F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How are the cupholders?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #45
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
The McD's large soft drinks barely fit in the cup holders. They flare out at the top and while they will slide into the cup holder, getting them out is another story. The top of the cup gets "wedged" into the panel right above the cup holders. You have to forcefully wiggle it free from it's grip. it can get nerve racking as it cup feels like it's going to collapse as you try to free it.

Now, I don't care for big soft drinks but I do like the large fries. But if you upgrade to a large combo meal, they won't give you a medium cup even if you ask for it. So I ended up changing my habits. I just don't order a large size meal anymore.... or I just don't go to McDs. BMW has probably saved my life.
That is the very first time I've heard anyone say anything that in even the most oblique of way smacks of their being a correlation between a BMW and spending less money. LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #46
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskercubfan View Post
Anyone mess with the cup holders in the arm rest between the two back seats?

I won't tell you if you haven't but if you have, you'll think it's cool.

Safe to say drinks won't be going anywhere back there.

I use them often enough. There's a barbecue place whose food and lhomemade lemonade I really enjoy. Their drinks come in one size, ginormous, but they do fit in the rear cup holders in my car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #47
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Personally I think BMW missed a trick with the cupholders. I like them just fine but I think there is a market for more options in this area. Here is what I am looking for when BMW does a mid-life cycle refresh:

Standard cupholders
Sports cupholders (with extra bolstering for fast cornering)
Adaptive cupholders (for those who like a choice of modes)

I also think the enhanced display should tell me which of my two cupholders has a cup in it, so I don't have to look down and check. Safety first people.

Anything I missed?

Maybe the cupholders should be styled differently for each line. Now there's a thought...

That pretty much sums up how seriously us Brits take the subject of cup holders.

For a while I thought you guys west of the pond were winding us up in this thread!

Until BMW can come up with a design that can hold a porcelain cup and saucer and a tray of cucumber sandwiches, we're simply not interested!
      06-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #48
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Forget the tea and the cucumber sandwiche, how does the new cup holder do with a 6 pack of beer?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #49
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Forget the tea and the cucumber sandwiche, how does the new cup holder do with a 6 pack of beer?
Haha - okay, that's a win for team USA!
      06-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #50
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Personally I think BMW missed a trick with the cupholders. I like them just fine but I think there is a market for more options in this area. Here is what I am looking for when BMW does a mid-life cycle refresh:

Standard cupholders
Sports cupholders (with extra bolstering for fast cornering)
Adaptive cupholders (for those who like a choice of modes)

I also think the enhanced display should tell me which of my two cupholders has a cup in it, so I don't have to look down and check. Safety first people.

Anything I missed?

Maybe the cupholders should be styled differently for each line. Now there's a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
That pretty much sums up how seriously us Brits take the subject of cup holders.

For a while I thought you guys west of the pond were winding us up in this thread!

Until BMW can come up with a design that can hold a porcelain cup and saucer and a tray of cucumber sandwiches, we're simply not interested!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
ROFLOL, this is exactly why I love the BMW enthusiasts' community. Nice work guys!

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #51
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tsang View Post
Yes, I know, such a silly thing to ask about, but I'm getting restless waiting for production to start

How are the cup holders? How do they fit a standard starbucks frappucinno cup or even larger water bottle sizes?
I love them, they work great. They even hold my oversized coffee cup that I take to work every morning. HOME RUN BMW, the customers spoke and you listened.

Now take that spring cup holder design blueprint and put them in a bonfire and have a marshmellow roast. Never EVER bring that shit back.
      06-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #52
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Since we're on the topic of the cupholders.. I was wondering, how many of you guys actually use the net that they provided for the cupholder cover?

Personally I have the cupholders covered most of the time, if I need them to be uncovered I usually just put them in the holders of the door. Personally I feel the net is a bit too much hassle.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #53
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache
Since we're on the topic of the cupholders.. I was wondering, how many of you guys actually use the net that they provided for the cupholder cover?

