F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > SoCal dealers willing to fix squeaky MSport brakes
Studio RSR

08-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
wickedwahine11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 428i M Sport convertible

SoCal dealers willing to fix squeaky MSport brakes

As many of you with MSport blue brakes know, not only do they create massive amounts of dust, they are incredibly screechy at slow stops. I took my car into South Bay BMW to get them repaired, and was armed with the TSB bulletins showing the BMW instructions of chamfering, etc. They did chamfer the pads, and it became a little less frequent but has not stopped.

I took the car in for a different issue this week and spoke with a different service advisor and foreman. Both were very nice, but also gave me the standard "high performance brakes do this."

Has anyone had any success at getting these brakes or pads repaired or replaced with a permanent solution by a SoCal BMW dealer? I am at my wit's end over this, like nails on a chalk board, it irritates the hell out of me. I am resigned to getting ceramic pads when the free maintenance wears out, but not sure I can stomach another year of these screeches. It has gotten to the point where I even named my car "Kreischen," German for screech.

I live in San Pedro but will go as far north as the Valley to get this fixed if anyone knows a SA that will do the job. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
lazyme4evr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Bump. Same issue here as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Well as a manager of a service department myself, I can tell you first hand that I experience this same particular issue all the time with both my 2016 F80 M3 and my 2015 F23 M235. Unfortunately to be completely honest there is no permanent remedy to resolve the issue with brake dust or squeaky brakes, my only advice would be to keep your vehicle/brakes clean relatively often. On average I wash my vehicles once a week and at times will use the spray on chemical solvent that cleans & eats away at all the brake dust and it seems to help a lot. Another option would be to opt out and replace your pads with aftermarket ones(ex: StopTech sport/street pads) but something like this may create warranty related issues where you service your vehicle so proceed at your own risk.
      12-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Well as a manager of a service department myself, I can tell you first hand that I experience this same particular issue all the time with both my 2016 F80 M3 and my 2015 F23 M235. Unfortunately to be completely honest there is no permanent remedy to resolve the issue with brake dust or squeaky brakes, my only advice would be to keep your vehicle/brakes clean relatively often. On average I wash my vehicles once a week and at times will use the spray on chemical solvent that cleans & eats away at all the brake dust and it seems to help a lot. Another option would be to opt out and replace your pads with aftermarket ones(ex: StopTech sport/street pads) but something like this may create warranty related issues where you service your vehicle so proceed at your own risk.
Charlie do you spray the solvent directly on the brakes? I have a 340 coming with big brakes and will be trying this is the squeaking is bad. How bad is it? Can you hear from inside car?

Also is McKenna a Dinan dealer? Would you guys install Dinantronics?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockLOL View Post
Charlie do you spray the solvent directly on the brakes? I have a 340 coming with big brakes and will be trying this is the squeaking is bad. How bad is it? Can you hear from inside car?

Also is McKenna a Dinan dealer? Would you guys install Dinantronics?
Correct, a lot of big name detailer companies make touchless wheel cleaner sprays which seems to help a lot. Again, if used often it should help diminish the brake squeak noise by a lot.

Yes we are a Dinan authorized dealer.
      01-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
madrrio
Capable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i m sport

i believe my sound wasnt exactly the brakes, but the rotor lip along the outside where the brake pad didnt wear out and would ride along.. it would cause the noise at any braking pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Radmobile
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i & 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrrio View Post
i believe my sound wasnt exactly the brakes, but the rotor lip along the outside where the brake pad didnt wear out and would ride along.. it would cause the noise at any braking pressure.
If your rotor is developing a lip then you might be able to get a service department to replace the rotor as that's a tell tale sign that you're due for rotors.

Most if not all BMW service departments now have axle mounted lathe machines to turn the rotors. When customers go in needing new brakes, more often than not it's just new pads and they resurface the rotors. The axle mounted lathes don't require the tech to remove the rotors so it's far more cost effective for them to resurface the rotors than replace them. That is unless you're developing a lip at the rotor's edge. At which point you may need them replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:34 AM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It really depends on how bad it is. Some people are just unrealistic on how much noise the brakes should make.

If it bothers you a lot, you can get quiet pads like the Centric Posiquiet. They really do work but you'll lose a bit of performance.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...lic-brake-pads
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #9
RonDeezy
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Avus Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
As many of you with MSport blue brakes know, not only do they create massive amounts of dust, they are incredibly screechy at slow stops. I took my car into South Bay BMW to get them repaired, and was armed with the TSB bulletins showing the BMW instructions of chamfering, etc. They did chamfer the pads, and it became a little less frequent but has not stopped.

I took the car in for a different issue this week and spoke with a different service advisor and foreman. Both were very nice, but also gave me the standard "high performance brakes do this."

Has anyone had any success at getting these brakes or pads repaired or replaced with a permanent solution by a SoCal BMW dealer? I am at my wit's end over this, like nails on a chalk board, it irritates the hell out of me. I am resigned to getting ceramic pads when the free maintenance wears out, but not sure I can stomach another year of these screeches. It has gotten to the point where I even named my car "Kreischen," German for screech.

I live in San Pedro but will go as far north as the Valley to get this fixed if anyone knows a SA that will do the job. Anyone?

I just went in for service this week and had my squeaky M brakes taken care of. They found excessive pad material on front and rear pads. They went ahead and chamfered/cleaned the pads. So far so good and I haven't heard them squeak again. I had my service done at Bob Smith BMW in Calabasas. Ash Lumian was my service advisor. Cool SA who will address all your concerns!
Appreciate 0