F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any issues with driving in Sport mode all the time?
GetBMWParts

08-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

There was a review in this week's Autoweek (not a BMW) and the reviewer suggested immediately switching to sport mode after starting the car and keeping it there. I don't see any damage from driving in sport mode all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #24
bimmer456
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

I drive in sport and sport + all the time, no problem. The computer only prevents using sport when you have low tire pressure, but doesn't limit your speed.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2017, 07:33 PM   #25
GPM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I drive in sport and sport + all the time, no problem. The computer only prevents using sport when you have low tire pressure, but doesn't limit your speed.
If that's true, and I have no reason to believe its not, its pretty funny. A low tire will prevent quicker shifts but will still let you go 150 mph.
      08-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #26
nozydog
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 340-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golo2016 View Post
Why is that?
Because in eco pro mode throttle response is non existent and in comfort it's still poor! Steering is also over light in anything other than Sport/sport+... I cannot drive my car in anything less than Sport mode as enjoyment is diminished.

In heavy traffic I may switch to comfort so auto stop/start is engaged (it's off in sport mode) but other than that it's just too dull a drive (eco pro is in my opinion totally pointless)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #27
nozydog
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 340-6MT

Just my opinion, but BMW really should scrap EP mode and retain the other modes, but Sport should be the default mode as these cars are marketed as the ultimate sports sedans aren't they??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #28
GPM
Private First Class
Rep

For those who have owned BMWs prior to the introduction of computer controlled drive mode sissy1 and sissy2, you'll likely recall there was no option. And back when BMW was really the Ultimate Driving Machine, the default option was certainly not anything called Comfort or Eco whatever.

Going back to the 1500 and 1600 in the mid '60s and later the 2002 and 2002tii in the '70's BMWs fours were designed to drive. The 6 cylinder engine was introduced in the early '30s and continues to this day. It has always been a performance engine.

So, given the development of engine materials and technology, I would venture a guess that driving in Sport or Sport + mode will not do any damage to your engine.

Just my opinion, I could of course, be wrong.
      08-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #29
Kafkaesque328
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

If it did, it is unlikely you would own the car long enough to know if it did or not. Statistically, most drivers of late model BMW lease. I believe its a 65% take rate, or more. So the guys who lease couldn't care less. The rest buy and likely get a different car at a median 5 year mark. A handful of guys are brave, devoted enough and lack car ADD to the point that they keep the car up to a decade. So it basically doesn't matter and you shouldn't worry about such things. I mean, realistically, how many guys with say, 2014 328i will have that 328i in 2024?? Hahaha. 2024 and you are rolling in your F30 from a decade ago? A decade is a long, long time to have the same car, let alone some over engineered german sub lux car that loves to break expensively. The rate with which automotive technology is advancing and you really think you are going to have your F30 10 years from now and wondering if the auto stop start or sport mode 'hurt the car'? No. You won't.

I must be the only one who likes comfort mode. I agree about ecopro and rarely use it, since it nets you about 5 more miles per tank of fuel, its basically a total joke and is in my opinion borderline dangerous due to numbed down throttle. I have the 8spd auto and I like comfort much of the time. No issues with it. Smooth as mule's lips. I use sport or sport+ on windy roads or onramp blasts or whatever. But I'm not the ultimate badass of the car forums either so, who knows. If you had an automatic and drove in sport all the time, that would just be annoying. If I had a manual, I might do that just for the more sensitive throttle but I'm not a big fan of the fake, artificially heavy EPS.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
insanecoder
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Im not a fan of EcoPro's numbness either and I too think its dangerous when you need instant throttle but thats usually not on my country roads but in lane changing freeways..
EP and gentle driving warms the car enough to get me to the freeway where it goes to sport
and no colder than operating oil conditions offers less protection for the engine I dont think I need to explain this further
but of course i intend to keep this car for several hundred thousand miles so I understand most of you leasers dont give a damn..
also a reason I wont buy used bimmers
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #31
BEAR-AvHistory
2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP
Rep
Drives: 2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP

The other side of the coin is that most all of the cold start wear takes place before the starter even disengages from the flywheel.

Once the car is started from dead cold it raises it own idle RPM to force oil through the system & warm the engine. The oil pump is engine driven & low engine speed causes low oil pressure because the pump is turning slowly.

