F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

05-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #221
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

did you do the calibration with rheingold? I wouldnt do any troubleshooting until you know they have been both calibrated
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #222
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Edit: I figured out that this problem is the result of the wrong headlight control module. I believe I have one module that is for non-adaptive xenon headlights. Fingers crossed that the European seller (a dismantler I think) works with me and does so quickly... I did specify the correct part in my request.
I didn't have the module for non-adaptive, but it was the first-generation part which was revised/replaced early on, in 2012.

I got a new genuine BMW module, but now the headlight that I put that into does not light up at the rings, and does not do a low-beam motion check on start-up of the light.

I'm looking around at how to possibly "flash the module" or something along those lines, since it's brand new.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #223
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
did you do the calibration with rheingold? I wouldnt do any troubleshooting until you know they have been both calibrated
No I didn't calibrate it. Didn't mougwai see right sensor signal voltages before he calibrated it? Can't I still determine that they are installed correctly without calibrating it but just looking at INPA?

I checked the connections between the ICM plug pins (9,8,36) and ride sensor plug pins (1,4,5) and they were all good (0.5~1.6 ohm). So wiring is good and I am probably going to buy one more sensor and try it out.

Anyways, I couldn't find how to calibrate the sensors on Rheingold. I can only see what problems it has detected and bunch of manuals on how to check physical connections.. If you know anywhere I can find info/instruction on running the calibration with Rheingold, I'd appreciate much.

Rheingold says front sensor voltage is also below 0.5V. Maybe I should unplug the front sensor and see if INPA was falsely detecting the signal voltage of front sensor. next weekend.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #224
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Figured out the problem after even buying another sensor for testing. The pin 8 and 9 was shorted inside the ICM connector. Two socket connectors were somewhat connected by a tiny metal piece latched from one to another. Now all I need is calibration, and I will be completely done with the retrofit!

Even without calibration, the headlight vertical aim malfunction warning disappeared.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #225
rnbguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

cant we just put the xenon housing instead of the halogen housing and somehow wire the parkies to the angel eyes and put in an after market xenon kit?

I know I'm being naive but work with me , more people will go for that if we make it work.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #226
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbguy
cant we just put the xenon housing instead of the halogen housing and somehow wire the parkies to the angel eyes and put in an after market xenon kit?

I know I'm being naive but work with me , more people will go for that if we make it work.
It's probably doable, sure. You can do anything if you put your mind (and in this case, wallet) to it.

I think the problem is that it would likely be just as much wiring and coding work to do that as it is to have the fully functional adaptive retrofit, minus leveling.

No one is concerned about more people "going for it," this is a DIY after all.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #227
rnbguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Thanks for the reply. I've put aftermarket xenon and one eighty angel eyes with minimal wiring - literally 6 wires all done in head light compartment and no coding.

Only problem is I had cut open halogen light housing which was anoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #228
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
Figured out the problem after even buying another sensor for testing. The pin 8 and 9 was shorted inside the ICM connector. Two socket connectors were somewhat connected by a tiny metal piece latched from one to another. Now all I need is calibration, and I will be completely done with the retrofit!

Even without calibration, the headlight vertical aim malfunction warning disappeared.
Awesome! once you calibrate and confirm the autoleveling works, can you post in the US DIY forum about your success?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #229
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

I figured I'd ask this forum this since it hasn't been talk about in the 2 series yet and the retrofit has already occurred over here. I found these

http://www.autowin.eu/en/product/bmw...e-original-oem

And wanted to know what all I would need to do to get them to work? Same as already took place with the 3 series? I wrote the company and they said I wouldn't need to do anything but plug in and code. Doesn't sound right after ready what you all have gone through. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #230
Ochoa1801
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2103 Bmw 328i xdrive

Interior white led lights

Hello

I have F30 2013 and it have yellow led lights. How know if I can change this white led lights

It's 328 x drive 2013

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #231
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
Awesome! once you calibrate and confirm the autoleveling works, can you post in the US DIY forum about your success?
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to go to service again and I sold my car. All I can say is I could set C_FLC_ENA = F030enable without any error.

One thing I noticed while I was putting back halogen lights, the wire goes into A173*3B pin 53 on FEM was not connected which I had wiretapped. The dealer must've touched it when they found an issue with EPS in the past. That might have been a reason why I couldn't initialize the sensors with my own ISTA-ebay version, but I never know.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #232
serbdogg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sport

Quote:
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to go to service again and I sold my car. All I can say is I could set C_FLC_ENA = F030enable without any error.

One thing I noticed while I was putting back halogen lights, the wire goes into A173*3B pin 53 on FEM was not connected which I had wiretapped. The dealer must've touched it when they found an issue with EPS in the past. That might have been a reason why I couldn't initialize the sensors with my own ISTA-ebay version, but I never know.
Why do you guys return to halogen headlights before selling the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #233
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbdogg View Post
Why do you guys return to halogen headlights before selling the car?
Because I traded it in at the dealership. They see 0 money value of components that are not list in the VIN search. For example, if you install an M performance exhaust after you bought the car, when you sell it to the dealer you don't get any money return from it. Lesson: keep all your original parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #234
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
OK guys, I need some help!!! First off, let me just say I greatly underestimated the difficulty of this retrofit and it was truly a PITA for my dad and I.

