F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What is your next car?
Studio RSR

05-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #133
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateredlight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
We are talking about some great cars here and my mouth is drooling. I drive a 328i ...2.5 years left till I get done with my loan...but I test drove the new Kia stinger not a bad car at all apart from the fact that it is a Kia.any thoughts?
Wow, there actually is a guy who wants to go from a BMW to a KIA. Worlds going to hell in a hand basket!
The Kia stinger is 2 tons of sinewy Korean muscle. Drive the stinger around town and the men will want to be you, and the ladies....well, let's just say they might need a change of panties after you drive by..
you must be sarcastic with that "change of panties" comment lol.
Yeah, there was a dose of tongue-in-cheek there. . In reality most women don't care enough about cars to notice, or care, what guys are driving. There are women car enthusiasts of course, but they're more likely to be intrigued by the actual car itself rather than the driver.

As for the stinger itself, it's encouraging that kia is releasing a new performance oriented car instead of yet another uninspired suv intended to fit a niche somewhere between the other 27 suv models in the line up. What other non-exotic brand is releasing a new performance model? I think they deserve props for that alone. I don't know if I'd get one, but it's worth a test drive.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #134
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

I love my 2015 335i I've been driving the last 5 months, but was driving an SUV for several years prior, the last being a Subaru Forrester XT. I'm finding, while I love the 335i driving performance, I miss the SUV higher driving position. My wife has a 2018 X1 and I find myself wanting to drive her car more.

So for my next car, I'm looking at a BMW X3.

Prior BMW's: 2015 228i (European Delivery), 1975 2002
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #135
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Probably a LCI G20 M340i or an M3 if I can afford it
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #136
sfview
Rep
Drives: Alfa Giulia Quad

Doing the big switch from planned 440 or M3 to an Alfa Giulia Quad. They tell me it's on the boat. I think it's my Aprilia Tuono - also Italian - that made me do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #137
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Porsche 718 Cayman, Corvette if I trade my GC in; the X3/ X3M if we trade wife's X3 in.
      05-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #138
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In all seriousness, I believe Kia intended for the stinger to compete most directly with the 4 series gc and audi sportback. It is a bit larger than those cars but smaller than the 5 series.

The other car that gets mentioned a lot in car guy circles, the Chevy ss, aka Holden Commodore, is more similar to a 5 series.
The SS would be on my list if they still made the damn thing........
      05-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #139
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Not in the market until my 340i becomes to costly to keep running so whatever I look at doesn't exist at the moment
If my 340i did suddenly go I'll most likely get a alfa guilla or the m240i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #140
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Quote:
In all seriousness, I believe Kia intended for the stinger to compete most directly with the 4 series gc and audi sportback. It is a bit larger than those cars but smaller than the 5 series.

The other car that gets mentioned a lot in car guy circles, the Chevy ss, aka Holden Commodore, is more similar to a 5 series.
The SS would be on my list if they still made the damn thing........
You can still find the ss in almost new condition (under 3000 miles), and plenty of gently used ones. The one problem I've noticed while browsing the Chevy ss forums, though, is that some parts are already difficult to source should you need body work done. The Chevy ss (US spec) is a mix of GM parts, Holden parts, and parts that Holden made specifically to meet US specs (tail lights, some body panels etc). It's the latter parts that are the issue since the Holden plant is closed, and the US spec ss was relatively limited production.

I love the idea of the car, because it's essentially a sport tuned family sedan with a big ole 6.2L LS3 under the hood. I used to roll the windows down whenever I started it up just to hear that big v8 roar to life. It's a sound best described as pure testosterone. Ladies not ready for a family will need to be cautious of standing too close to the exhaust, because I hear it can render birth control medications ineffective.

Of course it's not the perfect car though. It didn't feel quite as powerful or sporty as the numbers suggest. Don't get me wrong, it's a quick car, but the auto transmission held it back a little imo. Even with the shifter in sport, it seemed quick to shift, instead of holding the gear longer and letting the ls3 play it's music. The auto is solid but it's not in the same league as the zf8 in the bmws. In manual mode, it was better, but was still a little slow to downshift even when using the paddles. Manual mode was the best way to wake the car up though (when equipped with the 6sp auto). This is a case where I think you need the manual tranny to have the best experience with this car, and the manuals can be more difficult to find. When you do find one with a stick, it's listed for nearly what they were brand new.

