F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2013 vs 2104 F30 335i (New Navigation Never Came)?
ARMA SPEED

11-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

2013 vs 2104 F30 335i (New Navigation Never Came)?

-With November 1st passing, are we all to assume there will not be a new Navigation I drive in the 2013 335i?

-With the LCI 535i coming out in 2014, does this sort of confirm maybe a new engine and updated Nav will be introduced with the new 2014 4 series coupe? Either March or September for a 14 launch?

- If you had the chance to order a 2013 now, does anyone think its wiser to wait for March changes or bite the bullet for a Feb delivery now?

- Do you think lines will disappear or are here to stay ie sportline with red stitching?

I'm hesitant to order based on the following. I was one of the stronghold waiting for the November Nav. I can now confirm those that got the 13 early were wise as I waited and it seems like it was slightly in vein. BMW has taught me that even though I might be ahead of the curve on their updates via the web, we can get fooled every now and again. I lost a summer of sporty driving. Life is too short to wait for inevitable changes.

Last edited by JK479; 11-19-2012 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: grammar and added a paragraph...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

Kind of in the same boat minus the already waiting part. I just put my deposit down on a 2013 335 and since I'm stationed here in Italy, I can get the car in January no problem but now from doing a little research and learning about the Nav I'm debating holding out. This means I'd have to wait tell July...and that sucks! Like you said life is to short to wait for inevitable changes. I wasn't even going to get the Nav to begin with so this shouldn't be that big of an issue to me but like most of us...we want the best newest thing and since we are paying a hefty premium for it, we want it.

Right now I'm just tying to go over in my head the major pluses with the new system. A few more gigs HD, some cooler graphics..etc. yada yada, there is always going to be something new coming out, I chose this car because it's a blast to drive and I wanted to step my game up in the luxury/comfort area not because I needed a computer to tell me where to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

I stopped my order in July when I heard about the new hardware & Navi. The dealer kept my order and when the 355i Xdrive came in earlier than anticipated, my CA called to see if I wanted to look at it. I loved it, drove it and wanted it even more BUT the sale for my car had moved on so I was left with a dealer trade in and that was significantly lower. In the end I said no.
With winter coming, I decided I rather wait till spring. Just put the winter tires on today. No regrets at all as the weather becomes cooler. I only missed a month or so of wet driving. ;-)
My lesson learned is we can wait forever for new tech to be adopted in our vehicles. Buy when you want. Personally, I don't want to buy new car going into winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30 View Post
I chose this car because it's a blast to drive and I wanted to step my game up in the luxury/comfort area not because I needed a computer to tell me where to go.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
-With November 1st passing, are we all to assume there will not be a new Navigation I drive in the 2013 335i?

-With the LCI 535i coming out in 2014, does this sort of confirm maybe a new engine and updated Nav will be introduced with the new 2014 4 series coupe? Either March or September for a 14 launch?

- If you had the chance to order a 2013 now, does anyone think its wiser to wait for March changes or bite the bullet for a Feb delivery now?

- Do you think lines will disappear or are here to stay ie sportline with red stitching?

I'm hesitant to order based on the following. I was one of the stronghold waiting for the November Nav. I can now confirm those that got the 13 early were wise as I waited and it seems like it was slightly in vein. BMW has taught me that even though I might be ahead of the curve on their updates via the web, we can get fooled every now and again. I lost a summer of sporty driving. Life is too short to wait for inevitable changes.
You have a few misconceptions/misinformation.

First, we don't know for certain that US-cars don't have the new Nav, because no one has taken delivery (yet) of a post November build.

Second, it is unlikely that the F30 will see a model year change in March. Since MY2012 was so short (Feb->June), it is more likely that MY2013 will last a full calendar year, i.e. July 2012-June 2013. This would allow for the F32 coupe to be introduced with July production (we know it won't come earlier, because E92/E93 production runs until then). With both F30 and F32 beginning MY2014 with July production, they would be "in sync" going forward for production changes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You have a few misconceptions/misinformation.

First, we don't know for certain that US-cars don't have the new Nav, because no one has taken delivery (yet) of a post November build.

Second, it is unlikely that the F30 will see a model year change in March. Since MY2012 was so short (Feb->June), it is more likely that MY2013 will last a full calendar year, i.e. July 2012-June 2013. This would allow for the F32 coupe to be introduced with July production (we know it won't come earlier, because E92/E93 production runs until then). With both F30 and F32 beginning MY2014 with July production, they would be "in sync" going forward for production changes, etc.
Thanks for those update. You are right... I am out of the loop... wouldn't it be something if the Nov 1 build had the new Nav... I'd bite right now. Maybe a European delivery could confirm this?

