F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Phone Cradle Owners
GetBMWParts

05-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
Yes. and it is a billion times easier to use
Any chance we can get a pic of what you deal with using the Y-cable?

Those pics are not from an f30, are they? But same idrive system I imagine...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovybits

Yes, the search is nice via the "plugin" feature, but even that is too deeply buried to be useful.
I set one of my shortcut buttons to activate it.

1 click and I am jamming
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
francis_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Sadly, no that isn't possible.

BMW could learn something from Mercedes - their Becker Map Pilot system is a good, affordable option that doesn't cost a fortune. It's a removable box that you plug into the glovebox and it uses the main screen in the car plus the car speakers so it feels like a fully integrated system. Very clever. To upgrade the unit or add maps you just hook it up to. PC and do the business. From memory the cost is about £500 versus £2,000 for a fully integrated Comand system. I'm not sure how much longer car makers can carry on shafting mugs like me...
well...maybe i should wait for some genius to make it work....or wait for the retro fit kit of the 8inch nav idrive system....
holy crap the iPad like nav system cost me HKD60000,GBP4,876orUSD7,723 include tax here in Hong Kong...

with this kind of money, i rather get myself a set of 19''s BBS LMR with nice tires and extra bucks for the H&R sport springs....so sad....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #26
Seyfeichai
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Bro,
Have a look at bimmerretrofit
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/portal...hdd-based.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_william View Post
well...maybe i should wait for some genius to make it work....or wait for the retro fit kit of the 8inch nav idrive system....
holy crap the iPad like nav system cost me HKD60000,GBP4,876orUSD7,723 include tax here in Hong Kong...

with this kind of money, i rather get myself a set of 19''s BBS LMR with nice tires and extra bucks for the H&R sport springs....so sad....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
francis_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyfeichai View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!! wow!!! do they ship to hong kong?
nice share mate!!! you
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Any chance we can get a pic of what you deal with using the Y-cable?
Sorry i don't have a Y-Cable to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Those pics are not from an f30, are they? But same idrive system I imagine...
Correct, it's from a 2012 X5. Same iDrive version i think
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Just on that - does anyone know how snug a fit the cradle is with an iPhone 4?

Could I ram it into place with a "barely there" cover still on the phone for example?
No way would it fit in the cradle with the case on. The only thing you can use that will still allow it to fit would be one of the applied skins like this for example.

It is a really snug fit in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #30
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the screenshots! I guess the connection method is different from the cradle vs. the regular iPod/iPhone USB cable? That's where I was getting tripped up...I was thinking that it was the same connection type...just wondering how the system knew to provide a different interface from the cradle vs. just using a regular iPod/iPhone USB cable.
      05-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #31
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
No way would it fit in the cradle with the case on. The only thing you can use that will still allow it to fit would be one of the applied skins like this for example.

It is a really snug fit in there.
Oh yes, I forgot about those skins.

Thanks
      06-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
RadioACC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i - Sport Line

Can't get video to play from iPhone 4S in media cradle

Hi new member here... new owner as well. Bought my new 328i last week. I'm also having issues getting video to play from my iPod or iPhone 4S (even when in the cradle). Does anyone know how to get it working. It's in park with the brake on, and I can hear the audio from videos on the iPhone, but no video is displayed. Just a black square. I've tried multiple types of TV Shows, Movies... they all do the same thing. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioACC View Post
Hi new member here... new owner as well. Bought my new 328i last week. I'm also having issues getting video to play from my iPod or iPhone 4S (even when in the cradle). Does anyone know how to get it working. It's in park with the brake on, and I can hear the audio from videos on the iPhone, but no video is displayed. Just a black square. I've tried multiple types of TV Shows, Movies... they all do the same thing. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Same for me here as well. Wonder what the issue is and how it can be resolved?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
RadioACC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i - Sport Line

So I have now been able to solve this for myself through a couple of steps... not sure which (or both) actually fixed it, but it's worth a try if you're still having issues.

- do a soft-boot on your iPhone... (holding down home and power button until it reboots)
- make sure the iDrive has the latest update http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
bimmer7904
Registered
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S

Is the lousy playback experience the same for both streaming over bluetooth with enhanced bluetooth and using the cable? And the only user friendly way is with the cradle? I thought enhanced bluetooth would be convenient, but if the interface is lacking it may have been a waste.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #36
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:

Two questions please:

My F30 will have Enhanced USB but not the snap-in cradle. Will I still get this awesome UI or must I buy the snap-in adapter?

My setup will have a beater iPod always left in the car (for music only) and my iPhone being plugged in when I drive (for apps only). Are there multiple USB ports to support this setup? Will the iPod gave the great UI shown in the photos without the cradle and with the iPhone also plugged in?

Thanks.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Two questions please:

My F30 will have Enhanced USB but not the snap-in cradle. Will I still get this awesome UI or must I buy the snap-in adapter?

BJ
I have the same question. We just got our 328i today. We've got BMW Assist/Apps. I was under the impression from reading other threads and from talking to our CA that the only thing we lost without the cradle was video-out and the external antenna connection. But after trying to figure out how to activate the IPod Out interface, I suspect we need the cradle.

