F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > X drive ftw
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #45
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Congrats man, that's a good record. I am in NJ and you are so right, we really do not get that much snow here especially over the last couple of years.
You are clearly about 20 yrs old and know everything. The rest of us understand that summer tires are useless when the temp drops. After reading your posts over the last few day I understand that your are not very knowledgeable and you did not search your car before you bought it. Everyone that knows anything about cars knows that you buy a dedicated set of winters and summers if you are interested in safety and getting the most out of your car. 300 thinks his m sport xdrive with staggered is THE setup. Good for you . Put winters on it and it will be pretty good. You will go through two sets of tires in the life of the car so why not make one winters?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #46
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
Tomorrow's topic:

How the hell didn't my BMW's ABS system prevent me from going into that huge tree at the bottom of the hill?!
Lol

Yeah a RWD car with winters and DTC mode on will do even better than your car did. Just FYI
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #47
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Some girls wear mini skirt in dead winter. Fine by me -
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #48
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS
Quote:
Congrats man, that's a good record. I am in NJ and you are so right, we really do not get that much snow here especially over the last couple of years.
You are clearly about 20 yrs old and know everything. The rest of us understand that summer tires are useless when the temp drops. After reading your posts over the last few day I understand that your are not very knowledgeable and you did not search your car before you bought it. Everyone that knows anything about cars knows that you buy a dedicated set of winters and summers if you are interested in safety and getting the most out of your car. 300 thinks his m sport xdrive with staggered is THE setup. Good for you . Put winters on it and it will be pretty good. You will go through two sets of tires in the life of the car so why not make one winters?
Amen.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #49
lewishamilton
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i SL MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
+1

02-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #50
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
You clearly have not read anything that I said and have a good way of misrepresenting my posts. Fwiw I have 3 cars, two with awd and all seasons so I have no need to drive my m sport with staggered if it cannot handle the snow. I have an X5 and knew quite a bit about BMWs prior to my purchase. The reason I went with my staggered set up is I knew if it could not handle the winter I can park it so please spare me the lecture on winter tires or research on cars.

You keep stating everyone who knows about tires should put on winters, that's a subject for great debate as there are multiple threads dedicated to that issue. It's bigger than me or you and another way you try to distort my posts.

Here are the issues:
I have 3 cars so I do not need to drive the f30 if its dangerous out there, btw I have not murdered even a squirrel during the past snow storms.
I have driven my f30 at reasonable speeds with no issues and acknowledged multiple times that the car does not stop well but at reasonable speeds its ok.
I doubt the 335i with no x drive and staggered tires will be able to drive like the x drive m sports with the staggered set up in the snow.
I do not wish to drive my cars beyond 45-55 mph in the snow because its dangerous and I have no point to prove when I am driving.
I have no desire to put on winters on all 3 cars, non at all

Work with that, it's very consistent with what I have been saying all along and feel free to create another thread on winters if that's what you want to discuss. Before you start that thread ask yourself how the the fwd cars out there are managing without winters, and also refer to the post about 60% of Canadians who are not using winters. Are those 60% murdering people over there?

Btw, I am 34, not 20

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #51
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You clearly have not read anything that I said and have a good way of misrepresenting my posts. Fwiw I have 3 cars, two with awd and all seasons so I have no need to drive my m sport with staggered if it cannot handle the snow. I have an X5 and knew quite a bit about BMWs prior to my purchase. The reason I went with my staggered set up is I knew if it could not handle the winter I can park it so please spare me the lecture on winter tires or research on cars.

You keep stating everyone who knows about tires should put on winters, that's a subject for great debate as there are multiple threads dedicated to that issue. It's bigger than me or you and another way you try to distort my posts.

Here are the issues:
I have 3 cars so I do not need to drive the f30 if its dangerous out there, btw I have not murdered even a squirrel during the past snow storms.
I have driven my f30 at reasonable speeds with no issues and acknowledged multiple times that the car does not stop well but at reasonable speeds its ok.
I doubt the 335i with no x drive and staggered tires will be able to drive like the x drive m sports with the staggered set up in the snow.
I do not wish to drive my cars beyond 45-55 mph in the snow because its dangerous and I have no point to prove when I am driving.

Work with that, it's very consistent with what I have been saying all along and feel free to create another thread on winters if that's what you want to discuss. Before you start that thread ask yourself how the the fwd cars out there are managing without winters, and also refer to the post about 60% of Canadians who are not using winters. Are those 60% murdering people over there?

