F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > ONEighty | OE-S F30 LED Headlight Upgrade for Halogen & Xenon (UPDATED 11/6)
GetBMWParts

10-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #89
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F320i

OneEighty any updates. The customers who bought the headlight any news or updates?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #90
neckthrough
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i, 350z

Questions for ONEighty:

1). What's the deal with the mis-aligned hood line in the comparison pictures vs. the F8x? There's a gaping separation. Is the hood not fully shut in the pictures? Or is the structure of the fixture such that it's impossible to close the hood fully after installation? Or did someone screw up the installation and warp the hood?

2). Could you please shed some light (pun intended) on the uniformity and coverage of the beam spread? There have been some concerns raised over this.

3). Have you have done extensive testing on flicker and coding?

I'm happy to pay a premium for a product sourced through a US-based intermediary, but that premium has to count for some additional value such as testing and quality assurance. I need to know that the unit I receive will work 100% with a proper beam spread, zero flicker and without short- or long-term issues related to coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #91
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Everyone needs to calm down. The post was done 9/28/15 and it's not even been one full month since they announced the product. One Eighty clearly stated the delivery would be one month after payment. It's been ALMOST one full month. I'm sure within the next month, people will receive the headlights and find the time on a Saturday morning to get them installed on their car. The job takes roughly 4-5 hours minimum to install, so people will need to schedule it into their calendar...

There will be photos soon from fellow forum members, and they will be glorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckthrough View Post
Questions for ONEighty:

1). What's the deal with the mis-aligned hood line in the comparison pictures vs. the F8x? There's a gaping separation. Is the hood not fully shut in the pictures? Or is the structure of the fixture such that it's impossible to close the hood fully after installation? Or did someone screw up the installation and warp the hood?

2). Could you please shed some light (pun intended) on the uniformity and coverage of the beam spread? There have been some concerns raised over this.

I'm happy to pay a premium for a product sourced through a US-based intermediary, but that premium has to count for some additional value such as testing and quality assurance. I need to know that the unit I receive will work 100% with a proper beam spread, zero flicker and without short- or long-term issues related to coding.
I'm sure the hood line is installation error. Plenty of us with the Eagle Eye headlights had the same issue when installing the new housings. BMW did not make it very easy to mount the headlights perfectly. If they're installed even aiming slightly downward, the front bumper is that much lower when reinstalled back onto the car. That's what causes the gap. It's user error, not the design/shape of the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #92
neckthrough
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarScaryFrosty View Post
I'm sure the hood line is installation error. Plenty of us with the Eagle Eye headlights had the same issue when installing the new housings. BMW did not make it very easy to mount the headlights perfectly. If they're installed even aiming slightly downward, the front bumper is that much lower when reinstalled back onto the car. That's what causes the gap. It's user error, not the design/shape of the headlight.
Thanks. The installation must be quite tricky. If ONEighty itself is unable to perform a proper installation on the car that's on the front page of their promotional campaign, I wonder what the success rate will be for potentially less-experienced local installers other forum members will have to use.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #93
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks. The installation must be quite tricky. If ONEighty itself is unable to perform a proper installation on the car that's on the front page of their promotional campaign, I wonder what the success rate will be for potentially less-experienced local installers other forum members will have to use.
It's not that they're incapable, it's almost impossible to tell if you've got the headlights installed properly until you literally put the bumper back on. It's just so much work to find out if you did the job right or not. There are people who've done the xenon retrofit themselves with the same hoodline gap issues.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #94
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep

Subbed to keep it on page 1
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #95
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Sorry for leaving you guys hanging, SEMA was just around the corner a few weeks back and we were extremely busy finishing up projects for shops and customers in attendance.

It wasn't easy finding a location to perform the Light Output Comparison Test that allowed us to place the vehicle at the required distance to achieve accurate results. Especially wasn't easy finding the time to do it at night, considering the mayhem October brings, but we finally got it done.

Quote:
Questions for ONEighty:

The install was rushed because the acquaintance who allowed us to perform the install was in a hurry, the job was performed in literally 20 minutes. As mentioned, a proper installation does take some experience and we've had issues at first till we figured out the only way of doing it.

We will gladly do a write up with photos and illustrations detailing the removal and installation procedure of the headlamps.

