F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Retrofit comfort access?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #111
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Great.. this is HUGE - the fact that it doesn't complain about all the extra missing antenna's etc... This was one of the big hurdles I was worried about. It will definitely save $$$ not having to buy all that extra un necessary hardware...
Yes, it is. We still need to figure out the wire from the locking mechanism that goes into FEM. Ones we have that I think we can give this a try. Also what I found in Rheingold on repairing the locking mechanism is that we will need this special tool.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #112
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

I found the pin out for each connector in FEM but I found only 4 wires that are listed concerning driver's lock. I have 5 wires but I am sure 1 is ground so maybe this is why I only 4 listed. I took pics of all the pins for you guys to review since I am not seeing anything extra. Sorry some are crammed but I was trying to get each connector in one image instead of breaking them down in multiple.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #113
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just realized that the locking mechanism connector is actually 8 pin not 7. I guess I found one of the wires from pin 2 that goes into FEM. Originally i had thought that is that extra cable but it is not. I found the pin out for the 5 cables that I have on my locking mechanism. The 2 cables that are in pin 4 and 5 are some kind of hall sensors but I am not sure how they integrated with CA. To know for sure if new mechanism is needed someone with a CA to open their door and find out how many cables they have on their locking mechanism.

On a side note I found what the abbreviation for the colors of the wires.
Attached Images

Last edited by f30GTR; 04-12-2015 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #114
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

The last piece that I had a concern about is the wiring to the antenna and I think I figured it out. Based on all the info I found I know which cables goes into which pin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #115
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Guys, I think we can put this to bed. I've received driver wiring harness 61 12 9 313 629 which supposedly has the comfort access pre-wired but unfortunately it does not. It is the same wiring harness that is in my car. It only contains wiring for handle led, locking mechanism, window motor, speaker and tweeter. Without the proper harness in the doors this would be really hard to retrofit. There is always a chance of finding a harness at a junk yard but the chance of that is slim. Since we don't know the part number for the harness this would be hard to retrofit. At least we tried. Thanks to all who contributed and tried to make this happen. It was fun experimenting.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #116
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

This is not over This is just the end of chap 1, but your excellent work will just become the foundation for the next step. Unfortunately, i'm mired in the middle of my own projects (quad bi-xenon retrofit), and then i've got a PDC rear retrofit, reversing camera retrofit, then PDC front retrofit projects on the back burner after that. Otherwise, i would probably jump into the fray.

But i'm sure some enterprising person will some extra time on their hands will pick this up a little bit down the road and run with it. Thanks for laying the ground work f30GTR! You probably feel like you didn't succeed, but i can assure you this is not the end. Just wanted to thank you on behalf of the F30 community for your valuable contributions thus far, and i'm sure this is not the last we will hear from you... about CA. Not in a long shot
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #117
thelord-akira
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR View Post
Guys, I think we can put this to bed. I've received driver wiring harness 61 12 9 313 629 which supposedly has the comfort access pre-wired but unfortunately it does not. It is the same wiring harness that is in my car. It only contains wiring for handle led, locking mechanism, window motor, speaker and tweeter. Without the proper harness in the doors this would be really hard to retrofit. There is always a chance of finding a harness at a junk yard but the chance of that is slim. Since we don't know the part number for the harness this would be hard to retrofit. At least we tried. Thanks to all who contributed and tried to make this happen. It was fun experimenting.
Hi,

you need these wiring harnesses

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #118
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord-akira View Post
Hi,

you need these wiring harnesses

Do you know for sure? I mean buying them and returning isn't cheap way to find out if it has the wiring for comfort access.
Is that the wiring you have in your door and you have comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #119
hrvojehk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Do you know for sure? I mean buying them and returning isn't cheap way to find out if it has the wiring for comfort access.
I have the following wiring harnesses in my doors:
  • 61129259992 Right
  • 61129259975 Left

My car has Comfort Access, Surround view, Light package and Interior/outside mirror with auto dip.

Last edited by hrvojehk; 05-29-2015 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #120
thelord-akira
Rep

Quote:
I ordered them (both) to retrofit mirror folding. Both has got an additional plug, you posted above.

I dont know if 61129259992 will work. I think no, because it is for normal mirros (check ETK).
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #121
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord-akira View Post
I ordered them (both) to retrofit mirror folding. Both has got an additional plug, you posted above.

