F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 tuning parts judgement
ARMA SPEED

09-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 435xi M-sport

JB4 tuning parts judgement

Just got a list from a tuning shop for my bmw 435xi. But just thought they are a little bit pricy... I wanted to control the total cost around 2k. I?ll be happy if you guys could give me a judgement on the less expensive intake, chargepipe, downpipe etc from BMS, as I believe BMS are so much cheaper than the ones in the list.
What parts should I choose as I really wanted to target my total cost no more than 2k. But if you guys are all happy with the parts in the list, I might probably need to save from now. Let me know if there?s more budgeted -less expensive options for downpipe chargepipe and intake. Please give a fair judgement in their durability and performance. I?m almost noob in this topic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGTX View Post
Just got a list from a tuning shop for my bmw 435xi. But just thought they are a little bit pricy... I wanted to control the total cost around 2k. I?ll be happy if you guys could give me a judgement on the less expensive intake, chargepipe, downpipe etc from BMS, as I believe BMS are so much cheaper than the ones in the list.
What parts should I choose as I really wanted to target my total cost no more than 2k. But if you guys are all happy with the parts in the list, I might probably need to save from now. Let me know if there?s more budgeted -less expensive options for downpipe chargepipe and intake. Please give a fair judgement in their durability and performance. I?m almost noob in this topic.
Take a look at the parts plz
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i M Sport

Labor on installing the JB4 and Dinan intake are RIDICULOUS!!! Those are things you can do yourself with minimal tools and knowledge within a couple hours, and that's if you dilly dally around.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
Labor on installing the JB4 and Dinan intake are RIDICULOUS!!! Those are things you can do yourself with minimal tools and knowledge within a couple hours, and that's if you dilly dally around.
Hi,
What other intakes, downpipes, chargepipes would you recommend? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Those prices are all ridiculously high to be honest. Check out our vendor pages and get the parts off them.

Intake - stay away from Injen and BMS - they are notorious for bucking and throwing CELs. AFE, CTS and Dinan are good. I personally have AFE open air intake and highly recommend it.

Chargepipe - get the ER one. I run the ER one in anodized black. They have been around the longest for charge pipe and kinda have a monopoly in that part for the n55s lol. Quality part though.

Downpipes - They are all similar, just depends on how much you kinda want to spend. I have wagner (which is a more expensive one but I absolutely love it - welds and piece are a work of art - plus they are a german company lol)

Good luck

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 3
      09-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Isnt there a flash out for 435? Bootmod?
I'd get a flash and save everything else for later except for maybe the chargepipe
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      09-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGTX
Quote:
Hi,
What other intakes, downpipes, chargepipes would you recommend? Thanks.
Hello there. You can't really go wrong with what you've chosen, but what they're charging you for labor to install the JB4 and the intake is just Rediculous. Like I said in my earlier post. You could install those things in your driveway in under a couple of hours, and then save that money to put towards more mods. Technically, an intake isn't necessary but nice to have. A drop in filter is good enough, especially if you're on a budget. You definitely want to upgrade your charge pipe before making more power though. What brands? That's a matter of personal preference and budget. I spent hours searching and reading through this forum when I was planning my build. Spend some time in the search bar and read through the threads to see what others are saying, look at their photos, reviews and install videos. Go to the websites as well and look at the photos they offer of the products. This should help you determine what's the best bang for your hard earned buck. Some will say, " why pay $750 when I can spend $150? A pipe is a pipe". This is true, but sometimes it's what connects those pipes and how well they're going to align up with everything and seal properly. My set up; JB4 with EWG connector, Dinan intake, ER charge pipe, inner cooler and turbo to inner cooler pipe, ceramic coated VRSF down pipe and Agency Power cat back exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
Those prices are all ridiculously high to be honest. Check out our vendor pages and get the parts off them.

Intake - stay away from Injen and BMS - they are notorious for bucking and throwing CELs. AFE, CTS and Dinan are good. I personally have AFE open air intake and highly recommend it.

Chargepipe - get the ER one. I run the ER one in anodized black. They have been around the longest for charge pipe and kinda have a monopoly in that part for the n55s lol. Quality part though.

