F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Changes in the sound system from E90 to F30
Studio RSR

11-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

To judge sound quality in your car please use CD, very high bitrate MP3 or HD Radio. Satellite (Sirus) sounds like AM radio and FM is a 70 year old technology. Yup, 70+ years. And Sirus sounds worse than FM. Over-compression and narrowed channel bandwidth have turned Sat radio into garbage as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Two questions - which specs are you thinking of looking at to tell you how it sounds, and what's an "E90 Audiophile system"?
Just a seat of the pants analysis, and the Audiophile system is the one with Dirac Live (which was available in the M3, 335i & 335d), not the one with Logic7. It was also called the BMW Individual Audio System. Come to think of it, it was available to Canada but not in the US, I guess...

2021 X3 M40i, Phytonic/Cognac
Past:
2017 330i xDrive Touring M Sport, EBII, Dinan
2014 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The Individual Audio system was the premium system initially, and then was replaced by Enhanced Premium. I've never heard of it called Audiophile before. The Enhanced Premium is actually pretty good - they upgraded the amp to one with a real switching power supply, and the speakers in the doors have real two-way xovers (Technic, did the Individual have the passive in-door 2W xovers?)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

And the F30 HK did not sound as good as E9x Enhanced Premium. Close.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
Does anyone know if the sound system in the F30 has been improved?
I see HK on the pricing as the top system, which is the same as E90. I wonder if they are just rolling over the same system, or did they bother redesigning the "top hifi" system, or even the hifi system.
Something needing notation is that the F30 "standard" audio system found in Europe is not available in the US. We instead get the "premium" audio system which is the step-up, optional audio system in other parts of the world.

The audio system included in the F30 is vastly superior to the one included in the E90. To my ears, that was enough improvement for me to no need to consider the Harmon Kardon option. I listen to Satellite and iPod 90% of the time, doesn't need anything more than what the F30 comes standard with. The US system is already a premium setup, didn't need a super-premium one in an environment like a car cockpit.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Something needing notation is that the F30 "standard" audio system found in Europe is not available in the US. We instead get the "premium" audio system which is the step-up, optional audio system in other parts of the world.

The audio system included in the F30 is vastly superior to the one included in the E90. To my ears, that was enough improvement for me to no need to consider the Harmon Kardon option. I listen to Satellite and iPod 90% of the time, doesn't need anything more than what the F30 comes standard with. The US system is already a premium setup, didn't need a super-premium one in an environment like a car cockpit.

BJ
after driving thr e90 and having my ears bleed, i'll confirm, the f30 US base sound system that i have in my 335i is damn good...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
sohashi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport GP

F30 sound improvement

Does anybody know about how can I improve my system base (I'm not from US). Questions:

1. I don't have the tweeters in front doors. Is there a connections for these nevertheless?

2. If I bought a original amplifier, can I install it in the trunk like original? Is there cabling for this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohashi View Post
Does anybody know about how can I improve my system base (I'm not from US). Questions:

1. I don't have the tweeters in front doors. Is there a connections for these nevertheless?

2. If I bought a original amplifier, can I install it in the trunk like original? Is there cabling for this?

Thanks

1. The tweeters plug into the matching mids.

2. No.

We have developed an extensive kit for E82, E9X, and E70 cars with this system. We do not have the base Stereo in any US cars again as far as I know, so we can't validate our approach for the F30. My prediction is that the signal is heavily boosted to make up for the missing tweeters and the missing 8" woofers (underseat you probably have 6-inch speakers if the past is any guide). If you have a good shop with the right tools I can tell them what to look for and what to measure.
Appreciate 0