F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ALL 2013 3 Series (F30) July Production Changes, including F30 M Sport Price & Detail
ARMA SPEED

05-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #45
N47_Drei
I plan your cities
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

I'm pretty geeked for the "snowflake" delete, and the adding of the "A/C"
I got to say i was holding my breath for that one hahaha.

I guess If go with a xdrive msport pack, I will be doing H&R suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #46
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Let the negotiations begin.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #47
joonix214
Indentured Servant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Silver 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You're not going to be able to update the Nav. It specifically mentions a faster processor.
It does mention "offers faster processing" in the memo to the dealers but I'm not completely sure that this necessarily means a faster "processor". As a software developer, it is well understood that faster processing can definitely be achieve with enhancements to the code in a variety of ways without having to change the processor. This could purely be a software update that reduces unnecessary processes in the code. There is no mention of a faster processor on the BMW website as well.

Quote:
New generation of Navigation system Professional.

The new generation of the Navigation system Professional impresses with its design and a superlative range of services. Innovative interface design makes operating the new generation of BMW navigation systems a sheer pleasure.

Bright illuminated objects that appear to hover against a deep-black background give the user interface of the Navigation system Professional a unique appearance. Sharp contrasts and a crystal clear presentation provide the basis to ensure excellent legibility of all details. All menus unfold in virtual, three-dimensional spaces, creating an impressive effect of depth. The objects appear sculpted, illuminated and animated. And 3D models are available for selected cities.

Hand in hand with the design, performance in the field of navigation has also been extended. Improvements in guidance, route calculation, speech control and traffic information ensure the driver of a comfortable journey. Functions such as ambiguous target input and free-text search compensate as far as possible for imprecise geographical details. And the new generation of the Navigation system Professional also has novel features to offer in the field of entertainment.
And even if it there was a faster processor, the software update could/should be able to be applied to the current model cars to provide the most recent updates.

This happened to me for the 330i e90 as well. There was a huge user interface change for the idrive system when the 335i came out. I went back to the dealer and complained that the system feels sluggish (because it really was since it was an early version of the idrive) and they were kind enough to install the latest update to the system which definitely sped things up.

The new UI updates are definitely more appealing. When I go to order the new F30, I will have to talk with my CA to see if he/she can provide this update for me while I negotiate for this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #48
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
There is no secondary oil cooler on any N20 vehical.
I am talking about the N55. I ran my F30 N20 loaner hard and It didn't get any warmer than 230F.

I just had a 2011 E90 N55 loaner, and it got up to 255F. My N54 with an oil cooler never gets over 240F, even when I push it HARD. And I have the PPK.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonix214 View Post
It does mention "offers faster processing" in the memo to the dealers but I'm not completely sure that this necessarily means a faster "processor". As a software developer, it is well understood that faster processing can definitely be achieve with enhancements to the code in a variety of ways without having to change the processor. This could purely be a software update that reduces unnecessary processes in the code. There is no mention of a faster processor on the BMW website as well.

And even if it there was a faster processor, the software update could/should be able to be applied to the current model cars to provide the most recent updates.

This happened to me for the 330i e90 as well. There was a huge user interface change for the idrive system when the 335i came out. I went back to the dealer and complained that the system feels sluggish (because it really was since it was an early version of the idrive) and they were kind enough to install the latest update to the system which definitely sped things up.

The new UI updates are definitely more appealing. When I go to order the new F30, I will have to talk with my CA to see if he/she can provide this update for me while I negotiate for this vehicle.
I think that is a lot of wishful thinking. Don't you think BMW would have mentioned if it would be retrofitted via a software update? And look what cars they are offering it on. Their highest margin, most technology-driven models. Meaning it will require new hardware. The current-gen iDrive hardware has been around since at least 2009. It was due for a hardware refresh soon anyways.

Your current example of 330i to 335i is right and wrong. They may have offered you a software update that "helped", but they most certainly did not upgrade you from the old iDrive (all silver knob), to the iDrive found in a 2010 335i for example. The magnitude of change that this new 609 iDrive offers is more similar to what happened in the '08->'09 iDrive upgrade.

