F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual or Automatic
ARMA SPEED

03-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Manual or Automatic

How many longtime MT drivers getting an F30 are going to switch camps and get the AT?
I am in that same situation - have driven MT since I got my first car in 1980 - but keep waffling between MT and AT.

Previously I could justify MT since it was less money AND more efficient. But, with the big improvement in performance & fuel economy of the new 8AT, and the fact that it is no extra cost in the US, curious to hear opinions from MT drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Went manual and didn't even think twice about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I am going to do this actually. Last four cars were manual, never owned an automatic before in fact.

Took a test drive in the 328i and 335i, both automatic versions and was very impressed. Of course it's not going to behave exactly like a manual--it can't read your mind after all--but I can accept that. Besides I'm getting the sport automatic transmission, so the paddles will satisfy any manual-shifting urges I might have.

This is a decision that must make sense to you in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Kabz
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i - 6MT

Age old question.

I was originally looking at used 3-series before I decided to go with the F30.
Everything was Automatic, so I was reluctantly preparing myself to become an Automatic driver.

I have been a Manual driver my whole life, and didn't want to switch to Automatic.
When I decided on a 335i I made sure I got myself a 6-speed because there is simply NO OTHER WAY to fully ENJOY the control, speed, and maneuverability of a car unless you are driving manual.

Many people will disagree with that, but I also love driving Manual because I feel it is safer.
Every time I drive an Automatic, I am more inclined to check my cell phone, take a phone call instead of ignoring it, play with the radio, etc.

With an automatic you have an arm and a leg that does the work for you.
If you are a Manual driver, all four limbs are working, both legs, both hands (unless you're cruising in 6th on the highway)

I am more aware at how fast I am going because I know when I have switched into a certain gear, and downshifting to overtake someone is way more satisfying in a manual than an automatic.

I also look at it as a romantic attribute to have with your sports car.
More cars are going toward paddle-shifting, and I understand it's more accurate than a manual could ever be on SOME cars, but for the new 3-series: get a manual.

I've had friends who have made the jump to manual and couldn't believe what they were missing.

Cliffnotes: Manual is the only way to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Great thread, great replies so far. I have always driven a stick if given a choice. When the Mk V GTI came out with the much vaunted DSG in '05 I drove both it and a stick version back to back. DSG much smoother, could downshift & rev match perfectly (unlike me) and ultimately faster probably. It also bored the hell out of me. Which is why my current Candy White 2010 GTI sits in my driveway with three pedals. Even in DC's worst beltway nightmare traffic I still love my car. You have no idea how much of a pain in the butt installing my dieselgeek short shift kit was but I find it awesome. Snick, snick - total, complete control with a great clutch feel to boot. Love my car!

I'm getting the 8 speed auto on the F30 though unless I decide on a S4 instead in which case I'm absolutely spending the extra $1,700 on the excellent 7 speed Audi S-Tronic flavor of DSG. Rationale: I have a chronic partially torn left lateral meniscus. Translation into English - I F'ed up my left knee playing lacrosse 20 years ago and it's never healed correctly. Also traffic does suck dancing on a clutch for 45 minutes at a stretch I have to admit. But the main reason is the ZF 8 speed is just a fuggin' awesome transmission (along with the DSG). Fast, responsive, I throw it in Sport and it does what I would want. It is smooth and makes the driving experience better- I can go diving for the apex and not have to screw it up with a bad gear change - pull the paddle, let the transmission do it's thing better than I ever could and just brake correctly and nail the throttle getting out. And it gets better mileage along with dropping the revs out on the interstate for the ridiculous amount of commuting I do up and down I-95 (which is the East Coast's largest parking lot for those not familiar).

Grew up shifting my own and always derided slushboxes because they were usually so bad. I hated the 5 speed auto that I had on my V-6 Accord. But I just loved the auto on both of my test drives (and I have driven an E90 335i with a stick). $0.02

Last edited by volsfan0911; 03-04-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Well, I have been driving a manual for the last 17 years, and have always preferred it. Even when I was living in the US, I had a manual, apart from the occasional rental car.