I really don't want to spend those bucks for a cradle with the iPhone 5 likely to come out soon. Any guesses how long it will take BMW to make an iPhone 5 version?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #38
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I have the same question. We just got our 328i today. We've got BMW Assist/Apps. I was under the impression from reading other threads and from talking to our CA that the only thing we lost without the cradle was video-out and the external antenna connection. But after trying to figure out how to activate the IPod Out interface, I suspect we need the cradle.

I really don't want to spend those bucks for a cradle with the iPhone 5 likely to come out soon. Any guesses how long it will take BMW to make an iPhone 5 version?
Got some help on another BMW forum, here's what I learned:

The major things you lose if you skip the cradle are:

1. Quick charging (not really necessary).
2. Roof antenna (unless you live in the sticks not necessary).
3. Apple iPod Out Interface (that's bad but...).

But the one part that took some digging to find out is this little nugget: When you use the Cradle to get the sexy iPod Out user interface you:

1. Lose split screen (ouch).
2. Can't get at your handset for incoming email/text notifications (ouch).

The loss of the split screen is the dealbreaker for me. Like most people, I'll have the map up on the left side and music up on the right and you can't do that with the sexy iPod Out UI. Upon further review, the stock BMW iPod UI isn't bad at all, has album art, has artist/track name, just has less sexy font and background wallpaper. BFD. Also, when navigating to a destination, the map won't be visible via the cradle whereas in split screen from just the cable you'll get the map plus it's "overtake" mode when a critical lane change or turn is necessary (nav takes up the whole screen for that moment, then returns to split screen).

One thing that must be recognized is that when your iPhone is connected it must have a BMW app running which is another issue too because when you need to check a text or an incoming email you go out of the app and instantly lose your music connection be it via iPod or Pandora.

My solution? I'm never going to dock my iPhone to the car, ever. Instead, I'm going to have a permanent connection to a beater iPod Touch running the BMW app so that my music is there all the time. On a really long trip on a weekend when I'm not expecting much email/text communication I'll dock my iPhone via the cable (not the cradle) and get the apps functionality via 3G or LTE.

Hope this helps. In a nutshell, if you're a split screen guy or can't have your iPhone imprisoned inside your armrest, the conversation's over.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 07-21-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #39
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Got some help on another BMW forum, here's what I learned:

The major things you lose if you skip the cradle are:

1. Quick charging (not really necessary).
2. Roof antenna (unless you live in the sticks not necessary).
3. Apple iPod Out Interface (that's bad but...).

But the one part that took some digging to find out is this little nugget: When you use the Cradle to get the sexy iPod Out user interface you:

1. Lose split screen (ouch).
2. Can't get at your handset for incoming email/text notifications (ouch).

The loss of the split screen is the dealbreaker for me. Like most people, I'll have the map up on the left side and music up on the right and you can't do that with the sexy iPod Out UI. Upon further review, the stock BMW iPod UI isn't bad at all, has album art, has artist/track name, just has less sexy font and background wallpaper. BFD. Also, when navigating to a destination, the map won't be visible via the cradle whereas in split screen from just the cable you'll get the map plus it's "overtake" mode when a critical lane change or turn is necessary (nav takes up the whole screen for that moment, then returns to split screen).

One thing that must be recognized is that when your iPhone is connected it must have a BMW app running which is another issue too because when you need to check a text or an incoming email you go out of the app and instantly lose your music connection be it via iPod or Pandora.

My solution? I'm never going to dock my iPhone to the car, ever. Instead, I'm going to have a permanent connection to a beater iPod Touch running the BMW app so that my music is there all the time. On a really long trip on a weekend when I'm not expecting much email/text communication I'll dock my iPhone via the cable (not the cradle) and get the apps functionality via 3G or LTE.

Hope this helps. In a nutshell, if you're a split screen guy or can't have your iPhone imprisoned inside your armrest, the conversation's over.

BJ
Theres absolutely no difference in charging between using the cradle and using the standard cable.

Also bear in mind the antenna connection uses inductive coupling which is mediocre at best.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #40
Gerusarus
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 323i Ex individual

I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my F30 with virtually all of the infotainment options like 6NR, 6AL, 615, 609, 6NK, 6NF and 688. To make full use of all functions I will need to buy the media snap in adapter 84212218390 which cost about R2750 or $320. I will definitely be upgrading to iPhone 5 when it comes out. Question is should I wait for the iPhone 5 cradle, the latter might only be on the shelves end 2013. I will then be sitting with an obsolete iPhone 4 media snap in adapter.

PS: Here in South Africa, there are some places with almost no cell phone reception without an external antenna, you are stuffed.
Previously - E90 325i Exclusive individual, E46 320i Exclusive individual, Hyundai csi 1.5
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyM3 View Post
This probably means it won't fit the iPhone 5....sure would hate to pay another quarter...
Won't fit anyway, as numerous reports (some from pretty credible sources) have the 30-pin connector going away on the iPhone later this year, replaced with a new 19-pin connector that's less than half the size. So you're replacing it regardless if you have the current version.
Appreciate 0