F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Chassis Dynamics doc
ARMA SPEED

12-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
ropaul
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

F30 Chassis Dynamics doc

In case anyone's interested (sorry if it's already been posted), found a link in the other forum to BMW's technical/training documentation on F30 Chassis Dynamics. Might answer some common questions about Adaptive M Suspension, VSS, & DSC/DTC.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I wish we could configure comfort mode to have sport steering. I feel there is no reason to have lazy steering in these cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
I wish we could configure comfort mode to have sport steering. I feel there is no reason to have lazy steering in these cars.
Why not just configure the Sport Mode to Comfort suspension.. ie, EDC in comfort.. The Sport+ becomes your sport mode for the more aggressive / firm stuff.
      12-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
ropaul
Rep

Such an idiot, didn't see this posted above as a Sticky (all known Training documents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
Why not just configure the Sport Mode to Comfort suspension.. ie, EDC in comfort.. The Sport+ becomes your sport mode for the more aggressive / firm stuff.
The goal would be to be able to choose Sport steering independent of suspension setting (assuming Adaptive M Suspension).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropaul View Post

The goal would be to be able to choose Sport steering independent of suspension setting (assuming Adaptive M Suspension).
Not to parse and pick flysh1t out of pepper, and not getting into the drivetrain mapping, I find that the steering (and suspension) combos are handled nicely if you pick the checkbox (assuming Adaptive M Suspension)

Comfort Steering + Comfort Suspension > Comfort Mode
Sport Steering + Comfort Suspension > Sport Mode
Sport Steering + Sport Suspension > Sport + Mode
      12-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
ropaul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
Not to parse and pick flysh1t out of pepper, and not getting into the drivetrain mapping, I find that the steering (and suspension) combos are handled nicely if you pick the checkbox (assuming Adaptive M Suspension)

Comfort Steering + Comfort Suspension > Comfort Mode
Sport Steering + Comfort Suspension > Sport Mode
Sport Steering + Sport Suspension > Sport + Mode
Problem is that I can't choose Sport Steering separately from the suspension; choices (for me) are only Chassis (Steering & Suspension) and Drivetrain.

Are you saying there's a separate checkbox just for Steering (and not Chassis/Suspension) when configuring your Sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropaul View Post
Problem is that I can't choose Sport Steering separately from the suspension; choices (for me) are only Chassis (Steering & Suspension) and Drivetrain.

Are you saying there's a separate checkbox just for Steering (and not Chassis/Suspension) when configuring your Sport mode?
I was saying that.. but I just checked, and I was wrong..

I see that I set mine up for the Drivetrain only mapping in sport, so the steering is still the default.

In thinking why they would group Chassis as the steering and suspension together, it does make sense tho. If you tighten up the steering and leave the suspension "softer", you could run into some not so good induced oscillation issues under certain inputs whether by the operator or the road. Better they get figured out by a bunch of engineers and compromised accordingly to give the best window of operation overall.
      12-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Personally I find the Sport mode throttle too sensitive and twitchy so I wish I could just put the drivetrain in normal but keep the faster steering and louder exahust.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
Personally I find the Sport mode throttle too sensitive and twitchy so I wish I could just put the drivetrain in normal but keep the faster steering and louder exahust.
In that case, just pick chassis only for Sport Mode.
The Exhaust (of course) goes with the Drivetrain tho.