Watch any car with an oil pressure gauge when the engine is slow vs moderate engine speed. Even with a high pressure oil pump my car which normally runs at 90psi with drop to 25psi at a traffic light

Low oil pressure more potential for additional wear. Running is a lower gear Sport or Sport+ keeps the oil pressure up, warms the oil quicker & does no harm.

Personally I limit RPM to 3500 till the oil temperature comes up in any of my cars, but I do drive is Sport or Sport+ from the get go. 3rd BMW to be driven that way. The 6MT 1 series car is held one gear low till it get warm same RPM limit.

2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP - 2017 CX-5 - 2016 Genesis R-Spec Coupe - 2013 135is Cab 6MT/JB4 - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Expedition 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - 1965 Cobra MK-IV Dyno Tuned 477WHP - First Start. 477 WHP of BURBBLES

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-05-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #32
GPM
Private First Class
Rep

Completely agree with Kevin. Its not about what mode you select, its how you drive. Limiting RPMs until oil temperature comes up has proven to increase engine longevity since Kevin and I were kids.

Today's computer controlled systems along with improvements in lubrication virtually insures that only the foolish will harm an engine. Choose whatever mode you prefer and don't hammer the throttle until that oil temp gauge climbs and you're engine will be just fine.
      08-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #33
Matteo88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
With the 8AT, you can shift manually with either the paddles (if you have them) or the console shifter. Thus...you control the shift points.
haha i KNOW that. a friend of mine said the same thing. i'm weird tho.. if a have an auto i'd leave it in auto 98%+ of the time. not a huge fan of paddles despite them being the fastest and most efficient, particularly when paired to a proper tranny like the F30 has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Have not fooled with it but have you tried decoupling the suspension settings from the engine settings? Might be a way to get what you want without the lower gear being held.)
i didn't have enough time with it but if it's possible i'd have sharp throttle response, stiff suspension, sport + steering but gear change points like in comfort mode and that would probably work. probably just going to buy the manual though while it's still offered
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #34
Matteo88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
The other side of the coin is that most all of the cold start wear takes place before the starter even disengages from the flywheel.

Personally I limit RPM to 3500 till the oil temperature comes up in any of my cars, but I do drive is Sport or Sport+ from the get go. 3rd BMW to be driven that way. The 6MT 1 series car is held one gear low till it get warm same RPM limit.
agree with above. my current car, '13 genesis coupe 3.8GT actually limits power delivery until oil reaches 90 C. you can still rev up to redline but the power delivery is reduced... can't remember exactly how much but i'd estimate about 50%.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #35
BEAR-AvHistory
Rep

Just remined myself of one other reason to keep the revs up from the start. Had the COBRA out this morning.

Its a 5MT. starting out speed local limit is 45 & I do 54 or so. Run the car in 4th at that speed with up-shifts at 3000. Rev limit is 8200.

Ambient temperature is 88*F & after 2 miles water was 170 & oil was 100. After 4 miles water was 180 (my thermostat setting) & oil was 130. Oil did not come up to 180 (its setting) for 8 miles or so.

Now to the point. Anyone with a lot of relatively short drives is not getting the oil hot enough for vaporize & release contaminants running at idle or near idle engine speeds resulting in unnecessary engine wear.

This is compounded by 10/15K or once a year factory oil changes that BMW offers. Interesting thing on the BMW oil changes. My 2004 330 ZHP was 7500 miles. Don't remember what the 335is was but IIRC it was 10K miles. The 435 went to 15K miles & the 440 is back down to 10K miles.

Sounds like they are trying to dial in the least service possible without effecting warranty claims.

Am not an oil slave & 8-10K miles or once a year is good for me. Did an intermediate change myself on the 435 between 7 & 8K miles.

Use this pattern for everything I own or maintain for the family.

2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP - 2017 CX-5 - 2016 Genesis R-Spec Coupe - 2013 135is Cab 6MT/JB4 - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Expedition 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - 1965 Cobra MK-IV Dyno Tuned 477WHP - First Start. 477 WHP of BURBBLES
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #36
BEAR-AvHistory
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo88 View Post
agree with above. my current car, '13 genesis coupe 3.8GT actually limits power delivery until oil reaches 90 C. you can still rev up to redline but the power delivery is reduced... can't remember exactly how much but i'd estimate about 50%.
How do you like the coupe. We got an 6MT R-Spec for my Grandson when he graduated college last year. Its run very well so far & he is happy with it. I would like to steal his seats for the COBRA.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #37
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Just my opinion, but BMW really should scrap EP mode and retain the other modes, but Sport should be the default mode as these cars are marketed as the ultimate sports sedans aren't they??
I have never driven my bmw in eco mode and don't plan to but there is no reason that the option should be eliminated for those who might care to drive in the most economical manner even if it does reduce the quality of the ride.