The chassis has a generally composed, relaxed feel. It handles competently, but you do feel it's size on a windy backroad or while changing lanes on the freeway. If you're used to driving a 3/4 series, the ss will feel big, even though a 335/340/440i etc isn't that much lighter, especially with xdrive. The bmws just have a more playful, tossable feeling chassis. The ss feels more like a big muscle car that handles well, but a big car none the less (it is, after all, a big car).

I understand the appeal though. Im still tossing around the idea of grabbing another while they're available. Just be extra careful of those tail lights, and whatever other parts that'll be difficult to source.
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      05-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #141
Perseus83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 VW GLI

I had a 2007 335xi (which was my first BMW) and I loved it.

For some reason I left BMW and went to Lexus... I currently lease a 2016 IS350, and the lease expires at the end of the year.

I'm itching so badly to go back to BMW and my next car will likely be a 2018 340i xDrive. I'm itching enough that I'm tempted to get the 340 now and just carry both cars until the end of the year, or see if Lexus will take it back early (they might).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #142
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can still find the ss in almost new condition (under 3000 miles), and plenty of gently used ones. The one problem I've noticed while browsing the Chevy ss forums, though, is that some parts are already difficult to source should you need body work done. The Chevy ss (US spec) is a mix of GM parts, Holden parts, and parts that Holden made specifically to meet US specs (tail lights, some body panels etc). It's the latter parts that are the issue since the Holden plant is closed, and the US spec ss was relatively limited production.

I love the idea of the car, because it's essentially a sport tuned family sedan with a big ole 6.2L LS3 under the hood. I used to roll the windows down whenever I started it up just to hear that big v8 roar to life. It's a sound best described as pure testosterone. Ladies not ready for a family will need to be cautious of standing too close to the exhaust, because I hear it can render birth control medications ineffective.

Of course it's not the perfect car though. It didn't feel quite as powerful or sporty as the numbers suggest. Don't get me wrong, it's a quick car, but the auto transmission held it back a little imo. Even with the shifter in sport, it seemed quick to shift, instead of holding the gear longer and letting the ls3 play it's music. The auto is solid but it's not in the same league as the zf8 in the bmws. In manual mode, it was better, but was still a little slow to downshift even when using the paddles. Manual mode was the best way to wake the car up though (when equipped with the 6sp auto). This is a case where I think you need the manual tranny to have the best experience with this car, and the manuals can be more difficult to find. When you do find one with a stick, it's listed for nearly what they were brand new.

The chassis has a generally composed, relaxed feel. It handles competently, but you do feel it's size on a windy backroad or while changing lanes on the freeway. If you're used to driving a 3/4 series, the ss will feel big, even though a 335/340/440i etc isn't that much lighter, especially with xdrive. The bmws just have a more playful, tossable feeling chassis. The ss feels more like a big muscle car that handles well, but a big car none the less (it is, after all, a big car).

I understand the appeal though. Im still tossing around the idea of grabbing another while they're available. Just be extra careful of those tail lights, and whatever other parts that'll be difficult to source.
I had seen sticks back in March 2017 when they were practically giving them away with discounts. Missed the boat then unfortunately. Nothing is big after driving my '96 Impala lol. I look for the cars occasionally but no MTs lately.
      05-24-2018, 03:47 AM   #143
Paul Blart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
2007 X5 (35i) was purchased new (wife's car). She didn't drive it much, but all maintenance was done. At around 25k miles, she was driving and there was a loud bang and the engine just died. Guessing a thrown rod. Since it was out of warranty, BMW here quoted $6k just to pull and inspect the engine to see what was wrong. Really turned her off so we ended up selling the car for cheap (to someone who was probably able to fix it himself for almost nothing). Never found out what was wrong, but saw it driving about a month later.

2008 BMW 335i (e90) - HPFP issue. Engine cut out on the freeway, not fun. Car was only 6 months old. No other issues after that. Great car.

2008 BMW M6 (e63) - Bought used. Had about 45k on it when something failed, flooding the engine with fuel. Fortunately it was under warranty so everything was fixed. Not cool though.

2014 BMW 335i (F30) (current car) - Bought this one new as a custom build. It has been nothing but trouble. Charge pipe failure 3 times. Twice while accelerating on the freeway. Also had an oil leak which was not fixed properly (took it in 3 times total). Leaked oil damaged one of the belts, causing it to weaken and snap while driving, completely losing power. BMW ended up replacing pretty much all the hoses/gaskets and a bunch of other minor things (again around 45k miles). Got an extended warranty on this one so I have a couple more years on it.