And here in Europe manuals are the norm, and you typically have to pay a large premium for any kind of automatic. The 8AT would normally cost €2470.- here and the Sport version €2656.

But right now BMW is having a special promotion, until the end of the month, where you get the 8AT at zero cost, and the Sport version for €186.-

And since the car will be a company lease, the fact that it has an Automatic means it has a higher resale value at the end, which in turn means the monthly lease cost is lower (or in other words, I can add more options for the lease amount).

So in the end it was largely a financial decision to go with the Automatic, but I did go for the Sport version.

My wife on the other hand is not really happy with the decision to go with an Automatic...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

When you test drive the Auto, make note on whether it has the shift paddles or not. I could not find an F30 Sport Line without the shift paddles. From what I've researched, I believe the STEPTRONIC Automatic vs the Sport Automatic + Paddle Shifters are tuned differently. I could be wrong cos the official info on the differences are kinda hazy. But if you test drove an auto and was pleased with the response, it may have been the Sport Automatic + Paddle Shifters.... which is an extra $500.

Can anyone confirm if the regular Auto is different from the Sport Auto? If yes, how so?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post

Can anyone confirm if the regular Auto is different from the Sport Auto? If yes, how so?
The geabox is the same, but they have different software so the sport Auto feels more sporty and has the paddles and slightly different gearhandle.
      03-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The geabox is the same, but they have different software so the sport Auto feels more sporty and has the paddles and slightly different gearhandle.
Thank you. You're an encyclopedia. I was hoping you would reply. I'm ordering the paddles. As far as I'm concerned, the automatic (for manual drivers) costs $500 more!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I don't see how an 8-speed automatic transmission could be performance oriented. As I see it, it is in fact geared towards efficiency. I don't want 3 shifts to 62mph, and 6 shifts in the 1/4 mile. It's insane, as fast as the shifts are.

It seems to me that the manual gearbox remains the performance oriented gearbox (until a proper DCT option comes - not one that slips if tuned even 100Nm over the stock torque - like in the current 335i), while the automatic is geared towards lower fuel consumption. I don't think you can have both performance and efficiency from an 8-speed gearbox with fixed ratios. Maybe the Sport Automatic has different gear ratios ? If not, manual remains the only option for true performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I just switched back from almost two years in a 8AT F10 535i to a 6MT. And I love it. And you know what:
The 8AT is for free till the end of march in Holland.
But no. No more autoboxes for me atm.
All my 7 other BMW's were 5MT and 6MT.

I just feel more connected to my car with a manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabz View Post
Age old question.

Everything was Automatic, so I was reluctantly preparing myself to become an Automatic driver.

I have been a Manual driver my whole life, and didn't want to switch to Automatic.
When I decided on a 335i I made sure I got myself a 6-speed because there is simply NO OTHER WAY to fully ENJOY the control, speed, and maneuverability of a car unless you are driving manual.

Many people will disagree with that, but I also love driving Manual because I feel it is safer.
Every time I drive an Automatic, I am more inclined to check my cell phone, take a phone call instead of ignoring it, play with the radio, etc.

If you are a Manual driver, all four limbs are working, both legs, both hands (unless you're cruising in 6th on the highway)

I am more aware at how fast I am going because I know when I have switched into a certain gear, and downshifting to overtake someone is way more satisfying in a manual than an automatic.

More cars are going toward paddle-shifting, and I understand it's more accurate than a manual could ever be on SOME cars, but for the new 3-series: get a manual.

I've had friends who have made the jump to manual and couldn't believe what they were missing.

Your post says it all !!! I could not agree more with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I just switched back from almost two years in a 8AT F10 535i to a 6MT. And I love it. And you know what:
The 8AT is for free till the end of march in Holland.
But no. No more autoboxes for me atm.
All my 7 other BMW's were 5MT and 6MT.

