F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you think this would be total loss?
ARMA SPEED

09-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Ok, so Geico sucks. Don't use them.

Read your insurance policy. Mine specifies 100% oem parts and is NOT Geico.

However, BMW approved body shops will only use oem parts. At least in FL.
I'm not sure what you are saying here--OP already has Geico insurance, so for this accident, he can't "not use them". And if his policy doesn't say OEM parts only when he reads it, he can't just go to a shop that only uses OEM parts to circumvent the policy.
I believe I was clear. I suppose OP understands he needs to ask questions before agreeing to an auto insurance policy.

That said, here's what I would do....

Ask Geico for a list of all non oem parts they are specifying. After they send the list ask them to send manufacturer specification sheets (and crash test data) for each part showing that is meets oem specifications. If they cannot provide backup advise them the parts are unacceptable. Let them know you'd be happy to invite the NHTSA into the discussion - if they wish. Explain to them there's no way to determine the car is crash worthy without specification sheets and proof the parts have been crash tested.

BTW, I spoke with a lawyer friend who previously had Geico. He went through the same fiasco with a previous car. He squeezed Geico (using arguments similar to above - and threatening a lawsuit) and Geico caved and approved repair using 100% new and oem parts.

Moral of story - shop for a reputable insurance company that won't specify Chinese parts for your German car.
      09-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #24
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertob View Post
I just have been hit by another driver yesterday from my way from church to my home, the left fender, the front bumper, the hood and the driver's suspension are damaged, I would prefer not to keep this car any more, what do you guys think? The car is inoperable due to suspension damage. Do you think Geico could call a total loss?

[IMG]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...WcxV1NLZ0NOdG8[/IMG]
Is Geico your insurer or is it the other cars/drivers insurer?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #25
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
I believe I was clear. I suppose OP understands he needs to ask questions before agreeing to an auto insurance policy.

That said, here's what I would do....

Ask Geico for a list of all non oem parts they are specifying. After they send the list ask them to send manufacturer specification sheets (and crash test data) for each part showing that is meets oem specifications. If they cannot provide backup advise them the parts are unacceptable. Let them know you'd be happy to invite the NHTSA into the discussion - if they wish. Explain to them there's no way to determine the car is crash worthy without specification sheets and proof the parts have been crash tested.

BTW, I spoke with a lawyer friend who previously had Geico. He went through the same fiasco with a previous car. He squeezed Geico (using arguments similar to above - and threatening a lawsuit) and Geico caved and approved repair using 100% new and oem parts.

Moral of story - shop for a reputable insurance company that won't specify Chinese parts for your German car.
Smell B.S. Aftermarket parts used will usually be authorized from a secondary auto part market that are CAPA certified.

Sure they may not be "OEM" but it's still perfectly suitable and legal under most state auto insurance law. Invite the NHTSA? Yeah, I'm sure they will come out to investigate your individual claim when they have a million other things to do.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      09-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #26
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Ok, so Geico sucks. Don't use them.

Read your insurance policy. Mine specifies 100% oem parts and is NOT Geico.

However, BMW approved body shops will only use oem parts. At least in FL.
Sounds like it depends on your state and insurance policy, not really the body shop. We just had repairs done at a BMW CCRC (in AZ) and had to sign some paperwork saying that we were ok with them using non-OEM parts unless either insurance or we personally were willing to pay extra for OEM. I've heard similar stories from people in other states.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      09-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #27
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntsE90 View Post
Smell B.S. Aftermarket parts used will usually be authorized from a secondary auto part market that are CAPA certified.

Sure they may not be "OEM" but it's still perfectly suitable and legal under most state auto insurance law. Invite the NHTSA? Yeah, I'm sure they will come out to investigate your individual claim when they have a million other things to do.
So you are saying that NHTSA is not your own personal accident investigator?

Last edited by tex2670; 09-05-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
tedfy
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertob View Post
I just have been hit by another driver yesterday from my way from church to my home, the left fender, the front bumper, the hood and the driver's suspension are damaged, I would prefer not to keep this car any more, what do you guys think? The car is inoperable due to suspension damage. Do you think Geico could call a total loss?

[IMG]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...WcxV1NLZ0NOdG8[/IMG]
It's always hard to tell what damage may have happened behind the panels, but on cursory view that does not look like a "total loss" in the least.
A "total" is subject to how your insurance defines the cost of repair compared to the actual value of the car. If the repair cost is more than the value of the car, then of course it would be a total loss as it would not be worth repairing. Sometimes the cost of repair and the value of the car are close but favoring the value being greater than the repair cost, so sometimes the owner/driver will have the choice.
All of this is dependent on your insurance company, and sometimes state law.
These are the times when reading the fine print before choosing an insurance company is vital and extremely important.
State Farm, in Indiana, gives it's customers their choice of repair center and OEM parts, or they can go with one of their "preferred" repair centers.
Also, the 'after repair' warranty is extremely important. It's vital to know if your insurance company will stand behind their preferred repair centers work and not just for 6 months.

Your damage looks quite average and typical in fact.
Why would you prefer not to keep it?

I had a small single car accident about 3 months ago that caused a few thousand dollars damage, but nothing that could be seen on the outside.
I hit a center median curbing and it took out the steering rack and 2 wheels and tires. My 2016 340i Msport was only 7 months old when it happened.
I'm VERY happy to have it back.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-08-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
JoelPirela
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

Geico will only total a car when the damage is 80% of the KBB value of the car
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #31
JoelPirela
Rep

This was a $30,000 job. Covered by Geico in FL.

Believe it or not, the car drives better than new! LOL

Fixed at Lauderdale BMW with all OEM parts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
humbertob131.50
      09-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #32
razzy530
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelPirela View Post
This was a $30,000 job. Covered by Geico in FL.

Believe it or not, the car drives better than new! LOL

Fixed at Lauderdale BMW with all OEM parts.
better than new? Ok

BMWCCA MEMBER 397411
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #33
JoelPirela
Rep

Well, you are right, but I was able to teak the alignment numbers. Pretty much, it is like it never happened... of course 3 months later! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #34
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Don't sweat it too much, until you are trying to sell or trade it and lose a couple thousand cause the carfax report.
Appreciate 0