Notice BMW calls it "New Generation". That typically doesn't mean "software update you can get at your local dealer". That means hardware, and eventually we'll see it on more models in the next 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #50
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Craaaaaap. No 6spd manual with the 328 + xDrive sedan. Makes me VERY nervous that you won't be able to buy a 6spd xDrive touring at all (as the touring does not exist in 335 guise, and they haven't announced which engines they're bringing to the US in the F31.. 328, 320d and 330d for europe).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #51
Kmm
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive-on order

when will the bmw website be updated?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #52
joonix214
Indentured Servant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that is a lot of wishful thinking. Don't you think BMW would have mentioned if it would be retrofitted via a software update? And look what cars they are offering it on. Their highest margin, most technology-driven models. Meaning it will require new hardware. The current-gen iDrive hardware has been around since at least 2009. It was due for a hardware refresh soon anyways.

Your current example of 330i to 335i is right and wrong. They may have offered you a software update that "helped", but they most certainly did not upgrade you from the old iDrive (all silver knob), to the iDrive found in a 2010 335i for example. The magnitude of change that this new 609 iDrive offers is more similar to what happened in the '08->'09 iDrive upgrade.

Notice BMW calls it "New Generation". That typically doesn't mean "software update you can get at your local dealer". That means hardware, and eventually we'll see it on more models in the next 1-2 years.
Yes, great points.

Just to clarify, I did not mention that they gave me the entire overhauled idrive, because I still had the silver knob. Just the software updates that had the new interface and other improvements.

The reason why they could be calling a "new generation" rather than a "software update that you can get at your local dealer" could be because they are releasing a new major version of the software. To give you an example, it's like installing Windows 8 on a PC that is currently running Windows 7. The input methods, display, and all of the hardware is the same, but the look and feel (and of course other features) is different but they still make you pay for it. Microsoft still gives you service pack and patch updates to Windows 7 for free, but they can't give you Windows 8 for free since it's a new major version of the software.

And, looking at the changes (just through pictures since that is all we have to go on right now), it seems as though most of the improvements are software based (UI, enhanced menu structure, weather info on map, POI enrichment, Google autocomplete). Even if there was a "faster processor", I can't see why those updates, which are all software changes, can be applied to the current system.

I can see an entire overhaul of the idrive system coming into play if the interaction method (knob + buttons + display) changed, but currently there is no mention of it except for the button text change from "CD" to "Media".
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #53
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, great points.

Just to clarify, I did not mention that they gave me the entire overhauled idrive, because I still had the silver knob. Just the software updates that had the new interface and other improvements.

The reason why they could be calling a "new generation" rather than a "software update that you can get at your local dealer" could be because they are releasing a new major version of the software. To give you an example, it's like installing Windows 8 on a PC that is currently running Windows 7. The input methods, display, and all of the hardware is the same, but the look and feel (and of course other features) is different but they still make you pay for it. Microsoft still gives you service pack and patch updates to Windows 7 for free, but they can't give you Windows 8 for free since it's a new major version of the software.

And, looking at the changes (just through pictures since that is all we have to go on right now), it seems as though most of the improvements are software based (UI, enhanced menu structure, weather info on map, POI enrichment, Google autocomplete). Even if there was a "faster processor", I can't see why those updates, which are all software changes, can be applied to the current system.

I can see an entire overhaul of the idrive system coming into play if the interaction method (knob + buttons + display) changed, but currently there is no mention of it except for the button text change from "CD" to "Media".
I don't think the example of Windows 7 -> Windows 8 upgrade is a valid one. We are talking about very specific OEM automotive hardware here. It it is not really designed with anything more than minor updates in mind. For the same reasons the 1st gen iPhone can't run iOS 5.1, you're not going to be able upgrade a 2009 335i (or even a 2012 F30) to the new interface announced yesterday.

You can certainly ask you CA about an upgrade, but I would be surprised if he/she was even aware of it. If you really want the next-gen iDrive, your best bet is to wait until 2014MY or even 2016MY for LCI F30 refresh (more likely).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #54
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Well it is a car, not a PC, so the software is designed to run on a given hardware, not a whole range of what people might have.