I dont know if 61129259992 will work. I think no, because it is for normal mirros (check ETK).
Do you have picture of the harness or did you already complete your retrofit project and the harness is installed in your door? Thanks for all the info guys. I might consider this project ones again but we will see. Not enough time to work on this right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #122
thelord-akira
Rep

Quote:
Do you have picture of the harness or did you already complete your retrofit project and the harness is installed in your door? Thanks for all the info guys. I might consider this project ones again but we will see. Not enough time to work on this right now.
Hi,
sry completed. My harness had an additional plug at the end. I had nothing to connect to that plug, because I do not have comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #123
oorlando
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Some really good info here, actually the best I've found. I have a 2013 e92 and been wanting to do this for the longest but cannot find any concrete information.

Did you already accomplish getting CA. I'm only looking to get keyless start, have no clue where to start. I know I will need new fobs and maybe a CA module?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #124
gribouille1210
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 430D M performance

Hello everyone,
i have a f32 and i have added harness for option confort access 322.
i have added option with ESYS and i have coded ECU:
FEM BODY
HU NBT
KOMBI

But nothing works!!
Can you tell me if i have to code another ECU because i don't know which.

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 01:27 AM   #125
Kins
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320Li

So far as I know, there is someone already retrofitted CA in China. But it cost him over $4000 as he said.

Maybe it would be much cheaper ordering parts out of China.

My F35 was without CA and I'm really want it retrofitted too...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #126
Mewp
Rep
Drives: F32

I'd like to revisit this. I'm not convinced the locking mechanism needs to be replaced and wired. I entered my car into real OEM and exactly one "system latch" is listed as part of the assembly for each door. One of them is part # 51217229458, and that shows up in the assembly linked earlier for a 3-series, however in that listing it's showing "S322A=No." I know for a fact my model supports comfort access, so either real OEM is not listing a comfort access latch for the 4 series (I couldn't find any other ones for my model at real OEM or a BMW dealership parts database), or the comfort access compatibility listings on the 3-series locking mechanisms are erroneous or irrelevant.

Furthermore, reading the description of how the keyless entry works from the last image in this post, all of the locking mechanisms should already be in some way wired into the FEM. From that description, the FEM controls the unlocking so if the locking mechanisms weren't already connected somehow, how could keyless entry work? Keyless entry (and ignition) also means that many (if not all) of the necessary antennas are in place (and earlier pictures in this thread seem to support that), otherwise those features couldn't work.

So unless I'm way off base, it's looking like to get comfort access handles to work, you need new door handles and then run a bit of wire. You don't need to buy an entirely new wire harness for the whole door, just make some custom cables. It needs the proper connector to plug into the extra 4-pin socket on the new handle, and 3 wires: power (pin 4), ground (pin 3), and the "touch" signal (pin 1). That's based off the wiring diagram shown here labeled "FEM - Connector A173*3B" (NOTE: the pinouts indicate that the CA signals from the handles need to be wired to A173*9B, and that's true. If you look closely at the A173*3B image, both of the handle wires for pin 1 are routed to A173*9B).

It looks like pins 1 & 4 from the handles route to pins 23 & 24 in the door connectors as has been previously mentioned. f30GTR said he lacks wires in those slots, and that's what the 2 wires from the door handle would plug into so that's fine. The showstopper is going to be the socket that the door connector plugs into. It's going to need physical pins sticking out to slide into slot 23 & 24 of the door connector. If that socket doesn't have those pins, then it's game over. If it does, then game on. Then it's a matter of checking if there's wires going from that socket to the FEM and adding them if they're not.

The remaining question I have is: where do the ground wires for the door handles route to? What are X108*1V and X49*1V and where are they located?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #127
primetyme941
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

Any progress made in regards to this? Has anyone gotten a quote from their dealer for the CA with just the driver door handle? If not I'm taking mine in for service in the next few weeks and I'll ask them to see what they say. I'm guessing they'll tell me I need to do full retro..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #128
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

I wonder for those who have the CA, can add the front door handles to the rear doors and have all 4 doors with keyless opening.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #129
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys
Just wanted to chime in again. I've completely dropped this project because it's winter here in Chicago and I've been traveling too much for work. To clear things up from what I had found CA is possible. Here is the list of what you will need.
2 door handles - driver and passenger
2 external antennas (you need these because the internal antennas range is too short. That is the reason why BMW installed them in the side skirts. If you decide to not to get the external antennas and just want to test you can accomplish this by leaving the key in the car in your cup holder that way the internal antennas actually detect the key. And test door handle from outside obviously.)
wiring from each door handle and 2 external antennas ALL the way to FEM plus 18 pin cartridge connector.