Personally I have the cupholders covered most of the time, if I need them to be uncovered I usually just put them in the holders of the door. Personally I feel the net is a bit too much hassle.
My cover has never left the net. Haha. I'm using the cup holders 100% of the time. If its not a drink, it's my keys, phone, wallet etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #54
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

if you drive a bmw why would you ever stop at McDonald's
      06-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #55
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I see that you, and presumably your car, live in Malaysia, so this may not work you, but I'm going to say it anyway, hoping it helps.

I realize too that food will at times attract various fauna. I've, however, never had any of them find entry to my closed car. Additionally, I'd offer that if you have more small, six and eight legged fauna where you park your car, so many that they do somehow reach the cabin and/or trunk interior, you need an exterminator more than you need a car.
Yeah, there's seriously plenty more ants, lizards and cockroaches living in hot climates like Malaysia that happily get into our cars if there are bits of food or sugary substances. Particularly when it's sometimes common to leave the car parked with window (or sun/moon-roof) wound down/open a fraction so that the heat doesn't build up too intensely.

While I don't ban eating/drinking in my car, I do strongly discourage it, other than water.
Sport AT, Mineral Grey, Black interior, Alum w/ high-gloss black interior trim, Sports seats + Lumbar support, Harman Kardon sound, Nav system Prof, PDC (f+r), Rear view camera, comfort access, Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #56
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post

I never have the tray fitted to the cupholders, so until recently it spent all of it's time in the net. I don't find it to be a good fit in that net, or maybe I put it in wrong but it fell out onto the bottom of the glove box and has stayed there since.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #57
mapjr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive LBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I've seen the cup holders on the F30. They seem like they might not be set far enough away from the control panel to hold containers that flare out as the vertical height increases (McD's sweet tea). Has anyone encountered this problem? I like that my e92 cup holders are unobstructed.
Yes, tall containers hitting the panel is a problem. I have a great, stainless steel, insulated, no-leak travel mug. No handle. It measures a bit higher than 8" and the edge of the top piece runs up against the leather in the area under the radio of my 328i XDrive sedan.

My other insulated mugs measure just about 6" but have handles, so only one will fit in the holder, as the handle juts into the adjacent holder space.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #58
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapjr View Post
Yes, tall containers hitting the panel is a problem. I have a great, stainless steel, insulated, no-leak travel mug. No handle. It measures a bit higher than 8" and the edge of the top piece runs up against the leather in the area under the radio of my 328i XDrive sedan.

My other insulated mugs measure just about 6" but have handles, so only one will fit in the holder, as the handle juts into the adjacent holder space.
Way to go with your first post, reviving a 7 month old thread.

(and yes, I do appreciate the irony of my own post)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #59
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Way to go with your first post, reviving a 7 month old thread.

(and yes, I do appreciate the irony of my own post)
How nice. One gets ripped if they start a new thread on something that's been discussed in the past, or they get ripped if they comment on the old thread. Might as well not have any threads, eh?

Btw, welcome mapjr!

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #60
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Man i got the same feeling with you. i waited for a month and half, it's still in bremerhaven waiting for a shipping vessel. And one is with me now?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #61
willibn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 4dr Sport Red/Black

There are cup holders!>?? I've just been putting my bottles of water in the angled door pocket... works great. haha
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #62
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

They are awesome!

They fit:
Venti's from Sbux
Large drinks from Dunkin'
Large drinks (just barely) from Subway
And my cell phones...

Will NOT fit a 1L Camelbak bottle which I find obnoxious...(nor will the door bottle accommodate this size bottle).

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #63
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

I can fit two bottles of water in the door cubby.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #64
mtgswede
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive m sport

They're good but I miss the little tabs like on the E46 that keeps everything secure. My biggest complaint about the cup holders is that stupid cover that has to be stored in the glove box when you want to use the cup holders. Couldn't they have found some way to make that fold into the center console? It's a pain in the butt.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #65
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post

I use the net every morning and cover back on when I get to work. The cover/lid is perfect to hold my iPhone 5 snugly.
      02-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #66
sinuspain
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i EBII

the cupholders in the previous e90-3 series are retarded, i dont get the design
Appreciate 0