F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Auto Start Stop Stalling
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

03-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
do manual f30s get this stupid feature? if they do i cant imagine how it works, and reliable.
Yes they do, and it works better than on the automatics, because the engine starts when you press the clutch, not when you take the foot off the brake. It's more natural and you can't really catch the car's computer unprepared. Also you can start the car seconds before driving off, by pressing the clutch, putting the car in gear and waiting. On the automatics you can't really do this.

The start-stop system for the automatic transmissions is newer tech than on the manual transmissions, maybe there are some problems not yet solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I understand the auto start/stop can manually be shut off every time you turn on the ignition. But can you permanently turn it off by some setting inside iDrive so you don't have to be bothered doing it every time you turn on the ignition?
You can't turn it off in iDrive, but I'm pretty sure that you can change the code using the D-CAN cable and the NCSExpert software. There's a website (which I can't post here apparently) called BMW Coding dot com. The F30 is still very new, but I saw some threads on there where certain users are already tinkering around.

Of course, doing so could void your warranty, but you folks are so annoyed that you have to press a button, perhaps you don't mind reprogramming the car. Like another user said, BMW has to leave it on by default for their CAFE ratings, so I wouldn't expect this to change anytime soon.
      03-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Yes they do, and it works better than on the automatics, because the engine starts when you press the clutch, not when you take the foot off the brake. It's more natural and you can't really catch the car's computer unprepared. Also you can start the car seconds before driving off, by pressing the clutch, putting the car in gear and waiting. On the automatics you can't really do this.

The start-stop system for the automatic transmissions is newer tech than on the manual transmissions, maybe there are some problems not yet solved.
I'm glad you posted this. I asked a salesman today how the auto start stop worked with a manual and he said " the engine comes back on when you take your foot off of the brake pedal" I thought to myself, in a manual I may not have my foot on the brake pedal, just the clutch.... what you described is much more logical and makes me feel better about the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #26
motorwaytg1
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post

I'm glad you posted this. I asked a salesman today how the auto start stop worked with a manual and he said " the engine comes back on when you take your foot off of the brake pedal" I thought to myself, in a manual I may not have my foot on the brake pedal, just the clutch.... what you described is much more logical and makes me feel better about the system.
I have stop start on my current 320d coupe manual and it starts up as soon as I press the clutch
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #27
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

You guys have a decent Lemon Law in California. If the dealer can't fix it, email them a copy...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Press brake to start engine

Remember, you can start the engine on automatics by pressing the brake harder for a moment. This will let you get the engine started well before you move the foot off the brake to give some gas. I tried this on a 328i.

You are also supposed to be able to stop it from turning off when you stop by doing the same procedure right after stopping but I haven't managed. Both these things are described in the manual (Swedish at least).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
this just seems retarded and unnecessary ware on the ignition system. do manual f30s get this stupid feature? if they do i cant imagine how it works, and reliable.

The things that car manufacturers have to do to get their C.A.F.E rating. its ridiculous and needs to be overturned. Hopefully we see some new faces in november.
The government didn't impose this auto on/off thing, BMW chose to do it.
BMW could have easily chose to not make the F30 bigger, and using the current manufacturing the weight reduction would have been even greater and the MPG even better.

I too would like to see new faces in November, but that won't change what BMW does.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

dang this has happened to me approximately 5 times in the last month and most recently at a left turn light. You know when you think the person in front of you is going to go, you let off the brake, engine starts, but then u realize the person in front of u is an old lady, foot back on the brake and then it stalled. I have to admit I panicked a bit as I was at the intersection and it took me a few seconds to start the engine back up.

anyone bring theirs back to the dealer yet and have anything positive done?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
BMW could have easily chose to not make the F30 bigger.
Not really, no. It is obvious that with new models BMW wants to "grab" as many potential customers as possible from as many different market segments as possible, especially the ones that don't really care about "sportiness", and you MUST increase the overall size of the car if you want to do that, simply because of this:
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwwyeah206 View Post
dang this has happened to me approximately 5 times in the last month and most recently at a left turn light. You know when you think the person in front of you is going to go, you let off the brake, engine starts, but then u realize the person in front of u is an old lady, foot back on the brake and then it stalled. I have to admit I panicked a bit as I was at the intersection and it took me a few seconds to start the engine back up.

anyone bring theirs back to the dealer yet and have anything positive done?
Don't forget to make a report to NHTSA. If enough people will report it, there's a chance (no matter how small it is) that BMW will make necessary improvements faster or totally remove this ridiculous "band-aid" technology from future gasoline/diesel-powered models.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #33
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Take the car to the dealer.
Their system has a specific test function to thoroughly test the Auto Stop Start system
'Fleet, you are presuming that the dealers know how to "throughly test" ASS.

