F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What tyres to go for?
proTUNING Freaks

04-15-2024, 05:50 AM   #1
PL777
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d F30 '16 / WRX STi 04

What tyres to go for?

Hi all - New user and have had my 330d F30 for a few years now. Had zero issues with it and have loved it after switching from a C250d as my daily driver.

Was unfortunate to suffer a puncture yesterday though on the front off side tyre which resulted in a very expensive emergency tyre call replacement service. Tyres were nearly due for replacement all round and now I'm running a temp budget option on the FOS I figured it's time to just get them all replaced.

My issue though is that i have the 20's which makes tyres a

Fronts - 225/35 R20
Rears - 255/35 R20

I have had Pirelli P Zero Run Flats on since i bought the car and replaced with the same last time. But if I'm honest, I cant stand them! Ride is shocking, run flat means nothing as they do not 'Run' when 'Flat'! And I have found the wear life to be terrible as well as the road noise. All round, not a fan basically.

But for some reason... Everyone i have spoke to has advised to stick with them?

Is this just because they are the most expensive option? What tyres have you all used and do you have any knowledge or insight into what alternatives are worth considering?

I have had good experiences on Jap tyres (Yoko / Toyo) on other vehicles, but people seem to turn their nose up at them and they are not rated as highly.

Apologies for the long post, but keen to see what views you all have on tyre options. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:06 AM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Look into non-RFT Continental. There is no reason to use RFT unless you get frequent flats in my opinion. Even still, you can just keep a tire plug kit in the trunk for an air compressor.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:10 AM   #3
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL777 View Post
Hi all - New user and have had my 330d F30 for a few years now. Had zero issues with it and have loved it after switching from a C250d as my daily driver.

Was unfortunate to suffer a puncture yesterday though on the front off side tyre which resulted in a very expensive emergency tyre call replacement service. Tyres were nearly due for replacement all round and now I'm running a temp budget option on the FOS I figured it's time to just get them all replaced.

My issue though is that i have the 20's which makes tyres a

Fronts - 225/35 R20
Rears - 255/35 R20

I have had Pirelli P Zero Run Flats on since i bought the car and replaced with the same last time. But if I'm honest, I cant stand them! Ride is shocking, run flat means nothing as they do not 'Run' when 'Flat'! And I have found the wear life to be terrible as well as the road noise. All round, not a fan basically.

But for some reason... Everyone i have spoke to has advised to stick with them?

Is this just because they are the most expensive option? What tyres have you all used and do you have any knowledge or insight into what alternatives are worth considering?

I have had good experiences on Jap tyres (Yoko / Toyo) on other vehicles, but people seem to turn their nose up at them and they are not rated as highly.

Apologies for the long post, but keen to see what views you all have on tyre options. Thanks!
UK section here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...412&order=desc

Ask in there and you'll get fellow UK'ers suggestions as we don't share a lot of tyre makes with the States etc

For me I'd bin the 20" alloys personally; asking for trouble. But then again the country roads local to me are horrendous; that's why I stick with 18s on my F31

I'd also bin the RFTs and get decent non RFTs and have a good tyre repair/inflator kit in the boot etc..

But again; that's my personal preference

Exactly what I did with my previous F01 on 20, 19 & 18" wheels and in my current F31

Tyre suggestions for me would be Vredestein, Nexen, Goodyear, Kumho, Falken and then Continental/Michelin

I'm running Goodyear Assym6s on my F31 for summers and Goodyear Vector Gen3 all season tyres for the colder/wetter months - find both to be absolutely superb

Hope this helps
      04-19-2024, 10:15 AM   #4
PL777
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d F30 '16 / WRX STi 04

Thanks for the replies. Definitely considering switching from RFT's, this is my first puncture in years and they are horrible.

Will check out the UK section, thanks!
Appreciate 1
danb19791935.50
      04-20-2024, 12:14 PM   #5
poteznydranf30
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

I now have Michelin Pilot Sport 5, 18" for the summer and I am very pleased - they are quiet, hold the road great and have a nice profile
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 03:00 PM   #6
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

The biggest factor with your ride is the 20" bit, not the RFT bit.

I've never found Yokohama or Toyo to be any good up here in Scotland as an all rounder. Fine on dry tarmac but greasy or cold and they're very twitchy.

I've got 19" RFT PZ4's on the summer wheels and they're harsh but that's what you expect from a stupid sidewall size, and RFT. Going to 20 and I can't imagine I'd last a week without destroying a rim. That's by the by though. I would say the PZ4 is definitely a step forward from the OEM spec Bridgestone S001 RFT, but in staggered sizes they're definitely front limited during normal fast driving, and then when it's greasy the back end definitely likes to step out more. I'm running square winter setup with 245/45/18 Conti RFT winters and they're actually more predictable and balanced. As an all round staggered setup the Michelin PS4S felt the best, but the downside for me is that they're not RFT, and I still think the square setup is better balanced as you can get the car to rotate better.

If I were you I'd be looking at Michelin PS4S (they're allegedly in line for replacement but they'll still be great tyres and as good as when they were first released), Good Year Eagle F1's, or Conti Sport Contacts (or even Premium Contacts, they got great reviews a few years ago). They last well, they work well in dry and wet and ride well. Pretty much all the ticks. I've got enough spare sets of 403M's here that I'm actually planning to take a set of rears and fit them with 4x 245/40/19 PS4S; good traction, good balance and a better ride, plus of course more sidewall for the shite rural roads up here.
Appreciate 0