F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sports mode - ASS disabled in dash
proTUNING Freaks

12-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Steventual
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 M limited

Sports mode - ASS disabled in dash

Has anyone seen their dash show ASS disabled icon while in sport mode? Since I've been playing around with S shifter vs sports mode I noticed its sometimes showing ASS disabled on the dash when it's always disabled in sports mode?

I've attached a pic of what it looks like. Strange no? Anyway I pressed the ASS disable button and the icon disappears as it should be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
That's when ASS is enabled, but sports mode is disabling it, or it is being disabled by lack of proper engine temperature, battery charge, or recent use of ASS
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Steventual
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 M limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V
That's when ASS is enabled, but sports mode is disabling it, or it is being disabled by lack of proper engine temperature, battery charge, or recent use of ASS
I was under the impression its always disabled under sports mode, but normally doesn't show that ASS icon in sports mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventual View Post
I was under the impression its always disabled under sports mode, but normally doesn't show that ASS icon in sports mode.
I was also under the same impression when I got my car. It's not true for my model year. Not sure about later model years.

Get ASS coded to 'remember last setting' and turn it off. You'll be happier. It's not worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Mine is the same. If I have ASS selected to "off" and select "sport" then I do not get that message. If I have ASS enabled and switch it to "Sport" then I will get that message. My car remembers last setting a far as ASS when I turn car off.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

That message will come up when the car is in Sport mode. It will, however, only come on when the vehicle is stopped. It goes away once you start moving.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
No, ASS is (or can be) enabled in Sports Mode:
Eco Pro/Comfort/Sports mode = ASS can be enabled or disabled
Transmission in Sports mode (pull lever to left) = ASS disabled
      12-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Has anyone seen their dash show ASS disabled icon while in sport mode? Since I've been playing around with S shifter vs sports mode I noticed its sometimes showing ASS disabled on the dash when it's always disabled in sports mode?

I've attached a pic of what it looks like. Strange no? Anyway I pressed the ASS disable button and the icon disappears as it should be.
I've posted in the coding forum about the location of the clock at the bottom right as in the picture. Does anyone know what got updated in the firmware to move the clock to that location?
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:

Owner's Manual Page 63
"The display indicates that the conditions for an automatic engine stop have not been satisfied"

In your image the OAT is showing +1.5degC.

ASS is automatically disabled (as shown on your dashboard) when external temperature is too low (case at/or below 3degC).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
///MZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:

ASS works in all modes. The reason it didn't work in this case (even though it was on) was because your engine temperature was too low. I am assuming you turned your car on after being outside for a while. The engine takes time to warm up and while it's doing so ASS won't work. The icon is there because your car is telling you that even though ASS is on something is preventing it from activating. The icon disappeared because you turned it off, therefore it doesn't need to be on.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
I was also under the same impression when I got my car. It's not true for my model year. Not sure about later model years.

Get ASS coded to 'remember last setting' and turn it off. You'll be happier. It's not worth the hassle.
Did you get the latest software update? That will disable ASS in Sports Mode for MT M-Sport cars.