F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Speeding
Extreme Powerhouse

01-29-2015, 01:04 AM   #45
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I don't know.

I just had the most bomb sex with this one chick somewhere in Baconia though, but I left with the wrong... HOLY CRAP upstatedoc IS THAT YOURS?!?!?
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #46
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Well, as a general update, I just took a road trip from Chicago to Rapid City, SD for Memorial Day and got pulled over 3 times for speeding. Yes, call me a hypocrite but it is just too hard to slow down in this car sometimes.

The first instance happened right after crossing over into Wisconsin from Illinois. Speed limit in Illinois in 70 on I-90 and generally everyone goes about ~78-80mph. Speed limit in Wisconsin is 65 and got popped for a $250 ticket going 82. The one nice thing about speeding tickets in Wisconsin, I found out, is that Wisconsin is one of two states that don't usually share traffic violation information with other states (in my case, I am an Indiana resident) since they are not part of the DLC, NRVC, or DLA interstate agreements. So, hopefully my premiums don't rise. The other state in Michigan.

The second instance was the very next day in the middle of South Dakota, still on I-90. The new speed limit there is 80mph which I had set my cruise control. Out of nowhere, I casually cruise by 3 state police sitting in the median for what looks likes just chatting. A minute later, one of those three comes screaming up behind me and turns his lights on, I was bewildered. He said he had me clocked at 82 in an 80 and that he is letting all the Memorial Day vacationers know the limit is strict. I told him I had the cruise set to 80 but he told me to set it to 78 since cruise control can be off +/- 2 mph at that speed. I also told him I just got a ticket and he felt bad and let us go.

The third instance was in South Dakota again, but we were coming back from Rapid City. Again, +2 mph over while I was going the speed limit but this time, the dickhead officer decided to give me a ticket (different guy though).

The rest of the way back, I asked my girlfriend if she could figure out how to use Waze (I know, late to the game), and we effectively bypassed all cops with ease.

I can see the first offense being legitimate (although shitty practice since not everyone knows the new speed limit when immediately entering a new state) but the second and third offenses just seemed to be a bit ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #47
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Thanks mom.

Let's all go back to cars with 85 mph speedos.
Reminds me of my first beater car.. An 89 Chevy Cavalier.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #48
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Well, as a general update, I just took a road trip from Chicago to Rapid City, SD for Memorial Day and got pulled over 3 times for speeding. Yes, call me a hypocrite but it is just too hard to slow down in this car sometimes.
Just last month I drove from Miami to Chicago and I was pulled over once but not for speeding when in fact the person in front of me was speeding . It was a SC deputy sheriff and she was pretty cool, though told me I was following a 18 wheeler too closely. I didn't pull 'the saving gas' excuse as I explained I didn't realize I was too close. Gave me a written warning and was on my way.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #49
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:

The first instance happened right after crossing over into Wisconsin from Illinois. Speed limit in Illinois in 70 on I-90 and generally everyone goes about ~78-80mph. Speed limit in Wisconsin is 65 and got popped for a $250 ticket going 82. The one nice thing about speeding tickets in Wisconsin, I found out, is that Wisconsin is one of two states that don't usually share traffic violation information with other states (in my case, I am an Indiana resident) since they are not part of the DLC, NRVC, or DLA interstate agreements. So, hopefully my premiums don't rise. The other state in Michigan.

The second instance was the very next day in the middle of South Dakota, still on I-90. The new speed limit there is 80mph which I had set my cruise control. Out of nowhere, I casually cruise by 3 state police sitting in the median for what looks likes just chatting. A minute later, one of those three comes screaming up behind me and turns his lights on, I was bewildered. He said he had me clocked at 82 in an 80 and that he is letting all the Memorial Day vacationers know the limit is strict. I told him I had the cruise set to 80 but he told me to set it to 78 since cruise control can be off +/- 2 mph at that speed. I also told him I just got a ticket and he felt bad and let us go.

The third instance was in South Dakota again, but we were coming back from Rapid City. Again, +2 mph over while I was going the speed limit but this time, the dickhead officer decided to give me a ticket (different guy though).

The rest of the way back, I asked my girlfriend if she could figure out how to use Waze (I know, late to the game), and we effectively bypassed all cops with ease.

I can see the first offense being legitimate (although shitty practice since not everyone knows the new speed limit when immediately entering a new state) but the second and third offenses just seemed to be a bit ridiculous.
Nope. Not gonna call you a hypocrite. You know why? You've now learned that spending money on countermeasures isn't just about breaking the law. It's also about not feeding the money machine.
Appreciate 3
      06-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #50
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Nope. Not gonna call you a hypocrite. You know why? You've now learned that spending money on countermeasures isn't just about breaking the law. It's also about not feeding the money machine.
Thanks for the support. I just ordered a Cobra radar detector (i know it's not the best) and a cell phone car mount for easy Wazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #51
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I find it hard to believe you got pulled over twice for 2mph over the speed limit. That's really unheard of around here..

