F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Ipod 5th generation Compatibility
proTUNING Freaks

03-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

Ipod 5th generation Compatibility

Guys.
Hi one question. I want to buy a 5th generation Ipod. I just want to know if our cars are fully compatible.
http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

Right now I have a 160gb ipod classic but it’s giving me a hard time. The ipod constantly freezes and I have to restart it. Is this normal? Any idea / comment?
Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80
Guys.
Hi one question. I want to buy a 5th generation Ipod. I just want to know if our cars are fully compatible.

Right now I have a 160gb ipod classic but its giving me a hard time. The ipod constantly freezes and I have to restart it. Is this normal? Any idea / comment?
Thanks for your help
I had an issue with my 80G iPod Classic freezing constantly. I assumed it was a result of age (bought it in 2007 or 2008).

I purchased a 7th gen Nano this past weekend and so far I do not have issues (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I had an issue with my 80G iPod Classic freezing constantly. I assumed it was a result of age (bought it in 2007 or 2008).

I purchased a 7th gen Nano this past weekend and so far I do not have issues (knock on wood).
Mmmm mine is 2012. I thought i was the only one! maybe is something related to de firmware of the ipod classic.

Knock on wood
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
KevinYang619
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80
Guys.

Right now I have a 160gb ipod classic but its giving me a hard time. The ipod constantly freezes and I have to restart it. Is this normal? Any idea / comment?
Thanks for your help
i have the iPod touch 5th gen but haven't test it yet. My car will be here soon so I would give a try and tell you the result.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Maxpnc
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

You do realize ipod classic is based on mechanical hard drives right? They are susceptible to vibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinYang619 View Post
i have the iPod touch 5th gen but haven't test it yet. My car will be here soon so I would give a try and tell you the result.
Thank u bro! that will be great
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpnc View Post
You do realize ipod classic is based on mechanical hard drives right? They are susceptible to vibration.
YEs! thats the reason i want to upgrade to a SSD device, like the touch model.
tks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Just to inform you that it worked perfectly, feel free to buy it! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpnc
Yes. I had the Classic in two prior vehicles without fail (the most recent a 2010 TSX).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
narlus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
i've run w/ an ipod before and it's not frozen up during use...pretty sure that my car's suspension is a lot smoother than my running style

also, my model car comes w/ an internal HDD to store cds...i am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it is not solid-state based, so it would be subject to the same vibrations, no?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Maxpnc
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus View Post
i've run w/ an ipod before and it's not frozen up during use...pretty sure that my car's suspension is a lot smoother than my running style

also, my model car comes w/ an internal HDD to store cds...i am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it is not solid-state based, so it would be subject to the same vibrations, no?
The car's internal HDD are mechanical as well, but I suspect map data and maybe music are the only thing on there. I should add that the vibration will not instantly kill your HDD equipped device, however, it will instead shorten its lifespan. After all, we are talking about a disk that's spinning at 5400rpm and a disk head that's hovering nanometres away from it (when reading/writing). The hard drive itself have gotten a lot better over the years, quite a bit more tolerate to vibration. The newer ipods are able to read an entire song into cache in a matter of milliseconds, however, there is still that chance of excessive g applied at the wrong moment that damage it. When an ipod starts to freeze, the damage is already done.

Then again, replacing it after 2-3 years is not that big of a deal. Solid state based ipods are getting larger and cheaper in any case.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
BarryK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post
YEs! thats the reason i want to upgrade to a SSD device, like the touch model.
tks!!
I used an iPod classic (the SAME one) in my last 2 BMWs ('02 330, '07 335) with no problem, so I wouldn't worry about vibrations...

I used that same iPod in my F30 when I got it, but it wouldn't display cover art correctly - fuzzy images - so I switched to a 128GB USB stick & all is well! it's cheaper than an iPod & no worries about having a hard drive based unit, although that isn't really a concern.

BTW, you do know that the the current NAV, etc.. Is hard drive based, don't you?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
narlus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
The car's internal HDD are mechanical as well, but I suspect map data and maybe music are the only thing on there. I should add that the vibration will not instantly kill your HDD equipped device, however, it will instead shorten its lifespan. After all, we are talking about a disk that's spinning at 5400rpm and a disk head that's hovering nanometres away from it (when reading/writing). The hard drive itself have gotten a lot better over the years, quite a bit more tolerate to vibration. The newer ipods are able to read an entire song into cache in a matter of milliseconds, however, there is still that chance of excessive g applied at the wrong moment that damage it. When an ipod starts to freeze, the damage is already done.

Then again, replacing it after 2-3 years is not that big of a deal. Solid state based ipods are getting larger and cheaper in any case.
I should note that my iPod is about 5 week's old, and this started happening almost immediately...so the vibration thing doesn't seem like a causal factor right out of the gate.

i would love a solid state device for the reasons you mentioned, but 22,000 songs is a lot (and i don't even have a bunch of bands i want on it...)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

We've had similar problems with both an older and a brand new iPod classic. Both work fine in my Miata, which has a lot more vibration my wife's 328. My suspicion is either a software/firmware problem, or a power stability problem. The second seems likely given that the auto stop feature keeps making my radar detector reboot.

Unfortunately neither BMW or Apple seem to consider the classics worth spending effort on these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe
We've had similar problems with both an older and a brand new iPod classic. Both work fine in my Miata, which has a lot more vibration my wife's 328. My suspicion is either a software/firmware problem, or a power stability problem. The second seems likely given that the auto stop feature keeps making my radar detector reboot.

Unfortunately neither BMW or Apple seem to consider the classics worth spending effort on these days.
My Classic worked great in my previous cars including a 2010 Acura TSX. It would freeze consistently even with ASS off in my 335. I bought a 7th gen Nano and have not had any issues thus far (hope I didn't jinx myself!). I believe it is a software issue as you mention.
Appreciate 0