F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Questions about tires and color combination
Studio RSR

06-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
achopra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i MSport

Question Questions about tires and color combination

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I ordered a 2013 335i last Saturday with the following configuration

Mineral Gray Metallic
M Sport Line
- 18" 400M wheels with Mixed Tires
- Highlight trim finishers Black High-gloss
- Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim
- All Season Tires
- Black Leatherette
Technology Package
Sport Auto with shift padles
Heated front seats

Here are my concerns

First, I usually contrast interior and exterior colors. So for instance I would choose the Beige Leatherette interior with a Mineral gray exterior. But this time I went with the Black leatherette for a couple of reasons.

1) I feel that the Aluminum Hexagon patterns would not look good with Beige
2) I am not fond of the black plastic around the transmission stick.

What do you think? Agree or Disagree with my choice.

Second, I chose All Season Tires because the car will be delivered to me around Nov and we get some weather around here. My SLK 350 and Mazda 6 with summer performance tires were useless when it snowed and the SLK would even slide in rain. While I am expecting the RWD BMW to be quite useless in snow as well.. is it worth sticking with All seasons or should I just get the summer performance tires ?

Third, Is is worth getting the Dynamic Handling package with has the Adaptive M suspension and Variable sport steering ? I don't think I will want to mess with the ride height etc much.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

I agree that the aluminum hexagon trim would look better with black leatherette, but it might still work with the beige. I would go with the black personally, but part of that is I just prefer black leather over beige, at least for a sporty car. Hopefully the configurator on the BMW website will be out soon, which might help a little.

I'm no expert on tires, but I believe the performance summer tires will be at least as good in the rain as the all season ones. If you don't intend to drive the car in the snow, or if you're going to get a set of snow tires, I'd recommend ordering the summer tires with the car.

As far as the dynamic handling package, the adaptive suspension that is a part of it does not alter the ride height at any time compared to the normal sport suspension. It adjusts the damping dynamically and allows you to choose between two overall firmness settings. Also part of the package is the variable sport steering, which has a higher ratio once you turn the wheel past about 90 degrees or so I think. Basically, it makes the steering feel a little quicker in tight turns while preserving on center feel.

Last edited by E36toF30; 06-13-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i MW

I would suggest electing for the summer performance tires.

If you drive the car in snow, get a dedicated winter setup with some high quality snow tires. You won't get around for shit with the All Seasons either in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
If you're looking for contrast, I'd be inclined to go with Mineral Grey over Coral Red with the Hex trim and black finisher. Very sporty.

If leather is a no-go, then I'd probably go beige 'ette with Anthracite Wood trim and the black finisher. I've seen the Anthracite in person over beige and it's beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
achopra
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for replying.

I think I will stick with the black interior. I wanted to get Coral Red but chickened out and played it safe, saving $1500 at the same time.

The dynamic handling package seems like a toy that I wont use much, so I guess I wont get that.

Not yet clear about the tires, need some input on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

If you are looking to use all-season tires in the snow forget it. In a rear-wheel drive car you need a dedicated winter tire. Get the summer tires for summer, and buy a second set of winter tires for winter. You'll thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
If you are looking to use all-season tires in the snow forget it. In a rear-wheel drive car you need a dedicated winter tire. Get the summer tires for summer, and buy a second set of winter tires for winter. You'll thank me later.
+1

All seasons are a misnomer IMHO...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopra View Post
M Sport Line
- 18" 400M wheels with Mixed Tires
- Highlight trim finishers Black High-gloss
- Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim
- All Season Tires
- Black Leatherette
Unfortunately, according to the US Price List, you cannot get "Mixed Tires" as all-season tires. If you choose mixed 400M wheels on the M Sport, you get Summer tires (2PE requires ordering ZPT). If you choose a square setup, you get all-season tires (2PP requires ordering ZAS). Period.