You drive an M4, buy something better^^

Last edited by upstatedoc; 06-05-2015 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: cobra radar detectors suck
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #52
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I find it hard to believe you got pulled over twice for 2mph over the speed limit. That's really unheard of around here..

I would fight that ticket. Ask when the radar gun was calibrated.. Also radar guns are NOT 100% accurate. You got to be out of your mind to pull someone over for going 2 miles over the limit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #53
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I know it's unheard of, however the cop told me they just implemented a new speed limit of 80mph right before Memorial Day and so I think they were probably more strict than regular to make sure people don't go 85-90. I also probably didn't help that it was in the middle of S. Dakota and Memorial Day weekend, ticketing is the State Cops main source of revenue.

To your other point, yeah I get it but 90% of my driving time is spent in the city where it's almost impossible to speed due to traffic. If I am taking another road trip or visiting relatives out of state then I will rely on Waze primarily with my radar as a backup.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #54
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
I would fight that ticket. Ask when the radar gun was calibrated.. Also radar guns are NOT 100% accurate. You got to be out of your mind to pull someone over for going 2 miles over the limit.
I am mailing in my argument for both tickets hoping the officer forgets or leaves the agency. However, since these are out of state tickets, I would either have to travel back to the county where I got the ticket or hire an attorney to stand in for me if it goes to pre-trial. My brother-in-law is a cop and he said officers get overtime pay for responding to the tickets they wrote with court dates and that they are penalized for not showing up. I might as well just pay the ticket at that point.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #55
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
The problem with Waze is that you're relying on other drivers to SEE and then REPORT the police at an accurate location. Around where I live at least, these cops don't stay put for very long. I've gone to the store, passed a cop on the way in one spot, then went back home in what had to be about 15 minutes and saw the same cop at a different spot about 5 miles down the road. Also, sometimes they aren't always visible on the highway (I'm thinking of I-64 in VA heading to VA Beach) so if people are cruising at a good clip, they either don't see the cop at all or report them too late and it shows it at a little bit of a different location.

It sounds like you got lucky using it before. I'd rely primarily on the detector first, then use Waze.
      06-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #56
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

http://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

OP, how do you account for the fact that despite having no speed limits in many parts of the autobahn, it resulted in just 428 deaths for 2013 (a rate of 1.9% of per-billion-km-traveled)?

Have you considered that the issue is not speeding, but rather American driver incompetence?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #57
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
The problem with Waze is that you're relying on other drivers to SEE and then REPORT the police at an accurate location.
Exactly, you're relying on other people to alert you. What if those other people are idiots? You just relied on an idiot to alert you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #58
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
The problem with Waze is that you're relying on other drivers to SEE and then REPORT the police at an accurate location. Around where I live at least, these cops don't stay put for very long. I've gone to the store, passed a cop on the way in one spot, then went back home in what had to be about 15 minutes and saw the same cop at a different spot about 5 miles down the road. Also, sometimes they aren't always visible on the highway (I'm thinking of I-64 in VA heading to VA Beach) so if people are cruising at a good clip, they either don't see the cop at all or report them too late and it shows it at a little bit of a different location.

It sounds like you got lucky using it before. I'd rely primarily on the detector first, then use Waze.
Yeah, I see your point about Waze and I had the same thoughts too while using it for the first time. I'm not saying Waze is perfect, it isn't, but radar detectors have their faults too. One that comes to mind is that police use 'instant on' technique where they can point and shoot their gun and get an instant reading. Of course your radar detector would detect his gun if traffic was moderate/heavy and he was shooting cars in front of you but if you're flying down a highway in light traffic he may just be waiting to shoot the one guy that is speeding. Cops know most if not all the tricks people try to play, they live and breathe it everyday.

Some will depend mostly on Waze and others on their detectors. Both are good tools to use.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #59
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
http://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

OP, how do you account for the fact that despite having no speed limits in many parts of the autobahn, it resulted in just 428 deaths for 2013 (a rate of 1.9% of per-billion-km-traveled)?

Have you considered that the issue is not speeding, but rather American driver incompetence?
I've driven on the autobahn quite often and many parts actually have speed limits, especially around cities where more people are driving. I don't think the Autobahn system is necessarily the answer to lower speed-related traffic deaths, but rather more educated/skilled drivers. Germany has better driver education and other laws regarding traffic other than speeding that is strictly enforced to increase safety and allow for higher speeds. In America, any 16 idiot can get a license, slow-poke in the fast lane while texting and not realize his tire is flat, haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #60
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
I've driven on the autobahn quite often and many parts actually have speed limits, especially around cities where more people are driving. I don't think the Autobahn system is necessarily the answer to lower speed-related traffic deaths, but rather more educated/skilled drivers. Germany has better driver education and other laws regarding traffic other than speeding that is strictly enforced to increase safety and allow for higher speeds. In America, any 16 idiot can get a license, slow-poke in the fast lane while texting and not realize his tire is flat, haha.
So then we're in agreement. I'm not saying that the autobahn system is the answer, but rather that speeding is not the problem. This runs counter to your OP:

"If you want to drive faster than the speed limit than either face the consequences or put up some $$ to get on a track / private road. "

I don't fault anyone for buying a radar jammer / detector to protect themselves from a regulation that is primarily designed to generate revenue, fronting as a concern for "safety".
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #61
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, you're relying on other people to alert you. What if those other people are idiots? You just relied on an idiot to alert you.
You are exactly right. I do not know who is reporting what and they could potentially be a crazy lunatic bent on f'ing up my day. However, most people have to rely on people that are potential idiots almost every day of their life. Yesterday, I relied on an airplane pilot to fly me to Ohare, I then relied on an Uber driver to drive me home, this morning I relied on a subway operator to take me to work, and now I am getting ready for a Chipotle cook to fix my lunch. Any of those people could f*** up my day if they wanted but I live with it. This is also the reason why I use both Waze and the detector, I've just had a better experience with Waze so far, but that could change.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #62
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To your other point, yeah I get it but 90% of my driving time is spent in the city where it's almost impossible to speed due to traffic. If I am taking another road trip or visiting relatives out of state then I will rely on Waze primarily with my radar as a backup.
Ok, no, you don't get it. Not gonna call you a hypocrite, but I will call you a dumbass.

Radar detectors are definitely in the category of "you get what you pay for". Spend the $500. Don't cheap out or you'll end up in this thread again asking how in the world you could've been ticketed when you had a radar detector, screaming "What a waste of money!!!!!!", all kinds of pissed off, and the cycle will come full circle with you, again, asking why we all spend money on countermeasures. Do yourself a favor and listen to the advice given here.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #63
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Ok, no, you don't get it. Not gonna call you a hypocrite, but I will call you a dumbass.

Radar detectors are definitely in the category of "you get what you pay for". Spend the $500. Don't cheap out or you'll end up in this thread again asking how in the world you could've been ticketed when you had a radar detector, screaming "What a waste of money!!!!!!", all kinds of pissed off, and the cycle will come full circle with you, again, asking why we all spend money on countermeasures. Do yourself a favor and listen to the advice given here.
Well, there goes the civil conversation (usually an older 1 series lowly)

I never said you don't get what you pay for when it comes to radar detectors so I don't know why you assume I disregarded that.

Seems like you live in Texas where you have to take a highway anytime you want to go somewhere, where I live I could spend a whole month and not even have to break 35mph. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on something that I won't use that often. Of course, some people always have to have the best, but not me.

Also, by your same logic, why don't you pony up for the Escort 9500ci instead of cheaping out on the $500 junk. Seems to be ~$2000 but you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #64
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
hypocrite.

only because you said to.
Quote:
did they raise the limit? when i lived in chicago, it was very rare to see anything above 55 and i don't think i've ever seen 70. maybe i'm losing my mind. maybe super far south or west but never north.

i use to go from the north side of chicago to wisco ever few months and would never speed crossing the border. they love giving IL drivers tickets because they're less likely to dispute it in court... and they're dicks. some areas they sit on bridges, clock cars and raido a car down the road to pull them over.

i actually bought my first radar detector in wisco because it was so hot.
      06-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #65
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
did they raise the limit? when i lived in chicago, it was very rare to see anything above 55 and i don't think i've ever seen 70. maybe i'm losing my mind. maybe super far south or west but never north.

i use to go from the north side of chicago to wisco ever few months and would never speed crossing the border. they love giving IL drivers tickets because they're less likely to dispute it in court... and they're dicks. some areas they sit on bridges, clock cars and raido a car down the road to pull them over.

i actually bought my first radar detector in wisco because it was so hot.
The last 20 or so miles in Illinois, before you reach Wisconsin, is 70. It must be considered a rural interstate. http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/state-chart
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #66
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I never said you don't get what you pay for when it comes to radar detectors so I don't know why you assume I disregarded that.
READ:
Quote:
Quote:
Seems like you live in Texas where you have to take a highway anytime you want to go somewhere, where I live I could spend a whole month and not even have to break 35mph. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on something that I won't use that often. Of course, some people always have to have the best, but not me.
So don't spend any money if you're going to buy something that won't save your ass when you do need it.

Quote:
Also, by your same logic, why don't you pony up for the Escort 9500ci instead of cheaping out on the $500 junk. Seems to be ~$2000 but you get what you pay for.
It's not just about money, it's also about quality and effectiveness. Cobras are crap. This snooty post you got to make here is my fault for not explaining the radar detectors quality\price, so I deserve it. That said, I'm not gonna waste time trying to help someone who doesn't want to be helped.
Appreciate 0