F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2018 V 2015 Gran Coupe
European Auto Source

11-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
CalCarNut
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
2018 V 2015 Gran Coupe

Had to take my wife's X3 in so I was given a 2018 Gran Coupe to drive. Since I have a 2015, figured it might be interesting to compare.

Other than the badge on the outside (430 v 428), exterior wasn't changed all that much generally speaking. Minor tweaks (tail light LEDs,etc.) but nothing that shows a big jump between the two. Loaner is a Sport Line equipped model...no nav..no upgraded bells/whistles which is fine as my car doesn't have Nav or leather either. The loaner does have a leather steering wheel which is odd given the seats are Sensatec. I prefer my wheel and interior as it has the red stitching etc where the 2018 doesn't. I also prefer my 'cheap' SW over the 'nicer' leather one. Personal preference.

Rear view camera is levels above mine in clarity. Surprised me as its only been 3yrs but its quite obvious. Winner: 2018.

The new B48...well, it's not a fair comparison since my cars N26 is flash tuned...so honestly the B48 from a stop felt slow. Granted, it only has 1700miles on it v 16000 on mine. At higher rpms, it showed its power getting on the freeway etc. I switched it to sport mode and it was more lively but my flash tuned N26 takes the nod: Winner 2015.

Both sounded the same at idle...nothing impressive. Winner: Tie. They both suck in the sound dept.

Initially when I bought my car, I wanted Imperial blue but was overruled by wife.com. This car is Imperial blue. I thought "cool". I realized it's not that great of a color and it doesn't look blue from the drivers seat. I prefer my basic black car. Winner: 2015

Driving characteristics were a less harsh ride, even with the same P7 RFs. I'm guessing the car is not equipped with the 704 suspension my car has. I didn't push the car in any turns but the ride was noticeably softer from the get go. Nice, but I like the firmer suspension of my car. Winner: 2015 (as equipped).

Being a loaner, the wheels had been curbed a few times and there were a few scuffs here and there. A shame given it's short use life so far. Winner: 2015

It's a very nice car and perhaps the B48 is well beyond the N26 in terms of smoothness etc...but I didn't experience it so far. Given the very minor changes between the 2, I don't see any need to upgrade 3 model years and get 'less' imo. I even liked my brakes better..and neither car had M-sport upgrades...just basic system. The Loaner feels mushy where my car has a much stronger initial 'bite' on braking. Didn't like it and wasn't confidence inspiring. I know it takes time to break them in but my car feels now as it did new. I may add to the opinion if I drive it more but as of now, my 2015 with it's better maintenance program, better brakes etc 'wins'. The only thing I'd want to swap is the rear camera/screen display .
      11-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #2
sikotic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

What did you use to flash tune your car? I have a 2016 f36 and love it. Getting more more power out of it would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
spuntyb
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 | 2015 F30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Had to take my wife's X3 in so I was given a 2018 Gran Coupe to drive. Since I have a 2015, figured it might be interesting to compare.

Other than the badge on the outside (430 v 428), exterior wasn't changed all that much generally speaking. Minor tweaks (tail light LEDs,etc.) but nothing that shows a big jump between the two. Loaner is a Sport Line equipped model...no nav..no upgraded bells/whistles which is fine as my car doesn't have Nav or leather either. The loaner does have a leather steering wheel which is odd given the seats are Sensatec. I prefer my wheel and interior as it has the red stitching etc where the 2018 doesn't. I also prefer my 'cheap' SW over the 'nicer' leather one. Personal preference.

Rear view camera is levels above mine in clarity. Surprised me as its only been 3yrs but its quite obvious. Winner: 2018.

The new B48...well, it's not a fair comparison since my cars N26 is flash tuned...so honestly the B48 from a stop felt slow. Granted, it only has 1700miles on it v 16000 on mine. At higher rpms, it showed its power getting on the freeway etc. I switched it to sport mode and it was more lively but my flash tuned N26 takes the nod: Winner 2015.

Both sounded the same at idle...nothing impressive. Winner: Tie. They both suck in the sound dept.

Initially when I bought my car, I wanted Imperial blue but was overruled by wife.com. This car is Imperial blue. I thought "cool". I realized it's not that great of a color and it doesn't look blue from the drivers seat. I prefer my basic black car. Winner: 2015

Driving characteristics were a less harsh ride, even with the same P7 RFs. I'm guessing the car is not equipped with the 704 suspension my car has. I didn't push the car in any turns but the ride was noticeably softer from the get go. Nice, but I like the firmer suspension of my car. Winner: 2015 (as equipped).

Being a loaner, the wheels had been curbed a few times and there were a few scuffs here and there. A shame given it's short use life so far. Winner: 2015

It's a very nice car and perhaps the B48 is well beyond the N26 in terms of smoothness etc...but I didn't experience it so far. Given the very minor changes between the 2, I don't see any need to upgrade 3 model years and get 'less' imo. I even liked my brakes better..and neither car had M-sport upgrades...just basic system. The Loaner feels mushy where my car has a much stronger initial 'bite' on braking. Didn't like it and wasn't confidence inspiring. I know it takes time to break them in but my car feels now as it did new. I may add to the opinion if I drive it more but as of now, my 2015 with it's better maintenance program, better brakes etc 'wins'. The only thing I'd want to swap is the rear camera/screen display .
I haven't been impressed so far with the B48 or the 330 in general. Bit of a let down imho.
2018 Macan GTS (ordered)
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
la02max
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-sport 6MT

I put ~5,000 miles on a B48 loaner when my 335i was in the shop, and I was actually pretty impressed with that engine. My car is a JB4-tuned N55 and I have stiffer bilstien shocks with H&R springs plus non-RFT tires that are wider (M-sport vs. base), so mine obviously handled a lot better and is considerably faster...but the B48 engine was still impressive. From a stop, the B48 was slow but highway driving was great. It honestly seemed like the ECU was cutting power in 1st-4th gears. Once it shifted into 5th, it flew.

I disliked the Apple CarPlay so I turned that off, but the screen was a bit crisper than mine was so I give the nod to the LCI for electronics. The LED headlights look nice, but aren't nearly as bright as my HID's (especially the high beams). Overall, I agree it's not worth spending additional money to upgrade, but I definitely wouldn't say you're getting less with the LCI...
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
CalCarNut
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
What did you use to flash tune your car? I have a 2016 f36 and love it. Getting more more power out of it would be awesome.

GSR (now HD Tuning). Love the tune.