F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ordered 2013 335 X DRIVE (Mistakes?)
proTUNING Freaks

07-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
KQ335XF30
BMWCCA #470039
Rep
Drives: F30-335XDRIVE

Ordered 2013 335 X DRIVE (Mistakes?)

Hi All,

Long time reader, soon to be 1st time BMW owner coming from Lexus. Im looking for some advices / constructive comments from F30 owners or perhaps prior so that I wont regret that I made some mistakes.

I just ordered the 2013 F30 335 X DRIVE Melbourne Red / Beige Leatherette European Delivery and no other options because:

Got the X DRIVE due to living in ILLINOIS.

NO HK Upgrade - Didn't get it because I listen mostly to the news channels.

NO Sport Line - Can't get beige interior no matter what. I dont like the other lines. I like the wheels from the sport line.

NO M or Sport Suspension - it doesnt lower the car and no sport suspension for XDRIVE sedans. It is also controlled by electronic sensors and after a while, the sensors can result in expensive repair as my X5 friends would tell me.

NO Leather seating - I have leather in the Lexus and had leatherette in an Audi A4 before and didn't see any big difference.

NO NAV / Heated Seat / Backup camera / other gadgets: I have all these gadgets and features in the Lexus and hardly ever use them.

NO M Sport package - I thought long and hard about this one. With the MSPORT, it makes the car look clutter in the front; I dont like how the new back looks; No rear deck spoiler; No fog lights for USA models.

I really like the MSPORT 400M 18" wheels; and the sport seats as people say it is a must have. My dealer said I cannot get the 400M as a standalone option; Can't get them for after market either.

I could add some of these options without breaking my budget but I didnt get them because of those reasons above..so am I making mistakes by not including these options?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
WKMG
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport on order

That all sounds fine accept as an Englishman I can't think of anything worse than leatherette. Maybe it is a cultural thing, it isn't even an option here. The thought of leatherette just makes me shudder. It's like giving your girlfriend a zirconium ring when you propose or having quorn burgers ata barbecue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKMG View Post
That all sounds fine accept as an Englishman I can't think of anything worse than leatherette. Maybe it is a cultural thing, it isn't even an option here. The thought of leatherette just makes me shudder. It's like giving your girlfriend a zirconium ring when you propose or having quorn burgers ata barbecue.
What actually is leatherette anyway? As you say not even an option here. It sounds suspiciously like plastic leather, or "Pleather" as its known
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

For the Canadian market, all 335s come with leather as standard. I can't imagine "plastic leather" in hot conditions.
With your chosen colour combo (red/beige), you would be smart to lease the car, rather then purchasing it outright. That combo will be a challenge for re-sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328I (July '12 ED)

Leatherette is a great alternative to leather. It's much more durable, maintenance free, will look brand new for years to come. Some people say it doesn't breathe as well as leather, and that it doesn't smell as nice when new. I'm a big fan of it as BMWs leather isn't the highest quality in the 3 series and will crack and wear quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

There's nothing wrong with leatherette, but I'm kind of curious as to what options you did get? It's pretty hard to function without premium pkg.
      07-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
For the Canadian market, all 335s come with leather as standard. I can't imagine "plastic leather" in hot conditions.
With your chosen colour combo (red/beige), you would be smart to lease the car, rather then purchasing it outright. That combo will be a challenge for re-sale.
it does not feel like plastic. and when it's hot out, it cools off very fast, more so than the leather i had in my passat.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
T_Bone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

There's obviously no right or wrong configuration--if you're happy that's all that matters. It's just a shame that most of us are forced to make compromises, due to the the pre-configured lines...

You've clearly put a lot of thought into your options; the only comment I'd make is that RWD with snows would have been perfectly fine for Illinois!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
You probably should get the tech package. Its not about the Nav but its about everything else that it comes with. A few things that BMW does not list on their site. Do some research and see, there are some threads on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
You probably should get the tech package. Its not about the Nav but its about everything else that it comes with. A few things that BMW does not list on their site. Do some research and see, there are some threads on this topic.
agreed. i almost didn't get it, but now i love the HUD and extended display on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

If you are purchasing the car add tech and leather for resale. Otherwise, lease what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnoonan View Post
Leatherette is a great alternative to leather. It's much more durable, maintenance free, will look brand new for years to come. Some people say it doesn't breathe as well as leather, and that it doesn't smell as nice when new. I'm a big fan of it as BMWs leather isn't the highest quality in the 3 series and will crack and wear quickly.
So its plastic wood panels, they are more durable and cheaper. Would you get the plastic wood trim if BMW offers it?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
achopra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i MSport

I would get the $500 Heated Front seats option, which you can get with leatherette.

