F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 Drivetrain Malfunction - Related to BMS Stage 1 Tuning?
Studio RSR

08-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #45
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Do yall want to see a JB4 Stage 2 murder your DME while the harness and JB4 Stage 2 box is perfect. No ground sensor fault. The case was well protected and wrapped. Was not even dusty.

Sorry to thread jack but for all JB4 enthusiasts Stage 1 on the F30 is ok. I ran that for about 4 months then threw on the MPE and went Stage 2 tapping into 2 CAN wires per the instructions then this:

5 weeks of LIMP MODE!!!!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=997967

If my fiance was driving you bet your ass I am making the dealer prove their case.

Bottom line don't hate on BMS. Terry and Jon are good guys and take care of you if you simply relax. Imagine my situation 18k miles 335i SportLine brand new Michelin PSS XL's went up a size to fill the gap....threw on the gloss black M spoiler, gloss black M grill, gloss black whiskers to match, paint matched reflectors to the AW....and I was JUST about to get new wheels.

I don't blame BMS because these new F cars have DME's that are PITA from what I have been hearing from several BMW tuners both local and out of state.

Bottom line is this....want a fast car get an M line. If you want a 335i M sport to run like an M3 or M4 you bought the wrong car. Go look at a Vette Stingray, Cayman S, or the ISF if you like Toyotas.

Plus even my mildly modded sportline model F30 335i which comes with the M suspension package plus the tuned 14psi MAP2 I was running on the JB4 Stage 2 on the twin turbo inline 6, I still couldn't hang with a stock Cayman S.

He had me in the easy corners, the straights, the hair pins, no competition. Until we raced home....his top speed is in the 180s but takes a load of balls and stupidity to get up that speed. One thing I like about sedans versus coupes, our B pillars are our best friends.

Coupes you really have to know your surroundings and hope no bikes are around...in a sedan our B pillar is so tiny weaving is a breeze!

So in traffic I raped him by 12 minutes to dinner LOL.
but cayman S is like 20k $ more than 335i
which is M4 price.
      08-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #46
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Lol another clueless dealer bs.. wasn't programmed for wot.. lol gotta be one of the best I've heard so far. Do not let that dealer touch your car..
Ummm....and this I hope was not your service adviser that told you this. IF it is he was probably just new. The techs tell them what to say and if he still doesn't get it the service manager explains.

My cousin started as a SA and then became new car floor sales so he knew which cars commonly had what issues before the mfg warranty goes...lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #47
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
but cayman S is like 20k $ more than 335i
which is M4 price.
Depends what options you have besides the S trim level. I'm not familiar with Porsche maybe S could mean all the bells and whistles lol....

But my buddy's Cayman S he bought about 6 years ago was around $60 drive out he said. My new 2013 335i Sportline drive out was $40k even. Thank you family discount and thank you my last minute trade in....yeah needless to say that sales manager was fuming.

I went in there looking for a M sport 328i they upsold me to a fully loaded 335i come on!! It's a win win! They did not have one 328i M sport and I was not going to wait 4-6 months for a sight unseen German 4 banger turbo without driving one first.

It didn't work out. I didn't hate it but very VERY disappointed. 335i sportline with the M suspension is a little better but lacks power wish it had a few more ponies!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #48
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohms3 View Post
Got a drivetrain malfunction today on the way home. Car just shut off at 40mph, no power, no steering, dead. Coasted to a stop, tried restarting, it just sat there and cranked.

Took about 5 minutes of sitting on the side of the road then it restarted, drove in limp mode for about 3 minutes, then the car started jerking back and forth under light throttle, and shut down completely once again. Same thing, waited a few minutes, it restarted, drove home in limp mode.

I guess I'll take off the jb1 and take it to the dealer in the morning.
OMG thank goodness you and your car was ok. That is unbelievable. Mine still had power steering and power break. Just all gauges dropped to zero and all lighting was off except the radio LOL. Even the a/c was off how does that happen?!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #49
speedyvk
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford ST 2.5, 2013 F30 320i

removed BMS stage 2 this morning after almost one year driving...and dropped car at the dealer, got infamous drivetrain malfunction ... deleted all codes as well

I had drivetrain malfunction appear like 3 weeks ago, but quick shut off and on the car fix the problem, but yesterday on the way to work, it appeared and turning car off wasn't working anymore

after removing stage 2, deleting codes and reseting battery its all gone.. but I left car at bmw dealer anyway

so we will see what happens, should know answer later today..

