F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Xdrive...will launching at 6k rpm harm drivetrain?
ARMA SPEED

06-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Xdrive...will launching at 6k rpm harm drivetrain?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I'm really enjoying the xdrive experience in that I don't just sit there burning through first and second gears like my old RWD 335i. I routinely drop the clutch at 6k rpm and boy does this car take off like a bat out of hell. Question is will it likely break anything in the long run?

Last edited by avantix; 06-30-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
So I'm really enjoying the xdrive experience in that I don't just sit there burning through first and second gears like my old RWD 335i. I routinely drop the clutch at 6k rpm and boy does this car take off like a bat out of hell. Question is will it likely break anything in the long run?
Is this a joke or a serious question?

If this is a serious question, you probably should've stuck to an automatic. 2014 AT's come with launch control, even better
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post

If this is a serious question, you probably should've stuck to an automatic. 2014 AT's come with launch control, even better
Why don't you keep your pointless comments and suggestions to yourself?
      06-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
In first gear? Are you slipping the clutch, or dumping it?

Regardless, yes, you will break stuff. She's not made for that treatment.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Hell yes, you'll break something - the clutch, u-joints, rear axle...the car was not made to take that kind of abuse.

I gotta wonder sometimes...

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
In first gear? Are you slipping the clutch, or dumping it?

Regardless, yes, you will break stuff. She's not made for that treatment.

Matt
First gear, no riding just dumping it. Obviously I wouldn't do this on a daily basis but purely at the track on quarter mile timed runs.
      06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

So assuming a u-joint breaks or worst case a flywheel or axle is it possible that the dealer can pinpoint it to high rpm launch on a leased vehicle?
      06-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Yes.
      06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

If you own your car I would stop dumping your clutch at 6K, your putting alot of strain on all of the power train system (Clutch, transmission, XDrive system). I mean you have a warranty, but no car deserves or can with stand that kind of abuse. I would also get an extended warranty to cover the car later on down the road. BMW will mostly know what you have been doing so i dont know what else to tell you. You can keep dumping the clutch at 6K and see what happens .

Last edited by 1987E30M3; 06-25-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Why don't you keep your pointless comments and suggestions to yourself?
Quote:
First gear, no riding just dumping it. Obviously I wouldn't do this on a daily basis but purely at the track on quarter mile timed runs.
It's not a pointless comment. Look at all the other replies, we're all face-palming. You've clearly had multiple MT's, how has this never caused damage in a previous car? Especially with an AWD car it puts more stress on your drivetrain as it has more "power to ground" contact I suppose is the way to put it.

Excessive clutch wear/premature clutch failure or other drivetrain problems resulting from this crap won't be covered under regular maintenance or warranty. You need hundreds of gear changes to wear in the clutch and flywheel, or you run into damaging more than just the clutch

Also, dumping your clutch at a high RPM isn't exactly the best time wise. There's a sweetspot between traction and RPM's... hence why launch control doesn't take the engine to a redline when you smash the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
giddyup69
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335xi

most likely the first thing that will get damaged will be your clutch.. probably the slave cylinder. you may have damaged it already... even if it's warped you won't feel it fully.. but the rest of your transmission definitely will.

then maybe your synchros will start to fail due to the clutch not disengaging fully, etc. i'm not familiar with all wheel drive systems.. so anything else that follows suit. you may have also glazed your clutch discs by now too.

seems like such a silly thing to play around with considering how many systems you could potentially fail.

good luck.
      06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's not a pointless comment. Look at all the other replies, we're all face-palming. You've clearly had multiple MT's, how has this never caused damage in a previous car? Especially with an AWD car it puts more stress on your drivetrain as it has more "power to ground" contact I suppose is the way to put it.

Excessive clutch wear/premature clutch failure or other drivetrain problems resulting from this crap won't be covered under regular maintenance or warranty. You need hundreds of gear changes to wear in the clutch and flywheel, or you run into damaging more than just the clutch

Also, dumping your clutch at a high RPM isn't exactly the best time wise. There's a sweetspot between traction and RPM's... hence why launch control doesn't take the engine to a redline when you smash the pedal.
Your comment about getting the AT transmission was uncalled for and I seriously doubt everyone is face palming. This is my 10th manual car so believe me I know how to drive it. All my other cars were RWD manuals where dumping the clutch at higher than 2000 rpm would result in a standstill wheel spin so I've never done it. This is my first AWD car and was wondering about the threshold of "abuse" a 6mt xdrive drivetrain can sustain. I never asked you for buying tips so please keep those to yourself.
      06-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup69 View Post
most likely the first thing that will get damaged will be your clutch.. probably the slave cylinder. you may have damaged it already... even if it's warped you won't feel it fully.. but the rest of your transmission definitely will.

then maybe your synchros will start to fail due to the clutch not disengaging fully, etc. i'm not familiar with all wheel drive systems.. so anything else that follows suit. you may have also glazed your clutch discs by now too.

seems like such a silly thing to play around with considering how many systems you could potentially fail.

good luck.
Thanks for the info. Would make for great 0-60 times at the track but not at the expense of broken drivetrain.
      06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I routinely drop the clutch at 6k rpm and boy does this car take off like a bat out of hell. Question is will it likely break anything in the long run?
Quote:
This is my 10th manual car so believe me I know how to drive it. All my other cars were RWD manuals where dumping the clutch at higher than 2000 rpm would result in a standstill wheel spin so I've never done it. This is my first AWD car and was wondering about the threshold of "abuse" a 6mt xdrive drivetrain can sustain. I never asked you for buying tips so please keep those to yourself.
You've had 10 MT's so you "know" how to drive, yet you still wonder whether routinely dumping the clutch at 6k RPM will break anything

I'll stop trolling now.

In my last post I was just trying to give you some advice. Break the clutch in for at least a few hundred miles. Dumping at high RPM doesn't mean fastest (probably make a couple tenths of a second difference in a 1/4m). Sure, doing it a handful of times it most likely won't destroy anything, but if you routinely do it, it'll cause a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Andy0323
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

When abusing anything, it is highly probable that things will start to break. However, the clutch is supposed to take this abuse by being the consumable. Once the clutch is replaced by something more stout, other things will start to break (ie: bearings).

AWD launches are out of this world (came from the evo family).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:

LOL +1
      06-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Quote:
Will repeatedly driving my car into a brick wall damage it?
Sorry, couldn't resist...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #19
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:

This.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
AWD launches are out of this world (came from the evo family).
Only if you hate your vehicle. My uncle rallies them (tarmac/Targa type events) and it's the one difference between 4WD and RWD is that you cannot just dump the clutch in a 4WD like you can in a RWD because it put too much stress on the drive-train. Or maybe he's just soft on his car because he wants to finish the rally.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

The car has tremendous torque just off of idle. Can't see where dumping the clutch at 6k will result in a much faster time. That sort of abuse is just putting a lot of extra wear and tear on the car for no real gain. You will break something eventually and then you will just be parked at the side of the road. That isn't fast!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #22
Andy0323
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Only if you hate your vehicle. My uncle rallies them (tarmac/Targa type events) and it's the one difference between 4WD and RWD is that you cannot just dump the clutch in a 4WD like you can in a RWD because it put too much stress on the drive-train. Or maybe he's just soft on his car because he wants to finish the rally.
That's a very nonsensical assumption. I'm sure all drivers who launch their cars regardless of drivetrain layout love their cars.

Awd launches puts less drivetrain stress than 2wd launches due to torque transfer/splitting to 4 wheels opposed to 2.

Evos are an exception due to very small gearlands from the transverse tranny layout. That's why the 5 speed is the choice for tuners. Still, hell of a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0