F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Burning fat without losing muscle...
proTUNING Freaks

01-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Arrow Burning fat without losing muscle...

I know you cant burn fat while building muscle but my question is how to prevent your muscle mass while buring fat...

I work out 4 times a week and so far i put on 20lbs along some fat

Right now I am 177lbs and 6 ft with %15 BF right now. I guess, not too bad at all.

I need to gain another 3lbs and then start to burn fat to a level around %11
In that case I will need to lose around 7lbs of fat and some muscle abvously.

I read a lot of articles regarding to this manner. Hovewer many of them is explaning more about lowering BF from %20 to %10

Just wanted to check with your own experiences, what u guys are doing for fat loss after building muscle and how u do it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

To minimize muscle loss, pay close attention to your caloric deficit. Be patient and track your weight/mirror closely. You can try a 350-500 calorie deficit.

Good job on a successful bulk.
      01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i don't think its possible to lose fat and not muscle at the same time or am i wrong? every time i try to cut i always end up losing some muscle.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Leangains.com, try an IF protocol like his or similar with some mild stims, yohimbine hcl, sesamin, alphaburn, etc. Also, the boys at ironaddicts.com have this down to a science and have been doing this for years. Getting very lean takes either drugs, great genetics and/or the absence of carbohydrates/insulin for the majority of the day.
      01-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
To minimize muscle loss, pay close attention to your caloric deficit. Be patient and track your weight/mirror closely. You can try a 350-500 calorie deficit.

Good job on a successful bulk.
thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i don't think its possible to lose fat and not muscle at the same time or am i wrong? every time i try to cut i always end up losing some muscle.
thats what i said at the beginning of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Leangains.com, try an IF protocol like his or similar with some mild stims, yohimbine hcl, sesamin, alphaburn, etc. Also, the boys at ironaddicts.com have this down to a science and have been doing this for years. Getting very lean takes either drugs, great genetics and/or the absence of carbohydrates/insulin for the majority of the day.
will check, thanks for the websites.

i dont think i have that kind of genetics but will try to get as low as i can without drugs..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

You need to gain another 3 lbs? I take 5 lb deuces man.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Aggression
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12' CTS Coupe

Morning Cardio on an Empty Stomach on Thermo (I use OxyElitePro)=Fat loss while retaining most muscle mass if you stick to your training routine. Drink some BCAAs/EAA's throughout the day, then call me in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

yea, BCAAs
      02-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

Diet: high protein (not all in one meal as your body can only digest 30-60 grms of protein a meal depending on yoru size), low carb, no sugar, nuts, some fruit and veggies. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want, which is usually Sunday, then I watch what I eat the rest of the week. If you don't like veggies, then egg whites, grilled chicken and sweet potatoes go a long way.

Stairmaster to help preserve the joints (I had knee surgery so I can't run or jump yet) then weight training.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

What is the most effective cardio as far as heat and time-effective? I personally think biking for cardio is dumb... but jump-rope and sprinting seem to work up a sweat pretty quick, as well as kick-boxing practice on a 200lb bag.

If I'm taking the proper amount of protein, but only doing cardio for a while, will I still lose muscle from burning calories?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
If I'm taking the proper amount of protein, but only doing cardio for a while, will I still lose muscle from burning calories?
unfortunately yes, because your muscles will become weaker if u dont do weight lifting. once they r weaker, it means they will lose muscle..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
What is the most effective cardio as far as heat and time-effective? I personally think biking for cardio is dumb... but jump-rope and sprinting seem to work up a sweat pretty quick, as well as kick-boxing practice on a 200lb bag.