My wife got a 2013 Lexus RX to replace her X5 (ironically two weeks after my 335i was delivered). She has had zero issues with it so far, compared to mine having to be towed once or twice a year. If you get the upgrades on the Lexus, the interior is far and above all but the best BMW has to offer. The seats are comparable to the luxury seats I had on my M6, so comfortable, and have heating and cooling. Drives pretty great as well. As I and others have mentioned though, the computer system is absolutely horrendous.
Sorry to hear you’ve had so much trouble with the 335i. My wife drives the rx350 f sport crafted line and adores her car. The 8 speed transmission is pretty decent for a slushbox. The Rx350 is not only bullet proof, but as far as I know, there have been no fatalities to date in NA. It has a cult following too.

When I started car shopping 2 months back, I looked at some loaded GS350’s for myself, but I must have a 6mt no compromises! I wound up with a 335i m sport with under 2k Miles on it cpo. So that is my “next car” lol. I’ll be buying he extended warranty soon for peace of mind.
      05-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #144
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I'm 58 and would like to retire before I'm 67, so my next car will be inexpensive - something that's reliable and relatively cheap to maintain.

I've had a Honda Civic for 2 years, and the only thing I've had to do is change the oil.

Unfortunately, my BMW Service Adviser know each other on a first name basis. I wish BMW quality would improve, because I LOVE my BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #145
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

Going to stick it out with the F31 for as long as I can...she's a good ride and optioned just perfectly. Hopefully another 5-7 years.

After that? E63 AMG wagon or similar. Want to stick with a wagon but need moar powwwwaaa.
      05-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #146
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I'm very interested in the new 365hp 4door 2series Gran Coupe that's scheduled to come out... I think it will be the perfect practical car we've been hoping for... It will be just about that time for me to get a new car when it does...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #147
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad karma View Post
Going to stick it out with the F31 for as long as I can...she's a good ride and optioned just perfectly. Hopefully another 5-7 years.
I've decided I'll probably keep my F31 335i for as long as it doesn't have major reliability issues. It's worth next to nothing as a trade by the time I'm ready for a new car, so I'll keep it.

My next purchase is likely to be all-EV for daily commuting, with the F31 for long-haul trips and load-carrying utility. A much more attractive looking i3 M-Sport would fit the bill nicely.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #148
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I was in a rut of not being happy with my car for a bit, but that's passed. I'm still tempted to buy it out, throw the MPPSK on it, and drive it till it dies. Mostly to avoid having to make a decision. If Trump's trade-war results in German car tariffs, that's exactly what I'll do.
What does "die" mean? As long as you're willing to spend more than the car is worth in $ and spend a lot of time going to the mechanic or doing work yourself, it will go forever.

If the car is worth $5K and you get hit with a job that costs $5K, would that be acceptable?

I have extended warranty and maintenance to 100K and I don't want to own it after that because of the above-mentioned questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #149
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

12 payments left on my 330e lease. And I have no clue what I want! Is it too early to start test driving?

Top picks that come to mind: 530e, 540i, 640i GT, X3 M40i, X4 M40i, Jaguar F-Type, A4/S4/A5/S5 Sportback, Q5/SQ5, Volvo S90/V90CC

I've quite enjoyed having RWD, even in the winter. SUVs just seem so numb. I love having a PHEV but there just are not many options out there. Will probably have to switch back to all gas unless I can find a good 530e deal. The perfect car would be a Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid but I can't afford that
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #150
rgmichell
United_States
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

NOT THE TESLA MODEL 3!
Just saw first Model 3 in the flesh today!
BMW has nothing to worry about!
Attached Images

Last edited by rgmichell; 05-30-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #151
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstar View Post

For some reason I left BMW and went to Lexus... I currently lease a 2016 IS350, and the lease expires at the end of the year.

I'm itching so badly to go back to BMW and my next car will likely be a 2018 340i xDrive. I'm itching enough that I'm tempted to get the 340 now and just carry both cars until the end of the year, or see if Lexus will take it back early (they might).
Mind if I ask why you want to move away from the IS350 so badly?
      05-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #152
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstar View Post

Keep in mind F30 is in production only until 10/18. After that it's G20 and according to rumor M340i will have a delayed introduction, not until spring next year. So if you're happy with the F30, you might want to ask your dealer when is the last month he'll take an order. Or I'm sure there will be some on the lot even after the G20 is introduced probably with killer deals, but you may have to compromise with the colors/options.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #153
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Contemplating selling the NSX and getting a used Toyota Tacoma and one of these.....

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 05-28-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:28 AM   #154
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
M2 competition or F80 M3
Appreciate 0