Let me start off with coding trouble shooting (see attached image below)... On step 44 in the coding part of the instructions, I was able to find "C_FLC_ENA", "C_AFS_ENA", "C_CLC_ENA", "C_BLC_ENA" in section 3073 of the FEM_BODY... I only needed to change "C_FLC_ENA" to disable the leveling sensor, the other (3) settings already had the correct values. HOWEVER, I was not able to find "LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03"... Can anybody chime in and tell me where to find this setting?

Next thing... Like I said, all the lights light up after wiring, so I started coding. When I was finished coding (with the exception of the missing setting), the car was still on, I still had the "Left High Beam Malfunction", "Right High Beam Malfunction", and "Parking Lamp Malfunction" error codes. I tested the lights out by turning the steering wheel in both directions; the headlights did not swivel, but the fog lamps would light up when I turned the steering wheel. I figured it was the missing code (that's what I'm hoping).

HOWEVER, I turned off the car to get all my supplies out of my dad's house and go back home. When I got back in the car to leave, I turned on the car and had no error codes at all. I tested the lights again, only to find that the headlights swivel to the right when I turn the wheel, but they do not swivel to the left when I turn the wheel (fog lights did not light up either).

Also, I did not install the level sensors, but I noticed when I turn the car on at night, the lights still sweep down and back up. I guess it just goes back to it's original position and doesn't actually level itself?

EDIT: So after another night time test, I've discovered that when I turn on the car, the right (passenger) headlight will sweep down and back up and point straight forward. However, the left (driver) headlight will automatically swivel to the left and stay in that position upon start up. When I turn the wheel to the left, nothing happens, both lights stay in the same position. When I turn the wheel to the right, the left (driver) headlight will swivel to the center (I'm pretty sure it only makes it to the center), while the right (passenger) headlight (which is already straight forward) will swivel to the right as it's supposed to...
Attached Images

Last edited by QuikSilver_; 09-16-2015 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #235
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
OK guys, I need some help!!! First off, let me just say I greatly underestimated the difficulty of this retrofit and it was truly a PITA for my dad and I.

Let me start off with coding trouble shooting (see attached image below)... On step 44 in the coding part of the instructions, I was able to find "C_FLC_ENA", "C_AFS_ENA", "C_CLC_ENA", "C_BLC_ENA" in section 3073 of the FEM_BODY... I only needed to change "C_FLC_ENA" to disable the leveling sensor, the other (3) settings already had the correct values. HOWEVER, I was not able to find "LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03"... Can anybody chime in and tell me where to find this setting?

Next thing... Like I said, all the lights light up after wiring, so I started coding. When I was finished coding (with the exception of the missing setting), the car was still on, I still had the "Left High Beam Malfunction", "Right High Beam Malfunction", and "Parking Lamp Malfunction" error codes. I tested the lights out by turning the steering wheel in both directions; the headlights did not swivel, but the fog lamps would light up when I turned the steering wheel. I figured it was the missing code (that's what I'm hoping).

HOWEVER, I turned off the car to get all my supplies out of my dad's house and go back home. When I got back in the car to leave, I turned on the car and had no error codes at all. I tested the lights again, only to find that the headlights swivel to the right when I turn the wheel, but they do not swivel to the left when I turn the wheel (fog lights did not light up either).

Also, I did not install the level sensors, but I noticed when I turn the car on at night, the lights still sweep down and back up. I guess it just goes back to it's original position and doesn't actually level itself?

EDIT: So after another night time test, I've discovered that when I turn on the car, the right (passenger) headlight will sweep down and back up and point straight forward. However, the left (driver) headlight will automatically swivel to the left and stay in that position upon start up. When I turn the wheel to the left, nothing happens, both lights stay in the same position. When I turn the wheel to the right, the left (driver) headlight will swivel to the center (I'm pretty sure it only makes it to the center), while the right (passenger) headlight (which is already straight forward) will swivel to the right as it's supposed to...
Have you tried searching for the code using search box, while the cursor is on the top of the tree? I can't check because I don't have the car anymore, but I remember seeing the code. Also, it's feasible that wiring for left headlight was not done correct. Also check if pins are in right position as well as if two pins next to each other are not shorting.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #236
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you tried searching for the code using search box, while the cursor is on the top of the tree? I can't check because I don't have the car anymore, but I remember seeing the code. Also, it's feasible that wiring for left headlight was not done correct. Also check if pins are in right position as well as if two pins next to each other are not shorting.
I didn't know there was a search box in E-Sys, guess I never really looked around. Hmm, I'll have to check that out first. Also, is it possible to disable the cornering lights so that the fog lights don't light up when I turn the wheel? It's a nifty feature, but I don't like it aesthetically.
      09-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #237
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Update: I finally found the coding I was looking for, but it was already at the correct value, so coding is done, meaning it must be faulty wiring. I'll have to get back in the FEM module when I get a chance.

