F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Coding: Someone permanently disabled Auto Stop/Start
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

05-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Cool Coding: Someone permanently disabled Auto Stop/Start

Only time ASS turns on is when you put it in ECOPRO mode. Just thought I'd let you guys know. I can't confirm it, I just read it.

I'm not gonna do it cos I like my ASS. But if anyone wants to take a stab at coding, let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c
Yes, you can change the default of the Auto Start/Stop to OFF. It will only turn ON by itself if you go to ECO Pro mode. Next time you start the car, A.S.S. will be OFF.

@DREAMCAR: Here are the settings for the spreadsheet:

MODULE: CAS
SECTION: 3000 TC
FUNCTION: TC_MSA_DEFAULT_OFF
NEW VALUE: aktiv
DEFAULT: nicht_aktiv
DESCRIPTION: Changes Auto Start/Stop default state to OFF

As everyone says, do it at your own risk... I already did this mod and it works as described.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

and it probably needs to be redone everytime the car goes in for service/the update it
      05-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
and it probably needs to be redone everytime the car goes in for service/the update it
Possibly. But it seems to be pretty easy to keep modding the code after an update. I come from some coding background, so it seems pretty easy to me. Just wanted to put it out there cos some folks here got pretty heated about this feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Only time ASS turns on is when you put it in ECOPRO mode. Just thought I'd let you guys know. I can't confirm it, I just read it.

I'm not gonna do it cos I like my ASS. But if anyone wants to take a stab at coding, let us know how it goes.
Yeah I've seen a couple of video's where they showed it was disabled. It's one of the things they can do on the F10 right now. From the looks of it, it should be fairly the same as on the F30. I already have the software but I still need to get me a cable (stupid connector is not being shipped to HI) so I can start coding on my F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Actually, if I read right, the reports on the F10's are that those who went into service and received an update, actually kept their own coded updates

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
utnuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Yeah I've seen a couple of video's where they showed it was disabled. It's one of the things they can do on the F10 right now. From the looks of it, it should be fairly the same as on the F30. I already have the software but I still need to get me a cable (stupid connector is not being shipped to HI) so I can start coding on my F30

Actually, if I read right, the reports on the F10's are that those who went into service and received an update, actually kept their own coded updates
Did you find the software on Usenet or elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
utnuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 A4

Cool

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it is just a matter of setting up the software, buying or building the cable using cat-5, connecting to your vehicle and editing module flags. Looks like the software essentially allows you to edit the registry (to use a windows term) of the vehicle. If the module flags are named the same as they are for the F10 then its just a matter of searching for them and changing them, a lot of the legwork has been done on the F10 forum already. No real coding experience necessary.

Once I have my 328i this fall I'll connect and play around with this. From the F10/11 coding options, the features I immediately see that I am interested in are:

Disabling ASS by default
Disabling DVD Speedlock
Closing windows + moon roof through Key Fob
Disable iDrive legal disclaimer during iDrive startup

On a serious note, anyone know if this could void warranties?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Any part you mod voids the warranty for that specific part. So if you mod on board computer and something goes wrong then its all on you. If you mod suspension and dampers go bad then thats all on you and so on.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

That's arguable for the software part, because you are not modding the computer or the software itself, just the settings. Besides the manufacturer has to prove a failure was because of a mod in order to refuse warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
ƒ°
Rep

I might do some of these mods on the 335i along with a buddy who's getting an F10 in a few months. If no one has attempted these tricks by then, I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
txnewbie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i soon

Could someone explain how coding works, or direct me to the old forum where it is laid out. Main questions are how do you physically connect to the system(what cables and where)? How do you interface with the system(what software can do it Mac or PC specific)? And is it simple to browse the settings or is it more like a DOS command based system where you have to know the right codes...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
Did you find the software on Usenet or elsewhere?
See the E90post coding section - http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it is just a matter of setting up the software, buying or building the cable using cat-5, connecting to your vehicle and editing module flags. Looks like the software essentially allows you to edit the registry (to use a windows term) of the vehicle. If the module flags are named the same as they are for the F10 then its just a matter of searching for them and changing them, a lot of the legwork has been done on the F10 forum already. No real coding experience necessary.

