F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Leasing question -- Do these numbers look right?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Leasing question -- Do these numbers look right?

Hey guys, was wondering if you could help me out. Hope it's not sacrilege to post this here since it's not for a BMW.

I'm crunching some numbers on a lease for a Porsche Boxster S and can't figure out what numbers are accurate, even with the help of all of the online lease calculators. I used leaseguide.com/calc.htm, as well as Edmund's calculator, and the Bankrate.com calculator. LeaseGuide and Edmunds agree on the monthly price, but Bankrate says something different. I entered all of the same information in between all 3 of them so I'm not sure which one is accurate and thought perhaps one of you guys might know.

I'm crunching the numbers both with $0 down, as well as with $25K down. For $0 down, LeaseGuide and Edmunds give me a monthly payment of $1,279 including tax. But Bankrate says it would be $1,206. Not sure which is right.

Then for the $25K down, LeaseGuide and Edmunds both agree again, but I'm not sure they are right. Here's why: they say with $25K down, my payment would be $97/month. However, they both don't seem to account for tax on the $25K down, unless I'm missing something in the calculation. If they are taking that into account, GREAT, but I'm just not sure that they are.

Can anyone verify this? Here's the lease numbers. I'm trying to figure out what my monthly would be with $0 down and what it would be with $25K down.

MSRP: $77,660
Selling price: $71,201
Costs added: $1,548 (title, doc fee, acquisition fee)
Residual: $50,310
Money factor: 0.00200 / 4.8%
Term: 24 months
Sales tax: 8.35%

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just FYI: I'm not looking for advice about how I should buy instead of lease or that I should never put anything down on a lease, much less $25K. I'm aware of those concerns. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Why in the world would you even think of putting 25k down on a lease? that is beyond retarded. might as well finance the car. please tell me you are not putting anything more than 2k down.
      10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

For starters, not all lease calculators handle tax properly so that could be part of the issue.

Beyond that, there's no good reason to put that much money down on a lease. There are minimal benefits to be had prepaying a lease which is essentially what you're doing with this example. Hold onto your cash and put it to work for you rather than paying the bank to invest your money and keep the returns it generates.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Why in the world would you even think of putting 25k down on a lease? that is beyond retarded. might as well finance the car. please tell me you are not putting anything more than 2k down.
Heard the expression: more money than sense?
We've got a taker here!

Please, please tell me he won't go through with it.
      10-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Guys, as I said in my original post, I'm not looking for advice about whether or not I should put money down. It may make sense in my case and that's why I'm exploring it. I assure you that I've thought it through much more than you think I have.

Please let's just bring our attention to the numbers themselves instead of whether I should do it or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Guys, as I said in my original post, I'm not looking for advice about whether or not I should put money down. It may make sense in my case and that's why I'm exploring it. I assure you that I've thought it through much more than you think I have.

Please let's just bring our attention to the numbers themselves instead of whether I should do it or not.
Well, 2 of the 3 calculators you tried are in agreement. Just ignore the one that doesn't agree? Maybe try a few more and then take the weighted average? Do you really need it down to the gnat's ass?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
So you've thought through the fact that if you drive off the lot, get smashed into by a truck, that almost, if not all of that money would disappear right? I'm slightly confused as to how you've thought about that and didn't immediately stop in your tracks.

Unless your wages are being garnished and you're trying to hide the money in a car before the government takes it, or hide the money for some type of major tax writeoff, what you're trying to effectively do is a 1 payment lease where you pay for the entire lease up front and get rid of the monthly payment.

It sounds like you're just trying to do a single payment lease, in which case you should just talk to Porsche about how they'll handle it.

I also found this:

http://www.th**********calculator.com/

to be the best lease calculator as it allows you to more accurately break out the fees and line items. Usually the other sites are slightly off because certain fees and other items are assessed in a different order.
      10-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
So you've thought through the fact that if you drive off the lot, get smashed into by a truck, that almost, if not all of that money would disappear right?
My insurance will pay me back for it. It's a special type of coverage.

My wages aren't being garnished and I'm not trying to hide the money.

Can anyone just help me with the question I've asked instead of trying to showcase their superior intellect and trying to prove me wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My insurance will pay me back for it. It's a special type of coverage.

My wages aren't being garnished and I'm not trying to hide the money.

Can anyone just help me with the question I've asked instead of trying to showcase their superior intellect and trying to prove me wrong?
http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/c...e-payment.html

You've already expended more effort defending your opinion that it would have taken to answer the question yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
kokopuffs405
Yup
Rep
Drives: BMW?

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
why not do a one pay lease
      10-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I also found this:

http://www.th**********calculator.com/

to be the best lease calculator as it allows you to more accurately break out the fees and line items. Usually the other sites are slightly off because certain fees and other items are assessed in a different order.
That's very helpful actually! Thanks! According to that, and I think it's right, the monthly would be $194.13 with $25K due at signing, or $1,279.70 with $0 down.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
armanm
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport2015 535i M S

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Does the calculator that is off par weigh in the added costs to the lease because the leaseguide one has it but the first one does not, maybe thats the error?
Appreciate 0