F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Those blockheads forgot to remove the shipping blocks!
proTUNING Freaks

02-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #23
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Why would you lower yourself asking for a keychain for this? Is a keychain all it takes to make you happy? How about just fixing the problem.

5 yo mentality.
A hat is all it takes to make me happy,

but seriously i was throwing it out there tongue in cheek to ask for something but apparently there are some very serious people on these forums....

good thing they fixed it asap, not really much they can do from a training stand point because it is on the checklist other than reminding their techs to "Do your job"
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
^you would know instantly. Car sits about 4" higher and has no suspension travel. Can't believe OP drove it off the lot.
Believe it. You've driven a F30 with the shipping blocks in, I take it? It certainly wasn't apparent to me looking at the car that the blocks were still in. It definitely wasn't 4" higher. Frankly, it looked pretty much the same as any other X-drive model, or close enough that it wasn't immediately apparent.

The suspension was noticeably stiffer, but not to the point where it is fair to say "no suspension travel." Dramatically reduced? Definitely. But we have surprisingly good roads here, and it was only after driving over some significant bumps that the light went off for me.

I think this is the kind of thing that many people would simply chalk up to a really firm suspension rather than instantly realizing the dealer forgot to remove the shipping blocks. I'd go so far to venture that the vast majority of folks aren't even aware of shipping blocks. I'm fortunate that I just came out of a similarly equipped F30 so recognized something was different, and also that I was aware that blocks had been left in on others' vehicles after delivery. I also know from my M3 what a proper firm suspension feels like. Absent those things, I'm not sure the typical purchaser would instantly know what the problem was. Of course, the typical BMW purchaser these days will proudly tell you about the bitchin' V6 engine in the 335, so they aren't exactly what I'd call "car people."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #25
55Nomad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
... I'm not sure the typical purchaser would instantly know what the problem was. Of course, the typical BMW purchaser these days will proudly tell you about the bitchin' V6 engine in the 335, so they aren't exactly what I'd call "car people."
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #26
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Believe it. You've driven a F30 with the shipping blocks in, I take it? It certainly wasn't apparent to me looking at the car that the blocks were still in. It definitely wasn't 4" higher. Frankly, it looked pretty much the same as any other X-drive model, or close enough that it wasn't immediately apparent.

The suspension was noticeably stiffer, but not to the point where it is fair to say "no suspension travel." Dramatically reduced? Definitely. But we have surprisingly good roads here, and it was only after driving over some significant bumps that the light went off for me.

I think this is the kind of thing that many people would simply chalk up to a really firm suspension rather than instantly realizing the dealer forgot to remove the shipping blocks. I'd go so far to venture that the vast majority of folks aren't even aware of shipping blocks. I'm fortunate that I just came out of a similarly equipped F30 so recognized something was different, and also that I was aware that blocks had been left in on others' vehicles after delivery. I also know from my M3 what a proper firm suspension feels like. Absent those things, I'm not sure the typical purchaser would instantly know what the problem was. Of course, the typical BMW purchaser these days will proudly tell you about the bitchin' V6 engine in the 335, so they aren't exactly what I'd call "car people."
I haven't driven a car with those blocks in but their purpose is to virtually eliminate suspension travel during shipment so vehicle can be transported more securely. The way they do this is to raise car and fit block in suspension at or near the top of suspension travel. I've seen many and they are much higher than stock. No chance I'd take delivery. Sorry for assuming everyone would notice.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #27
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
I haven't driven a car with those blocks in but their purpose is to virtually eliminate suspension travel during shipment so vehicle can be transported more securely. The way they do this is to raise car and fit block in suspension at or near the top of suspension travel. I've seen many and they are much higher than stock. No chance I'd take delivery. Sorry for assuming everyone would notice.
Its no higher than stock. You can tell there are blocks in my suspension?

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #28
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Its no higher than stock. You can tell there are blocks in my suspension?

Looks pretty high to me. It's lower now that the blocks have been removed isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #29
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Looks pretty high to me. It's lower now that the blocks have been removed isn't it?
Not really. The GT sits pretty high.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #30
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Not really. The GT sits pretty high.

Glad it's fixed. Pretty basic PDI. Clean car, fill tank/fluids, check for codes , pull blocks, deliver car. Hard to miss. Oh well.
Appreciate 0