F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Lane Departure Warning / Speed Limit Info
Studio RSR

02-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #45
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
As far as I know LDW does not require an FSC Code. New KAFAS contain 3 FSC Codes. 7E I know is SLI, but the BE and BF are just educated guesses at the moment, that I still need to confirm:

AppID 126 (7E) - Speed Limit Information (SLI) (S8THA)
AppID 190 (BE) - DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS (S5ATA) aka Front Collision Warning (FCW)
AppID 191 (BF) - Active cruise control+Stop&Go function (S5DFA)

I don't have a source for for these FSC Codes.

I think at best you can get HBA and basic LDW. Anymore likely requires the BE and or BF FSC Enabling Codes
I think you right I have my sources checking they have asked BMW AG (where they usually buy their FSC's from).

On a different forum I saw someone did the same and BMW refused to sell it as it was a safety warning.

I am dreading that might be the case

At least we have given this one a proper go

Thank you for all the help so far @shawnsheridan

One thing I find interesting dont know if its a 2014 thing *my car was built 24th Jan is that when I turned on LDW it moans about Pedestrian Warning system as well
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #46
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As I previously wrote, and this document confirms, the KAFAS camera / ECU is used for SLI, LDW, and HBA, unless car has HBA only, in which case it gets cheaper FLA Camera / ECU. The new FCW is also part of KAFAS, so the TRSVC (side and top view cameras) have nothing to do with any of these options.

Here are the relevant option codes involving KAFAS:

5AC High-beam assistant
5AD Lane departure warning
5AS DRIVING ASSISTANT
5AT DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS
8TH SPEED LIMIT INFO

5AS is 5AD Lane Departure Warning w/ Collision Warning
5AT is 5AS with added 5DF Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function and in some cases the new 5AR Traffic Jam Assistant function.

According to the document, LDW supposedly also includes basic Collision Warning Without Braking, If this is correct, it is something new as LDW originally did not have this capability, It also a source of confusion for me as when we talk of FCW (Forward Collision Warning), it is not clear if it is 5AD or 5AS or both.

In any event, you will not find a VO Code to set LDW on by default, so you will have to find the FDL Code. The ANZEIGEVARIANTE FDL Code is what it is in first generation KAFAS ECU, but with KAFAS2, it must be something else:

Attachment 977754
Confirmed in KAFAS2 there is no ANZEIGEVARIANTE.....

So something to ask:
I have added:

5AC High-beam assistant <--- Had this already from factory
5AD Lane departure warning <--------- Added this via VO and coded
5AS DRIVING ASSISTANT <----------- Recently added this as well
5AT DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS <------ I am assuming this is for ACC?

Is the night camera something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT or uses same kit?

I also saw some info on LDW and FCW being linked to keys interesting: I still (on my key) dont get the LDW lights showing in the Kombi when I boot up the car. I used my spare key the LDW and FCW car showed.....

Here are the errors I have been getting:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #47
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Night Vison is an entirely different animal. It has its own Camera mounted in the Grill and a NIVI ECU, and it has its own FSC Enabling Code.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #48
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Night Vison is an entirely different animal. It has its own Camera mounted in the Grill and a NIVI ECU, and it has its own FSC Enabling Code.
Retrofitable ? That's something I would spend time and money doing ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #49
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Everything is retrofittable if you are willing to pay for it. Camera / ECU and FSC Code is very expensive. Cost to Retrofit is probably $3.5k to $4k.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #50
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Everything is retrofittable if you are willing to pay for it. Camera / ECU and FSC Code is very expensive. Cost to Retrofit is probably $3.5k to $4k.
Ok....

and ACC - similar?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #51
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have no idea on ACC cost.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #52
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok looks like you need FSC codes for FDW and FCW regardless of if you have SLI or not. I have pinged my sources for these codes and will wait and see what they have to say.

I have it all coded but get:
1. Lane departure Warning Deactivated (Not an error message rather a info message)
2. Collision Warning Disabled (Error / Warning)
3. Pedestrian Warning Disabled (Error / Warning) --- I have no idea where this came from......

With other research it may seem (might be fruitless if I can't get the FSC codes) that one needs the button panel as well to make it work.

I am not or don't have access to the parts section so I don't know where or what part number is needed for the buttons panel. I have HUD but still not panel to activate or deactivate the HUD this in my car is done via the NBT.

@fenster could you take a pic of your button panel just want to see if its retrofittable or if its part of the entire dash
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #53
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know LDW does not require an FSC Code. New KAFAS contain 3 FSC Codes. 7E I know is SLI, but the BE and BF are just educated guesses at the moment, that I still need to confirm:

AppID 190 (BE) - DRIVING ASSISTANT PLUS (S5ATA) aka Front Collision Warning (FCW)

I don't have a source for for these FSC Codes.

I think at best you can get HBA and basic LDW. Anymore likely requires the BE and or BF FSC Enabling Codes
Ok the codes are not:

Apparently BMW AG says that's not LCW ... and for my region its not available (which makes not sense cause you can buy it on the car).

Maybe there is a LDW FSC
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #54
Zulbat
Rep
Drives: F20 120D

I think this is the small buttons you are looking for from realoem

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=61&fg=35

But doesn't seem like 318d can have them so why do they show up in the list?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:42 AM   #55
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulbat View Post
I think this is the small buttons you are looking for from realoem

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=61&fg=35

But doesn't seem like 318d can have them so why do they show up in the list?
Its got more to do with getting the FSC codes. Which seems to have a few confusion of which ones to get and or use...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #56
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
@fenster could you take a pic of your button panel just want to see if its retrofittable or if its part of the entire dash
Should be retrofittable as it replaces the left knee glove box. Good thread here by someone who reinstalled the glove box, moved the buttons, and turned his left glove box into wireless charger for his phone: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...reless+charger

Left to right:

Blind-Spot Detection
Frontal Collision Warning
Lane Departure Warning

HUD is turned on/off in iDrive:

View post on imgur.com

Hope that helps.
      02-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #57
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@shawnsheridan what does "PIA" mean, in some options I researched that the setting should be default_on, I have default_off and PIA_on.

Not sure what PIA means as I see it often in coding
PIA is Personalization, Individualization and Adaption, and is normally associated with settings that are exportable to thumb drive as a profile.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #58
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Right, so took it to the dealer to fit some M Performance Parts. The parts guy is a good chap and a bottle of good scotch goes a long way

There were some MOST communication errors which were reset using the ICOM8 tool, however he said the FCW and the Pedestrian warning were permanent warnings. He would have to reprogram the car on Monday (so it's booked in).

When I looked at the fault both of the warnings / errors were related to ACC (advanced cruise control), which is interesting as I didn't turn any of it (ACC) on I added the option to VO and VO coded KAFAS (first as read on another forum) then KOMBI. Both of them are referring to a short to the ACC system (which makes sense as there is no ACC system).

I am wondering two things:

1. If I find where there is a reference to the ACC and disable it will the errors go away?
2. Maybe the VO option we added Shawn was for the advanced FCW and LDW that uses ACC instead of using the KAFAS camera? Maybe the key sits with a different VO option....

The other interesting error was the FCW was trying to change something in the DSC ECU and it was getting a deny error since the function it was calling did not exisit... so maybe along with the KAFAS2, KOMBI the DSC ECU needs to be coded.

The puzzle carries on.

Shawn is there no tool out there to reset the "permanent errors" or is it find the code fault and fix it not a reset issue?

incidentally he said to me SLI requires a FSC but he never heard of LDW or FCW requiring on as the FSC code for SLI unlocks the KAFAS2 ECU to allow its functions.

@Fenster - Thank you for the pics and file I really do appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #59
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't know what VO Code(s) you added; however, 5AD should have nothing to do with ACC. 5AS is questionable, and 5AT definitely involves ACC.

As for the FSC Codes, besides 7E for SLI, KAFAS has BE & BF Enabling codes. They are unlocking something camera based that 7E SLI isn't.

There are tools out there like Autologic for clearing fault codes, but they are expensive. You can get ISTA/D VM and clear them too.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #60
Zulbat
Rep
Drives: F20 120D

Quote:

The other interesting error was the FCW was trying to change something in the DSC ECU and it was getting a deny error since the function it was calling did not exisit... so maybe along with the KAFAS2, KOMBI the DSC ECU needs to be coded.

incidentally he said to me SLI requires a FSC but he never heard of LDW or FCW requiring on as the FSC code for SLI unlocks the KAFAS2 ECU to allow its functions.
Iam guessing the pretensioning of the brakes the FCW can do is related to the dsc module function (just like I tipped you before about).

I find it strange the SLI code unlocks the kafas 2 ecu since there are many cars Equipped with LDW but don't have SLI here in Europe they are booth separate options.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #61
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The 7E FSC Code unlocks SLI only. LDW did not used to require an FSC Code, and still might not as 5AD, but might when part of 5AS and /or 5AT. The new BE / BF FSC Codes, one of them for sure is for 5AS Driving Assistant Plus. I will get confirmation on these two FSC Codes.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #62
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The 7E FSC Code unlocks SLI only. LDW did not used to require an FSC Code, and still might not as 5AD, but might when part of 5AS and /or 5AT. The new BE / BF FSC Codes, one of them for sure is for 5AS Driving Assistant Plus. I will get confirmation on these two FSC Codes.
Thanks Shawn, I am not getting errors for LDW but at the same time I don't have a button or vibration on steering wheel. I would like to add the vibration module but don't know what I have to add or not add....

@Fenster confirmed on his car he gets no audio or visual warning from LDW only warning he gets is vibration.

I seriously think LDW would work. Now the nut to crack and I would really appreciate the help Shawn is FCW. There are two one with ACC which is what seems like to have thrown a million errors on my car (for obvious reasons), then there is one that is camera based FCW with the LDW. That one I assume we can get to work.

I wouldn't mind retrofitting ACC but I have searched high and low to try figure out how to retrofit but haven't seen anything so if anyone knows I would love to hear from you.

From Drive Assist Plus FSC BMW AG is very sticky on these codes. Four of my usual channels have been blocked by BMW AG for these codes....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #63
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
LDW uses the Top View cameras located under the side mirrors.
not true because I have lane departure and no top view. it uses the camera mounted in the rearview mirror.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #64
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I know for certain now that the BE FSC Code is for Collision Warning and the BF FSC Code if for Pedestrian Detection.

Every new car I have seen stateside with these has them as part of 5AT Driving Assistant Plus.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #65
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know for certain now that the BE FSC Code is for Collision Warning and the BF FSC Code if for Pedestrian Detection.

Every new car I have seen stateside with these has them as part of 5AT Driving Assistant Plus.
Ok so it closes this thread:

1. You can turn on the feature via FDL coding
2. You require (no way around it) BE and BF FSC coding which is part of option 5AT Driving Assistant Plus.

So until one of the FSC providers manages to find a way to access these FSC codes, we all dead in the water for these features.

My car is at the dealer they busy reprogramming it back to VO, since trying to turn on FCW turned on some permanent errors which I couldn't clear.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:13 AM   #66
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
If I understood this thread correctly all I need to do to get HbA is to do the VO coding for it?

I have LDW as part of 5AS.

So do I just add 5AC then VO code KAFAS2?

Is this just the on/off or is it the variable high beam assist? How do I keep it turned on as obviously I will not have the button on the stalk to turn it on.
Appreciate 0