You can make your life easier by purchasing a new door harness which includes the wiring from the door handle (including water proof plug) all the way to the chassis. I know it's only 2 cables but if you decide to make the wiring yourself now you have to source the water from plug which I was never able to find and wire pins. The wire pins can be figured by trial and error or just buy every BMW pin available. If you buy brand new wiring harness now you have to run cables from the side of the footwell to FEM and wires from external antennas to FEM. You still need the metal pins to solder to the wires. 18 pin cartridge for FEM plug can be found here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=287
And lastly you need VO CA. That should take care of it. I didn't confirm 100% if FEM complains if the tailgate module is missing. So there is a good chance when someone gets this done for driver and passenger doors FEM might complain that tailgate module is missing. At that point you either have to invest in completing the retrofit or just not care about FEM complaining but dealer might have an issue with that. Just FYI tailgate module, motion sensor and trunk mechanism are handle by REM. We would only VO FEM for CA and not REM. If we VO REM I am sure REM would complain about tailgate.

Also in this post i had verified that no wiring for CA is prewired in our cars.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=59
No extra pins are left on the connector of the chassis where the door connector connects. So you will need both male and female metal pins to complete this.

If someone wants to complete the whole CA including the tailgate you will need new locking mechanism for the trunk. Module for tailgate and tailgate motion sensor for under the car.

I hope i didn't make this post too negative or to try to deter any from doing this retrofit. From the info that i had found this can definitely be done but it will take some determination and good skills and of course some trial and error.

Last edited by f30GTR; 02-10-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #130
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewp View Post
I'd like to revisit this. I'm not convinced the locking mechanism needs to be replaced and wired. I entered my car into real OEM and exactly one "system latch" is listed as part of the assembly for each door. One of them is part # 51217229458, and that shows up in the assembly linked earlier for a 3-series, however in that listing it's showing "S322A=No." I know for a fact my model supports comfort access, so either real OEM is not listing a comfort access latch for the 4 series (I couldn't find any other ones for my model at real OEM or a BMW dealership parts database), or the comfort access compatibility listings on the 3-series locking mechanisms are erroneous or irrelevant.

Furthermore, reading the description of how the keyless entry works from the last image in this post, all of the locking mechanisms should already be in some way wired into the FEM. From that description, the FEM controls the unlocking so if the locking mechanisms weren't already connected somehow, how could keyless entry work? Keyless entry (and ignition) also means that many (if not all) of the necessary antennas are in place (and earlier pictures in this thread seem to support that), otherwise those features couldn't work.

So unless I'm way off base, it's looking like to get comfort access handles to work, you need new door handles and then run a bit of wire. You don't need to buy an entirely new wire harness for the whole door, just make some custom cables. It needs the proper connector to plug into the extra 4-pin socket on the new handle, and 3 wires: power (pin 4), ground (pin 3), and the "touch" signal (pin 1). That's based off the wiring diagram shown here labeled "FEM - Connector A173*3B" (NOTE: the pinouts indicate that the CA signals from the handles need to be wired to A173*9B, and that's true. If you look closely at the A173*3B image, both of the handle wires for pin 1 are routed to A173*9B).

It looks like pins 1 & 4 from the handles route to pins 23 & 24 in the door connectors as has been previously mentioned. f30GTR said he lacks wires in those slots, and that's what the 2 wires from the door handle would plug into so that's fine. The showstopper is going to be the socket that the door connector plugs into. It's going to need physical pins sticking out to slide into slot 23 & 24 of the door connector. If that socket doesn't have those pins, then it's game over. If it does, then game on. Then it's a matter of checking if there's wires going from that socket to the FEM and adding them if they're not.

The remaining question I have is: where do the ground wires for the door handles route to? What are X108*1V and X49*1V and where are they located?
X49*V is plug for the windows motor. X108*1V is referred to as the whole harness before it starts to break out towards windows motor, locking mechanism, handle led and CA handle.
Ground is on pin 3 on the door handle itself and goes into pin 31 on connector X108*V1. The original BMW harness takes ground from the door handle and goes into locking mechanism. The locking mechanism shares the ground. Everything in the door use 1 common ground and goes into pin 31.
I hope this makes sense. Mewp if you have the Rheingold software you can figure out the whole wiring. Actually if you are about to try this I would not proceed without Rheingold.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #131
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

I will be attempting this soon.
Has anyone been able to find the right plug for the door handle?
Attached Images

03-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #132
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedchung View Post
I will be attempting this soon.
Has anyone been able to find the right plug for the door handle?
No, that's where the harness from bmw that has the wiring and the plug would be required.
Appreciate 0