F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealership service means no BMW ever again?
proTUNING Freaks

06-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #23
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
Well I went to pick it up, repair is visually ok now but the wheel repairman didn't sand the surface so the finish is very coarse, dealership said yeah you're right if you want new wheels we'll order them... so I guess we're doing that.
Getting brand-new wheels on the dealership's dime?

Ain't nothin' wrong with that level of service.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I have been in and around BMW dealerships since 1971 when I had my first BMW 2002. I have found that if you are fair, reasonable and approach any problems properly, there are no troubles. Not saying that there are not bad service BMW shops, but I do think that approach and the proper attitude go a long way to building a relationship with a dealer. Just my 2c. YMMV.
      06-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #25
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Getting brand-new wheels on the dealership's dime?

Ain't nothin' wrong with that level of service.
Oh you mean after they damaged them, them paying for them is great service after they tried to have a third party repair their damage several times? heh
      06-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #26
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh you mean after they damaged them, them paying for them is great service after they tried to have a third party repair their damage several times? heh
Are you ultimately getting brand new wheels? If so, you've got nothing to complain about except the amount of lost time and effort it took to get you to that resolution. But if you want to keep crying about it, don't let me stop you.

I can't think of too many dealerships that would immediately spring for new wheels in a situation like you have described. I would think any dealership would try to repair first (and second, and maybe third), replace as last resort. Ultimately, it sounds like they are going to make it right, and that's really all we can ask as owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Are you ultimately getting brand new wheels? If so, you've got nothing to complain about except the amount of lost time and effort it took to get you to that resolution. But if you want to keep crying about it, don't let me stop you.

I can't think of too many dealerships that would immediately spring for new wheels in a situation like you have described. I would think any dealership would try to repair first (and second, and maybe third), replace as last resort. Ultimately, it sounds like they are going to make it right, and that's really all we can ask as owners.
For what it's worth for others who may be here to actually gain from the experience of fellow forum members - often times when one is a dick about service the person that is the recipient of your annoyance had nothing to do with why you're pissed off in the first place. A simple "I know this isn't your fault and I appreciate you trying to help resolve the situation" works wonders in my experience. OP doesn't want to go to the dealership 4x. Guess what - the people at the dealership are less excited about him being back than he is to be there.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      06-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

Sadly, poor service from my local dealership has also lead me away from the BMW brand. On two leases, after taking possession of vehicle, the sales manager called and claimed a slight mistake was made on financing and I'd need to come back and sign some paperwork that moderately increased my monthly payment. One time? Possibly a legit mistake. Two times? Scam.

In over 6 years of leasing new BMWs, I was never once given a courtesy loaner vehicle, hearing over and over that "they are all checked out." I recently took possession of a 2008 Audi RS4 and took it to the local Audi dealer for the Takata airbag replacement. They hooked me up with a brand new A8 for the day even though I have never actually bought a car there and was simply having recall service performed.

The last vehicle I took possession of (335), the service department failed to remove shipping blocks before delivering me the vehicle and allowing me to drive it off the lot.

Reaching a live person at the service department was at best a 50/50 proposition, and I quickly tired of every single BMW employee hounding me to "make sure you rate me 5 full stars on the email evaluation from BMWNA or else I don't get paid and they take my first-born son from me." I swear the place was more concerned with the after-sale evaluation ratings than any other aspect of the business.

So sadly, I too will find it hard to return to the local BMW dealership and spend my money there. I'm really sorry to hear of your experience.

Quote:
Love BMW cars, can't stand my local service.

I had a E90 335xi previously that they gave me a bunch of hassles with under warranty, tightened the microfilter assembly with an impact stripping all the cowl threads among many other things I don't even want to think about.

This time I brought my 340i in for yearly service and mentioned exhaust tips were pitting, rear emblem corroding and wheel center caps also corroding.

They ordered the parts to replace with the service, cool, no worries.

I got the car home and noticed wtf, there's paint missing around the center caps on each wheel... looks like they removed the center caps with a pick instead of removing each wheel and popping them out from the back. I called and explained, they tell me they have a mobile wheel repair guy that fixes things like this, drop it off etc

Ok, still being cool I dropped it off for the wheel repair guy to fix the tech's mistake and come back to pick it up... oh great, wheel repair guy ripped paint off the lug bore holes removing/replacing the wheels as he had them off to repair the center bore damage... awesome.

