F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > I love my GT !
GetBMWParts

06-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Marty123
Rep
Drives: 320D GT Motorpsort

I love my GT !

We are now around 4 months and 2500 mile in with our new GT. I just love this car which brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. I can’t understand the hate it brings out in some people. I can safely say if the GT didn’t exist I would never have bought a BMW. Having spent the last 9 years in large 4x4s we decided we wanted something a bit more frugal, with space which still met our needs. We didn’t want an estate (station wagon) or a saloon but wanted the flexibility to carry and move larger objects and needed the space for our camping trips. There were two cars in the running, the Audi A5 Sportback or the 3GT. The 3GT won hands down, more space in the car overall, copious amounts of rear seat room (we can fit 3 comfortably across the back seat, good luck with that in the A5 Sportback!) and a large boot (trunk). After much searching, partly caused by how quickly 3GTs were moving through our local dealer (3 we were interested in sold within a week) we found a delivery miles only pre reg at a very good price in a well-known central London dealership with the spec we were looking for (320D MSport line, MSport Plus pack, auto box, Professional Nav, heated front seats, folding wing mirrors, Mineral Grey paint and service package).
We were unable to test drive the GT because we couldn’t find a demo (yes I know certainly not ideal before anyone makes a comment) and I have to admit having read through various posts on the wider forum I was very concerned about the stiffness of the suspension and the impact of the RFTs, that said in all honesty I shouldn’t have worried as the ride is nowhere near as harsh as some have said.
Initially I was disappointed with the performance of the 320D but I can now say that as the miles have gone on the engine has loosened up and its now delivering what I was hoping for. The same can be said for the HK system, I was expecting so much more but as it has loosened it is now delivering what I expected.
Now the things I love about this car. The auto gearbox is excellent, super low VED of £30, excellent fuel economy, the HK sound system, the space available in this car, the 598 wheels (they have got to be the best looking wheels fitted to any BMW (IMHO), I could go on and on.
There are however a few things that aren’t so good, these are mainly annoyances though. Why oh why can BMW not set the auto door locking so that the doors unlock when the car is put in park ? Other manufacturers do this and it is so much easier than remembering to either unlock the doors centrally or turn the engine off (especially when passengers don’t know two pulls are required to open a locked door). Auto windscreen wipers should be what they say they are, why do we have to switch these on every time? (I know there have been other threads on this but other manufacturers have their auto wipers set to come on when they detect rain without issue). Lastly the engine can be very harsh especially when cold but this reduces when the engines warms up or when cruising but I guess this is one of the limitations of a 4 cylinder diesel engine at the end of the day.
Now the looks of the GT, probably the most contentious issue about this car. Personally I love them especially in the MSport line in darker colours with 598 wheels that fill out the arches perfectly (basically my car!). There are certain angles where it doesn’t look so great but the overall usefulness of the car overshadows these by far. As is said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Lastly I will say that the GT is still one of the rarer BMW line up seen on the roads in the UK (although I have seen a fair few locally) because of this the car still gets admiring views and people asking what it is. The rear seat and boot space surprises everyone who looks at it with some even mistaking the 3GT for a 5 series because of the longer wheelbase.
I could go on but this post is long enough already.
No doubt the haters will have their say, my reply to them is each to their own, we all have different requirements out of a car at the end of the day, yours belong to you and mine belong to me.
Appreciate 4
      06-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Congratulations and welcome to the GT club.

It's a fine car as you have said. I pay no mind to people and their views about the car.
Happy to hear that you love yours.
      06-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Thanks for your review. Very timely. Seriously looking at the 3GT to replace our F25 X3 30d (our first BMW) after 5 great years. Just waiting for Australian specs and pricing for the LCI 2017 models which - so I'm told - should be appearing this week.

I don't pay to much attention to the knockers of the 3GT - after all - if I had listened to them 5 years ago I wouldn't have got the X3.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty123 View Post
I can safely say if the GT didn’t exist I would never have bought a BMW.
Same here. To tell the truth I don't know what I might have settled for if not for the GT, as nothing else has its combination of features other than the Panamera, at twice the price. I could afford the Porsche, but was glad that I didn't have to.

Quote:
Why oh why can BMW not set the auto door locking so that the doors unlock when the car is put in park?
Because you may not want them unlocked just because you're in park. It's a judgement call.
Quote:
Auto windscreen wipers should be what they say they are, why do we have to switch these on every time? (I know there have been other threads on this but other manufacturers have their auto wipers set to come on when they detect rain without issue).
Can they tell the difference between rain and a car wash?
These are minor concerns, too minor to take away from the overall result.
Appreciate 3
      06-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Canuck68
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328 GT

I'm 3 weeks in to my 328 GT and I have the exact same feedback as the OP. It's the perfect car for me (and my 3 kids - lol). Bike rack on top, golf clubs in the trunk (I'm in Canada) and still tons of room for other things. Same coment as above - this car brought me to the BMW lineup. For me, however, it was between the GT and the A4 Allroad. The GT was WAY more spacious inside and has a much sportier feel so, it wasn't that hard of a decision. Yesterday I met a colleague for lunch and he couldn't stop raving about how much he liked the GT and how it will definitely be his next vehicle. My only regret with the car is that I wish it had Apple Car Play (which is coming in the '17's) and I do find the door locking nuance a little hard to get used too. Like Billfitz said above, minor concerns at best.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty123 View Post
Why oh why can BMW not set the auto door locking so that the doors unlock when the car is put in park ? Other manufacturers do this and it is so much easier than remembering to either unlock the doors centrally or turn the engine off (especially when passengers don’t know two pulls are required to open a locked door)
This as well a host of other things can be coded. You can code the doors to unlock after engine is turned off.

Edit: Sorry i mis read your post - i thought you meant when engine was off. Just realized you meant when the car is put in park.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
Dubsilk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240 6MT

I appreciated the review. I am so excited to pick up my black beauty in the morning. My first BMW....

My recent trip to Europe (Italy) reaffirmed my desire for a "touring" type vehicle. I never really realized how slim the pickings were until I starting looking - Outback, Allroad, BMW, Volvo and VW. I picked the GT over the F31 because of the room in the backseat - 4yo with a baby on the way.

I plan to get some coding done.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubsilk View Post
I appreciated the review. I am so excited to pick up my black beauty in the morning. My first BMW....

My recent trip to Europe (Italy) reaffirmed my desire for a "touring" type vehicle. I never really realized how slim the pickings were until I starting looking - Outback, Allroad, BMW, Volvo and VW. I picked the GT over the F31 because of the room in the backseat - 4yo with a baby on the way.

I plan to get some coding done.
Glad you understand the concept of this vehicle.

Where is AR?
      06-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Dubsilk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240 6MT

I moved from NYC to Arkansas (USA). Driving down to Dallas to get the car. Feel like a kid on Christmas eve.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 03:03 AM   #10
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok enjoy.