Btw, I am 34, not 20
You dont get it. See the video. No debate...its fact. I'm not making this up.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #52
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Here are the issues:

Btw, I am 34, not 20
You dont get it. See the video. No debate...its fact. I'm not making this up.
It's fact that dedicated winters are the best in winter. What is debatable is whether everyone should use them at all. If the provinces in Canada don't even agree on whether to mandate that shows how far apart people are in terms of using them.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #53
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's fact that dedicated winters are the best in winter. What is debatable is whether everyone should use them at all. If the provinces in Canada don't even agree on whether to mandate that shows how far apart people are in terms of using them.
wow. You win.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #54
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Well, population density is Manhattan. Miles driven over the years... 200k? 300k?

Yes, If I was in PA or Vermont or Colorado or wherever, I'd invest in some winter tires. But this is NY. They salt the roads BEFORE it snows. Same in NJ. I was there this morning at 8AM after a night of snow, and guess what? Not a speck of snow on the roads. The only place we'll have to deal with snow is on our own driveways. And no, I'm not gonna spend 2-3k to get up a driveway.
Shit, Manhattan - that's pretty crazy awesome then. True, here in CT, there's layers of salt when they even hear of the risk of snow....

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #55
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Fact:

Everyone here sees topic: "Summer tires in winter" and immediately goes on a trolling/bashing/name-calling rampage.

Fact:

Majority of same people have never been to NJ/NY or anywhere near it. In fact, most are way up north in Canada. And yet they feel justified in telling us what is "needed" for our area, what conditions are like in our area, and that we are threats for not doing what they feel is "right". Go tell our friends in Malaysia or Australia that they need winter tires, see what they say.

Fact:

They automatically assume that anyone who doesn't agree with them either didn't do their research, is young and therefore immature, or just plain stupid.

Fact:

These same people that claim "omg temps are below 30F and you are using summer tires? YOU'RE A MENACE" will also drive 100+ mph on a highway and not think it dangerous, because "they are good drivers who know how to drive and have good cars that can stop blah blah".

Fact:

My summer tires on a wet surface in 30F weather will stop faster at 60mph than your winter tires on dry road going 100mph. So I'm a safer driver than you.

Fact:

Most of you have probably also changed lanes frequently without signalling. Guess what? This is one of the greatest causes of traffic accidents. Much more dangerous than using summer tires in the winter in NJ/NY

Get off your high horses. Go outside and get a dose of reality. Go look at all the cars out there driving around with no tread on their wheels, broken tailights, running without lights at midnight, weaving through traffic, etc.

Both me and 300hp have clearly stated that our driving on summer tires during winter has been limited to either completely dry days, or days with minimal snow (1-2 inches), on major roads that are maintained 24/7 by plows and salt. Yet you all choose to ignore said statements, somehow jump to the conclusion we're swerving around the highway in 2 foot thick snowfall, and then bash us for this figment of your imagination. Who's the immature ones now?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #56
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry man, I'm on my Summer Continental ContisportContact SSRs right now. Everyone here is so eager to scream were liabilities, dangers, blah blah blahity blah. The same people don't think twice about doing 100 on a highway. I'm pretty sure my stopping distance going 60 in an inch of snow on summer tires is less than yours at 100 in winters on dry road.

According to these people 10 years ago no car should have been on the road during snow, since back then there was no such thing as winter tires as they are defined today.

Hell, I took my 1990 Nissan Sentra POS through a snowstorm fine. I think my 2013 BMW can handle it. Yes, winter tires are better. But that's like saying "OMG THE FRONT OF YOUR CAR ISN'T MADE OF PLAYDOH? YOU'RE A HAZARD!"
Great analogy. We didnt have seatbelts either. Drum brakes and biased ply tires. I'm guessing you have never heard of these the last two.............
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #57
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great analogy. We didnt have seatbelts either. Drum brakes and biased ply tires. I'm guessing you have never heard of these the last two.............
Man you need to chill and find a new vent for your angst. Maybe go to a gym or something. You seem to want to turn every calm and fact based discussion into a name-calling bash-fest to make yourself feel better.

If you were driving 10 years ago with drum brakes and no seatbelts, I feel bad for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #58
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Man you need to chill and find a new vent for your angst. Maybe go to a gym or something. You seem to want to turn every calm and fact based discussion into a name-calling bash-fest to make yourself feel better.

If you were driving 10 years ago with drum brakes and no seatbelts, I feel bad for you.
Not calling anyone names. I just get tired of people spreading uneducated "facts". Doesnt make me feel any better. Most of this forum is good. Entertaining too.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #59
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD lol.

Couple of times each winter, I take the Roadster out with the top down to keep the battery charged. My wide summer tires roll and work like tires. Anything over 2500rpms, enough for the blower to make any boost and I fishtail violently. It's fun, but it ain't too smart and says nothing about tire competency.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #60
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Fact:

Everyone here sees topic: "Summer tires in winter" and immediately goes on a trolling/bashing/name-calling rampage.

