F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Super Sport Lack of Grip
GetBMWParts

06-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
jakou
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Lack of Grip

Hey guys, this is my 1st post.
I have recently bought a new 2016 320i Sport Line and immediately swapped the stock run flat tires with new Michelin Pilot Super Sport ones because I don't like the run flats noise and harsh ride. As expected the Michelins turned out to be really comfortable however, in many instances when putting my foot on the throttle I am experiencing a higher than expected wheel spin on the rears. This is happening at rather low speeds when accelerating a bit on corners or when pulling away. I expected the Michelins to be grippier and I am surprised that they actually are not. I was hoping that after a break in period grip would become better but after already 500km on the tires I haven't noticed any grip improvement. I have also tried lowering psi on the rears from 35 to 32 but no improvement either. I searched on the web regarding this, but I didn't get a really satisfaying answer. Hopefully someone can shed some light and give me a convincing explanation.
My set up is 225/45ZR18 95Y Extra Load in the front and 255/40ZR18 95Y Standard Load in the rear (The rears are not available in Extra Load in my area so I had to settle for Standard Load, but as far as I know it is OK to mix Extra Load with Standard Load). Pressure is 32psi for the fronts and 35psi for the rears, as specified on the car door label.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
ghalacli
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E39 M5

I know a friend who is not satisfied with the grip level of mpss, I am curious about what people will say about this.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
RevToRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 BEV, 2018 Giulia Quad

Much better grip than the Bridgestone S001 RFT they replaced. As any Michelin, they squeal at the limit.
What is the outside temperature? Also, give them more brake-in time.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakou View Post
I have recently bought a new 2016 320i Sport Line and immediately swapped the stock run flat tires with new Michelin Pilot Super Sport ones because I don't like the run flats noise and harsh ride. As expected the Michelins turned out to be really comfortable however, in many instances when putting my foot on the throttle I am experiencing a higher than expected wheel spin on the rears. This is happening at rather low speeds when accelerating a bit on corners or when pulling away. I expected the Michelins to be grippier and I am surprised that they actually are not. I was hoping that after a break in period grip would become better but after already 500km on the tires I haven't noticed any grip improvement. I have also tried lowering psi on the rears from 35 to 32 but no improvement either. I searched on the web regarding this, but I didn't get a really satisfaying answer. Hopefully someone can shed some light and give me a convincing explanation.
My set up is 225/45ZR18 95Y Extra Load in the front and 255/40ZR18 95Y Standard Load in the rear (The rears are not available in Extra Load in my area so I had to settle for Standard Load, but as far as I know it is OK to mix Extra Load with Standard Load). Pressure is 32psi for the fronts and 35psi for the rears, as specified on the car door label.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToRed View Post
Much better grip than the Bridgestone S001 RFT they replaced. As any Michelin, they squeal at the limit.
What is the outside temperature? Also, give them more brake-in time.
+1.

Just came back from a HPDE @ NJ Motorsports Park and I will say they have plenty of grip for a novice to intermediate run group even with a 2014 335i M Sport RWD.

I don't see how they wouldn't have enough grip for a 320i on acceleration...
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
+1.
I don't see how they wouldn't have enough grip for a 320i on acceleration...
This has me puzzled as well. I just dont see a 320i breaking 255's loose. What the hell is the outside air temp lol.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
This has me puzzled as well. I just dont see a 320i breaking 255's loose. What the hell is the outside air temp lol.
I could see it breaking loose with a 320i if you're driving in 10F temperatures.

But I cannot fathom how the MPSS does not have enough grip for a 320i. BMW seems to think it's sufficient for an M3/M4...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
I call bs. This makes no sense. What tire pressure are you running?
      06-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
ZKing1208
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i Msport MG

You are definitely the minority here, are the tires cold when this is happening because they become extremely sticky when hot
      06-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #9
jakou
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone.
Outside temperature is absolutely not an issue as it's quite high actually, 25 to 30 degrees Celsius (77 to 86 Fahrenheit). Tire pressure is 32psi for the fronts and 35psi for the rears, as specified on the car door label. As I mentioned I have lowered the rears temperature to 32psi but I haven't seen any change in performance.
I don't want to give the impression that the spin I am experiencing is happening each and every time I am accelerating, but it does happen quite often at rather low speeds. As some of you pointed out, it is strange that it is happening on a 320i while the mpss is meant for much higher torque cars such as M3/M4s. However there have been reports of similar lack of grip from some people (on various cars) around the web while others have praised the mpss for quite the opposite. It's quite puzzling actually.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I have Super Sports on my F31 and am very pleased with them. Their wet and dry grip is impressive. I have xDrive (I wish I did not), so that may not be a fair comparison. I find the compromise of comfort, grip and noise to be almost perfect for me.

I had a 135i and regardless of the tires (I had the Bridgestones, the Yokohama Advans) the characteristics of the turbo engine would break the wheels loose all the time.

Question is how is the grip and feedback in the corners? If you are getting good lateral grip, the answer is to ease off on the throttle.

I have Pilot Stort Cup 2s on my 1M and while cold they are a little stiff and have a tendency of being sliding a bit, once warm they are very sticky.

I find P-Zeros to be grippier when cool, but then the characteristics of the tires become less than ideal which cuts down on their useable life quite a bit. I used to get a lot of cupping on the fronts on my 993.

I wonder if it might be something to do with mixing XL tires, although according to this the XL tires should add better grip, generally the pressure ratings for the XL tires are higher.

TireRack says;

Quote:
Can I place an "extra load" tire on a vehicle that calls for a "standard" rating?