The only cardio machine that kicks my ass (I can't run or jump or else I would do sprints mixed with box jumps and updowns) is the stairmaster. Do 3, 20 min intervals, ramping up the speed on each interval, the last one being at level 12 (or whatever level is just under running up the stairs). If you aren't fit enough to do the last one for all 20 min, slow it down. To keep in interesting, I try to beat my personal best on floors climed. So far my best is 154 floors in 20 min

Do the above in the morning, then weight training 4 days a week after work, eat better, and report back. You will be in summer shape in no time
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Diet: high protein (not all in one meal as your body can only digest 30-60 grms of protein a meal depending on yoru size), low carb, no sugar, nuts, some fruit and veggies. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want, which is usually Sunday, then I watch what I eat the rest of the week. If you don't like veggies, then egg whites, grilled chicken and sweet potatoes go a long way.

Stairmaster to help preserve the joints (I had knee surgery so I can't run or jump yet) then weight training.
lol don't listen to this post.

I forgot, OP what does your typical week of training look like?
      02-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
What do you know...once again telling someone their full of shit. Don't listen to this 'tard...

One of his quotes; "PS You said that you gained muscle during your weight loss from 225-208, unfortunatly that is not possible. You gain mass from a caloric surplus, and lose weight in a deficit. You just leaned out and appeared more defined"

I was a D1 athlete, black-belt, and worked out with the best trainers. You have probably never worked out "hard" in your life, nor excelled at any sport. Good day Mr Troll and keep telling everyone else on the forum that are full of shit.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
What do you know...once again telling someone their full of shit. Don't listen to this 'tard...

One of his quotes; "PS You said that you gained muscle during your weight loss from 225-208, unfortunatly that is not possible. You gain mass from a caloric surplus, and lose weight in a deficit. You just leaned out and appeared more defined"

I was a D1 athlete, black-belt, and worked out with the best trainers. You have probably never worked out "hard" in your life, nor excelled at any sport. Good day Mr Troll and keep telling everyone else on the forum that are full of shit.
Sweet post bro, but you call me the troll? What do you want me to prove?
      02-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Lol. Alright Internet gym master...we should all probably listen to you just so you don't say retarded/non contributing posts.

I'm interested, what part of my post do you not agree with? Everything I posted is a proven, and idiot proof, way to lose weight. I will explain: The diet portion is, in effect, a paleo based diet (I'll give you time to read up on Paleo). and everyone needs a cheat day, saying you have to eat chicken/veggies all day, every day, is not sustainable. What people need to focus on is a sustainable figure/lifestyle, in my humble opinion. The stairmaster part, well you obviously haven't been on a stairmaster before at any level of intensity. Plus it's a good way to preserve your joints; I had knee surgery 4 months ago so I personally cannot run or jump but if one is able, I would recommend other forms of cardio. The cool thing about the stairmaster is that anyone can do it

Last edited by golfinz; 02-01-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, I'll be more specific. Your point about the body being able to absorb 30-60g protein has been proven debunked and a myth.

If you think that limiting certain foods is really what makes losing weight successful, you're wrong; it's a caloric deficit.

I'm not going to touch your post about only eating chicken and veggies, because that is not what I do or even mentioned.

The key to success is to count calories. Have a proper fat and protein intake and feel free to fill the rest with CHO. Adjust according to your goals. If you include a weight training schedule too, excellent.

That fucking simple. I eat what I want, when I want - I count calories by tracking macros.

Please see http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html

Last edited by Quick6EF; 02-01-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I'll be more specific. Your point about the body being able to absorb 30-60g protein has been proven debunked and a myth.

If you think that limiting certain foods is really what makes losing weight successful, you're wrong; it's a caloric deficit.

I'm not going to touch your post about only eating chicken and veggies, because that is not what I do or even mentioned.

The key to success is to count calories. Have a proper fat and protein intake and feel free to fill the rest with CHO. Adjust according to your goals. If you include a weight training schedule too, excellent.

That fucking simple. I eat what I want, when I want - I count calories by tracking macros.

Please see http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
My point about the body being able to absorb more than 60grms (that was a guess btw) or more of protein in one sitting is not a myth. I'm not a biologist, but I am willing to put a lot of money on the line and say that there is a point where the body "has enough" of protein, or any nutrient for that matter, before it will stop absorbing it.