Also, if your budget permits, get the technology package. Its pricy, but IMO well worth the money.

2020 G30 M550i ED on Sep 10, 2019
2016 F80 M3 ED on Jun 6, 2016
2013 F30 335i MSport ED on Aug 27, 2012 (Gone!)
2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 (Gone!)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Can't believe you don't use heated seats and live in Chicago? The first time my wife ever had a car with them was her 2007 A4, she thought it was a waste, until the first winter that she got to use them, now she will never get a car without it. She also had "pleather" and it worked fine.

What I hate is that you can't get a heated steering wheel as a stand alone anymore, we paid $200 extra on our X3 to get the cold weather package which had it, but on the 3XX series its a $950 option now and since both our kids will be in car seats for the next 3-4 years we have no need for the heated rear seats, for $450 extra I will pass on a heated steering wheel even though it is really nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
PhiTauFord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

I think it's all in what you'll use. If you don't use the features today it's reasonable to assume that you won't use them tomorrow either. I think the handling features of variable sport steering and adaptive suspension make a difference so you might want to reconsider those. If you can, drive one with and one without these so you can see if it matters to you.

I've seen others say that the standard radio is poor. Have you listened to it? If you have and you're ok with it then go with it.
      07-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
agreed. i almost didn't get it, but now i love the HUD and extended display on the dash.
You get the extended display if you order Navigation as a standalone. In fact, I ordered Nav as a standalone because it comes with everything in the tech package except BMW apps (worthless to us android owners) and heads up display, which I didn't think was worth the extra $1000 or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kqbimmer View Post

NO M or Sport Suspension - it doesnt lower the car and no sport suspension for XDRIVE sedans. It is also controlled by electronic sensors and after a while, the sensors can result in expensive repair as my X5 friends would tell me.

NO NAV / Heated Seat / Backup camera / other gadgets: I have all these gadgets and features in the Lexus and hardly ever use them.

NO M Sport package - I thought long and hard about this one. With the MSPORT, it makes the car look clutter in the front; I dont like how the new back looks; No rear deck spoiler; No fog lights for USA models.
With the comment about you being afraid of electronic sensors, you might as well buy a Dodge Truck. The car is flooded with electronic sensors and gadgets no matter what config you get it in. I've had a '02 325 and a '06 325, and the only electronic sensor I've had go out is a sensor in the engine that is part of the Valvetronic system, which all BMW's have. And yes, it was extremely pricy.

On the NAV, if the only NAV you've experience is Toyota's I can't say I blame you for your opinion. I'd go in the dealership, and really explore iDrive. It actually is really nice.

I'm with the other guys though, if you are keeping your car the way it is, I'd definitely lease it. I think resale of it will be a pain.
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good.

Quote:
Good call.

Quote:
NO Sport Line - Can't get beige interior no matter what. I dont like the other lines. I like the wheels from the sport line.
Yes you can get beige with the sport line. You have to deselect the red accent trim and pick the black gloss trim for example, and once you do that, it gives you the option to select venetian beige leatherette with the sport line. You can also get beige leatherette with the M-sport line (which my car has)

Quote:
You do want the adaptive m suspension in my opinion, especially for the bumpy roads in chicago. If you plan on keeping the car longer than 4 years I can understand your concern, but if you're leasing it or will buy and keep for less than 4 years then don't worry.

Quote:
NO Leather seating - I have leather in the Lexus and had leatherette in an Audi A4 before and didn't see any big difference.
Leatherette is different in every car. Some better than others. I'd go look at one first. I looked at one and ended up ordering leatherette myself.

Quote:
No heated seats is a huge mistake. I used mine a lot in Phoenix, but in Chicago they'd be even more valuable. More importantly, heated seats are hugely important for resale. If you're buying this car you have to get heated seats. Dealers will give you less on trade in, and buyers won't want it as much without heated seats. They're harder to sell, especially in Chicago. No leather may be harder for resale too.

