F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Issues after letting friend drive car
Studio RSR

11-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
jer335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Issues after letting friend drive car

Hey everyone,

I have 2014 335i with the ZF8 sport automatic. There’s about 38k on it. I’ve noticed that the past week it’s been shifting kind of jerky, clunky. It’s hard to reproduce but happens mainly in bumper to bumper traffic (I spend hour 2 hours in bumper to bumper each day). During the 1-2-1 shifts, it feels really jerky almost like a manual when letting off the clutch too early. Also, I’ve noticed the upshifts feel a little delayed, almost like the gear is being held too longer, resulting in an overly firm shift. I used to be able to hear the turbos spool under light acceleration but I don’t seem to hear them anymore, unless I’m applying heavy throttle.

Not sure if this could be related but the other week, I let my friend drive and he was revving the engine on a cold start while in park. He also threw the car in neutral back into drive while moving in a parking lot since he wasn’t familiar with the shifter when he was trying to park. Note to self I’m never letting him drive again.

I’ve seen numerous threads regarding ZF jerky transmission post even for other car manufactures that use the ZF8. However, the car was driving fine until my friend drove it. Not sure if it’s just me being paranoid that he might have broke something revving the engine in park on a cold start or by throwing car into drive from neutral while moving.

Other than that, the car pulls and shifts great under heavy throttle.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer335 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have 2014 335i with the ZF8 sport automatic. There’s about 38k on it. I’ve noticed that the past week it’s been shifting kind of jerky, clunky. It’s hard to reproduce but happens mainly in bumper to bumper traffic (I spend hour 2 hours in bumper to bumper each day). During the 1-2-1 shifts, it feels really jerky almost like a manual when letting off the clutch too early. Also, I’ve noticed the upshifts feel a little delayed, almost like the gear is being held too longer, resulting in an overly firm shift. I used to be able to hear the turbos spool under light acceleration but I don’t seem to hear them anymore, unless I’m applying heavy throttle.

Not sure if this could be related but the other week, I let my friend drive and he was revving the engine on a cold start while in park. He also threw the car in neutral back into drive while moving in a parking lot since he wasn’t familiar with the shifter when he was trying to park. Note to self I’m never letting him drive again.

I’ve seen numerous threads regarding ZF jerky transmission post even for other car manufactures that use the ZF8. However, the car was driving fine until my friend drove it. Not sure if it’s just me being paranoid that he might have broke something revving the engine in park on a cold start or by throwing car into drive from neutral while moving.

Mine does the same in 1-2-1 gears, more prevalent in Comfort Mode. I usually switch to Eco Pro and turn ASS off when I'm in traffic, much better.
      11-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Mine does the same in 1-2-1 gears, more prevalent in Comfort Mode. I usually switch to Eco Pro and turn ASS off when I'm in traffic, much better.
Yeah I’ve tried the eco mode with AS/S off. It does help. However I’m just wondering why all of a sudden it’s more jerky than usual. Prior to letting my friend drive the car it felt over all smooth in those gears. Not sure if it’s all in my mind or if my friend broke something.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Maybe schedule an appointment and make sure latest transmission software is in your car.

My dad's X5 x35i was doing same thing
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Maybe schedule an appointment and make sure latest transmission software is in your car.

