F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Updated Nav
GetBMWParts

09-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Do you think Germans can be flexible?
Nein, nein nein, nein! Four neins for the 4th Reich.
That should read Ze Germans, dude. Ze.
      09-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
That should read Ze Germans, dude. Ze.
Corrected!!
      10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Went into the dealers today (supposedly just to drop off some paperwork, lol) and ended up playing with both new and old versions of Pro Nav 609.

Got to say, software wise they seem very similar.

Sure there are some features on the new version that the old doesn't have, but these I would class as a gimmick type thing, something you would rarely use.

For what you use it for, i.e. Nav there is little difference in the graphics and clarity, newer one being a little sharper, but you need to compare both almost together to notice.

Where the new version does shine, is, it is very quick. Going onto the older version, you get this pregnant pause between each button press. Annoying after the instantaneous new version. Destination mapping seemed a fair bit quicker on the new one too.

Verdict is, (bear in mind this is after maybe 10 minutes on both) those with the older system aren't really missing out much at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #26
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Verdict is, (bear in mind this is after maybe 10 minutes on both) those with the older system aren't really missing out much at all.
As an 'old' 609 owner, that's comforting to hear

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 10-12-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
A an 'old' 609 owner, that's comforting to hear
+1

Although cant say the nav has a pause on my new 1er.
      10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Is there an easy way to spot the difference when looking at a car?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Is there an easy way to spot the difference when looking at a car?
On the 'old' system, menu items are highlighted with a distinct coloured border. On the new system I think they get a soft glow instead.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Went into the dealers today (supposedly just to drop off some paperwork, lol) and ended up playing with both new and old versions of Pro Nav 609.

Sure there are some features on the new version that the old doesn't have, but these I would class as a gimmick type thing, something you would rarely use.

For what you use it for, i.e. Nav there is little difference in the graphics and clarity, newer one being a little sharper, but you need to compare both almost together to notice.

Where the new version does shine, is, it is very quick. Going onto the older version, you get this pregnant pause between each button press. Annoying after the instantaneous new version. Destination mapping seemed a fair bit quicker on the new one too.

NISFAN.. I was told the new one has better 3D landscaping/imaging and greater picture granularity.. did it feel like that?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #31
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

I am driving the F31 328i with new NAV (on loan ), I agree with your comments , but the new system being so much quicker and voice commands clearer, coupled with instant TMS it's way in front of any other car manufacturers sat-nav systems.
The old system drove me made, going at speed with nav on I could be on the corner i needed to take when the nav would then tell me to turn as I was "passing it"
Lots of new toys as you say that many prohaps would not use, music lovers can load the so much music and access it with such speed it's fab IMO.
      10-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #32
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post
NISFAN.. I was told the new one has better 3D landscaping/imaging and greater picture granularity.. did it feel like that?
I found some images:

OLDER

NEW (Notice the glint on the more chrome looking icon)

OLDER

NEW (Notice the extra option icons on the left hand side)

I guess the images do show the older one to be granular, but not as different in real terms as the pics may show, old nav is perfectly functional.

Speed wise the new system is noticeably better, instant reaction to buttons and page changes.

Last edited by NISFAN; 10-13-2012 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #33
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Do you get 3D streetview maps and stuff on the older NAV?
      10-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Do you get 3D streetview maps and stuff on the older NAV?
Yes, well 3D buildings view at least (see pic below when we were driving thru Newcastle).

Difficult to compare when not looking at exactly the same location. The earlier pic would suggest the 3D view of the buildings themselves is more detailed. However I've found that for the vast majority of towns there is no 3D mapping which I assume is down to the map data. For example drive through Brighton and all the buildings show up in 3D, and some even have fine detail on them. Carry on driving into Hove and the buildings disappear to be replaced by the default grey shading. That may be true of the newer nav as well?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #35
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Difficult to compare when not looking at exactly the same location. The earlier pic would suggest the 3D view of the buildings themselves is more detailed. However I've found that for the vast majority of towns there is no 3D mapping which I assume is down to the map data. For example drive through Brighton and all the buildings show up in 3D, and some even have fine detail on them. Carry on driving into Hove and the buildings disappear to be replaced by the default grey shading. That may be true of the newer nav as well?
Yes, true for new one too.....relies on detail contained in map data.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #36
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
I found some images:

OLDER

NEW (Notice the glint on the more chrome looking icon)

OLDER

NEW (Notice the extra option icons on the left hand side)

I guess the images do show the older one to be granular, but not as different in real terms as the pics may show, old nav is perfectly functional.

Speed wise the new system is noticeably better, instant reaction to buttons and page changes.
NISFAN.. thanks dude! The pics make it easy to see..

I guess the main difference is the processor speed and the 3D building effect being a nice touch.. the salesman at the dealership did say that the bigger town's would have more detail on the buildings so that you would be able to distinguish between them..I guess the proofs in the pudding.. 9.5 weeks left and the wait is killing me!! When is your F30 due?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #37
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post
NISFAN.. thanks dude! The pics make it easy to see..

I guess the main difference is the processor speed and the 3D building effect being a nice touch.. the salesman at the dealership did say that the bigger town's would have more detail on the buildings so that you would be able to distinguish between them..I guess the proofs in the pudding.. 9.5 weeks left and the wait is killing me!! When is your F30 due?
I'm hoping about 7 weeks.....can't wait
Appreciate 0