I said at this point i'm done dicking around, send this mobile repair guy to my work next week or soon after and he can do it there... this is ridiculous.

She said she'd "inquire" for him to do that, never called me back, I called several more times asking until I finally got the "you'll need to bring it here or we'll pick it up". I said well i'll drop it off again and I guess you win this round wasting more time.

Today I dropped it off, courtesy vehicle wasn't waiting like usual and I was instructed to go to the "courtesy vehicle door", walk inside and they'll get me a car. I walked in there, waited 5 minutes with no one present and walked back to the service lane and asked here how about you page someone over there, nobody's there and I need to get to work.

So whatever someone shows up, I get a 530xi pos and i'll go back later to see if somehow, maybe, they managed to unfuck the wheels.

I was considering a M2 CS... but due to service i'm going to have to be done with a brand I really like.
2013 328Xi M Sport - Glacier Silver - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #29
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that there are like 6 dealerships within an hour of me...because I've already had bad service at one of them, repetitively, and that's just trying to shop I haven't even bought a BMW yet. Given their attitudes and lack of care in the sales department though, Steven's Creek BMW turned me off to their dealership completely. Shopping at Mountain View BMW on the other hand they've always been pleasant and helpful, so I'd have no qualms about taking my future car there for service (unless they screw something up at that point).

Then there's San Francisco BMW, Peter Pan BMW, San Rafael, Concord, East Bay, Weatherford...so I guess 8 total around me that are within an hour's drive or so. Could even go 2 hours down to Monterey if I wanted to make a day out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #30
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I guess I should consider myself fortunate that there are like 6 dealerships within an hour of me...because I've already had bad service at one of them, repetitively, and that's just trying to shop I haven't even bought a BMW yet. Given their attitudes and lack of care in the sales department though, Steven's Creek BMW turned me off to their dealership completely. Shopping at Mountain View BMW on the other hand they've always been pleasant and helpful, so I'd have no qualms about taking my future car there for service (unless they screw something up at that point).

Then there's San Francisco BMW, Peter Pan BMW, San Rafael, Concord, East Bay, Weatherford...so I guess 8 total around me that are within an hour's drive or so. Could even go 2 hours down to Monterey if I wanted to make a day out of it.
When you only have 1 BMW (of Anchorage) Dealership in the largest State in the Nation, not exactly easy to go to the “other” Dealership as rjc32000 notes above.

Likewise, they do not worry about someone going to another BMW Dealership either around 2,250 miles away (oneway) just North of Seattle (Not sure how/BMW Vancouver/Canada would handle BMW USA warranty work. If BMW Canada does do warranty for USA cars, it knocks it down to just 2200 miles one way!).

Then again, considering the condition of most of the roads outside Anchorage, not sure I’d want a nice car in Alaska either.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #31
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

I kart race with my local service manager. It is great, tell him the issue and it is always taken care of and he is very honest.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #32
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
But what good does that do me? the nearest dealer from this one is 1hr away in any direction. Anything I buy from the brand will put me back with these people. I already gave 0 on the review and they're mad about that.
where do you live?
i have 5 or 6 bmw dealerships within half an hour...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:02 PM   #33
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Lost time IS worth complaining about, especially in cases like these where it appears to be the result of repeated negligence.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #34
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Lost time IS worth complaining about, especially in cases like these where it appears to be the result of repeated negligence.
Does complaining about lost time get that time back? No? Then it seems to me to just be a waste of more time.

As I already said, I’d like to know the name of a dealership that would have immediately given a customer a set of four brand-new wheels under the circumstances described. Every dealership of any brand I’ve ever owned would balk at that type of request without trying to have the wheels repaired, possibly more than once. Repairs were ultimately not conducted to the satisfaction of the customer in this case, and he says they are now going to give him a new set of wheels. It’s hard for me to find too much to complain about with this outcome, though OP has made it clear there was already some negative history at play here.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #35
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does complaining about lost time get that time back? No? Then it seems to me to just be a waste of more time.

As I already said, I'd like to know the name of a dealership that would have immediately given a customer a set of four brand-new wheels under the circumstances described. Every dealership of any brand I've ever owned would balk at that type of request without trying to have the wheels repaired, possibly more than once. Repairs were ultimately not conducted to the satisfaction of the customer in this case, and he says they are now going to give him a new set of wheels. It's hard for me to find too much to complain about with this outcome, though OP has made it clear there was already some negative history at play here.
This is a bmw forum where people post good and bad experiences with bmw ownership. If members suddenly stopped venting about frustrating experiences, the place would become a ghost town.

