F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 335i M Performance Exhaust Install DIY (with Exhaust Clips)
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

anyone ever get any gripe from a dealer about installing the exhaust yourself? warranty problems?
11 328i
06 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife
anyone ever get any gripe from a dealer about installing the exhaust yourself? warranty problems?
There is no issue w a factory exhaust.
Even aftermarket isn't that big of a deal. Now an intake is a diff story.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
Nah not my dealer. They have a few M3 come in with some heavy mods on them. One M3 was so low to the ground It was insane and they worked on it like everything else. I didnt want to chance it regardless I stuck with BMW product. Plus in all honesty I dont want anything stupid loud. Im getting older and I prefer suble.

Now a tuner like JB Id be worried about. Better pull that thing off before taking it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
There is no issue w a factory exhaust.
Even aftermarket isn't that big of a deal. Now an intake is a diff story.
I didnt even think an intake would be that big of a deal. I figured tuners, downpipes and such they really frown upon. But every delaler is different.
      03-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #26
Serybmw
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive PPK

Greets from Moscow!

Could you please help me to resolve the issue with the exhaust flap in the left pipe? As far as i understand while installing M Performance exhaust you should remove the flap valve from the standard exhaust and install it into the Performance one, right?

What if not to install it back and instead leave a cover which presumably comes with Performance exhaust, on its place? Will there a be an error sign?

And one more thing. The dealer does not recommend to remove the flap as "it influences the gasoline fillability of the cylinders on low revs and therefore the power will be decreased if the flap is removed". Does it sound reasonable? What do you think?

Thanks!

Last edited by Serybmw; 03-27-2013 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serybmw View Post
Greets from Moscow!

Could you please help me to resolve the issue with the exhaust flap in the left pipe? As far as i understand while installing M Performance exhaust you should remove the flap valve from the standard exhaust and install it into the Performance one, right?

What if not to install it back and instead leave a cover which presumably comes with Performance exhaust, on its place? Will there a be an error sign?

And one more thing. The dealer does not recommend to remove the flap as "it influences the gasoline fillability of the cylinders on low revs and therefore the power will be decreased if the flap is removed". Does it sound reasonable? What do you think?

Thanks!
No the M performance exhaust will come with a new flap and the actuator, so you do not have to reinstall it. It will come with everything your old exhaust had.

If you choose to leave the flap fully open, your best option is to remove the spring between the valve and the actuator and tie it off with wire or use a clamp.
From what I have heard if you simply unplug the valve it won't throw a check engine light, but it will throw a code that the dealer will see.

If you just take the spring out and tie the butterfly valve the actuator still works when plugged in, so there is no change to the behavior of the car. Not sure how why your dealer thinks this affects fuel. There may be something we don't know but all I know is my car is fine after 8,000 miles without that spring in it.
Honestly I believe that that valve is there for droning purposes as the drone and exhaust note does go up if you take the spring out, especially at very low rpms. Once you go full throttle even if that valve is closed without the mod it instantly goes open.

One thing to remember, anytime you put on a higher flowing exhaust on your car, you will always lose a bit on the low end, but gain a ton of power up top. Naturally because your car is flowing much much better.
I've been around performance cars a long time and an internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine no matter make or model.
      03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Serybmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
No the M performance exhaust will come with a new flap and the actuator, so you do not have to reinstall it. It will come with everything your old exhaust had.

If you choose to leave the flap fully open, your best option is to remove the spring between the valve and the actuator and tie it off with wire or use a clamp.
From what I have heard if you simply unplug the valve it won't throw a check engine light, but it will throw a code that the dealer will see.

If you just take the spring out and tie the butterfly valve the actuator still works when plugged in, so there is no change to the behavior of the car. Not sure how why your dealer thinks this affects fuel. There may be something we don't know but all I know is my car is fine after 8,000 miles without that spring in it.
Honestly I believe that that valve is there for droning purposes as the drone and exhaust note does go up if you take the spring out, especially at very low rpms. Once you go full throttle even if that valve is closed without the mod it instantly goes open.

