F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Enter navigation destination over email?
GetBMWParts

05-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
STAT1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX Limited

Enter navigation destination over email?

I read somewhere that you can enter a destination to navigate to by emailing it to yourself. What options do I need to make this work? Does it require an iPhone? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
its easier from an iPhone but the option needed is BMW assist. then you can use google maps on any browser and select option to send to car.

on the iPhone you can use the My BMW remote app, it has G-Maps embedded in it just search for your destination and click send to vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
STAT1
Banned
United_States
Rep

Awesome, I was planning on getting BMW assist for the enhanced BT but now this option is even more appealing. I have an android phone, but that doesn't seem to be a limitation here (for once).

I wasn't even planning on getting the Tech Package, since I have great voice activated turn by turn directions on my Droid, it even has real-time traffic and other great features.

The reason I now plan on getting the Tech Package is because the standard display just screams "budget" and would always remind me of how I settled for the low rent display. This probably sounds silly. However, interfacing with the NAV seemed like PITA, seriously, typing in the address letter by letter... but if I can email myself the destination, all is well in the cosmos.

The heads up display is the cherry on top
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yeh, I used to have a Nexus and I switched to iPhone for the car. The integration makes life a lot easier. I just snap in the iphone in the cradle and play my music from pandora, also next to my iphone I got a 160GB iPod where I sync my entire music collection on it.

Searching on the nav is not too hard if its a POI. Like this morning and jumped in the car and punched in IH and iHop populates on the left as I am typing and all I have to do is click on it and start navigating.

HUD is awesome too I have my Nav on mute and I keep my iDrive screen on Pandora and I just follow directions on HUD and passengers have no idea that the Navi is running.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
STAT1
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'm def going to keep my android - I'm planning on upgrading to a Galaxy Note once it's available for Verizon - but I've definitely considered adding an iPod Touch to the center console tethered to my phone to interface with. I'd have to buy the ipod and pay for the BMW Apps option and the cradle, which feels like some very modern version of penal sodomy considering I'm already paying $3000 for a TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE.

Last edited by STAT1; 05-20-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
STAT1
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
HUD is awesome too I have my Nav on mute and I keep my iDrive screen on Pandora and I just follow directions on HUD and passengers have no idea that the Navi is running.

I like it, Jedi status achieved
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
pej7445
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Garage List
2019 x3 m40i  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Yeh, I used to have a Nexus and I switched to iPhone for the car. The integration makes life a lot easier. I just snap in the iphone in the cradle and play my music from pandora, also next to my iphone I got a 160GB iPod where I sync my entire music collection on it.

Searching on the nav is not too hard if its a POI. Like this morning and jumped in the car and punched in IH and iHop populates on the left as I am typing and all I have to do is click on it and start navigating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAT1 View Post
I like it, Jedi status achieved
I do the exact same thing with my HUD/Navi audio. No interruption of music/conversation.

I love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

I use the app "Send to Car" to send GPS coordinates from Google Maps (Android mobile) to the car, using BMW Connected Drive (3 Series GT).

Fast and simple, no cable needed!

I just find the desired location on Google Maps and share it with the app. The app confirms your Connected Drive ID and sends the coordinates to the car.

In the car, I go to the Connected Drive menu, item Messages, open the message and it's ready.

I find it very useful for:
- quickly setting a destination;
- planning multiple stops in a longer trip;
- getting into the car and having everything ready;
- making a more complex address search using Google search engine and maps.

Works fine with Galaxy S4 and Note 3.
Appreciate 0