Finally, and most importantly, if you think it's "all about" limiting calories, then you're misguided. I agree that decreasing the amount of calories one takes in is important/necessary in losing weight, but it's also the TYPE of calories one takes in. For example, with all else equal, if we both had only 1500 calories a day, and you did it with pizza/burgers/cokes and I did it with chicken/veggies/fruits I GUARANTEE I would be in better shape and be able to lift more. Why? Because our body is a machine and what you put in is what you get out. The body burns healthy food more efficiently then processed/fattening foods. Plus, if we stick with that 1500 K diet, you would be able to eat maybe 3 pieces of pizza while on the other hand I could have many chicken breats, tons of veggies, egg whites, and a protein shake. That will fuel me all day where as the food you eat won't get you through half a day. I am also recommending that people do weight loss in a sustainable fashion, not by "flash dieting." Making correct choices is far superior then counting calories.

I understand your point about calorie deficts, but it isn't as "F'ing" easy as you put it or we would all be as chisled as Greg Plitt. It takes time, and dedication.

And btw, I don't need a link on the internet showing the the "top 10 myths" of anything. I don't believe everthing I read on the internet like some people do
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My point about the body being able to absorb more than 60grms (that was a guess btw) or more of protein in one sitting is not a myth. I'm not a biologist, but I am willing to put a lot of money on the line and say that there is a point where the body "has enough" of protein, or any nutrient for that matter, before it will stop absorbing it.

Finally, and most importantly, if you think it's "all about" limiting calories, then you're misguided. I agree that decreasing the amount of calories one takes in is important/necessary in losing weight, but it's also the TYPE of calories one takes in. For example, with all else equal, if we both had only 1500 calories a day, and you did it with pizza/burgers/cokes and I did it with chicken/veggies/fruits I GUARANTEE I would be in better shape and be able to lift more. Why? Because our body is a machine and what you put in is what you get out. The body burns healthy food more efficiently then processed/fattening foods. Plus, if we stick with that 1500 K diet, you would be able to eat maybe 3 pieces of pizza while on the other hand I could have many chicken breats, tons of veggies, egg whites, and a protein shake. That will fuel me all day where as the food you eat won't get you through half a day. I am also recommending that people do weight loss in a sustainable fashion, not by "flash dieting." Making correct choices is far superior then counting calories.

I understand your point about calorie deficts, but it isn't as "F'ing" easy as you put it or we would all be as chisled as Greg Plitt. It takes time, and dedication.

And btw, I don't need a link on the internet showing the the "top 10 myths" of anything. I don't believe everthing I read on the internet like some people do
Any full grown man eating 1500 calories is doing it wrong. I'll agree to disagree here. GL to you whatever your goals are.

PS Counting calories will always win out. You're playing a guessing game with just eating "clean foods." That's why 9/10 people never get the results they want.
      02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Any full grown man eating 1500 calories is doing it wrong. I'll agree to disagree here. GL to you whatever your goals are.

PS Counting calories will always win out. You're playing a guessing game with just eating "clean foods." That's why 9/10 people never get the results they want.
That number was just used for an example. Just like your "9/10 people never get the results they want" number.

Good luck counting calories the rest of your life It isn't a guessing game when eating healthy because your body will tell you when it's full and when it needs more fuel. With processed/unnatural foods, they trick your body into thinking different things (aka: aspertain, it is a chemical that TRICKS your brain into thinking something is sweet, when it isn't a sweetener at all...it actually turns into fermaldihide at 86*...guess what our natural body temp is)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:

Yeah, but he reads a lot and btw...he will tell you soon that He is right because you are wrong

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 02-02-2012 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: adding
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yeah, but he reads a lot and btw...he will tell you soon that He is right because you are wrong

I don't make it up, educate yourself.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-prot...e-sitting.html

check the sources