The op might not want to post information that reveals his location, or maybe he isn't ready to risk completely burning his bridges with the dealership. Then again maybe he doesn't feel particularly altruistic or helpful in a thread where he's being judged and blamed for his years of misfortune (with multiple cars) at this dealership. It's clear though, that calling him out about it hasn't inspired him to share that info yet.
Appreciate 3
adhrp1280.50
jmg18663.00
      06-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #36
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
This is a bmw forum where people post good and bad experiences with bmw ownership. If members suddenly stopped venting about frustrating experiences, the place would become a ghost town.

The op might not want to post information that reveals his location, or maybe he isn't ready to risk completely burning his bridges with the dealership. Then again maybe he doesn't feel particularly altruistic or helpful in a thread where he's being judged and blamed for his years of misfortune (with multiple cars) at this dealership. It's clear though, that calling him out about it hasn't inspired him to share that info yet.
Correct on all points, considering me unreasonable for expecting someone to replace what they break is how they get away with it in the first place. I've made 3 additional trips since the beginning of this mess and they aren't paying for my time or my detailed analysis of how they or their 3rd party has failed.

Only now are they offering to replace 2 of the 4 wheels that were spot repaired on 6/7 which I discovered tonight just have clearcoat overspray all over them as well as the new center caps that were the whole reason for the first service.

When I look at the other 2 more closely the original damage is covered but still present anyway.

Either way I compiled a batch of detailed photos and careful observation, the only solution now is replace all 4 wheels and center caps / m badges on 2 due to the new overspray. Yes I know I can probably get it off with paint thinner, I've owned 60+ cars... but it's not my problem and if it damages the original finish underneath I then have problems I created.

Thanks fellas.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #37
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

I feel your pain. The dealer nearest me is at least 45 min from the next closest dealer. I tried them when I first moved here, but after several attempts, I have written them off completely. I now drive 45 min to an excellent dealer who is knowledgeable, provides a loaner, even on service for my 13 year old E46 and always treats me fairly and as if they value my business.

The old place was so bad that when I realized they charged above BMW's retail price for parts they actually told me "BMW allows us to charge whatever we determine is reasonable for parts. We do not need to honor BMW's suggested retail." Seriously, BMW OEM retail isn't high enough. Holy crap. They were the only place around and they were soaking their customers because of it. No thanks.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #38
Fuller
Major
Rep

If I had no practical choice but to work with dealerships like you guys are describing (or have to in the future) Id consider leaving the brand as well. If bmwna didn't at least look into these issues, they're perpetuating the problem by tolerating dealers like this. I guess they figure they can do whatever they want and people will continue buying their cars anyway. I'd like to think i there was a time when people didn't tolerate business practices and negligence like what's been described in this thread.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #39
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
If I had no practical choice but to work with dealerships like you guys are describing (or have to in the future) Id consider leaving the brand as well. If bmwna didn't at least look into these issues, they're perpetuating the problem by tolerating dealers like this. I guess they figure they can do whatever they want and people will continue buying their cars anyway. I'd like to think i there was a time when people didn't tolerate business practices and negligence like what's been described in this thread.
I can fix, reprogram and maintain my cars but I'm 37 now, I have other things to tend to. I'm not 22 upgrading turbos on a wrx anymore living in an apartment.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #40
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Here's some pics, communication has been poor with service manager today. Left a message with general manager, not convinced he'll care either.

At least they're supplying me with damning documentation I can present to BMW NA.
Attached Images

06-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #41
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Your loss if you go to another brand over small stuff like this. I've had nothing but stellar service from the 4 BMW dealerships I've used since 2001. I already have a $500-over-invoice plus incentives deal going with my favorite dealer back in TX for my 2019 G20 M340i next Spring, and I'll take Performance Center Delivery in SC a few hours south of where I live now.

I'd report this dealership to BMW NA just so they're aware of what's going on.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #42
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

OP Post #37: "I've owned 60+ cars..." and you're only 37! Assuming you got your first somewhere around 16, you've gone through 60 cars in 21 years! DAMN, I thought I was bad!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #43
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I figured from the OP's ranting it was something substantial. Fully understand why the dealership would want to "fire this customer".
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #44
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
Man... people get mad about stuff like this?
Appreciate 0