Quote:
Done and updated at the bottom of the original post.

Quote:

There is zero flicker, and coding is not needed. Each set of lights will be individually powered and tested to insure that each function performs as intended, and that no electrical shorts or failures are present.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #96
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep

Nice work and great pictures. Thanks a bunch. Any recommendations for installers in the DMV area if I place an order?

Are the lights currently in stock?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #97
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Thanks for the updated photos. I see that the low beam has more light output than the OEM.

I am afraid this is way too much. OEMs light output is really LOW and the upper part is dark but OE-S LED is also very bright on the upper part.
I think this setting will blind the oncoming traffic and this is a no go.

I am interested in this lights and a positive confirmation about this issue is necessary to buy them.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #98
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatB View Post
Thanks for the updated photos. I see that the low beam has more light output than the OEM.

I am afraid this is way too much. OEMs light output is really LOW and the upper part is dark but OE-S LED is also very bright on the upper part.
I think this setting will blind the oncoming traffic and this is a no go.

I am interested in this lights and a positive confirmation about this issue is necessary to buy them.
BMW Lights are angled so low typically, I can't imagine blinding would be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #99
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

It looks like the OEM are more focused, the OE-S' seem to me, based on personal experience, that it's just an LED bulb in a halogen reflector. Those bulbs threw a fair amount of glare and that's what these look like to me. But, that's still not going to stop me from getting them, anything is better than these halogen lights
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #100
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

I guess I'm curious if these are built similar to the OEM LED lights? I believe I read that the OEM LED lights have an array in each headlight. 9 LEDs I believe per headlight? Are these just a single LED bulb for each low beam and for each high beam per headlight or are there in fact multiple LEDs per low beam and high beam per headlight similar to the OEM array in each headlight?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #101
dnjc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Diesel :)

Thanks for the pics. You can definitely tell that the cut-off on the OE-S is not as sharp and defined as the OEM. The light output appears to be brighter.

I'm curious to hear about a more detailed review of the parts but from initial looks, it shouldn't be surprising that aftermarket headlights may cheap out in certain areas. Light cut-off in HIDs and LEDs is one of the most important indicators I look for in terms of quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #102
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I guess the bmw style led headlight fixture has now been around long enough so that companies were able to copy it to a certain extent. I see many 5,6, x5, 7 series all with leds now and i can kind of see how popular/mainstream the led lights have become. I think its the best looking aftermarket headlight offered so far even if the cutoff does seem to less defined than the oem head lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #103
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #104
Hawkeye10
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

I got my lights installed yesterday at a shop in the bay area. They had no problems getting these installed in a few hours and let me tell you they look spot on. There are no error codes being flashed and these work flawlessly thus far. I'm so glad I jumped on these I've already noticed my car has turned into a head turner. Thanks Igor and everyone at Oneighty
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #105
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
I got my lights installed yesterday at a shop in the bay area. They had no problems getting these installed in a few hours and let me tell you they look spot on. There are no error codes being flashed and these work flawlessly thus far. I'm so glad I jumped on these I've already noticed my car has turned into a head turner. Thanks Igor and everyone at Oneighty
Thanks for the review! I was beginning to think nobody was buying these headlights. If you could take some pictures and review how well they light up the road at night time that would help other people who are still uncertaon about halogen aftermarket mod tremendously.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #106
bowman
Rep
Drives: x1 m35i

I have a set on order and anxiously awaiting arrival. Still waiting on tracking info from overseas. Planning on DIY install.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #107
dnjc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Diesel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
Thanks for the review! I was beginning to think nobody was buying these headlights. If you could take some pictures and review how well they light up the road at night time that would help other people who are still uncertaon about halogen aftermarket mod tremendously.
Yes - I would love to see some close-up pics of the cut-off and light output if possible
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #108
neckthrough
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnjc View Post
Yes - I would love to see some close-up pics of the cut-off and light output if possible
As well as the quality of the fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #109
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
Love to see some pics Hawkeye.... I got a shop in BA that can do that work but I am still holding off on pulling the trigger on a set...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #110
Hawkeye10
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

I plan on posting some pics and maybe a video but I'm on a two week vacation right now for the holidays.
Appreciate 1