F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > SDS Android Touch Screen
proTUNING Freaks

07-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

SDS Android Touch Screen

Hi there,

Not sure if anyone saw this, but looks like on AUG 10th, we can go to the dealer and ask for them to retrofit our screen to a 10.3 inch android powered screen for $1K.

Quote:
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Safe Drive Systems, the leading developer and distributor of advanced, active, auto safety technologies, will be exhibiting a large retrofit touch screen for BMWs at Bimmerfest East 2017.

The new ANDRO 10.3-inch anti-glare screen, which meets all BMW OEM quality requirements, is compatible with BMW 1/2/3/4 series models manufactured since 2013, as well as the new X1, which was introduced last year. It is specifically designed to replace older 6.5-inch legacy screens.

“This advanced, Android touch screen goes beyond industry standards by allowing the driver to connect to online music applications such as Apple Music and Spotify, as well as navigation systems such as Waze, among others, which can be downloaded anywhere,” notes SDS Vice- president Amir Weizer. “The screen affords a driving experience comparable to those featured by other leading luxury cars, such as Tesla, and, via its built-in USB port, can be connected to external devices that employ HD or other video formats,” Weizer adds. “And for BMW owners, what’s particularly important is that its installation does not compromise the car warranty in any way.”
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Retrofit-Touch

Product Page: http://safedrivesystems.com/bmw-andr...-touch-screen/

I wonder how this will stack up with the AVIN replacement currently available since its partnered with BMW. AVIN thread here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1374452
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

Yes I saw it , I contacted SDS on Facebook and happy to say the screen will also be available in Canada.

Just my opinion but if it is sold and installed directly at BMW dealers the quality and software must be top notch.

Avin screens seem to have had certain issues. All android screens are probably manufactured in China and some use different skins , but they all look the same to me.

So I am guessing SDS must of done something good software side for BMW to accept selling them.

Now I just need to find out what the cost price for me will be on this. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Whistlefist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

I'm hoping this is exactly what they claim, and not just another AVIN type of screen. If it is properly integrated into the car, with CD player functionality, Radio Functionality, memory button presets and everything like that all included in an android interface it will be awesome.

If its like AVIN and the other Chinese android screens where its basically 2 separate systems, stock iDrive and a separate Android, then it isn't even worth considering because of the price.

I'm hopeful, but weary of what this is at this point. They need to fully integrate the stock idrive and its functionality into this new interface, not just add onto it with another system.
Appreciate 1
awmenard142.00
      07-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I got a reply from SDS and they confirmed that the screen uses one interface that controls everything.

It?s sounding good so far. Did anyone at Bimmerfest East get a chance to see the unit ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post
I got a reply from SDS and they confirmed that the screen uses one interface that controls everything.

It?s sounding good so far. Did anyone at Bimmerfest East get a chance to see the unit ?
Awesome! Interested to see if it will allow full Google play store integration. My guess is that it'll be slim customization because I doubt BMW would support something that an average user might be able to booger up. Who knows.

Also be interested to know where it pulls it's data from. I wonder if it will be tied into BMW connected or if it'll let us hot spot from phone.

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
Whistlefist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

This is all I can find from the Bimmerfest Forums

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1032409

Looks exactly like the AVIN and other units as far as I can tell. Maybe some stuff is different, but you can clearly see the "Original Car" tile on the screen. Meaning that, like the AVIN, you would most likely need to switch interfaces back to the original iDrive for CD/Radio control.

They can say that it is all controlled by ONE screen. What my issue with this and any other Android based units is it seems to basically be a computer on top of another computer. Not one computer to control everything.

I'm not a software engineer, but I feel that there is a market for a headunit that has this functionality, screen and interface, that controls everything from one interface. I'm just not certain that BMW would allow this. I doubt they would like anything aftermarket sending commands back to the other control modules.

I was imagining a full replacement unit that takes all the stock inputs like GPS/Radio Antenna/preset buttons/USB/Aux, and has the ability to do what the stock radio can do in terms of interfacing with the other modules of the car like TPMS/Heads Up Display/Instrument Cluster/so on.

For 1000 dollars, it doesn't seem like its worth it but I would still like more information before making a final decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Pr3dict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 340

It probably works off your phone to get the connection. I cant be sure but a part of me thinks its just like the connected app where it is integrating some of the apps of the Idrive with your phone. Kinda like how you get a spotify button on the media menu sometimes. Now it would have a waze button and weather channel also?