by the way I have f30 320i, with bms stage 2, flex fuel wires and er downpipe

ps - downpipe still on the car

also got the codes from bms software : 120408 Reduced power mode
108A01 Map sensor, short circuit to B+
and 108A10 No Description Found

so hopefully nothing serious and ill get my car asap
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #50
speedyvk
Private
Rep

quick update, just got a call from bmw, they will replace map sensor and there r two other things they going to address ... not sure what exactly, something with engine water... can't be sure.. i already kinda forgot what it was, anyway.. they will give me loaner for few days.. i let u know what it was when i get my car back

hopefully can reinstall bms stage 2 and all good in the world again
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #51
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyvk View Post
removed BMS stage 2 this morning after almost one year driving...and dropped car at the dealer, got infamous drivetrain malfunction ... deleted all codes as well

I had drivetrain malfunction appear like 3 weeks ago, but quick shut off and on the car fix the problem, but yesterday on the way to work, it appeared and turning car off wasn't working anymore

after removing stage 2, deleting codes and reseting battery its all gone.. but I left car at bmw dealer anyway

so we will see what happens, should know answer later today..

by the way I have f30 320i, with bms stage 2, flex fuel wires and er downpipe

ps - downpipe still on the car

also got the codes from bms software : 120408 Reduced power mode
108A01 Map sensor, short circuit to B+
and 108A10 No Description Found

so hopefully nothing serious and ill get my car asap
Bad idea taking a modified car to a dealer. Next time read the specific codes and post them to n54tech's support forum for technical advice on what you should do.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:09 AM   #52
speedyvk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Bad idea taking a modified car to a dealer. Next time read the specific codes and post them to n54tech's support forum for technical advice on what you should do.

Mike
well obviously its not good idea, but i removed bms tune, down pipe removing every time i go to dealer and back on.. kinda not fun paying every time i do that

anyway... got 730D for 5 days ..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #53
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
well obviously its not good idea, but i removed bms tune, down pipe removing every time i go to dealer and back on.. kinda not fun paying every time i do that

anyway... got 730D for 5 days ..
I just send my car in with the tune on map 0... Dealer advise only to remove them if the car was sent in due to problems...

Anyway, regarding the drive train malfunction, does it go away after u restart the car a few times?

I always get the drive train malfunction whenever i disconnect or reconnect the JB4. However, it will go away after 1 or 2 restart.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #54
speedyvk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post
I just send my car in with the tune on map 0... Dealer advise only to remove them if the car was sent in due to problems...

Anyway, regarding the drive train malfunction, does it go away after u restart the car a few times?

I always get the drive train malfunction whenever i disconnect or reconnect the JB4. However, it will go away after 1 or 2 restart.
as far as i know if u get drivetrain malfunction you should go to dealer and have them look at the car, i believe some people on this forum had some things replaced... can't recall what...

basically it means something is wrong and doesn't necessarily mean its ur tune, just remove ur bms and go to dealer

For me when malefaction appeared second time it wouldn't go away and car was in limp mode while i was going to work, so it was obvious choice going to dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #55
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
as far as i know if u get drivetrain malfunction you should go to dealer and have them look at the car, i believe some people on this forum had some things replaced... can't recall what...

basically it means something is wrong and doesn't necessarily mean its ur tune, just remove ur bms and go to dealer

For me when malefaction appeared second time it wouldn't go away and car was in limp mode while i was going to work, so it was obvious choice going to dealer
Sometimes there is no need to go into the dealer at all. For my case. The drive train malfunction will always come on whenever the vacuum line is disconnected.it goes away with a restart or 2. Another time was after a car wash. Went away once the jb4 dried.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #56
speedyvk
Private
Rep

So, got my car back today after driving 7 series for a week. All good, no one said nothing about down pipe that i have... or mentioned about tune or anything like that.

They fixed map sensor - the reason i went to dealer in the first place, took almost a week to deliver.

Also they fixed something interesting.. well not exactly fix, they added a peace for the thing that moves pistons - his exact words, I'm assuming rod, they didn't replaced it just added something. it was factory defect or something like that.

Open the hood and all is greasy in oil... good job bmw, wasn't very happy about that

but apart form that all good
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #57
speedyvk
Private
Rep

so after a week i decided to put tune back on my car..
and guess what appered on my screen .. Drivetrain error.. bla bla bla

well at this point it seems like its tune or whatever its cossing this, cos nothing wrong with car.. also dont know why drivetrain error comes up since was driving like 8 month with it with no issues... anyway if you read this Mike hope u can help me out what to do

just to recap have 320i with er downpipe, and JB4 with flex fuel wires
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #58
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
so after a week i decided to put tune back on my car..
and guess what appered on my screen .. Drivetrain error.. bla bla bla

well at this point it seems like its tune or whatever its cossing this, cos nothing wrong with car.. also dont know why drivetrain error comes up since was driving like 8 month with it with no issues... anyway if you read this Mike hope u can help me out what to do

just to recap have 320i with er downpipe, and JB4 with flex fuel wires
I won't be much help but I would suggest you use the JB4 to read the code and email it in to BMS for technical support.

Mike
Appreciate 0