F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Will they improve the Auto start stop?
proTUNING Freaks

09-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #67
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_99f30 View Post
At last, back on topic, I normally switch it off as the vibration is annoying, but its a pain that you have to make the effort to switch it off every time you get in the car, like having to switch the auto wipers on, why there isn't a permanent setting within the idrive.
I had the re-program, so it's not an event each time.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #68
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_99f30 View Post
At last, back on topic, I normally switch it off as the vibration is annoying, but its a pain that you have to make the effort to switch it off every time you get in the car, like having to switch the auto wipers on, why there isn't a permanent setting within the idrive.
At last back on topic? That's off topic. There is, however, a solution.

Tell your dealer to do the recode and iDrive will remember the last setting. If you leave it off, it stays off.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #69
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I had the re-program, so it's not an event each time.
You mean the car will remember which mode (on or off) it had the next time you start? If that's so that would be great and I wonder if it applies to the X1 that I just ordered?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #70
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear View Post
You mean the car will remember which mode (on or off) it had the next time you start? If that's so that would be great and I wonder if it applies to the X1 that I just ordered?
Yes and yes.

Call your CA and make an appointment.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #71
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

They are still making my car at the factory.

My X1 will not come with idrive, would it work? Did you have to do it through idrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #72
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear View Post
They are still making my car at the factory.

My X1 will not come with idrive, would it work? Did you have to do it through idrive?
It's programmed through the OBD-II connector, not iDrive. iDrive doesn't have anything to do with ASS.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #73
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

So is this vibration/shudder people complain about different than when you start up the car? For me, its the during start up and auto stop/start operation. Are people expecting the car to start back silently or is there more to this?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #74
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
So is this vibration/shudder people complain about different than when you start up the car? For me, its the during start up and auto stop/start operation. Are people expecting the car to start back silently or is there more to this?
For me, an auto-start with the A/C off is quiet smooth; usually smoother than a manual start up.

I get really rough auto-restarts when the car decides to restart itself due to A/C demand. It feels like the A/C compressor is engaged during the restart putting extra load on the starter/engine. The whole car feels like it's shaking. Passengers can feel it too and say "what the hell was that!". That shaking can't be good for the motor mounts.

I've noticed that when manually starting the car, the A/C waits a bit before engaging.

Does anyone know: When A/C demand restarts the engine, is the compressor engaged? I wonder if it's not just a stupid logic issue where the A/C compressor should be off during the restart and not kick in until the engine stabilizes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #75
vindicator
balllllllllin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
It's the worst feature on Earth, eventually it's going to get someone killed and then it'll make national news and the fun will start.

At the very moment you need dependable acceleration the most, like turning left across a speedy intersection from a stop, the engine shuts off. And you work out the timing and find the right window to make your move and there's no power for a long second. Then you pray the thing starts but by the time it does your window has rapidly closed. It's a terrible experience.

Then there are stalls. Happens frequently for no apparent reason. As you say, sometimes you think you've stalled so you quickly hit the button and that turns the engine off, not on.

I couldn't let my wife drive the car until I had ASS deactivated. I hadn't been driving a car that stalled since my 1980 Honda Prelude until my 2013 BMW. And for what? So some tree-huggers can claim they're environmentally "friendly" as they drive their excessive luxury cars and smoke cigars? So someone who can afford a $50,000 German sport sedan can save $0.19 cents per fill-up?

Awful idea, awful implementation, awful choice of car to put it on. If we wanted a Prius, we'd have bought one.

BJ
Very well said.
      10-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #76
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

I think I can get used to ASS (I haven't yet), but what annoys me, is fact that if I switch it off, then using Eco Pro mode switches it back on. So every time I switch to eco I have to switch off ASS (and there is no visible indicator of ASS, except light on the switch, which is not visible when I drive normally - I have to lean forward to check the status).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #77
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Just drove 1400 miles with ASS enabled. absolutely flawless, and no complaints. Sure it was a strange feeling/sound. but it's quick, effective, and I don't see any issue with the feature.
      10-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #78
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
For me, an auto-start with the A/C off is quiet smooth; usually smoother than a manual start up.

I get really rough auto-restarts when the car decides to restart itself due to A/C demand. It feels like the A/C compressor is engaged during the restart putting extra load on the starter/engine. The whole car feels like it's shaking. Passengers can feel it too and say "what the hell was that!". That shaking can't be good for the motor mounts.

I've noticed that when manually starting the car, the A/C waits a bit before engaging.

Does anyone know: When A/C demand restarts the engine, is the compressor engaged? I wonder if it's not just a stupid logic issue where the A/C compressor should be off during the restart and not kick in until the engine stabilizes.
I've noticed this as well. But I've about convinced myself that it's more a perception than reality thing. When the car starts because I've taken my foot off the brake, I expect it. There's a shake, but it's combined with other motion.

When it starts because it wants to run the A/C compressor, I don't. I know it will do it, but don't exactly know when. And the car (and driver) is otherwise still at the time, so the shake is more noticeable.