Once I have my 328i this fall I'll connect and play around with this. From the F10/11 coding options, the features I immediately see that I am interested in are:

Disabling ASS by default
Disabling DVD Speedlock
Closing windows + moon roof through Key Fob
Disable iDrive legal disclaimer during iDrive startup

On a serious note, anyone know if this could void warranties?
I should be on it in about two-three weeks. I am unable to receive the actual ODB2 connector myself (shipper doesn't want to ship to Hawaii (its send from China/HK by regular mail for crying out loud), ridiculous but that's a different story) but I have found someone on the mainland who can make the cable for me, only thing is, his connectors are in the mail too so I have to wait a couple of weeks, which is ok

The way I see it, it is indeed like how you described it. The code/settings must be about the same, I do not believe it's much off.

Besides the options you already said, I am also VERY interested in exploring other options.. like leaving my car cameras on, regardless of speed (unknown to me if they already found this option), or the temperature/pressure display of the tires (they found this). As for ASS, I don't mind that option so I probably just leave that as is (or maybe not, the setting is done in such a way that it remembers your last setting after engine shutdown, so if you want it on or off, just leave it on or off lol)

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnewbie View Post
Could someone explain how coding works, or direct me to the old forum where it is laid out. Main questions are how do you physically connect to the system(what cables and where)? How do you interface with the system(what software can do it Mac or PC specific)? And is it simple to browse the settings or is it more like a DOS command based system where you have to know the right codes...
See my post above

To connect you should use a ODB2 connector at your car's side, and a RJ45 (network cable) at your computer's side. The instructions for the cable is also found on those F10 forums.

It is PC software but I read somehting about people being able to use it through VM. I am unsure if you ever seen the registry in Windows computers, but that's a bit how it looks.. a kind of folder structure as you will. Most of the codes have already been found by our F10 friends so, I'm guessing, most of it will be made simple for us.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
newBMWfan
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury Line 8AT Xen

Would this cable

http://codecard.lt/electronics/tools.../prod_651.html

Be appropriate for the above mentioned actions?

If yes, would I need something else besides the cable, program and laptop?

Last edited by newBMWfan; 05-20-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
newBMWfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newBMWfan View Post
Would this cable

http://codecard.lt/electronics/tools.../prod_651.html

Be appropriate for the above mentioned actions?

If yes, would I need something else besides the cable, program and laptop?
Well, since nobady can confirm this, I'll just go ahead and spend 30 Euro for this cable, since I have a laptop and a software, it won't be much of a miss even if it doesn't succeed. I am not sorry for 30 Euro to disable the start/stop thing.

Will make a DIY if I succeed.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newBMWfan View Post
Well, since nobady can confirm this, I'll just go ahead and spend 30 Euro for this cable, since I have a laptop and a software, it won't be much of a miss even if it doesn't succeed. I am not sorry for 30 Euro to disable the start/stop thing.

Will make a DIY if I succeed.
Very good. I'm sure many will disable ASS if it doesn't require a degree in IT to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Very good. I'm sure many will disable ASS if it doesn't require a degree in IT to do it.
It's pretty darn simple actually (if you know the settings).. all you need to do is change some settings and most of the possibilities have already be found

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Any part you mod voids the warranty for that specific part. So if you mod on board computer and something goes wrong then its all on you. If you mod suspension and dampers go bad then thats all on you and so on.
on board computers are like $3,000+ from bmw. I had an accident not long ago and to get it totalled, the body shop said they will just say the computer needed to be replace for over $3,000
      05-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
newBMWfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
It's pretty darn simple actually (if you know the settings).. all you need to do is change some settings and most of the possibilities have already be found
Well, since I come from ICT industry, I know quite a bit how these thing are coded. It should be a breeze if the cable is the correct one.

I ordered the cable, we will find out in a couple of days

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
artin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

no need to go through all the hassle of trying to code it yourselves. just wana let you guys know i took my 328i to the dealership and they program it so the ASS default is off when you turn the car on and it doesn't effect your warranty in anyway because it isnt considered a mod, not to mention bmw authorizes this choice, so yeaaaaa
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread