F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Road & Track: 328i Showdown (F30 vs E90)
GetBMWParts

07-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #265
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

I'm not offend at all. I'm 100% happy with my choice of car. I reply to your post for the reason I noted, You keep trying to write history by pushing your opinions off a s fact when they are purely subjective. So as long as you keep pulling that bullshit I will continue to respond. I notice how you ignored the C&D post.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
LOL, coming from some one like you it makes no difference. As you had lost creditability with me a while back. I could care less that you are not happy with my opinions.

Like I told you earlier why don't you go enjoy your F30 335i purchase and don't get offended every time some one does not find it all that you think it is and more. If you are happy good for you.

I do not find it all that and more so you do not have to constantly feel like you have to reply to every post of mine
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #266
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Good to hear you are 100% happy. Now act like it because you clearly come off as some one who has gotten seriously offended every time some one says some thing about a F30 335i.

I am not trying to pass anything of to you. I am just stating my beliefs if you do not find it desire able then that is fine with me.

As for C&D post there is nothing that important there to respond to. They claim it has opaque feed back that I have been saying all along.

Now take a deep breath, relax and enjoy your F30 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
I'm not offend at all. I'm 100% happy with my choice of car. I reply to your post for the reason I noted, You keep trying to write history by pushing your opinions off a s fact when they are purely subjective. So as long as you keep pulling that bullshit I will continue to respond. I notice how you ignored the C&D post.

Kevin
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #267
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

And the part about capabilities and heft? do you choose to ignore the most important parts?

I'm not offended as I have stated already, When presented with quantifiable information I have found this post to be very compelling.

I don't get paid to race or track cars, so the traps, and splits in hundredths of a second mean nothing to me. I have owned and driven some nice cars in my time and the F30m 335i is just one of them.

Kevin

Quote:
Good to hear you are 100% happy. Now act like it because you clearly come off as some one who has gotten seriously offended every time some one says some thing about a F30 335i.

I am not trying to pass anything of to you. I am just stating my beliefs if you do not find it desire able then that is fine with me.

As for C&D post there is nothing that important there to respond to. They claim it has opaque feed back that I have been saying all along.

Now take a deep breath, relax and enjoy your F30 335i.

Last edited by KevRyd; 07-07-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #268
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
JV you answered my questions. You spend way to much online defending your car online. JV I am not on here writing paging writing about my m3. If you think its overpriced and not a worthy car I could care less. The fact you write books upon books defending a 328 doesn't seem a bit odd to you ?

Ill go enjoy my m3 and enjoy your entry-level luxury sedan and let's call it a day.

E90 m-sport packaged car is just night and day difference. This was a plain non-sport e90 and it still won the battle as a drivers car. What is there left to argue. Put an is or m sport e9x 328 or 335 and who in their right mind would say the f30 is a better drivers car?

Oh yes-JV but besides him who?
Did you notice that immediately after you said "let's call it a day," you did exactly NOT that?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #269
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

what's painfully obvious in that first picture is that the f30 looks infinitely better than the pre-lci e90. like a different class of car really. the driving behavior, of course, is a different issue.
      07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #270
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
I would say you are justified in trying to assume I would have purchase based blinders. But you must not have known me over the years. I was one of the biggest defenders of F30 before I drove it though.

I am not against the 4 cylinder engines or turbo so that coming to the full circle part does not apply to me. I have made that point many times to folks in past defending BMW's move to 4 cylinder. I also have owned plenty of 4 cylinders and some real high performance versions and my favorite one Suzuki GSXR-1000cc that revs sky high and sounds like a fighter jet. So once again you are preaching to some one who can fully appreciate a good 4 cylinder.

The point that I am making and is being lost at you is that the BMW 4 cylinder lacks a bit of refinement. I am surprised that with your vast knowledge of 4 cylinders you were not able to tell the difference between the smoothness of delivery and noise harshness of NA inline-6 vs turbo inline-4.

Like I said if you had spend driving BMW inline-6 variants back to back with the BMW 4 cylinder turbo variants for extended periods of time then you would definitely understand what I am saying. IMHO, a test drive here and there on one example does not make you an expert.

So when you bring up your experience of 4 cylinders. It is not foreign to me as I have had plenty in that respect. However, we both know comparing similar engines even across manufacturers are a huge difference. It does not do justice as they behave and respond quiet differently.

In this regards BMW still has a lot more to do with refining the 4 cylinder turbo. It is a bit harsh, unrefined, power delivery not as smooth and does not produce desired sounds.

I guess to be fair at the the end I guess my purchase based blinders allow me to see this and your purchase based blinders do not allow you to see it. This is a point where we will have to agree to disagree
I'm not trying to say the N20 has less vibration than the N52 or is as smooth or whatever. I'm saying I LIKE the N20. You said "Anyone who can't tell the difference between the two in favor of E90 for better driving dynamics and fun to drive ratio is wearing a bit of purchase based bias blinders." That is wrong. I own an F30 because I like the F30 more than the E90. I don't like the F30 more than the E90 because I own an F30.

You're used to what you're used to, and you like what you like. I'm used to what I'm used to, and I like what I like. We're both equally valid to believe as we do. But to say that your preference is objective truth, and different preferences are the result of bias, is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #271
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

F30 envy

I think we are starting to see the last kicks of a dying horse. The E90/2 posts are becoming repetitive. Nothing new seems to be coming out.

If I wanted something from history I would get an E30

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #272
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

I am sure that the F30s will find all the homes they need.

For unsatisfied E46/E90 owners, just be a little more patient.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #273
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride
I am sure that the F30s will find all the homes they need.

For unsatisfied E46/E90 owners, just be a little more patient.

Exactly and parked next to that I will be EStoril blue with envy

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #274
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
what's painfully obvious in that first picture is that the f30 looks infinitely better than the pre-lci e90. like a different class of car really. the driving behavior, of course, is a different issue.
I agree that the E90 is pretty fugly, especially the portions of the pre-LCI...but the E92 is sex on wheels, I prefer the lines to the F32. Probably a byproduct of drooling over the e92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #275
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I agree that the E90 is pretty fugly, especially the portions of the pre-LCI...but the E92 is sex on wheels, I prefer the lines to the F32. Probably a byproduct of drooling over the e92 M3.
Yeah E92 M3 is pure sex on wheels

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #276
imyopusha
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP in Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
F30 envy

I think we are starting to see the last kicks of a dying horse. The E90/2 posts are becoming repetitive. Nothing new seems to be coming out.

If I wanted something from history I would get an E30
^ ^ ^ This. People will always complain about steering "feeling". The fact of the matter is that the E90 pulled no better on the skidpad than the F30. If people want to "feel" the road with an abundance of feedback, then buy a Ford Model T. There was plenty of feedback in that car. you'll feel every piece of gravel in your hands while laboring to turn the steering wheel. The F30 335i is light years ahead of the E90.

BTW, I had a 328 F30 loaner the other day and the ticking from the N20 drove me CRAZY. Also, I hated the drone of the engine. I don't see how someone could live with it. It sounded like this Dodge Avenger rental I had last year. Maybe it is just I who gets annoyed with it.
2012 335i (SOLD)
Instagram- AY_M3 My ED thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1176511
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #277
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyopusha View Post
BTW, I had a 328 F30 loaner the other day and the ticking from the N20 drove me CRAZY. Also, I hated the drone of the engine. I don't see how someone could live with it. It sounded like this Dodge Avenger rental I had last year. Maybe it is just I who gets annoyed with it.
Are you hearing ticking with the windows up?

I dunno, maybe I have some special N20. It makes ticking when I am outside the car, I hear virtually nothing when driving. That is the problem to me, the ABSENCE of sound.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #278
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

I dunno, maybe I have some special N20. It makes ticking when I am outside the car, I hear virtually nothing when driving. That is the problem to me, the ABSENCE of sound.
Ticking is usually the sound of the injectors for a DI engine. I hear the "click click click" sound only after popping the hood.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #279
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Ticking is usually the sound of the injectors for a DI engine. I hear the "click click click" sound only after popping the hood.
It is, I heard it on my 2.0TSI.

But on the N20, I only hear it when I start the car in the garage on cold start up or I am outside the car.

The idea that a person is able to hear a ticking while driving, just does not happen. It did not happen with the TSI, does not happen with the N20. I happen to have good hearing. So what is it then?

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #280
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

you need a dp, the ticking is insanely loud.
my car was virtually silent brand new... until i started modding it
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #281
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
you need a dp, the ticking is insanely loud.
my car was virtually silent brand new... until i started modding it
Well, the downpipe size and construction I am sure just acts like a woofer/amplifier lol.

But we are talking about people commenting on having LOANERS, I don't think they have exhausts and downpipes on 'em

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #282
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Watching the driver accidentally hit the wipers (and then flail for a few seconds to turn it off) on a flying lap lends very little credibility to that time.

I sure hope the F32 with the side vents reduces wheel arch turbulence and makes the 3 series a 3 again. You know, because there were never complaints when the E46 and E9xs came out. That way, we can refocus more time on our jobs and make sure we make the numbers to be able to afford a 3k exhaust for a car that costs about as much as the median household income in the US.
You know that C&D, R&T, Edmunds and MT do not employ professional drivers for their reviews. MT has used two professional drivers but very sparingly. Most of the time the people who are posting those track times and findings are no more qualified then most of the people on this forum.

I mean in one lighting lap C&D had boasted one of their editors had done some SCCA/NASA Autocrosses as if that was something to boast. Oh man... He did something that anyone and their mom can do as long as they have a crash helmet and can pay the entry fee....

The only car reviewers that actually puts a professional driver through their cars are 5th gear and Topgear. So in reality those are the only publication that can boast that they KNOW what the limits of the cars are. The other thing that many people should watch is Sabine Schmitz race with Tiff when both were reviewing the M6 vs the Porsche 911. She states that the M6 like ALL BMWs have weak brakes. That means a lot from a woman who has driven more BMWs in a year probably our total family line will.

This should have raised eyebrows because only with the NEWEST M5 and M6 are the big 3 complaining about the brakes. What this means is either they don't push the cars when they track them or do not have they do not have skilled drivers to do so.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #283
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Sabine Schmitz can drive!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #284
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post
You know that C&D, R&T, Edmunds and MT do not employ professional drivers for their reviews. MT has used two professional drivers but very sparingly. Most of the time the people who are posting those track times and findings are no more qualified then most of the people on this forum.

I mean in one lighting lap C&D had boasted one of their editors had done some SCCA/NASA Autocrosses as if that was something to boast. Oh man... He did something that anyone and their mom can do as long as they have a crash helmet and can pay the entry fee....

The only car reviewers that actually puts a professional driver through their cars are 5th gear and Topgear. So in reality those are the only publication that can boast that they KNOW what the limits of the cars are. The other thing that many people should watch is Sabine Schmitz race with Tiff when both were reviewing the M6 vs the Porsche 911. She states that the M6 like ALL BMWs have weak brakes. That means a lot from a woman who has driven more BMWs in a year probably our total family line will.

This should have raised eyebrows because only with the NEWEST M5 and M6 are the big 3 complaining about the brakes. What this means is either they don't push the cars when they track them or do not have they do not have skilled drivers to do so.
+1, it interests me when people complain about what happens at the limits when most probably don't know what those limits are.

MT also use Randy (sparingly) for some of their reviews and I find those reviews enlightening. His review of the new Dodge Viper was hilarious.

If I am not mistaken Randy has the best lap time of a production vehicle at Laguna Seca, in a ZR1

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #285
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There is still a fair bit of variety in the capabilities from writer to writer.

Many of these guys have been writing for years and get invited to plenty of track events which has a professional driver in their ear giving them pointers.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #286
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:

At one point, I thought you credible. I don't think so any longer.

F1 drivers aren't the only people in the world who can adequately drive a car and report on it to the general public, and folks having as much or more skill than the folks at those magazines, don't need the magazine's opinions for they are well equipped to decide for themselves. Even people like me, with no particular driving skills, can decide themselves.

The magazines are there. They are nice to read. They are mildly entertaining, but they hold no sway with me, or any other intelligent buyer. I may consider a car because they like it, but what I choose to buy will be determined by my opinion based on my driving the car, regardless of whether some magazine editor likes it or not.

Also, given that F1 drivers are among the most highly paid, if not the highest, folks in professional sports, why would any of them be on the writing and editorial staff at a car magazine? Even Stig doesn't pull editorial duty on Top Gear; he drives and he's done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0