OTOH, my biggest complaints is that it shuts off too quickly at a stop. It makes sense to stop at a light, but it doesn't make sense to shut off for a stop sign when all I'm doing is stopping and going. This can't help but encourage rolling stops at stop signs. If it would wait 3-5 seconds before shutting off, that wouldn't be a problem.

I also wish they could do something about the accessory voltage drop when it restarts. My V1 reboots about half the time. I suspect that is at least partially behind the frequent iPod Classic lockups we keep seeing.

Last edited by bacampbe; 10-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #79
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I've noticed this as well. But I've about convinced myself that it's more a perception than reality thing. When the car starts because I've taken my foot off the brake, I expect it. There's a shake, but it's combined with other motion.

When it starts because it wants to run the A/C compressor, I don't. I know it will do it, but don't exactly know when. And the car (and driver) is otherwise still at the time, so the shake is more noticeable.

OTOH, my biggest complaints is that it shuts off too quickly at a stop. It makes sense to stop at a light, but it doesn't make sense to shut off for a stop sign when all I'm doing is stopping and going. This can't help but encourage rolling stops at stop signs. If it would wait 3-5 seconds before shutting off, that wouldn't be a problem.

I also wish they could do something about the accessory voltage drop when it restarts. My V1 reboots about half the time. I suspect that is at least partially behind the frequent iPod Classic lockups we keep seeing.

I agree. The car is nice and quite with the engine off and you just know it's going to restart from the A/C, you're just trying to guess when. It's still pretty rough for me (7400 miles). I wonder what that's doing to the motor mounts?

I also wish that the time until auto-stop was adjustable a bit; it's right about 1.5 seconds. I'd like it just a bit longer. I've had many instances where I lift my foot from the brake from a stop sign and right then I can feel the engine try to stop. The engine does keep running and it's pretty smooth, just strange feeling.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #80
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
Just drove 1400 miles with ASS enabled. absolutely flawless, and no complaints. Sure it was a strange feeling/sound. but it's quick, effective, and I don't see any issue with the feature.
It takes a while to get use to the ASS, for some, it takes longer than others. Some people just have a set way of doing things, and they cannot adjust to changes. Some people are just not the high tech type and like things the old fashion way. Just like driving with a stick, there are techniques one have to learn when driving a car with ASS, some people will give up the first time they stall the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #81
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It takes a while to get use to the ASS, for some, it takes longer than others. Some people just have a set way of doing things, and they cannot adjust to changes. Some people are just not the high tech type and like things the old fashion way. Just like driving with a stick, there are techniques one have to learn when driving a car with ASS, some people will give up the first time they stall the car.
It's not a issue of change that's the issue (I really like the idea of ASS), it's the implementation. The issue is in the title of the thread: when will they improve it.

ASS systems have been around for a long time. Why does it seem like the ASS system on the F30 is the first time it's been put on a car. We know it's not.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #82
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
It's not a issue of change that's the issue (I really like the idea of ASS), it's the implementation. The issue is in the title of the thread: when will they improve it.

ASS systems have been around for a long time. Why does it seem like the ASS system on the F30 is the first time it's been put on a car. We know it's not.
You may or not be aware, the implementation of ASS in the F30 328i is a different experience than in the 335i. In the 328i, it borders on ridiculous. The 335i implementation is smooth, almost to the point of unnoticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #83
Mrcarcrazy
Rep

See 328 owners, another reason you should have gotten a 335. I'm a "good ol boy" from Texas and it doesn't bother me. So in my eyes, if it bothers you....you're a spoiled brat.

It is strange to get used to, and I can understand that, but I haven't had any issues with it, and it has worked as advertised 100% of the time. I'm not a huge fan of change...but I bought the car knowing it had this feature...so to bitch about it seems....retarded.
      10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #84
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You may or not be aware, the implementation of ASS in the F30 328i is a different experience than in the 335i. In the 328i, it borders on ridiculous. The 335i implementation is smooth, almost to the point of unnoticeable.
Its not so much the implementation of the ASS between the 335i and the 328i, its the engine itself. I noticed the same thing when I test drove the 528i and the 535i, the N55 is smoother on start up and stop.

Rather we like it not not, the ASS is here to stay, its just a matter of time before it will be in all new cars, might as well get use to it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #85
Mrcarcrazy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Rather we like it not not, the ASS is here to stay, its just a matter of time before it will be in all new cars, might as well get use to it now.
      10-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #86
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

BJ SUCKS!

Something about his name...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #87
pdxBeav
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I was a huge advocate of ASS, but after the 2nd stall in a week on my 335 I have decided to code it to remember the last setting. I'm in favor of the concept, but having to wonder if it'll stall every single time I'm stopped isn't worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #88
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxBeav View Post
I was a huge advocate of ASS, but after the 2nd stall in a week on my 335 I have decided to code it to remember the last setting. I'm in favor of the concept, but having to wonder if it'll stall every single time I'm stopped isn't worth it to me.
I also had it stall, during a recent test drive. I felt like a total idiot. One, I am not familiar with driving the F30, so I wasn't even sure the what was happening, or the quickest way to get it fired back up. The CA was giving me instructions, however. The people behind me started honking! The CA said it probably stalled because it was low on fuel (1/8th tank?) but I really don't buy that.
Appreciate 0