One thing to remember, anytime you put on a higher flowing exhaust on your car, you will always lose a bit on the low end, but gain a ton of power up top. Naturally because your car is flowing much much better.
I've been around performance cars a long time and an internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine no matter make or model.
Thank you for the explanation. The more i consider it the closer i am to the idea to leave the flap as it is and simply install the Performance exhaust. The effect from removing the flap does not seem to be worth going through all that mess with springs and wires.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. The more i consider it the closer i am to the idea to leave the flap as it is and simply install the Performance exhaust. The effect from removing the flap does not seem to be worth going through all that mess with springs and wires.
Yeah it doesn't do much honestly. When in sport mode the exhaust note gets enhanced anyway, I can tell no difference. When in comfort or Eco mode it is a bit louder, but like I said that's when the trans uses all 8 gears and the result is lower rpm and the exhaust drones more @ 1500-1700 rpm then it would @ 2300rpm when you're cruising in sport and only use 6-7 gears.
      03-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #30
Serybmw
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it doesn't do much honestly. When in sport mode the exhaust note gets enhanced anyway, I can tell no difference. When in comfort or Eco mode it is a bit louder, but like I said that's when the trans uses all 8 gears and the result is lower rpm and the exhaust drones more @ 1500-1700 rpm then it would @ 2300rpm when you're cruising in sport and only use 6-7 gears.
Thanx for you help!
Are you considering installment of M Performance power kit?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanx for you help!
Are you considering installment of M Performance power kit?
Yes, I just have to find out how much it is. Any idea?
      03-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
Serybmw
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I just have to find out how much it is. Any idea?
You guys are lucky to have it @ around 1k.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820511

We have to pay more than 2k just for a software code and silly stickers. Oh, i missed the nice engine cover with M Performance logo - that explains the price
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Great job! I just spent 200 on install. Lol. Wish I knew it was this easy.
      04-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #34
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
Great job! I just spent 200 on install. Lol. Wish I knew it was this easy.
Places should be ashamed charging that for (if you have a lift) 30 minutes worth of work. I'd charge like $30-40 to do this in my driveway laying on my back.

Enjoy the exhaust it does sound way nicer then stock.
      04-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #35
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
This is GREAT

Thanks to dd1981 for giving me the inspiration to do this. I installed mine on my 328i. Everything is done exactly as shown here. I'm not mechanically inclined, but got it done in about an hour. I highly recommend using the same type of pipe cutter. It helps you get a straight cut. The only thing I did different was removing the whole bracket that holds the rubber insulators to the frame. I then took them off and transferred them to my new exhaust. I didn't post any pictures because I can't do justice to this DIY. Great job dd1981!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #36
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Question for anyone who has done this DIY. Did you apply a silicon exhaust sealant/paste to the sleeve?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #37
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
Question for anyone who has done this DIY. Did you apply a silicon exhaust sealant/paste to the sleeve?
You don't have to but You can add little for extra sealant. Even if you don't the condensation will pretty much sort of rust it all shut. I never had an issue.
      03-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #38
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport

On the 428i with M Performance.. Do you need to cut that too? Why do you need to cut these things?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #39
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUK View Post
On the 428i with M Performance.. Do you need to cut that too? Why do you need to cut these things?
You have to cut the old muffler off. There is no way around it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #40
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
You have to cut the old muffler off. There is no way around it.
That's fine, as long as that's how BMW intend it to be installed then I'll go with it.

Can anyone tell me if the rear diffuser trims need to be painted? Or do BMW just install these in the matte finish they come in out the box?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #41
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's fine, as long as that's how BMW intend it to be installed then I'll go with it.

Can anyone tell me if the rear diffuser trims need to be painted? Or do BMW just install these in the matte finish they come in out the box?
Yes, if you brought your car to a BMW dealer they would have to do the same thing to install the MPE or replace your existing muffler.

The rear diffuser comes in matte finish. Some people choose to paint it but it is not required.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #42
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, if you brought your car to a BMW dealer they would have to do the same thing to install the MPE or replace your existing muffler.

The rear diffuser comes in matte finish. Some people choose to paint it but it is not required.
Thanks for that. I saw a white 4er with gloss black diffuser but mine is Estoril Blue so gloss black could work.... Don't think the standard grey on the OEM valence would look right on the diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #43
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that. I saw a white 4er with gloss black diffuser but mine is Estoril Blue so gloss black could work.... Don't think the standard grey on the OEM valence would look right on the diffuser?
EB is a beautiful color. I would go with gloss black too. Perhaps get the diffuser vinyl wrapped? That would be cheaper than painting.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #44
VenomUK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
EB is a beautiful color. I would go with gloss black too. Perhaps get the diffuser vinyl wrapped? That would be cheaper than painting.
I've got the MPE sill stickers too which as a solid black on EB so thinking a gloss black or something more sold than that matte effect.

Didn't think about vinyl wrapping.. that's a good shout there
Appreciate 0