F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ticking sounds after turning off engine..
Extreme Powerhouse

05-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
jpa74
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sports line

Ticking sounds after turning off engine..

I've recently noticed a lot of ticking sounds from the engine bay after turning off the engine. It starts rapid and then less frequent and is usually gone by 2-3 minutes.

I'm thinking it's the exhaust manifold or parts cooling, but I'm a little curious to know if this is normal. I hate to keep comparing, but my Accord never did this.

I filled my F30 up with BP 93 octane fuel and had no driving issues or sounds with engine on.

Anyone else also notice their F30 making sounds after ignition is off?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

My old E90 335i made ticking noises in the garage after turning the engine off; my current 335i xDrive makes ticking noises in the garage after turning the engine off; and my 750i xDrive makes ticking noises in the garage after turning the engine off.

All have been 100% reliable.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it my friend.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Every car I've ever owned made ticking noises after turning the ignition off...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Every car I've ever owned made ticking noises after turning the ignition off...
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

On a related note, there is an ad for the Regal GS where it is shown "ticking" on the driveway after some fun driving.

That's just the car cooling off.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post
I've recently noticed a lot of ticking sounds from the engine bay after turning off the engine. It starts rapid and then less frequent and is usually gone by 2-3 minutes.

I'm thinking it's the exhaust manifold or parts cooling, but I'm a little curious to know if this is normal. I hate to keep comparing, but my Accord never did this.

I filled my F30 up with BP 93 octane fuel and had no driving issues or sounds with engine on.

It's cos your Accord is made of plastic. JK JK!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Some of the ticking has to do with the exhaust components cooling which get really hot, especially the catalytic convertor. It is designed to do so.
      05-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74

Your car's engine is actually shrinking. The various parts are contracting when you turn it off.

You might be surprised to know that the car makes virtually the same sounds as it gets warm and expands as you drive off from a cool engine, but you don't usually hear it cause your driving and because the engine is on.

This tic tic tic of the engine contracting after power off and tic tic tic of the engine expanding after startup is what precisely makes the start/stop feature a ticking time bomb.

The added cycles of expansion and contraction eventually will catch up with the best made engines.

Another discernible reason not to use start/stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74

Your car's engine is actually shrinking. The various parts are contracting when you turn it off.

You might be surprised to know that the car makes virtually the same sounds as it gets warm and expands as you drive off from a cool engine, but you don't usually hear it cause your driving and because the engine is on.

This tic tic tic of the engine contracting after power off and tic tic tic of the engine expanding after startup is what precisely makes the start/stop feature a ticking time bomb.

The added cycles of expansion and contraction eventually will catch up with the best made engines.

^^ The ASS system (loving the abbreviation) does not conform to the common sense way of thinking to minimise wear and tear. I found it dangerous when I test drove a 328i, but I am not used to the system yet. Although that said, what can I change at a junction with an auto?! Apart from turn the thing off.

Yep, my 330d tick's on cool off - all my cars have - so no worries!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
jpa74
Private
Rep

Thanks for the answers.

I slept well.

I will be turning off my ASS.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

I'm no Engineer, but I highly doubt that the short time your engine is off with ASS there is that much expansion and contraction. Metai doesn't cool off that quickly.

Time will tell, but I think a lot of people are reaching a bit when it comes to ASS. Maybe if you kept the car for 20 years there would be a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It's NOT the engine and start/stop doesn't add any discernible strain. I'm not sure where you got your information but the engine doesn't really get that hot and if it did expand and contract that much it would leak like a sieve in no time. Besides, the engine is made from much thicker material and is cooled (by water and oil).

The exhaust (down pipe, catalytic convertor, various shields) is the culprit as it gets much, MUCH hotter (sometimes red hot) than the engine and much thinner and has hot gasses constantly forced thru it with no cooling. Your turbo may also make also make clicking noises as it gets very hot as well. The catalytic convertor is designed to get red hot to burn off unburnt gasses to decrease emissions. Just look at all of the heat shields around the exhaust. It is also made from thinner metals which are more likely to contract and expand.
      05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

My car does it. I hate it but it ticks...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post

lol is this your first car ever?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
jpa74
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwinds View Post
lol is this your first car ever?
Lol. No, not my first car...

But it is my first BMW and first $40K+ car.

So, I guess I'm expecting the exhaust to smell like roses and the seats to give me a full massage.

But alas, a car is a car....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote by micknugget

It's NOT the engine and start/stop doesn't add any discernible strain. I'm not sure where you got your information but the engine doesn't really get that hot and if it did expand and contract that much it would leak like a sieve in no time. Besides, the engine is made from much thicker material and is cooled (by water and oil).

The exhaust (down pipe, catalytic convertor, various shields) is the culprit as it gets much, MUCH hotter (sometimes red hot) than the engine and much thinner and has hot gasses constantly forced thru it with no cooling. Your turbo may also make also make clicking noises as it gets very hot as well. The catalytic convertor is designed to get red hot to burn off unburnt gasses to decrease emissions. Just look at all of the heat shields around the exhaust. It is also made from thinner metals which are more likely to contract and expand.

Is this a new liberal theory that engines don't get that hot?

The critical parts of an engine are generally made of the same
materials so the rate of expansion is consistent between parts. Different types of gaskets are used when you have different alloys that tend to expand and contract at different rates.

You can't visibly see an engine expanding and contracting. But, it is discernible by the noises that you hear when it cools.

In fact, an engine has a radiator to help keep the engine operating within normal limits. The radiator does not generate heat. Rather, the radiator gets hot from the heat inside the engine. Combustion generates heat.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is this a new liberal theory that engines don't get that hot?

The critical parts of an engine are generally made of the same
materials so the rate of expansion is consistent between parts. Different types of gaskets are used when you have different alloys that tend to expand and contract at different rates.

You can't visibly see an engine expanding and contracting. But, it is discernible by the noises that you hear when it cools.

In fact, an engine has a radiator to help keep the engine operating within normal limits. The radiator does not generate heat. Rather, the radiator gets hot from the heat inside the engine. Combustion generates heat.
I'm not sure where "liberal" comes from but go ahead and try to make insults as you are clearly very ignorant about cars and physics in general. The engines do not get nearly as hot as the exhaust. The exhaust is made from much thinner material and is shielded by numerous thin heat shields that also get very hot. Its the thinner and hotter metal that expands and contracts (much more than the engine) and therefore are the main reason for the ticking. It can also be the turbo but less likely unless that car has really been pushed.

If you don't believe me, use an infrared thermometer. In our racing engines, the headers would glow bright red while the engine remained significant cooler. Have you not seen a car with wrapped headers?? It's not for looks. Have you ever been told not to park over dry leaves? It's because the catalytic convertor is so hot that it can ignite them. Heck, look up catalytic convertor on the internet. It explains how hot they get and why they are meant to get that hot. Geez.

Oh, and for your radiator comment, yes engines have radiators to keep them cool because they do not run well hot due to all of the moving parts and internal friction. The radiator proves my point, not yours as to what gets really hot.
      05-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

My E90 has been doing it after every drive ever since I bought it back in 2005. No problem.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
My car does it. I hate it but it ticks...
Don't ever buy audio equipment with tubes. They often tick warming up and cooling off - and they glow in between.

All very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
Some of the ticking has to do with the exhaust components cooling which get really hot, especially the catalytic convertor. It is designed to do so.
This is the correct answer. Anyone who has been under the hood working on hot cars can tell you the exhaust system is where this noise comes from.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy
This is the correct answer. Anyone who has been under the hood working on hot cars can tell you the exhaust system is where this noise comes from.
I think we established that BMW engines have radiators and now you are pointing out they have exhausts.

The point is that the ticking sound comes from the engine rather than say a tire or the fender.

This generalization is in line with the OP's original post.

Nevertheless, after running the engine for a long drive at speed you will hear many tics and tocs with your head in the engine compartment after shutdown. The exhaust is only one source and not the only source. The radiator is another source and not the only source.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
I think we established that BMW engines have radiators and now you are pointing out they have exhausts.

The point is that the ticking sound comes from the engine rather than say a tire or the fender.

This generalization is in line with the OP's original post.

Nevertheless, after running the engine for a long drive at speed you will hear many tics and tocs with your head in the engine compartment after shutdown. The exhaust is only one source and not the only source. The radiator is another source and not the only source.
Wow... you really have a chip on your shoulder somehow over this. What is with the attitude and smart alek comments.

The OP offered he thought it was coming from the "engine compartment." Myself and others have offered up it is from the exhaust system. My comment is based on years spent working on cars with my head under the hood, or under the car itself on a lift. I have never heard the engine itself or a radiator tick during cool down like the OP described. If you think you have, that's great.

If you don't agree, that's fine. But there really is no need for your wise cracks.

Have a nice day.
Appreciate 0