What kills me is people on the forum explain the change is well worth the wait. But its just a small piece of the whole experience. I kind of wish tech wasn't out of date so fast on cars. But its a fact of life.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30 View Post
Kind of in the same boat minus the already waiting part. I just put my deposit down on a 2013 335 and since I'm stationed here in Italy, I can get the car in January no problem but now from doing a little research and learning about the Nav I'm debating holding out. This means I'd have to wait tell July...and that sucks! Like you said life is to short to wait for inevitable changes. I wasn't even going to get the Nav to begin with so this shouldn't be that big of an issue to me but like most of us...we want the best newest thing and since we are paying a hefty premium for it, we want it.

Right now I'm just tying to go over in my head the major pluses with the new system. A few more gigs HD, some cooler graphics..etc. yada yada, there is always going to be something new coming out, I chose this car because it's a blast to drive and I wanted to step my game up in the luxury/comfort area not because I needed a computer to tell me where to go.
Love the end of your post... we rely so much on Navigation and I drive these days. Whatever happened to steering your own "destiny" without a Navigation System! I think BMW called our bluff on Tech but making I drive standard. Its almost a pity not to get the bigger screen. Had it not been standard, I bet less tech packages would have been ordered in 12, 13 models.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringonthenite View Post
I stopped my order in July when I heard about the new hardware & Navi. The dealer kept my order and when the 355i Xdrive came in earlier than anticipated, my CA called to see if I wanted to look at it. I loved it, drove it and wanted it even more BUT the sale for my car had moved on so I was left with a dealer trade in and that was significantly lower. In the end I said no.
With winter coming, I decided I rather wait till spring. Just put the winter tires on today. No regrets at all as the weather becomes cooler. I only missed a month or so of wet driving. ;-)
My lesson learned is we can wait forever for new tech to be adopted in our vehicles. Buy when you want. Personally, I don't want to buy new car going into winter.
I live in New England where its our job to salt and sand roads at the drop of snow fall. Its a shame but a fact of life here. Cars get filthy and pitted on our highways. I am in your camp but realize maybe a few scratches is worth the feel of driving a new state of the art F30!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for those update. You are right... I am out of the loop... wouldn't it be something if the Nov 1 build had the new Nav... I'd bite right now. Maybe a European delivery could confirm this?

What kills me is people on the forum explain the change is well worth the wait. But its just a small piece of the whole experience. I kind of wish tech wasn't out of date so fast on cars. But its a fact of life.
When I was looking to hold out for the new Nav, I did some checking for people doing ED around this time. Never found anyone in particular. Regardless, the first people with PW45+ should be getting their cars mid December, so we'll all know soon enough.

After playing with the new Nav, it's say it's pretty impressive. Worth the wait is a relative term, not for me to decide for anyone else.

I don't "need the computer to tell me where to go", but I do interact with the iDrive on a daily basis. That means for selecting media, etc. And it sure is faster, and nicer visually. For something that I use every time I get in the car, it will be nice to have something new and fast. I was never impressed with the speed of the Nav/iDrive in my '12 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I live in New England where its our job to salt and sand roads at the drop of snow fall. Its a shame but a fact of life here. Cars get filthy and pitted on our highways. I am in your camp but realize maybe a few scratches is worth the feel of driving a new state of the art F30!
Agreed, although I should have clarified that I was also concerned about the break-in period. Rather break it in when it is warm and I have more time to drive than in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringonthenite View Post
Agreed, although I should have clarified that I was also concerned about the break-in period. Rather break it in when it is warm and I have more time to drive than in the winter.
I see that being a issue. I always wondered why they say the engine is broken in from the factory when the real issue is the entire working car. Breaking in a machine should be done with care even if the engine is READY to go at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
When I was looking to hold out for the new Nav, I did some checking for people doing ED around this time. Never found anyone in particular. Regardless, the first people with PW45+ should be getting their cars mid December, so we'll all know soon enough.

After playing with the new Nav, it's say it's pretty impressive. Worth the wait is a relative term, not for me to decide for anyone else.

I don't "need the computer to tell me where to go", but I do interact with the iDrive on a daily basis. That means for selecting media, etc. And it sure is faster, and nicer visually. For something that I use every time I get in the car, it will be nice to have something new and fast. I was never impressed with the speed of the Nav/iDrive in my '12 M3.
If the cars roll into the dealer in December, I wonder if someone will post here. December is close... i can't believe there isnt an insider that knows for sure...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hi Jason. ANy reason why this was moved. Isn't this general conversation. Just curious since i am still trying to determine if new nav is reality...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Jason. ANy reason why this was moved. Isn't this general conversation. Just curious since i am still trying to determine if new nav is reality...
Until someone takes delivery of a post Nov 2012 U.S. car, no one will really know if it's a reality or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

I can't believe it's November 20th and we're still having to talk about this! I suppose I'm really glad I didn't wait now for confirmation.

For those who've waited, I hope the news is good. As for myself, I've made my peace and will be fine if the rumor is true and my PW43 car misses out on it. Coming from a no-nav car, I still have the benefit of stepping up, even if it is to the old nav.

That said, I'm still about 2 weeks out from receiving my PW43 car. If I waited until December to even place my order only to finally get confirmation that there was no new nav coming, I'd be sooo pissed.

Good luck gents!

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0