F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mileage blocker issue
Extreme Powerhouse

06-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #1
gt11990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m sport 4 series

Mileage blocker issue

I need some help on how to tell if a millage blocker was installed in a bmw to stop millage from increasing then taken out again.

As i am looking to get a used bmw i see many love milage ones less than 10k but its a 2017 model some the seats do look like its worn but i dont know they seem good to be true plus its sold by trade dealers and not private

I want to know if they had stopped the milage then taken the blocker out once sold

Last edited by gt11990; 06-15-2022 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
CoopersF15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e Performance

Have it inspected by an independent to see if engine wear and chassis consumables is commensurate with a 10k mile car. It would have its original tires (check the manufacture date in the side) for example.

Things like bushings etc will indicate a higher mile car. If the place you are buying it from is lazy they wouldn't have done an oil or filter change. Filters in a 10k car would look like new.

Check cabin filters. Also should look new. I don't recall if the cabin filters have manufacturing date on them but if they did they'd be the year before or year of manufacture.

If they put a blocker in, they sure as hell didn't manage it's maintenance at the required intervals.
      06-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #3
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Excellent advice above. Also, approach it from a common sense perspective. It's 5 years old and have been driven 2000miles per year. That's possible but ask...why? My GTI was very low miles when I was buying it and I was unsure about the story I was given. So, I called the original dealership where it was maintained according to CarFax. They gave me some details and then mentioned "the older couple that owned it never really drove it much". That was great to understand the "why so low miles".

Also ask yourself, why did your mind jump to mileage blockers? Did you visit the broker and feel they were sketchy? If so, would you feel confident about other things they claim about the car? Or was this a BMW dealership loaner car that didn't see much mileage? So maybe the miles make sense. You should be able to get that info easily.

In this market, there aren't any great deals so when you see one, be careful!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 08:47 PM   #4
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
Excellent advice above. Also, approach it from a common sense perspective. It's 5 years old and have been driven 2000miles per year. That's possible but ask...why? My GTI was very low miles when I was buying it and I was unsure about the story I was given. So, I called the original dealership where it was maintained according to CarFax. They gave me some details and then mentioned "the older couple that owned it never really drove it much". That was great to understand the "why so low miles".

Also ask yourself, why did your mind jump to mileage blockers? Did you visit the broker and feel they were sketchy? If so, would you feel confident about other things they claim about the car? Or was this a BMW dealership loaner car that didn't see much mileage? So maybe the miles make sense. You should be able to get that info easily.

My 2017 had 19k when I bought it last year. I only put a little over 2k, this year I'll probably put 3k on it. I work from home and have a truck I drive to. So going to keep this low miles want to have it until they outlaw ice.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post

My 2017 had 19k when I bought it last year. I only put a little over 2k, this year I'll probably put 3k on it. I work from home and have a truck I drive to. So going to keep this low miles want to have it until they outlaw ice.
Outlaw ice! That is one proposal I can support 100% 😁
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #6
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
See if a dealer can pull service records.
I bought a 2019 X2 M35i in January 2021 and it only had 3800 miles on it.
Dealership was able to tell me it had an oil change in April of 2020 at 2000ish miles.
Old lady bought it and rarely drove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #7
Kbeezy86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC

Garage List
2017 BMW 430i GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
See if a dealer can pull service records.
I bought a 2019 X2 M35i in January 2021 and it only had 3800 miles on it.
Dealership was able to tell me it had an oil change in April of 2020 at 2000ish miles.
Old lady bought it and rarely drove it.
The dealership should be able to pull and see everything. I thought the same when I bought my CPO 2017 430i F36 with 17K last year. Dealership pulled all service records turns out vehicle was a lease by a law firm and barely got drove and returned early.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:37 AM   #8
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I didn’t buy mine at a bmw dealership but i saw what dealership was in the idrive and called them. They were very helpful and told me the history of the car.
Appreciate 0