The website looks a little finicky. Like when clicking the facebook icon on the bottom left it doesnt go to facebook. I could be wrong and I hope I am but this doesnt seem to be toooooooo legit.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
I played with it at BimmerFest, Its a nice concept but i personally dont like it because it will still incorparate the old CIC interface

Appreciate 1
awmenard142.00
      08-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
I played with it at BimmerFest, Its a nice concept but i personally dont like it because it will still incorparate the old CIC interface

Would you say it's a good PNP option for those with CIC?

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Would you say it's a good PNP option for those with CIC?

I honestly don't think so, because I'm not sure about the compatibility with my HUD. Also, it looks way too big and out of place installed in the car

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
veloarc75
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 320d

Any update on this screen? Did sale start today?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloarc75 View Post

Tried to purchase today....sales rep has to "check on it". They don't know what's going on. Tried to have me call my local dealer, but couldn't say whether the dealer would even know what I was talking about...not a very good launch/release...

EDIT: Called my local dealers, as I suspected, no clue what I was talking about. Also sent an email to Jason at GetBMWParts.com....was the first he's heard of it as well...

Last edited by ronanz; 08-10-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #13
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloarc75 View Post

Tried to purchase today....sales rep has to "check on it". They don't know what's going on. Tried to have me call my local dealer, but couldn't say whether the dealer would even know what I was talking about...not a very good launch/release...

Did you try contacting SDS directly? I tried looking for a video on YouTube and nothing available as of yet.

You'd figure they would post something.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post
Did you try contacting SDS directly? I tried looking for a video on YouTube and nothing available as of yet.

You'd figure they would post something.

Yes....first part of my sentence...

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #15
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

I have to be a little suspicious of any company with a section on its website that says "Why choose us?" and displays the logos of several TV networks and news organizations.

When you click through, it shows that the "story" on the news outlet's website is just the Business Wire press release. Business Wire is a PR outfit that spams newsrooms with press releases, some of which make it onto the sites. The company implies some sort of endorsement, but none of the places that published the press release actually reviewed the product.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

a little disappointing start here...
Appreciate 1
ronanz1819.50
      08-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
veloarc75
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
a little disappointing start here...
Yea it really is disappointing, there wasn't much info before release, only 1 picture, and still no info although its "released"
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #18
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep

Just spoke with Sales Rep at SDS, they state retro fit won't be released until they figure out their "supplier" issues...they went more in-depth, but in a nutshell, their "Press" release was premature as they and their supplier are not ready.

Appreciate 2
      08-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #19
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlefist View Post

Looks exactly like the AVIN and other units as far as I can tell. Maybe some stuff is different, but you can clearly see the "Original Car" tile on the screen. Meaning that, like the AVIN, you would most likely need to switch interfaces back to the original iDrive for CD/Radio control.

They can say that it is all controlled by ONE screen. What my issue with this and any other Android based units is it seems to basically be a computer on top of another computer. Not one computer to control everything.

I'm not a software engineer, but I feel that there is a market for a headunit that has this functionality, screen and interface, that controls everything from one interface. I'm just not certain that BMW would allow this. I doubt they would like anything aftermarket sending commands back to the other control modules.

I was imagining a full replacement unit that takes all the stock inputs like GPS/Radio Antenna/preset buttons/USB/Aux, and has the ability to do what the stock radio can do in terms of interfacing with the other modules of the car like TPMS/Heads Up Display/Instrument Cluster/so on.

For 1000 dollars, it doesn't seem like its worth it but I would still like more information before making a final decision.
with the latest build update I have for my Avin unit, those two top level screens look EXACTLY the same! Looks like they are reselling the same unit for but a LOT more money!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
veloarc75
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlefist View Post

with the latest build update I have for my Avin unit, those two top level screens look EXACTLY the same! Looks like they are reselling the same unit for but a LOT more money!
If i'm really able to install it at bmw dealership and keep my warranty i'll give them that extra money
Appreciate 1
awmenard142.00
      08-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I emailed them as well, and a rep called me. He wanted to talk about their aftermarket radar system, and even though I asked about the display, continued to talk about their radar system.

I asked to be sent specs, info, and hard data on their DISPLAY and he said he would email me the info. Shortly, I got an email about their radar system, that was a PDF of the same info they have on their website. (sense a theme here?)

Just really interesting.. maybe they really are different and are newer/better/faster, but time will tell. If they are selling the same system as Avin (and yes, others) for essentially 50% more plus a $120 install, they are out of their heads for even a slightly educated consumer.
Appreciate 0