I just feel more connected to my car with a manual gearbox.
Just like you I will NOT regret my choice for going with a 6MT!
My sister who just traded in her 5MT E46 325i for a Autobox E90 LCI 328i,
has just told me last week that : It was the choice she made that she most regretted in her life !!

She has been driving MT since college, (i taught her how to)
and this is her first time back to the Autobox... she is just not happy...

maybe if she bought the F30 AT, it would have been a different story...
but even then, I am not going for it... it will be a MT all the way./

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 03-05-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I switched my order from manual to auto, not complaints here
      03-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
It was the choice she made that she most regretted in her life !!
I too wish I had a manual, but if this is the worst choice your sister has ever made in her life, she must still be very, very young.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Talking Living Life with no regrets ... except going for an AT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleagedhippie View Post
I too wish I had a manual, but if this is the worst choice your sister has ever made in her life, she must still be very, very young.
she is turning 31 this coming thursday, and the car choice was taken with her husband about a month ago at the BMW dealership, they could not find a Manual 3 series sedan in all of the CPO inventory...

last week, she decided to call the dealership to ask if they still have kept her old E46 MT for her to buy it back! LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabz View Post
Age old question.

Thats just a matter of mind power!! I never text in my car even at red llight because it can wait. I do answer my phone through bluetooth so i can keep my hand on the whell
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
Went manual and didn't even think twice about it.
My last 4 BMW where all Manual i finnallyy Jumped on the 8 Speed After all the glorified reviews.

I never thinked twice about going back to Manual the F30 suites an Automatic its smother much enjoyable ride.

The automatic is a great choice just make sure you Get Pad Shiffters.

(Picturezs of my new car will be up tommarow with a Review
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all the inputs & opinions so far.

Convenience: Obviously 8AT wins.

Cost/Resale: In US, it’s a no cost option, so anyone getting MT is already subsidizing the AT, so taking the hit at purchase vs. return, on a lease at least. Note sure if it could be another hit on re-sale for a purchase.

Efficiency: EPA numbers rate 8AT higher, but… I average 24+ in my E46 330i which is EPA rated (under the current system) at 18/27/22 combined. If I can achieve 2-3 mpg than the EPA combined rating for 335i (20/30/23), I would be happy.

Performance: Not sure I could personally beat an 8AT car in a drag race, though it may be possible, but, not a huge concern of mine.

Fun/Connected: This is what I am most worried about giving up. When I was considering upgrading to the F10 last year, I was OK going to 8AT since I did not think MT would be as fun or in keeping with the bigger car. But, now that I am mentally committed to the F30, am having second thoughts on my order request, even though I can change back in 3 years (leasing for the first time, too).

Auto Stop/Start: More control over functioning. Can prevent engagement or start engine early with clutch.
Sounds like I need to change my order to 6MT.

Last edited by pcbrew; 03-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: added point on Auto Stop/Start
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
fg3
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

MT for me.

No matter how good it is (and that ZF is a doozy), I just don't enjoy driving a car with an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

I would like to have a 328i 8AT for an extended (1 week) test drive to see if I could live with the turbo-4 and AT for long term.
Since that's not going to happen, will probably end up getting 335i 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

The auto is an 1600 pounds option in the uk. I have opted for the 8 speed auto for the first time, after yeas o f driving manual cars. Was drawn by the fact it's 8, same economy, speed, emission as the manual, congestion in cities. Having had the car for five days still adjusting to it. Seamless acceleration through the gears is great, though feel I'm missing the immediacy of a manual and engine braking when slowing down. Would I recommend? Too early to say.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob72 View Post
But right now BMW is having a special promotion, until the end of the month, where you get the 8AT at zero cost, and the Sport version for €186.-
where do you live??? Nothing like this here

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired

Last edited by AlexM; 03-05-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0