Downpipes - They are all similar, just depends on how much you kinda want to spend. I have wagner (which is a more expensive one but I absolutely love it - welds and piece are a work of art - plus they are a german company lol)

Good luck
Thank you for the useful information on those parts. Yea, I definitely agree that ER has very good chargpipes. Can you send me the link to the "vendor page" you mentioned? Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hello there. You can't really go wrong with what you've chosen, but what they're charging you for labor to install the JB4 and the intake is just Rediculous. Like I said in my earlier post. You could install those things in your driveway in under a couple of hours, and then save that money to put towards more mods. Technically, an intake isn't necessary but nice to have. A drop in filter is good enough, especially if you're on a budget. You definitely want to upgrade your charge pipe before making more power though. What brands? That's a matter of personal preference and budget. I spent hours searching and reading through this forum when I was planning my build. Spend some time in the search bar and read through the threads to see what others are saying, look at their photos, reviews and install videos. Go to the websites as well and look at the photos they offer of the products. This should help you determine what's the best bang for your hard earned buck. Some will say, " why pay $750 when I can spend $150? A pipe is a pipe". This is true, but sometimes it's what connects those pipes and how well they're going to align up with everything and seal properly. My set up; JB4 with EWG connector, Dinan intake, ER charge pipe, inner cooler and turbo to inner cooler pipe, ceramic coated VRSF down pipe and Agency Power cat back exhaust.
Yea...I agree that the labor charges are high.. but my friend recommended me this tuning shop, saying these guys used to be Pro-bmw racers who tuned the parts themselves.. I haven't talked to other shops about the labor costs yet... Should I install the jb4 myself? but all the youtube tutorials online are all for 335i. Do you know if there would be significant differences? it shouldnt be, right? since they are all N55? I am just so dumb, I couldn't even find my AC air filter and had them replaced 1 month ago.. I guess I just need to play more with it and get familiarized ...The reason I'm diving into mods is my warranty is expiring very soon next year. And another thing is that they are saying the annual emission test will be upgraded with security cameras installed on site by Oct.1. Should I run catless? i know there're o2 sensors hax tho.. should i run catted ? omg.. there's just too much for me to learn... and the winter is coming, this winter is gonna be really cold..and I dont want to mess up with my car and got stuck in the snow.---yea that's probably another reason that I need to get my car tuned as fast as possible and have a stable build before the snow storm coming.
Would you recommend me talking to some other shops on the prices that they charge for the same parts installation? Do you think it's gonna be a good build in that list? what can be changed? especially, I think I'll probably go for the ER chargepipe? $ 275 for that, it's cool. And wagner DP? for $390 ... combined this two--almost half the price! then the intake? should I go for Dinan carbon fiber? what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you get the parts from a forum vendor, you will get a better price and no shipping fees (we offer all brands on your invoice)

Also get them installed at another shop, they are overcharging you.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would assume the installation for the JB4 would be the same for the 335 and 435. Connectors might be in slightly different locations but I doubt it would be different. As far as down pipes, catted vs catless is always the big question due to power gains, CEL, smell, and emissions. Again, it's all in what you want and what suits your situation. Intakes do not make a seat of the pants noticable difference. I went with a Dinan CAI due to their reputation and mainly because it's carbon fiber and I like the way it looks under the hood. You're headed in the right direction and should be fine. Mike @ x-ph has some good combo deals, great to talk to and will be more than willing to help you out. As will most of the vendors and members on here. Do some research though, most of your questions can be found with some time in the search bar. Good luck and keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the useful information on those parts. Yea, I definitely agree that ER has very good chargpipes. Can you send me the link to the "vendor page" you mentioned? Many thanks!
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=477

I've worked with Mike @ x-ph, Mike @ n54tuning and Jeff @ topgearsolutions and have had a great experience with all three... so check those guys threads and websites out.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #13
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've worked with Mike @ x-ph, Mike @ n54tuning and Jeff @ topgearsolutions and have had a great experience with all three... so check those guys threads and websites out.
I think I?ve just spoken with Mike about a combo deal, is it worth it?? How?s the shipping and customer support?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think I?ve just spoken with Mike about a combo deal, is it worth it?? How?s the shipping and customer support?
Yes he is very good... I've gotten many things from him with absolutely no problems... great communication and fast shipping too.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

So $3k for all that? I wouldn't spend more than $1500 for brand new JB4/DP/CP including install (if you're not mechanically inclined)
      09-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
So $3k for all that? I wouldn't spend more than $1500 for brand new JB4/DP/CP including install (if you're not mechanically inclined)
For $1500 what can I get? Give me some suggestions please?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #17
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
For $1500 what can I get? Give me some suggestions please?
JB4 w/ EWG/FF/BT, VRSF DP, ER CP, and probably some cash left over for dinner. Check with Mike at XPH for a package deal.
      09-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely worth it. Great support and shipping. Some things are made to order though and may take longer.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
No LSD? *tsk tsk*

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #20
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
DP less than $300 used on Classified
JB4 less than $400 used on classified
CP can be found too
FMIC many options that will do the job under $400

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Check out some of the combos (JB4 and DP) in the classifieds. You will find some great deals!

Also to add. 2K is a very healthy budget.. JB4 and DP brand new for your car you can get for under 1K installed.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #22
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
DP less than $300 used on Classified
JB4 less than $400 used on classified
CP can be found too
FMIC many options that will do the job under $400
Would you recommend USED DP? JB4 used is ok tho.
Appreciate 0