F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone waiting on a 330d M Sport?
Studio RSR

10-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #67
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartrav View Post
I have just paid the deposit for a 330d Msport. Initial delivery date is 30/12/12 however the dealer thinks this will come down to about 8 weeks.

I have ordered amongst other things the Professional Media pack, presumably I will definitely get the latest version of the Nav as my order will be a custom build?
Thats same week as me. week 52. You should definitely get the new nav.

My sales guy said it actually only takes a day to build the car.

The rest of the time after is just shipping.

Can anyone with a 330D let me know what kind of mpg they're getting?
      10-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #68
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport Saloon 08 facelift

Thanks everyone.

My order confirmation states delivery / collection from the dealer as 30/12/12 however the dealer has commented that he thinks I will get it sooner. (All the dealers I spoke to reckoned the leadtime would be 8-10 weeks).

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the old and new nav? Also does the fact I have gone for the professional nav make any difference? If someone can either send me a link to details on the new nav or outline them here that would be great.

Just a thought, does the new nav have a different code? If so I could contact the dealer and specify it.

Many thanks.
      10-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #69
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the old and new nav? Also does the fact I have gone for the professional nav make any difference? If someone can either send me a link to details on the new nav or outline them here that would be great.
Attached may be of interest
Attached Images
File Type: pdf New 609 Professional Nav Overview_3.pdf (1.68 MB, 1428 views)
      10-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #70
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
Attached may be of interest
That was very useful, thanks.

Has anyone been given a definitive build date as to when the f30 will 100% come with the new nav?
      10-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #71
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
That was very useful, thanks.

Has anyone been given a definitive build date as to when the f30 will 100% come with the new nav?
Yes week 45 on is New nav, there is a thread in the UK section on this
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #72
stuartrav
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Sorry I must have missed the thread re the week no. for the new version of the nav.

I have spoken to the dealer and they have confirmed I will get the new nav.
      10-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #73
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

So the sales guy rings me this morning, says he saw the M brakes for the first time in the flesh (so to speak) with the 19's and EB and says they look 'absolutely great' and seem much more powerful in use. He seemed very enthusiastic.

They're an €800 option here and a quick search through the forum seems people are lukewarm about them - any thoughts ? I'm seemingly due to go to lock down soon.

(I won't be able to see it myself, looks good on the configurator though)

Last edited by crowdedhouse; 10-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #74
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I've ordered it for mine. More for image/look really, I'll admit that.

No doubt they perform better. But it's certainly not a must have by a long way.

There's probably a lot of other things you would tick before you tick the M brakes.
      10-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #75
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I think during normal driving (even a bit of fast road use), you wouldnt prob need these brakes. And come replacement time - ouch!!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #76
Hardrada
Rep
Drives: F31 330D-M SPORT- Estoril Blue

I've got the standard brakes on my 330D Msport F31, and they're plenty powerful.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #77
yachtchef
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 f31 3.0d msport ebII

Garage List
Well I ordered the mbrakes and I asked the difference in parts and they are >>> The brakes to replace all four pads and discs (parts only) are £560
>>> standard and £840 for m performance the labour costs would be the
>>> same for both and should last the same approx.45,000miles. So as you see not a huge difference but IMO worth every penny!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #78
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You do realise that the rears probably cost same as standard, so the extra is for fronts only....yikes
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #79
yachtchef
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 f31 3.0d msport ebII

Garage List
£280 extra is not the end of the world. Works out £70 a year extra, for the extra safety and goods looks! Will take me 4 years at least to do 45000 and that's if I keep it that long! So IMO still worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #80
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Upgrade brakes really are worth considering

A thought to throw into the mix on this. Whether or not you go for the M Sport brakes is less about perceived power and more about feel and control.

I've a bit of experience of upgrading brakes and, once you've done it, it's a revelation and you will never (never, ever) go back to basic brakes. A bigger braking system with bigger, better vented discs and bigger callipers will give you a firmer pedal feel that is much easier to modulate (sorry, can't think of a smaller word to say this). The bite will be really positive, with a great sense of feel and a really good sense of exactly how much further you can go.

You may not find fault with standard brakes in day to day driving, but the reduction in stopping distance with bigger brakes, especially at motorway speeds is very significant. The thing that finally tipped me into buying serious brakes (for my 530d M Sport) was having a very near miss when a woman in the outside lane on the M5 north of Bristol managed to spin her car a full 180 degrees in front of me at speed (still not sure quit how the heck she did it, as all three lanes were busy at the time). I always leave a healthy gap, but I lost half a second as my jaw dropped at the scene unfolding in front of me in slow motion - then I hit the brakes hard and stayed on them. I was doing an indicated 85 when she started to spin and she was stationary and (miraculously) facing me, perfectly lined up in my lane seconds later while I was still moving forward and the pedal was starting to sink ... I just managed to stop and actually nudged her car ever so gently. By the way, the car was 18 months old and in good shape - it's just a rare thing to do a full-pedal stop from 85 to zero and 1850kg is a lot of car to haul down full-pedal from 85 to zero.