Quote:
OK I guess. Stock fog lights are fairly worthless IMO. The M-sport does allow better cooling (in theory) so on hot summer days you could see your car run a shade cooler if that's important.

Quote:
I really like the MSPORT 400M 18" wheels; and the sport seats as people say it is a must have. My dealer said I cannot get the 400M as a standalone option; Can't get them for after market either.
You can get the 400M wheels with the M-sport line and I think that's it. The M-sport line is $1500 more than the sport line, and it comes with the wheels you really want as standard. So if you would have paid about $1000 extra to upgrade, that covers most of the M-sport cost. And you get the much nicer M-sport steering wheel and some other aesthetic components as part of the M-sport package. However, the M-sport and/or 400M wheels comes with summer performance tires, which will suck in the winter. If you plan on driving this car in the snow you will want to have a second set of wheels or tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
You get the extended display if you order Navigation as a standalone. In fact, I ordered Nav as a standalone because it comes with everything in the tech package except BMW apps (worthless to us android owners) and heads up display, which I didn't think was worth the extra $1000 or so.
Well you get BMW Apps (which even though I have an iphone I never see myself using those), Smartphone integration (although it will cost you another $270 to get the snap in adaptor!) and Head Up Display

its $950 more for those features. If you want the Head up display its a pretty good deal as that is normally a $1300 option on its own now.

For $950 I would get the package, the new HUD is pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
verbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Well you get BMW Apps (which even though I have an iphone I never see myself using those), Smartphone integration (although it will cost you another $270 to get the snap in adaptor!) and Head Up Display

its $950 more for those features. If you want the Head up display its a pretty good deal as that is normally a $1300 option on its own now.

For $950 I would get the package, the new HUD is pretty cool
Again, the snap in adaptor is worthless for us Android users. I was trying to say for people who don't own an I-phone, you're basically paying for an option you can't use.

I had HUD on my 2008 M5 and I did enjoy it. The HUD becomes even more valuable on the F30 however if you add a lot of other supporting options, like the driver assistance and assistance plus packages because those images appear on the HUD too. If I had all of those features I'd be more willing to get HUD on the F30. The thread starter has none of these.

Much of the HUD jubilation is coming from members who have never had it before. The fun/newness of HUD wears off over time in my opinion after having it myself. That's why I didn't want to spend the extra $950 for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All,

Long time reader, soon to be 1st time BMW owner coming from Lexus. Im looking for some advices / constructive comments from F30 owners or perhaps prior so that I wont regret that I made some mistakes.

I just ordered the 2013 F30 335 X DRIVE Melbourne Red / Beige Leatherette European Delivery and no other options because:

I could add some of these options without breaking my budget but I didnt get them because of those reasons above..so am I making mistakes by not including these options?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. I wouldnt have any regretts, I mean you pretty much know what you want. You picked the color ect. You cant go wrong with the xdrive in Chicago winters. YOu have 335i power.

You can always add the sportline wheels, M sport bumper and side skirts and the rear bumper if you choose. So Its not like you cant do some mods to keep you interested.

Me personally, I hardly ever use the nav. The Bmw app thing, doesnt really even interest me.

I do like the heads up display, and the parking package. Sportline for me is a must though. Not a big fan per se of awd but I havent owned too many awd vehicles. I just prefer rwd, and manual, but Opted auto this time.

Post pics when you get it.
      07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Again, the snap in adaptor is worthless for us Android users. I was trying to say for people who don't own an I-phone, you're basically paying for an option you can't use.

I had HUD on my 2008 M5 and I did enjoy it. The HUD becomes even more valuable on the F30 however if you add a lot of other supporting options, like the driver assistance and assistance plus packages because those images appear on the HUD too. If I had all of those features I'd be more willing to get HUD on the F30. The thread starter has none of these.

Much of the HUD jubilation is coming from members who have never had it before. The fun/newness of HUD wears off over time in my opinion after having it myself. That's why I didn't want to spend the extra $950 for it.
I love the HUD, especially with nav wich I rarely use, but it also gives you turn by turn directions on the HUD, I love it.