Although wheels and tires are listed as separate option codes, they are linked together by restrictions elsewhere in the price list. I too would like to order this combination and am frustrated by the restriction (will cost me $ for another set of tires because I want a mixed setup).

From my long experience with all-season tires on a RWD BMW, I can highly recommend the latest generation of TOP-OF-THE-LINE all-season tires (specifically Bridgestone Pole Position 960/970 and Michelin Pilot Sport Plus) -- for aggressive handling performance, dry or wet, as well as for surprisingly good snow & ice performance. This has not always the case with all seasons, but in the past 15 years all-season-tire technology has improved SIGNIFICANTLY every year or two. These top-of-the-line all-season tires are REALLY GOOD. The problem with dedicated snow tires in St. Louis (besides the obvious expense) is that you never know when to swap your tires -- you might need snow tires in November, or you might not need them until February.

Maybe we can negotiate to get our dealers to swap our mixed Summer tires for mixed all seasons free before delivery?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
achopra
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
Unfortunately, according to the US Price List, you cannot get "Mixed Tires" as all-season tires. If you choose mixed 400M wheels on the M Sport, you get Summer tires (2PE requires ordering ZPT). If you choose a square setup, you get all-season tires (2PP requires ordering ZAS). Period.

Although wheels and tires are listed as separate option codes, they are linked together by restrictions elsewhere in the price list. I too would like to order this combination and am frustrated by the restriction (will cost me $ for another set of tires because I want a mixed setup).

From my long experience with all-season tires on a RWD BMW, I can highly recommend the latest generation of TOP-OF-THE-LINE all-season tires (specifically Bridgestone Pole Position 960/970 and Michelin Pilot Sport Plus) -- for aggressive handling performance, dry or wet, as well as for surprisingly good snow & ice performance. This has not always the case with all seasons, but in the past 15 years all-season-tire technology has improved SIGNIFICANTLY every year or two. These top-of-the-line all-season tires are REALLY GOOD. The problem with dedicated snow tires in St. Louis (besides the obvious expense) is that you never know when to swap your tires -- you might need snow tires in November, or you might not need them until February.

Maybe we can negotiate to get our dealers to swap our mixed Summer tires for mixed all seasons free before delivery?
Great find! It does say '2PE requires ordering ZPT' on the ordering guide but not on the pricing sheet. Will check with my dealer about that. I guess it makes the decision easy ... cuz I really want the mixed tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

interior stuff I concur. Tires I personally would go Summer. (of course it's difficult for me to imagine a place that has snow or other precipitation )

If you have the need for bad weather tires, then get two sets...good summer tires, and snow tires. (that's my .02...it's worth what you paid for it)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
achopra
Private First Class
Rep

Just got a message back from my dealer. He said that he ordered my car with the 2PE + ZPT option since that was the only one showing up on the builder. But he will check again on July 1st and let me know if all seasons can be had with the staggered setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopra View Post
Just got a message back from my dealer. He said that he ordered my car with the 2PE + ZPT option since that was the only one showing up on the builder. But he will check again on July 1st and let me know if all seasons can be had with the staggered setup.
I ordered my Msport earlier this week.

We tried to order all seasons with the 18" wheels, and it wouldn't allow it.
I put it in a thread. A couple people have told me that they ordered Msport with all season.

This is odd, cause my dealers system wouldn't allow it.
I wonder if people are actually looking at the order screen or just telling their CA what they want and the CA just nods and says, "Yes. Ok".
WT?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post

I too run ultra high perf all seasons year round. I've run this tire type for decades. This includes 2 RWD BMW's and my current 135i running
Conti DWS.
Ultra high perf all seasons can have BETTER wet performance that summer perf tires.
If you do comparative research of the various tests on tirerack.com, you'll find that UHP all seasons are not so far behind summer perf, yet still allow the driver to drive on light and moderate snow, but more importantly, on cold wet roads.

I'm looking at the new Bridgestone RE970.
Appreciate 0