As I discovered when the E90 was new, until they have had time to get to know the cars, they are mostly at a loss. They don't read the TSBs and they often will do odd things to fix a problem rather than get BMW involved.

This is the price we early adopters pay.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #34
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
is this normal behavior:

I come to a stop and the engine goes in ready mode, but then if I put it in park the engine instantly shuts OFF?

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #35
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
'Fleet, you are presuming that the dealers know how to "throughly test" ASS.

As I discovered when the E90 was new, until they have had time to get to know the cars, they are mostly at a loss. They don't read the TSBs and they often will do odd things to fix a problem rather than get BMW involved.

This is the price we early adopters pay.
I have bought new models a couple times, and that has not been the experience at my dealer. Sounds like you just have a bad dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #36
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
BMW could have easily chose to not make the F30 bigger, and using the current manufacturing the weight reduction would have been even greater and the MPG even better.

I too would like to see new faces in November, but that won't change what BMW does.
Actually, the start/stop function is a product of European regulations, not US regulations, so don't blame out politicians here for it. Further, if it doesn't work properly, that is the fault of BMW. I just took delivery of a new '12 Porsche 911 Carrera S with start/stop, and it works beautifully. You barely notice the engine turning off and on, and there is no shutter or shaking like some have described. I actually like the function, as we have a lot of long red lights here. I will be picking up my F30 in a week and a half and will be able to compare the two. However, since this does seem to be a common complaint, it seems as though BMW screwed this one up.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwwyeah206 View Post
The crux of the problem is in the thread above. It's a dangerous problem with some new 3ers...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #38
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
is this normal behavior:

I come to a stop and the engine goes in ready mode, but then if I put it in park the engine instantly shuts OFF?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #39
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
This sort do stuff worries me and makes me consider waiting to purchase my F30 until BMW irons out some of the kinks.
I agree, this system in its current form truly does sound like A.S.S. That and a few other problems that are cropping up on here make me think there are quite a few bugs in the car.

I was planning on ordering a 2013 this June, but now I'm considering ordering a 2014 next June, even though my $1500 USAA cash back will likely be gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #40
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Ive had it happen about 4 times. Was always when I was stopped and let up on the brake a bit. This seems to trigger the stalling from what I experienced.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #41
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Not really, no. It is obvious that with new models BMW wants to "grab" as many potential customers as possible from as many different market segments as possible, especially the ones that don't really care about "sportiness", and you MUST increase the overall size of the car if you want to do that, simply because of this:
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
Before the United States gets blamed for making the 3 series bigger because all our people are fat ( I'm 5' 11" 175 lbs. But hey , by the BMI chart I'm considered obese) , check the obesity rate for the UK. There was an article written a few months back in a British newspaper that was about car manufacturers having to make their cars bigger due to people getting bigger.Particularly in the UK. It stated that the obesity rate was climbing faster there than anywhere else in the world. People in general are getting bigger throughout the world, so PLEASE don't think I'm picking on one country or people. They simple fact is , our work and lifestyles have changed so much , even in the last 10 yrs, that most people just don't do enough physical activity anymore .

Last edited by Reznick; 04-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #42
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Before the United States gets blamed for making the 3 series bigger because all our people are fat ( I'm 5' 11" 175 lbs. But hey , by the BMI chart I'm considered obese) , check the obesity rate for the UK. There was an article written a few months back in a British newspaper that was about car manufacturers having to make their cars bigger due to people getting bigger.Particularly in the UK. It stated that the obesity rate was climbing faster there than anywhere else in the world. People in general are getting bigger throughout the world, so PLEASE don't think I'm picking on one country or people. They simple fact is , our work and lifestyles have changed so much , even in the last 10 yrs, that most people just don't do enough physical activity anymore .
20 years ago you couldent get it up if you wernt in shape. Now they have a pill for that, so very little incentive to keep in shape for men. With their husbands getting fat, the wives feel entitled to as well.

Both my wife and I can wear the same clothes we wore in college 20 years ago because we put healthy lifestyle and exercise high on the list. No need for pills either
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #43
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece
Bring it to your dealer. There about 170 different checks that the car does before the A.S.S. takes action. Lots of things to change while your car is stopped and then looking to start again
Perhaps, but all this checks are made before the engine is shut off. If the system did not pass each and every one of the 170 checks then the engine would have remained on.

Once the engine is turned off, these checks mean nothing. All that is left is for the engine to restart when the foot comes off the brake and the accelerator is depressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #44
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90

Thank you!! This is more marketing than anything else. Lots of things could be done to save 3 measly percent on gas.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread