F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS Clutch Stop - Negative effects?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

BMS Clutch Stop - Negative effects?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I purchased a BMS clutch stop some time ago, but I've been hesitant to install it as I'm not sure that there are no negative effects of installing it, such as additional clutch wear.

It also feels like the dead zone I remember when I first got the car has been lessened. Either this is through muscle memory (most likely) or through some other mechanical adjustment I'm not aware of. It seems to engage much more closely to the floor than I remember when I first got the car.

So shifts feel good as is, but I still wouldn't mind shorter throws, so I'd still like to try out the clutch stop unless there are obvious issues it introduces.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Clutch pedal stops have been used longer then I have been alive. Key is to be sure the disc is fully disengaged at the point you stop the pedal.

It can be harder for some people to be smooth with the reduced pedal movement but its just a matter of getting used to it.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Also be sure to adjust it when the car is hot. I know people who didn't do that and when they shut their car down after it was hot, they were not able to restart it because they were unable to push the clutch in far enough. They had to remove the clutch stop before they could start it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Clutch pedal stops have been used longer then I have been alive. Key is to be sure the disc is fully disengaged at the point you stop the pedal.

It can be harder for some people to be smooth with the reduced pedal movement but its just a matter of getting used to it.
I come from an Eclipse that has a ridiculously short clutch throw - it's fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Also be sure to adjust it when the car is hot. I know people who didn't do that and when they shut their car down after it was hot, they were not able to restart it because they were unable to push the clutch in far enough. They had to remove the clutch stop before they could start it again.
I see. So what I'm hearing is start with just one spacer then work up. I know of others on the forums who have used all spacers with reportedly no problem and they love it. But it seems to me like it engages much sooner than I remember when I first got the car.
Appreciate 0