F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Trades
Extreme Powerhouse

12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Trades

So has anyone traded in their 2009 335i in for one of the 2013s? And how much did you get for your trade in. Like I owe 22.5k on the car, would I pretty much just expect to get it paid off? If that's the case I wouldn't be interested at all, but If I was able to walk in and get a great lease deal on a new one with a trade in, i'd be all over it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Depends on what your car is worth and more importantly, what a dealer would give you for it. You have to shop around for trade-in price just like you shop for lease price. Dealers can play with the numbers on either side to make the deal seem better, so best to shop lease price first, without bringing up the trade, then get quotes on the trade-in as well. You may find some dealers have better lease prices but not as good trade in value, and vice-versa. Just have to find your best overall package.

As a guess, without knowing anything about the mileage and options or condition of your car, I would think you could get a good deal on the lease and get out of your car. F30 Lease prices right now are excellent to begin with, so even if you break even on the trade, you should be able to get a good price. If you have low mileage, maybe you get some money towards the lease on top of it..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Depends on what your car is worth and more importantly, what a dealer would give you for it. You have to shop around for trade-in price just like you shop for lease price. Dealers can play with the numbers on either side to make the deal seem better, so best to shop lease price first, without bringing up the trade, then get quotes on the trade-in as well. You may find some dealers have better lease prices but not as good trade in value, and vice-versa. Just have to find your best overall package.

As a guess, without knowing anything about the mileage and options or condition of your car, I would think you could get a good deal on the lease and get out of your car. F30 Lease prices right now are excellent to begin with, so even if you break even on the trade, you should be able to get a good price. If you have low mileage, maybe you get some money towards the lease on top of it..
Yea that's not what I would be looking for is just paying my car off for the lease. I would expect to get some money for my car towards the new lease. I have 23k miles, preferred and sport package and 1 full year left of original warranty. I've seen a couple of my exact cars at the dealerships used lot for 33k or so. I just wanted to see if anyone has traded in a 2009 335i recently and what they got.
My goal would pretty much to take advantage of the lease deals where it says $400 a month for a 2013 335i with 3,8k down. With my car paying the 3.8 down and then having the holiday rebates bring it down another 2k. So pretty much walking out with a under 400 a month payment without putting anything down.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
XmX32
Rep
Drives: F30

If you have the time to sell it privately, maybe list it on something like autotrader, then you'd get a more money out of your car then trading it in. In my experience the dealer tries to use trade in to confuse you with the numbers and make you think your getting a good deal when your really not. Of course some people rather spend the extra money and save the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

if you're seeing 33k at dealership for similar packaged car, similar mileage, condition, etc.. I would figure you would get around 28-29 as a trade-in, maybe 30-31 privately. Either way, sounds like you would definitely get some cash back to apply to the lease.

I've done both and for me, trading in saves a lot of hassle and some expense over selling yourself privately. If you have the time to deal with the hassle of letting strangers drive your car, you could make a little more that way, maybe a grand or two. But if you want to trade it in, definitely negotiate the price of the car without any mention of a trade-in, get the deal you want, then bring up the trade and don't let them play games with the numbers. If you negotiate $400/month, it stays 400 a month. If they won't give you a fair price on the trade, go somewhere else. They'll make money on both cars either way, they don't need to make a fortune on either one of them. Treat it like 2 separate transactions and make sure they do as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmX32 View Post
In my experience the dealer tries to use trade in to confuse you with the numbers and make you think your getting a good deal when your really not.
Only if you let them. It's too easy to KNOW whether or not you're getting a good deal these days, and too easy to get a dozen quotes without picking up a phone. Salesman have lost a lot of power that way, as long as buyers are smart enough to do just a little bit of homework.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
XmX32
Rep

Can't argue with that .
Just remember to follow chrisny's advice:

Quote:
negotiate the price of the car without any mention of a trade-in, get the deal you want, then bring up the trade
and you'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can't argue with that .
Just remember to follow chrisny's advice:

and you'll be fine
I've never understood why salesman just don't be upfront and genuine with people. Id never go anywhere else if I found that type of salesman. I understand they need to make money and im ok with that. But the way most of them try to trick you is what makes the process so crappy. That's why im asking on this forum, because I know walking into the dealship will be such a cheesy hassle
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

I cringe when I go into a dealership and hear "so which car are you bringing home today"
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
XmX32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
I've never understood why salesman just don't be upfront and genuine with people. Id never go anywhere else if I found that type of salesman. I understand they need to make money and im ok with that. But the way most of them try to trick you is what makes the process so crappy. That's why im asking on this forum, because I know walking into the dealship will be such a cheesy hassle
Don't bother looking you probably never will (sorry for the negativity), i thought i had once with a salesman who sold us our first bmw (X5) but when i was buying my f30 from him he just told lie after lie after lie, (he even told me their invoice was 1700 higher than it was) and i caught him in i think every lie thanks to google lol. If your buying a second car from the same salesman try dealing with him through email, it worked beautifully with me. If its the first time you buy a car from him he wont take you seriously through email and will probably ignore you.

Quote:
I cringe when I go into a dealership and hear "so which car are you bringing home today"
they gotta make more money off the suckers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't bother looking you probably never will (sorry for the negativity), i thought i had once with a salesman who sold us our first bmw (X5) but when i was buying my f30 from him he just told lie after lie after lie, (he even told me their invoice was 1700 higher than it was) and i caught him in i think every lie thanks to google lol. If your buying a second car from the same salesman try dealing with him through email, it worked beautifully with me. If its the first time you buy a car from him he wont take you seriously through email and will probably ignore you.

they gotta make more money off the suckers
Yea they do. I've learned in business your better off with the bigger picture rather then trying to screw over as many people as you can. But that doesn't seem to be the motivation here. I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and keep my car until it's paid off then lease a second new bmw as my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Had a bad experience going into the dealer as they lied straight to my face, emailed a different dealer told them what i was willing to pay and they agreed. I worked the numbers out and could of got a little better but since they didn't lie and told me straight up the invoice price i agreed to buy the car, never stepped foot into the 2nd dealer.
      12-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea they do. I've learned in business your better off with the bigger picture rather then trying to screw over as many people as you can. But that doesn't seem to be the motivation here. I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and keep my car until it's paid off then lease a second new bmw as my daily driver.
don't give up without even trying... make a couple calls, send a few emails, you never know. My CA is pretty straight forward and (at least seemingly) honest. He's primarily their corporate (fleet) salesman, but fielded my internet request and basically gives me good deals with no hassle. If I get a couple quotes elsewhere, he matches them. He's also been twice the best price on a trade-in, once for me, once for my father-in-law. In fact, we had a year left on a previous lease we traded in on my wife's X3, and he got us enough on a trade to get out of the lease (not so easy to do considering the residual was high), while still getting me just as good a lease price as anywhere else, including other dealers where I never mentioned the trade. It can be done and if the car is worth as much as you're thinking it is (based on the 33k you saw), you surely have options. Just a matter of going in with the facts in mind and knowing that you don't have to do a damn thing. You really have nothing to lose as long as you don't get gaga over an M3 in the showroom or something
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If its the first time you buy a car from him he wont take you seriously through email and will probably ignore you.
Have to disagree with this part. Sometimes that may be, some salesman will assume you're just using them to keep your local salesman honest and may not want to give out prices over the phone/email. But ignore? Not if they actually want to sell cars. They'll at least try and convince you to come into the dealership..

But some will give you a straight up quote and stand by it. In fact, this will be my 4th BMW through 3 different salesmen (due to my moving, not due to any fault of the salesmen) and all 3 started with an internet request. I also bought an Infiniti where I never met the salesman until I picked up the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
I know it's not an 09 but I recently sold my 2011 e90 335 for 39k. It had 9k mile on it. Somewhere I read that kbb charges 12 cents a mile so u can sort of get a mileage estimate.
Appreciate 0