If there is a faster processor they probably did not bother upgrading that for nothing, and the new system is probably built to use that processor.

They "could" go through the trouble of adapting and re testing it on the previous generation hardware, i'll let you decide how likely that is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #55
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Craaaaaap. No 6spd manual with the 328 + xDrive sedan. Makes me VERY nervous that you won't be able to buy a 6spd xDrive touring at all (as the touring does not exist in 335 guise, and they haven't announced which engines they're bringing to the US in the F31.. 328, 320d and 330d for europe).
Yes. First the steering. Then this. BMW is becoming Audi, unfortunately.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #56
joonix214
Indentured Servant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the example of Windows 7 -> Windows 8 upgrade is a valid one. We are talking about very specific OEM automotive hardware here. It it is not really designed with anything more than minor updates in mind. For the same reasons the 1st gen iPhone can't run iOS 5.1, you're not going to be able upgrade a 2009 335i (or even a 2012 F30) to the new interface announced yesterday.

You can certainly ask you CA about an upgrade, but I would be surprised if he/she was even aware of it. If you really want the next-gen iDrive, your best bet is to wait until 2014MY or even 2016MY for LCI F30 refresh (more likely).
Your example would state that the first generation idrive that came with a car in 2005 can't handle the latest idrive software, which is an extreme example.

The example I should have used is, an iphone 3GS (3rd gen) CAN run iOS5 even with the iphone 4 having a much faster processor and a better display.

All I'm saying is that most of the updates that they mention seem to be software based. Whether there is a faster processor or any other internal hardware change, no one knows. None of the visible hardware (display, knob, buttons) has changed.

Also, I cannot definitively confirm that the dealer would even allow for such an upgrade, but it doesn't hurt to negotiate and talk about, is it? Even if they aren't aware of the update now, in the near future, I'm sure they will have it and will be able to provide us with more information.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #57
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your example would state that the first generation idrive that came with a car in 2005 can't handle the latest idrive software, which is an extreme example.

The example I should have used is, an iphone 3GS (3rd gen) CAN run iOS5 even with the iphone 4 having a much faster processor and a better display.

All I'm saying is that most of the updates that they mention seem to be software based. Whether there is a faster processor or any other internal hardware change, no one knows. None of the visible hardware (display, knob, buttons) has changed.

Also, I cannot definitely confirm that the dealer would even allow for such an upgrade, but it doesn't hurt to negotiate and talk about, is it? Even if they aren't aware of the update now, in the near future, I'm sure they will have it and will be able to provide us with more information.
Let us know how the conversation goes with the dealer. I was just trying to set expectations. In other words, your best bet is to way for MY2014+.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #58
Siebener
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750Li xDrive, 2014 X1 35i

New Colors

Any new exterior/interior colors available for MY 2013?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #59
joonix214
Indentured Servant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how the conversation goes with the dealer. I was just trying to set expectations. In other words, your best bet is to way for MY2014+.
Ah. I see. Yeah, I wouldn't want to keep expectations high and be disappointed. Good Point. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #60
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

I just cant wait to loose my ugly spec bumper and swap it for the m sport model ones
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #61
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebener View Post
Any new exterior/interior colors available for MY 2013?
The release mentions an Orion Silver Metallic (A92), for non-MSport models, and of course, the Estoril Blue II Metallic (B45), for MSport models.
      05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #62
miko_10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmm View Post
when will the bmw website be updated?
this
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #63
jeanchristophele
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
I thought I read somewhere that the M-SPORT will have a M short shifter for the manuals? Or was that for European models?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #64
thatsagoodpoint
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 3

The release mentions an Orion Silver Metallic (A92), for non-MSport models, and of course, the Estoril Blue II Metallic (B45), for MSport models.
=============

Would it be too much to ask for Singapore Grey to come to the 3 Series??
      05-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #65
miracle113
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

what about those xenononononononons as a stand alone
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #66
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Yes. First the steering. Then this. BMW is becoming Audi, unfortunately.
BMW would have to sell roughly 160,000 less cars annually in North America to become Audi.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0