Question: Until I can get back in the FEM module and double check the wiring, does anyone know if it would be possible to temporarily remove 524 (adaptive) from the VO, so that the low beams will stay fixed in the forward position? I just hate driving around at night with my left headlight pointed left onto other drivers.

Also... this morning during my commute to work, I was entering the highway in Sport Mode with the gear selector in D. After the car reached 7th gear (assuming) and I was at cruising speed, I noticed the RPM's jump back up, so I looked down at the information display and it said the gear was in M6, even though the shifter wasn't in Manual/Sport mode... it stayed like that for a second or two, and then it reverted back to "D" and shifted back into 7th gear. Does the FEM module wiring have anything to do with the Steptronic transmission??
      11-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #238
happytreefriend
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 2015

F25 Bi-xenon conversion

I'm attempting the halogen to LCI bi-xenon conversion on my F25 X3 according the instructions given here, since the pinout for the bi-Xenon seems to be the same as in your case (Pins 1-8 in Bi-Xenon socket).

I'm testing the inputs (with 12V voltage source) before the headlights installation and having one particular problem:

Pin1) Blinker/Side Marker -OK
Pin2) GND-Ground- OK
Pin3) Low/High Beam-OK, lamp on and stable
Pin4) GND-Ground- OK
Pin5) ???? do not work (nothing really happening there)
Pin 6) Shutter for High beam-OK
pin 7) Suppose this will be the next GND pin
pin 8) ???? do not work

I bought the complete headlights (all units in) and according the first look, everything seem to be OEM, more-less new and should work. My Problem is that i cannot activate the LED Halos/ Engel eyes by coonecting the voltage to one of the free pins in the bi-Xenon socket. Is it only the combination of one particular pin and the ground pin, or there is Pin combination needed to activate them?

Thank you in advance for help
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #239
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
To anyone that completed this retrofit, have you had any issues with the automatic transmission/gear selector switching driving modes ("D", "M", "S") by itself?
      02-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #240
Lebindor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW-F30-328i

Nice retrfit
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #241
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

Need Help after retrofit

Hello, I just made an Xenon retrofit to my 2012.04 F30. It had halogen lights and now I just installed Xenon.
Everything is OK, exccept the fact that the angel eyes stays on for about 3-5 minutes after I lock the car.
Coded FEM with 522, without 524, changed AHL_Type to ohne. No errors, lights are working OK, but the only problem is that with the angel eyes.
I don't know if it is a coding problem, or wiring, but I hope someone can help me with this. I don't think it is normal that the angel eyes to stay on for such a long time after I lock the car.

Thank you, and hope you can help me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #242
alihanoglu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNi View Post
Hi there guys, I just bought my self a 2012 F30 BMW 320d M sport in AW which has already got the dynamic xenons, however i was originally planing to get one with halogen and do a full write up DIY of how to do the conversion.

Seen as i don't have access to a F30 without xenons i decided to post up this retrofit for the wiring and pin locations.

After looking at the diagrams for both Halogens and Xenons the good news is that only 4 wires need to be moved in total and 4 new ground wires need to be added into the headlight plugs to get the xenons to work (without the auto level sensors)

This 1st picture shows my notes for the difference between the pinouts for Xenons vs Halogen headlights, as you can see i have marked No 1 -3 & 5 in green as they stay the same and dont need to be moved.

As you can see above on the left of each box it shows Pin 1-12, these are the pins on the headlight connectors, and on the right it shows what pin they are and then in brackets which connector they are located in, the next 2 pictures are to help you pinpoint these connectors out.

Now to simplify things further all you have to do is add 2 new pins on each of the headlight connectors in pin no 7 and 4 and bridge/join this new cable to either pin2 as all three of them are all ground cables and join together.

There is no other work that needs doing on the headlight connectors as it is easiest to move the other wires on the FEM module, pins 9-12 on the headlights will no loger be used but can stay as they are as the new xenon headlight will have no pins in those places so they will not cause any troubles, also if you do decide to ever put your original halogens back these wires will be untouched.

Next you need to move some wires in you FEM Module

Move pin 26 from connector A173*2B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 34 from connector A173*3B to ---> pin 41 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 49 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*4B
Move pin 37 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 54 in connector A173*4B

Once you have done this you can wire in Level sensors (I will be posting wiring diagrams for this over the next couple of days) or you can leave them out and possibly do some custom coding to manually adjust the headlights.

I don't have a car available to do the coding so either i will try to post that part once i have done it or hopefully someone else will try and to do the retrofit and post it up, I can however help with the coding and possibly do a tutorial if someone is willing to code their car and send me their files and i can modify them and send them back and check if everything will be working properly.

Below i will be putting some pics up of the wiring diagrams just in case someone wants to have a look at them

DoNi

i cant see the photos
Appreciate 1