It was all very scary: first the near miss (erm very small hit actually) and then the horrifying sight of three lanes of hard-charging traffic bearing down on me from behind and taking horrifying aeons to realise that I was stationary and married to the nose of an MPV pointing the wrong way. I really thought it was a matter of seconds before I'd get hit very hard and wound up in an ambulance, but luck was with us I managed to get across three lanes to the hard shoulder. Too much heat generated too quickly for most standard braking systems to cope on a heavy car.

Shortly after that, I took the plunge and put a set of big six-pot AP Racing brakes on on the 530d and have loved them ever since. You do have to be careful in a motorway situation, as you can stop in less than two thirds of the distance of most vehicles on the road. You'll see less difference in stopping distances at lower speeds (where heat build up is barely relevant), but the added bonus in all situations is a much firmer pedal with loads of feel and feedback.

It's worth trying a little test with standard brakes to get a sense of what this is about. By the way, ONLY DO THIS if your dampers are in good condition, or you'll wind up swerving across the road. Try braking two-thirds of full-pedal if you're not sure. Find a wide, long, straight stretch of road and go there when there is no traffic. Try three successive full-pedal stops from 85mph. As soon as you've come to a stop, get straight back up to speed and hit the brakes again (stay hard on them all the way to standstill as if in a real emergency stop). Chances are, you'll feel some fade and a bit of pedal sag on the second stop. By the third stop, you'll probably be feeling real signs of fade.

Anyway, I know the mildly upgraded M Sport brakes won't be in the league of the likes of AP Racing kits, but the main thing I'm aiming for is firmer feel, shorter pedal travel and better feel and control. I also want the aded safety margin - bigger, better brakes will simply haul a car to a stop quicker and with less drama in an emergency braking situation.

Although not up to M Performance spec, the disks on the M Sport brakes are quite a bit bigger than standard, more heavily vented and the callipers are bigger, stronger four-pot units. It's worth noting that BMW fit them as standard to all their hottest non-M cars (e.g. M135i), so they can't be bad.

If I had the money, I'd go for the full M Performance brakes, but they're way more money than the M Sport brakes and I think there will be a very noticeable difference over standard - not bad for £560.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #81
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
A thought to throw into the mix on this. Whether or not you go for the M Sport brakes is less about perceived power and more about feel and control.

I've a bit of experience of upgrading brakes and, once you've done it, it's a revelation and you will never (never, ever) go back to basic brakes. A bigger braking system with bigger, better vented discs and bigger callipers will give you a firmer pedal feel that is much easier to modulate (sorry, can't think of a smaller word to say this). The bite will be really positive, with a great sense of feel and a really good sense of exactly how much further you can go.

You may not find fault with standard brakes in day to day driving, but the reduction in stopping distance with bigger brakes, especially at motorway speeds is very significant. The thing that finally tipped me into buying serious brakes (for my 530d M Sport) was having a very near miss when a woman in the outside lane on the M5 north of Bristol managed to spin her car a full 180 degrees in front of me at speed (still not sure quit how the heck she did it, as all three lanes were busy at the time). I always leave a healthy gap, but I lost half a second as my jaw dropped at the scene unfolding in front of me in slow motion - then I hit the brakes hard and stayed on them. I was doing an indicated 85 when she started to spin and she was stationary and (miraculously) facing me, perfectly lined up in my lane seconds later while I was still moving forward and the pedal was starting to sink ... I just managed to stop and actually nudged her car ever so gently. By the way, the car was 18 months old and in good shape - it's just a rare thing to do a full-pedal stop from 85 to zero and 1850kg is a lot of car to haul down full-pedal from 85 to zero.

It was all very scary: first the near miss (erm very small hit actually) and then the horrifying sight of three lanes of hard-charging traffic bearing down on me from behind and taking horrifying aeons to realise that I was stationary and married to the nose of an MPV pointing the wrong way. I really thought it was a matter of seconds before I'd get hit very hard and wound up in an ambulance, but luck was with us I managed to get across three lanes to the hard shoulder. Too much heat generated too quickly for most standard braking systems to cope on a heavy car.

Shortly after that, I took the plunge and put a set of big six-pot AP Racing brakes on on the 530d and have loved them ever since. You do have to be careful in a motorway situation, as you can stop in less than two thirds of the distance of most vehicles on the road. You'll see less difference in stopping distances at lower speeds (where heat build up is barely relevant), but the added bonus in all situations is a much firmer pedal with loads of feel and feedback.