My dad's X5 x35i was doing same thing
I have an appointment set up. Just hopefully they find something. It’s hard to reproduce but it’s noticeable in traffic and parking lots. Aside from that, do you think any damage was done by revving it on a cold start in park? Also from moving from drive to neutral and back to drive while the car was in motion that could have caused the shifting to be more jerky than it was?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
I have an appointment set up. Just hopefully they find something. It’s hard to reproduce but it’s noticeable in traffic and parking lots. Aside from that, do you think any damage was done by revving it on a cold start in park? Also from moving from drive to neutral and back to drive while the car was in motion that could have caused the shifting to be more jerky than it was?
my guess would be no damage
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Goose'n a cold engine is never a good idea but there is a difference between a cold engine that was run six hours ago vs one run six weeks ago. Also a big difference between reving to four or five thousand RPM for a second vs hitting the rev limiter repeatedly or holding it there for any period of time. My guess is your problem is unrelated but don't let that friend behind the wheel again.
      11-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Goose'n a cold engine is never a good idea but there is a difference between a cold engine that was run six hours ago vs one run six weeks ago. Also a big difference between reving to four or five thousand RPM for a second vs hitting the rev limiter repeatedly or holding it there for any period of time. My guess is you're problem is unrelated but don't let that friend behind the wheel again.
The engine was cold start sitting maybe 5 hours or so. I didn’t see what RPM he revved to as I was in the passenger seat with no idea he was going to start revving it. Do you think any damage could have happened to the turbos or anything internally with the engine since the oil pressure wasn’t at operating temperatures?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Do you think any damage could have happened to the turbos or anything internally with the engine since the oil pressure wasn’t at operating temperatures?
Not where you live. In Alaska in January, sure.
Appreciate 1
stormlv932.00
      11-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Not where you live. In Alaska in January, sure.
This.
      11-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
jer335
Private
Rep

Could the transmission be damaged from when my friend was moving the gear selector from drive to neutral to drive while the car was in motion at about 10mph or so?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Could the transmission be damaged from when my friend was moving the gear selector from drive to neutral to drive while the car was in motion at about 10mph or so?
I don't see how.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
jer335
Private
Rep

Does anyone know if there is a rev limit while cold in park? I know the m cars won’t rev past 4K while cold in park.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #14
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

I highly doubt cold star revving would cause any break like that. So many cold start revving videos on the tube. I feel like it's something else but definitely don't let him drive or go into the drivers seat again!
      11-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I really doubt your friend was able to do any damage to the car.

My father-in-law revved my 435 thinking it was in drive (also cold engine) and the car was absolutely fine afterwards.

Regarding the shift to neutral, that's absolutely fine as well.
I've also done it to see if it's possible and nothing bad happened.
Moreover, in ECO PRO the gearbox will itself shift to neutral (and back) and go into coasting on the hwy, to save fuel.

Maybe now that you had that bad experience with your buddy, you're much more aware of clunks and noises which made you notice this issue?
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #16
Patrick852
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 15 320iED, 18 X2 sDrive20i MSX

I've tried shifting from N to D while the car is moving, it was not allowed unless you press the brake to a complete stop of the vehicle. I don't see how your friend did that.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #17
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Probably just need a transmission reset. My transmission and throttle were twitchy like that the first year or two but have since settled down.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #18
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick852 View Post
I've tried shifting from N to D while the car is moving, it was not allowed unless you press the brake to a complete stop of the vehicle. I don't see how your friend did that.
Maybe because my friend was going only about 10mph. I’m sure at higher speeds the transmission would prevent that. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #19
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
I really doubt your friend was able to do any damage to the car.

My father-in-law revved my 435 thinking it was in drive (also cold engine) and the car was absolutely fine afterwards.

Regarding the shift to neutral, that's absolutely fine as well.
I've also done it to see if it's possible and nothing bad happened.
Moreover, in ECO PRO the gearbox will itself shift to neutral (and back) and go into coasting on the hwy, to save fuel.

Maybe now that you had that bad experience with your buddy, you're much more aware of clunks and noises which made you notice this issue?
It could be all in my head thinking there’s something wrong. My friend went from drive to neutral and while moving threw it back into drive but was only going about 10mph when that happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:33 AM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Friends don't let friends drive their cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #21
Knuckle89
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE 6MT MY2013

A little bit different car, I had a 530d 2007 with a zf6, when I bought it the shifts seemed to hold a bit and jerkked now and again. My EGR was faulty and when I deactivated it to test the shifts improved too. It was definitely linked.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #22
jer335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle89 View Post
A little bit different car, I had a 530d 2007 with a zf6, when I bought it the shifts seemed to hold a bit and jerkked now and again. My EGR was faulty and when I deactivated it to test the shifts improved too. It was definitely linked.
So are you saying that my EGR could have been possibly damaged from Cold revving in park or from moving the transmission from drive to neutral and back to drive while the vechicle was in motion?
Appreciate 0