The "XL" (extra load) tire can be ordered for a vehicle that had a standard load tire as its Original Equipment. This is accomplished in the manufacturing process by adding additional material to the shoulder of a tire for extra strength. These reinforcements (usually accomplished with polyamide belting found where the sidewall and tread meet) are designed to minimize any tire deflection and reduce potential damage due to road impact. These strong tires will be branded with an "XL" or "RF" in their descriptions.

Will the XL tire have an effect on my comfort?

The "XL" tire will change the perception and feel of the vehicle. Tires that are engineered with reinforced sidewalls typically fall into the performance tire category. These tires have a rubber compound formulated to accentuate performance but not necessarily detract from the ride quality.

A driver should consider XL tire options when plus sizing any wheel packages or if more feedback from the tire is desired. Drivers seeking a firmer ride and enhanced car control would not need to be concerned with the XL warning when comparing different tires to match their driving expectations. As a matter of fact, this type tire will enhance the overall vehicle stability and handling. Also, the selection of a more aggressive tread compound will increase grip in the wet and dry.

For drivers desiring a softer feel and are willing to forgo the car’s stability in cornering, the standard load tire will be a more appropriate choice.
So according to the above, you are getting better grip up front. Why did you decide to mix tire types?

B.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #11
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Don't feed this OP troll who with his first post has a he balls to call out the best street tires ever made.

These tires may as well be bubble gum to my BMW and there is even a set on one of the family 911s. The others have Super Cups for track duty.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
jakou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
I have Super Sports on my F31 and am very pleased with them. Their wet and dry grip is impressive. I have xDrive (I wish I did not), so that may not be a fair comparison. I find the compromise of comfort, grip and noise to be almost perfect for me.

I had a 135i and regardless of the tires (I had the Bridgestones, the Yokohama Advans) the characteristics of the turbo engine would break the wheels loose all the time.

Question is how is the grip and feedback in the corners? If you are getting good lateral grip, the answer is to ease off on the throttle.

I have Pilot Stort Cup 2s on my 1M and while cold they are a little stiff and have a tendency of being sliding a bit, once warm they are very sticky.

I find P-Zeros to be grippier when cool, but then the characteristics of the tires become less than ideal which cuts down on their useable life quite a bit. I used to get a lot of cupping on the fronts on my 993.

I wonder if it might be something to do with mixing XL tires, although according to this the XL tires should add better grip, generally the pressure ratings for the XL tires are higher.

TireRack says;

So according to the above, you are getting better grip up front. Why did you decide to mix tire types?

B.
My 1st choice would have been XL for all four tires, but unfortunately rear tire size 255/40ZR18 is not available in XL in my area so I had to mix.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
jakou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Don't feed this OP troll who with his first post has a he balls to call out the best street tires ever made.

These tires may as well be bubble gum to my BMW and there is even a set on one of the family 911s. The others have Super Cups for track duty.

Farthest away from being a troll. Just seeking a convincing explanation to my situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 03:08 AM   #14
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Farthest away from being a troll. Just seeking a convincing explanation to my situation.
Sorry but it just seems funny that someone with an 180hp car is complaining about wheel spin bahahahahaha. Stop volunteering to use your car as a Zamboni at the local ice rink.
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #15
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakou
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post

Point is, you have literally "0" credibility here, yet come out and swing one of the biggest haymakers possible in picking on a tire that is far too much for what you drive; all while driving a 320i : ???

So, you tell us how this looks? You're trying to get a reaction; that's fine, but when comedy is used here, it's usually explicitly stated.

The MPSS are too much tire for your car; period. They're actually too much for my 428i, but I like them and I could afford it, so I got them. I've run Michelin sport tires on my cars for the past 15 years, many times in much more powerful cars; through all of these tires, grip has never been even a hint of an issue on the street.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #16
jakou
Rep

Cheer up guys, what's with all the negativity? lol
I am merely seeking the comments of people who may have faced the same situation or may have an explanation for it.
Nothing in my post suggests "picking" on the Michelin PSS tires nor offending anyone who has them on his car. A number of people around the web also claimed some lack of grip, so it looks like the issue exists for other people as well. Just because you're not one of those people doesn't mean those people are trolling.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
jakou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
Tirerack have confirmed that mixing XL and SL tires would not have any effect on the grip.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
It could be a bad lot of tires. I can't image Michelin screwing up but anythings possible I guess.

Also, did you look under the hood. Maybe BMW stuck an M3 S55 motor in there by accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #19
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cheer up guys, what's with all the negativity? lol
I am merely seeking the comments of people who may have faced the same situation or may have an explanation for it.
Nothing in my post suggests "picking" on the Michelin PSS tires nor offending anyone who has them on his car. A number of people around the web also claimed some lack of grip, so it looks like the issue exists for other people as well. Just because you're not one of those people doesn't mean those people are trolling.
Maybe you just suck at driving.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #20
ZKing1208
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i Msport MG

Unsubscribe. Pointless thread
      06-16-2016, 03:45 AM   #21
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Seriously, wtf is wrong with u guys? What, u can´t come in new and start a thread where u complain about something based on your own experience? Pulling the troll-card out of your asses on anything that sounds deviating from the common sensus?? Fuck me..

Sounds very strange in my ears as well, I´ve had the super sports for some years now and will probably continue to get them till a better tire comes up. Grip has never been an issue, except when they´re still cold. But so what, is there not the slightest possibility that he just got a bad batch of tires? Is Michelin your grand daddies company and is that why you react like someone cursed your mothers for even implying something is wrong with the product?? Jesus christ take it easy guys...

OP, welcome to the forum..

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #22
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I think I might know what you're talking about. And I doubt it's the tires. If you are gassing it through a corner at decent speed you you could be feeling the stability and traction aids at work braking the inside wheel. In all honesty it feels weird but maybe that's all your feeling.

And if you are doing hard launches in general any tire could rip loose with a torquey engine.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 4