Choices are good.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #38
Matteo88
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
How do you like the coupe. We got an 6MT R-Spec for my Grandson when he graduated college last year. Its run very well so far & he is happy with it. I would like to steal his seats for the COBRA.
still like it a lot, actually. incredible value. picked it up for 31K with about 11K kms on it in 2013 and drove it ever since. has given me 0 problems other than a rattly shift knob that's been replaced twice under warranty. my biggest complaints are:

- dual mass flywheel not the greatest for spirited shifting but many claim it is smoother
- less than great throttle response, could be tightened up a bit
- steering feel could be better. it's better than the 340i and c43 that i have been shopping but it's not great, particularly compared to my previous RSX-S
- traction control is terrible. will completely cut power, very invasive. can be manually turned off by the push of a button while leaving stability control on (this is a must) but i never understood the point of traction control in any vehicle, really.
- back seats aren't that big. cramped for a full size adult but it's a coupe after all.

what's great?

- combined fuel economy has been pretty good, about 25mpg or 9L/100km with mostly highway driving
- infinity stereo is amazing. great bass response and balance, better than the Burmester in the C-class--have yet to try the HK in the 3 series
- great sounding V6 with sound piping into the cabin, really great noise
- lots of buttons and knobs, great interior layout and steering wheel controls
- lumbar support
- very sporty, great turn in and tight suspension, no "comfort" mode but i find it very compliant on long trips. not great for uneven, bumpy, or dirt roads but i'll take a stiffer suspension any day
- incredibly low cost of operation. i've only had to do regular maintenance on it. original front brake pads lasted over 100K (60K miles) partly thanks to lots of highway and my driving style.

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. happy to chat.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #39
t$
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

I have a 6mt and I find ecopro to be useful in heavy traffic (with ass disabled). The lack of throttle response means you can be really accurate with giving the car very little gas.

I dont have anything i can cite to back this up, but my understanding is that the different modes essentially control throttle response and in turn how quickly/how much boost is used. Assuming thats the case, I think it would make sense that if you were to keep the car for 100k+ miles, driving in sport/+ all the time might put more wear on the turbo. I dont have much experience with turbos from the last 10 years but it seemed like before that it was fairly common for them to start going around 100k. If thats the case with these engines I would think that all other things being equal with 2 cars if one was driven with more use of the turbo it would have a higher chance of failing sooner. Like Kafkaesque328 i doubt many people debating this on here now will keep the car long enough to experience a turbo failure, but eventually i imagine that will be a problem on the second hand market for these cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #40
DrGadget
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: B58M F30 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
With the 8AT, you can shift manually with either the paddles (if you have them) or the console shifter. Thus...you control the shift points.
Took the words right out of my head on this topic. I use Comfort mode and have the exhaust valve open using Carly for BMW Pro (Android) and use the paddles if I need to ..... On a Club drive day where there are twists and turns, I use Sport mode.

11-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #41
harperium
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

Sport mode has made me into a demon. I'm now "one of those" drivers. And since I just got the MPPSK on my 340, I'm now "one of those" noisy drivers. But I can't go back.
Appreciate 1
Beek263

11-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #42
jeffc83
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Im not a fan of EcoPro's numbness either and I too think its dangerous when you need instant throttle but thats usually not on my country roads but in lane changing freeways..
EP and gentle driving warms the car enough to get me to the freeway where it goes to sport
and no colder than operating oil conditions offers less protection for the engine I dont think I need to explain this further
but of course i intend to keep this car for several hundred thousand miles so I understand most of you leasers dont give a damn..
also a reason I wont buy used bimmers
Incorrect, it is not dangerous at all; FLOOR it in ECOPRO and you might be surprised Some do like it for dull commutes...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #43
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Yea. MPG issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #44
jeffc83
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Not necessarily otherwise I'd own a 330e or a Prius

I drive in Sport when not commuting but as for my shitty slow ass commutes to the office, yes, I am using ECO PRO 9/10 times! (unless I am running late)

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0