F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Drive Train Set up
Studio RSR

02-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Drive Train Set up

The members that have adaptive can you run through the options you have in the system and how it links with sport Auto box and steering with or with out VSS and I heard someone mention the settings alter brake feel with M Performance Brakes found that strange link to get my head round
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
The members that have adaptive can you run through the options you have in the system and how it links with sport Auto box and steering with or with out VSS and I heard someone mention the settings alter brake feel with M Performance Brakes found that strange link to get my head round
Hi Derek,

On cars with adaptive suspension, there are two things you can select independently in Sport mode: Chassis and Drivetrain. The menu shows three options:
- Chassis and drivetrain
- Drivetrain only
- Chassis only

'Chassis only' setting does three things:
1. Firms up the dampers for progressive driving
2. Adds extra weight and feel to the steering (more so if you have VSS)
3. Firms up brake pedal, reduces travel and increases feel (I have M Sport brakes and I don't know if this behaviour is limited to those brakes, or same for standard brakes)

'Drivetrain only' also changes three things:
1. Significantly sharpens throttle response (quite addictive)
2. Raises rpm at a given speed in given driving situation - main effect is to keep revs at 18,000 rpm or higher, even on a neutral throttle, so the turbo spins up immediately when you hit the pedal
3. Makes gear changes more aggressive: Holds onto higher revs before shifting up and executes each shift faster, with quicker lock-up

'Chassis and Drivetrain' gives you both at once and is quite an intoxicating mix in the 330d, as there is instant forward thrust whenever you brush the accelerator and the car feels very planted and biddable.

Compared to Sport, Comfort simply slackens off all these things, including chassis. Eco Pro makes no further change to Chassis settings, but softens throttle response quite heavily and sets the 'box to keep rpm between 1,200 and 1,800 (assuming of course, you're not hammering along at 85mph on the motorway).

I generally configure Sport as Drivetrain and Chassis, but sometimes drive with just Chassis, which gives a nice mix of the solid, planted and biddable feel, with a more relaxed engine rpm, but enough immediate grunt for most situations.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, I meant to add that you can flip the gear lever to the left for Sport setting. You then see 'S4', 'S5' etc on instrument panel.

If you're in the mood, this gives you a further lift over the full Sport driving mode setting (Chassis and Drivetrain), holding on to the revs still further and making the changes faster still. Changes are impressively quick in standard Sport driving mode, but they're remarkably quick with the box in full 'S' mode - almost up there with DCT systems.

With the gear lever pushed left, you also have full manual control of the box as soon as you use one of the steerage wheel paddles (i.e. the box stays in manual from then on until you flip the lever back to the right. This contrasts with standard setting, where if you use the paddles, the car defaults back to Auto mode after about 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Sorry, I meant to add that you can flip the gear lever to the left for Sport setting. You then see 'S4', 'S5' etc on instrument panel.

If you're in the mood, this gives you a further lift over the full Sport driving mode setting (Chassis and Drivetrain), holding on to the revs still further and making the changes faster still. Changes are impressively quick in standard Sport driving mode, but they're remarkably quick with the box in full 'S' mode - almost up there with DCT systems.

With the gear lever pushed left, you also have full manual control of the box as soon as you use one of the steerage wheel paddles (i.e. the box stays in manual from then on until you flip the lever back to the right. This contrasts with standard setting, where if you use the paddles, the car defaults back to Auto mode after about 30 seconds.
Dave thank you very much great info I see I'm going to have a lot of fun coming from a manual 330d m sport 2006 so far more torque and power so does the last option turn off traction control, and in sport are you saying it reverts to auto if you don't flick the lever to the right? Thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Hi Derek,

'Drivetrain only' also changes three things:
1. Significantly sharpens throttle response (quite addictive)
2. Raises rpm at a given speed in given driving situation - main effect is to keep revs at 18,000 rpm or higher, even on a neutral throttle, so the turbo spins up immediately when you hit the pedal
Dave
That's a hell of an engine
      02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
Aye M1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
Ehh .. oops. Kkkkeyboard bbbounce ... :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dave thank you very much great info I see I'm going to have a lot of fun coming from a manual 330d m sport 2006 so far more torque and power so does the last option turn off traction control, and in sport are you saying it reverts to auto if you don't flick the lever to the right? Thanks Derek
Hi Derek,

Yes, I think you'll love the change from your 2006 car. I forgot to mention last of the three driving modes, Sport+. I'm honestly not sure exactly what it does, but think it kills traction control, but keeps stability control in play, but toned down versus sport.

Re auto box, if you have the lever to the right (standard), the box always reverts to Auto after 30 seconds or so after your last change via paddle. If you push the lever to the left, but don't use the paddles, you simply get faster, later changes. But if you do use the paddles, the car then stays in manual, until you move the lever back to the right.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Derek,

Yes, I think you'll love the change from your 2006 car. I forgot to mention last of the three driving modes, Sport+. I'm honestly not sure exactly what it does, but think it kills traction control, but keeps stability control in play, but toned down versus sport.

Re auto box, if you have the lever to the right (standard), the box always reverts to Auto after 30 seconds or so after your last change via paddle. If you push the lever to the left, but don't use the paddles, you simply get faster, later changes. But if you do use the paddles, the car then stays in manual, until you move the lever back to the right.
Thanks that clears that up, any tips on knowing the correct gear apart from looking at dash is 7&8 just like over drive and 6th same as 6th ratio in old e90?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks that clears that up, any tips on knowing the correct gear apart from looking at dash is 7&8 just like over drive and 6th same as 6th ratio in old e90?
No, 7th & 8th are normal driving gears. The box just has 8 gears which are quite closely spaced. It's a really wonderful box - I was another person who had previously discounted autos as boring, but this turns your head around.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
No, 7th & 8th are normal driving gears. The box just has 8 gears which are quite closely spaced. It's a really wonderful box - I was another person who had previously discounted autos as boring, but this turns your head around.
Thanks Dave so is it just the M Sport that has sport auto as standard? Aye I thing I will grow to love it
Appreciate 0