Fact:

Majority of same people have never been to NJ/NY or anywhere near it. In fact, most are way up north in Canada. And yet they feel justified in telling us what is "needed" for our area, what conditions are like in our area, and that we are threats for not doing what they feel is "right". Go tell our friends in Malaysia or Australia that they need winter tires, see what they say.

Fact:

They automatically assume that anyone who doesn't agree with them either didn't do their research, is young and therefore immature, or just plain stupid.

Fact:

These same people that claim "omg temps are below 30F and you are using summer tires? YOU'RE A MENACE" will also drive 100+ mph on a highway and not think it dangerous, because "they are good drivers who know how to drive and have good cars that can stop blah blah".

Fact:

My summer tires on a wet surface in 30F weather will stop faster at 60mph than your winter tires on dry road going 100mph. So I'm a safer driver than you.

Fact:

Most of you have probably also changed lanes frequently without signalling. Guess what? This is one of the greatest causes of traffic accidents. Much more dangerous than using summer tires in the winter in NJ/NY

Get off your high horses. Go outside and get a dose of reality. Go look at all the cars out there driving around with no tread on their wheels, broken tailights, running without lights at midnight, weaving through traffic, etc.

Both me and 300hp have clearly stated that our driving on summer tires during winter has been limited to either completely dry days, or days with minimal snow (1-2 inches), on major roads that are maintained 24/7 by plows and salt. Yet you all choose to ignore said statements, somehow jump to the conclusion we're swerving around the highway in 2 foot thick snowfall, and then bash us for this figment of your imagination. Who's the immature ones now?

Re-read your post.
I only go 100+ at Mosport(racetrack) Wow...a little defensive.I couldnt care any less about what you do. Just trying to educate a little. Winters dont cost any more...youre going to go through at least 2 sets of tires in the life of your car so why not make 1 winters?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #61
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
wow. You win.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #62
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I have to agree with this.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #63
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not calling anyone names. I just get tired of people spreading uneducated "facts". Doesnt make me feel any better. Most of this forum is good. Entertaining too.
"Uneducated Facts".

What "uneducated facts" have we posted?

We said, "hey look, we took our cars out on summer tires in a bit of snow here in NJ/NY. Yes, they don't perform as well as winters, but we didn't feel any loss of control or that we were in danger. So if like us you're in an area that sees snow maybe 3 times a year, and even then none of it'll stick to the roads cause hey, our infrastructure makes damned sure it's plowed and salted like every other half hour, then don't freak out over winter tires."

We never claimed that summer tires do as well in snow as winters. We never told people who live in true snow regions to just say "oh well" and use summers. We aren't claiming to be driving our summer tires through snowstorms or 2 feet of ungroomed snow on a highway. We FACTUALLY related our own experiences in our area with our cars/roads.

As for you "not name-calling":

"You are clearly about 20 yrs old and know everything.... after reading your posts over the last few day I understand that your are not very knowledgeable and you did not search your car before you bought it... 300 thinks his m sport xdrive with staggered is THE setup. Good for you ."

Sounds pretty damned like name-calling to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #64
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
You have no concept of winter driving whatsoever. A car with all season takes 30 ft longer to stop than same car on winters. On summers you are a liability on the road. Troll.
Exactly....

I love how people talk about the fact they could make it up the hill with summers or all seasons, so "who needs winters?"...

Now... try going down that hill in traffic where you have to stop.... Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #65
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Yeah, this topic was pretty much guaranteed to go to hell.

Many all-seasons are barely better than summer tires in bad conditions. Some all-seasons are passable to pretty good, but many are just horrible crap even in slight slush. In that sense it's hard to argue the point.

I've driven on summer tires in the snow with AWD (not intentionally, but because of unexpected snow in Texas.) It "works" in the sense that you generally are safe from getting stuck in the light stuff, but you have to account for LOOOOOONG stopping distances and have to take turns at an absolute crawl. Even in light snow it's pretty terrible.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #66
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD lol.

Couple of times each winter, I take the Roadster out with the top down to keep the battery charged. My wide summer tires roll and work like tires. Anything over 2500rpms, enough for the blower to make any boost and I fishtail violently. It's fun, but it ain't too smart and says nothing about tire competency.
True for YOUR case, but YOUR case is not exactly identical to EVERYONE's situation. This is what I am getting to here. YOU cant claim that because YOU feel "not so smart" when driving YOUR roadster in the winter then anyone else who is doing the same should feel the same. That is how YOU feel and more power to YOU for feeling that way.

In my case, I understand that I can drive any of MY cars, I CHOOSE the one I want based on the circumstances. I CHOSE to drive MY F30 in the snow, I did not kill anyone, and right now its safe in my garage because I chose to drive something else today. Its not snowing today and the roads are dry.

I CHOOSE not to feel "not so smart", thats MY choice.

Dont make YOUR situation apply to MINE, we are not the same
Appreciate 0