F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > i8 ///M or ///M i8
Studio RSR

12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
i8 ///M or ///M i8

Does anyone think or know if an ///M version of the i8 will be made? The base model is already said to go 0-60 in 4.6... imagine how quick an ///M version would be! If it'll be made, will it still have an electric engine (it does provide astonishing torque)? So what are your thoughts?
      12-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Rumors are starting (again) about an M8, but I don't know if it's going to be related to the i8
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Just for future reference, I'd call it the i8M. BMW has a knack for keeping the first letter in place and taking the M at the end (X5M, Z4M, etc.).

On topic, I heard BMW would be ditching the hybrid powertrain for the TTV8 from the M5/M6 in their new halo car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Does not conform to the BMW i8.

Of the planned M branded Sports Car. Think history revisited. Mutually exclusive , not accessible and not a rival to the Audi R8.
Just exactly like the M1 in the 1970's.

BMW are keen on the more individualistic aspect that McLaren have with the MPC 4-12 and keep it away from being pigeon holed and eventually fade into the background as the more "commercial" Audi R8.
      12-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Of the planned M branded Sports Car. Think history revisited. Mutually exclusive , not accessible and not a rival to the Audi R8.

BMW are keen on the more individualistic aspect that McLaren have with the MPC 4-12 and keep it away from being pigeon holed and eventually fade into the background as the more "commercial" Audi R8.
There is contradiction in every statement BMW (or you?) make. First no BMW M Supercar because demand would not enough high. BMW doen't want such a "failure" as the LFA. Now, BMW wants a supercar super exclusive, not something as common as an R8. This makes no sense.

What about a BMW "Cayman GT3", the P-Car that Porsche doesn't want to build because it will be faster than its "holy" 911. This again shows how BMW is no more the Ultimate Driving Machine, but rather the Ultimate Money Machine. BWM M cars are just sold for their badge, but because it now gets deluted, BMW needs a Halo-M-car.
Recently BMW (or you?) said BMW is not a supercar maker, they only build sporty cars for daily usability? Has that change in a few months?

All that BMW needs to build is a Z4 M Coupé, or what ever they call it, that is and dual-clvery light, has two seats, RWD, both manual utch transmission. Best engine option would be S65, but one can dream of.

But again, why would BMW care, the person who demands that (me, only?), has not spoken with his wallet. Sure because the sales man said "that is not possible". On the other hand I don't have the money to get a custom built Z4 M Coupé V8.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26

Can you please reformulate?
      12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
"There is contradiction in every statement BMW (or you?) make. First no BMW M Supercar because demand would not enough high. BMW doen't want such a "failure" as the LFA. Now, BMW wants a supercar super exclusive, not something as common as an R8. This makes no sense."
For now BMW has no plans for such a car but in the longer term they would like to do so and 2016 is when such an idea becames a more realistic proposition because that time BMW can extensively dress their cars in CFRP panels much lower than their competitors.

The next 7er which I have seen in the body-in-white mixes so many materials that weight reduction is highly significant than the current 7er .
Just because we are four or so years away that we do not talk about these things in our marketing meetings.

And what they would like to do is to keep the M car as an M and lead with a exclusive sub-brand model under BMW M. Like BMW i has the i8.
The model that we talk about is the same idea as the classic M1 - For such a car to work it has to stand out. Our competitors have now become part of the background. The exclusive angle demonstrated by the McLaren MPC is very much admired because it appears to be less commercial.

But as I have said priority lies with the BMW i8 and BMW i8 Spyder our progressive ground breaking Sports car.
      12-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
lopeolinda
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'd call it the i8M. BMW has a knack for keeping the first letter in place and taking the M at the end
      12-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
For now BMW has no plans for such a car but in the longer term they would like to do so and 2016 is when such an idea becames a more realistic proposition because that time BMW can extensively dress their cars in CFRP panels much lower than their competitors.

The next 7er which I have seen in the body-in-white mixes so many materials that weight reduction is highly significant than the current 7er .
Just because we are four or so years away that we do not talk about these things in our marketing meetings.

And what they would like to do is to keep the M car as an M and lead with a exclusive sub-brand model under BMW M. Like BMW i has the i8.
The model that we talk about is the same idea as the classic M1 - For such a car to work it has to stand out. Our competitors have now become part of the background. The exclusive angle demonstrated by the McLaren MPC is very much admired because it appears to be less commercial.

But as I have said priority lies with the BMW i8 and BMW i8 Spyder our progressive ground breaking Sports car.

What you say rarely ever makes any sense. This is no exception. The "exclusive angle"? What is that? 243.3334degrees?

I really hope BMW does not follow McLaren in terms of their supercar's character, because the car (MP4) is very low on emotion.
Appreciate 0