It's worth trying a little test with standard brakes to get a sense of what this is about. By the way, ONLY DO THIS if your dampers are in good condition, or you'll wind up swerving across the road. Try braking two-thirds of full-pedal if you're not sure. Find a wide, long, straight stretch of road and go there when there is no traffic. Try three successive full-pedal stops from 85mph. As soon as you've come to a stop, get straight back up to speed and hit the brakes again (stay hard on them all the way to standstill as if in a real emergency stop). Chances are, you'll feel some fade and a bit of pedal sag on the second stop. By the third stop, you'll probably be feeling real signs of fade.

Anyway, I know the mildly upgraded M Sport brakes won't be in the league of the likes of AP Racing kits, but the main thing I'm aiming for is firmer feel, shorter pedal travel and better feel and control. I also want the aded safety margin - bigger, better brakes will simply haul a car to a stop quicker and with less drama in an emergency braking situation.

Although not up to M Performance spec, the disks on the M Sport brakes are quite a bit bigger than standard, more heavily vented and the callipers are bigger, stronger four-pot units. It's worth noting that BMW fit them as standard to all their hottest non-M cars (e.g. M135i), so they can't be bad.

If I had the money, I'd go for the full M Performance brakes, but they're way more money than the M Sport brakes and I think there will be a very noticeable difference over standard - not bad for £560.
I agree on the big brakes, I have opted for the "Brake upgrade" I drove the upgrade as apposed to the STD I have on the loaner ( F31 328i) and what a difference.
Much nicer firmer peddle feel, than the STD soft feel.
Worth every penny to me.Looks great also.
      10-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #82
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

The problem that I see with better brakes is that YOU can stop in a hurry, but the guy behind can’t so in an emergency situation on a motorway you may not go into the person in front, but the guy behind may well go into you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #83
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Thanks to all for the excellent input re the M brakes - appreciated

I'm tempted :-)
      10-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #84
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
The problem that I see with better brakes is that YOU can stop in a hurry, but the guy behind can’t so in an emergency situation on a motorway you may not go into the person in front, but the guy behind may well go into you.
My take as well, still a high risk factor while in traffic. Very much the same scenario if you have winter tyres and drive in traffic, you have that constant fear that you are in a better position to control your car, but what of all those around you with summer tyres in snow? In fact you need a higher level of awareness, once you have the edge on other drivers around you.

For me the higher performance parts are more for driving alone, away from other traffic, when you have more control of situations. But in normal driving, standard BMW brakes (in good condition) still out perform the average car around you.

BTW, what's the Performance option brake feeling, when brakes are cold? That is often the snag with a performance setup, you need a bit of heat before brakes are up to optimum feel and performance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #85
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
If it's a case of hit the guy in front and then get hit from behind -OR- manage to pull up in time and then get hit from behind... bearing in mind that the guy behind might not even be there or might somehow avoid you, then I'd probably opt for the big brakes

What is a shame is that the M Sport brake upgrade (as opposed to the M Performance brake upgrade) is only offered as an option on the M Sport model. This would seem to be another case of BMW being a bit silly with safety options (OPTIONAL seat belt pre-tensioners anyone?).

As someone who has been hit from behind when stationary by a woman doing 50mph and landed in hospital plus a six year court battle to get compensation... I wish everyone had the best brakes going (and the reactions to match!)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #86
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
... I wish everyone had the best brakes going (and the reactions to match!)
How often have we heard "the brakes failed", when really it was "the brain failed".

Taking it further, we ought to add in tyres here, as 1.6mm tread is no way to get good stopping power, even if we do have top notch brakes and reactions.

Who is in the 3mm camp for replacing tyres? Personally I see that as important (perhaps more important) as running upgrading brakes. Particularly as I see cars out there with upgraded brakes with virtually bold tyres, what is going on there?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #87
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

I agree with Pete.

Personally I start hunting for tyres once the tread drops below 4mm, largely 'cos my previous car (Merc SLK 350) was like a drunken moose on a skating rink once the rears dropped below 3mm and the weather was wet/icy. And that was WITHOUT braking

Fronts didn't seem to be affected until nearer 2mm though.

Have to wait & see how the 320 fares when the time comes, but I doubt I'll be letting them go much beyond 3mm in any case as I've seen too many victims of RTAs in my time - mostly arising from an "inability" to stop smoothly and appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #88
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
How often have we heard "the brakes failed", when really it was "the brain failed".

Taking it further, we ought to add in tyres here, as 1.6mm tread is no way to get good stopping power, even if we do have top notch brakes and reactions.

Who is in the 3mm camp for replacing tyres? Personally I see that as important (perhaps more important) as running upgrading brakes. Particularly as I see cars out there with upgraded brakes with virtually bold tyres, what is going on there?

HighlandPete
I change tyres when the arsometer tells me too, not a tyre tread depth gauge in sight.
Appreciate 0