F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Road Noise!!!
Studio RSR

11-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Road Noise!!!

I installed the Bilstein PSS10 coilovers with 20" rims on 245/35/fr 275/30/rr tires and I can feel every crack and crevices on the road. Moderate drop (1 finger and 1/2 gap); I had the setting dialed in at 4 clicks front and rear.

The PSS10 is great - compression/rebound on dips was immediate, no bouncing around. Cornering was tight, and I feel "planted", but man-o-man, the road cracks and patches are noisy!
During the install of the rear springs, Bilstein instruction stated not to re-use the top rubber piece (it's about 5 times the thickness of the one provided) - could this be the cause of road noise?

Or, could it be cheap tires? I got the Nexen n3000, not up there with Pirelli or nitto but it's not cheap comparing to standard sized tires either.

So what are you fellaz running on your 20's? I've seen a 528 running 40 fronts and 35 rears Pirelli - looks ok. I've so seen on the streets, 45 fronts and 40 rears - too tall for my taste.

Last edited by _bdiddyb_; 11-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Improper Title
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I think it's neither the tires nor the bushings. The suspension is stiff. That's why we love the Bilsteins!!! I just ordered the Sport B8 shock/strut combo myself. I can't wait to feel every crack/crevice in the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
I think it's neither the tires nor the bushings. The suspension is stiff. That's why we love the Bilsteins!!! I just ordered the Sport B8 shock/strut combo myself. I can't wait to feel every crack/crevice in the road.
"I can't wait to feel every crack and crevice..."
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Out of all places to skimp, it's beyond me why people go cheap on tires.

Nexen? Really?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
Out of all places to skimp, it's beyond me why people go cheap on tires.

Nexen? Really?
I'm here

Same could be said for coffee. Why drink Starbucks, mcdonalds, Pete's, etc, when you could enjoy Stumptown, Kean, Portola or Kauai.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's absolutely the tires. Tires are the single biggest factor in road noise. A stiffer suspension doesn't make a car louder.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
Quote:
It's absolutely the tires. Tires are the single biggest factor in road noise. A stiffer suspension doesn't make a car louder.
Read!!!!!!!! I said NOTHING about ROAD NOISE. His title may be "Road Noise", but he spent his time talking about feeling every road imperfection, which is characteristic of stiffer suspensions. It doesn't matter which tires he chooses, he's still going to deal with the same issues. Try again!

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 11-08-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
During the install of the rear springs, Bilstein instruction stated not to re-use the top rubber piece (it's about 5 times the thickness of the one provided) - could this be the cause of road noise? Or, could it be cheap tires? I got the Nexen n3000, not up there with Pirelli or nitto but it's not cheap comparing to standard sized tires either.
Quote:
Sounds like you're talking about road noise, buddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
Quote:
During the install of the rear springs, Bilstein instruction stated not to re-use the top rubber piece (it's about 5 times the thickness of the one provided) - could this be the cause of road noise? Or, could it be cheap tires? I got the Nexen n3000, not up there with Pirelli or nitto but it's not cheap comparing to standard sized tires either.
Quote:
Sounds like you're talking about road noise, buddy.
....and I was specific about what I was referring to in the subject matter of his post (..feeling every imperfection, etc.), NOT his misleading title. Changing his tires is not going to alleviate that. TRY AGAIN!

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 11-08-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

F32, Sedan_Clan
Cracks and crevices, I can hear them and I can feel them - they're related. Don't tell me you can have one without the other. What are you two driving and "riding on"? 20's with the same tire sizes?

I'm looking for real world experiences and not theory or hypothesis. There seems to be a lot of bad ideas floating around. In this forum, there was a poster whom stated replacing the rear shocks is much like an e92 - apparently he has not done this himself. Shit I pulled out my trunk liner to look for the locking nut - wasn't there! Dropping the shock takes 3 upper bolts from the outside and the larger bolt from the bottom.

So please post your coilovers setup, tire makes, and sizes, and let me know how your ride handles in regards to road noise and performance. Just springs (h&r seems most ppl in this forum have), need not response because the top rubber bushing is kept. I would hate to replace with new tires only to find out the noise is attributed to how the coilovers are designed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
jestopolis
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

Put your stock wheels and tires back on and see what happens.

Nexens are junk, fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

Really? hot damn! you've experienced them before? What do you have on your 320?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestopolis View Post
Put your stock wheels and tires back on and see what happens.

Nexens are junk, fwiw.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
F32, Sedan_Clan
Cracks and crevices, I can hear them and I can feel them - they're related. Don't tell me you can have one without the other. What are you two driving and "riding on"? 20's with the same tire sizes?

I'm looking for real world experiences and not theory or hypothesis. There seems to be a lot of bad ideas floating around. In this forum, there was a poster whom stated replacing the rear shocks is much like an e92 - apparently he has not done this himself. Shit I pulled out my trunk liner to look for the locking nut - wasn't there! Dropping the shock takes 3 upper bolts from the outside and the larger bolt from the bottom.

So please post your coilovers setup, tire makes, and sizes, and let me know how your ride handles in regards to road noise and performance. Just springs (h&r seems most ppl in this forum have), need not response because the top rubber bushing is kept. I would hate to replace with new tires only to find out the noise is attributed to how the coilovers are designed.
Calm down Cowboy! You're the ill-experienced one here. I'll humor you though...

....I've been modding cars since, well, FOREVER. I've run most of the popular aftermarket coilover suspensions at some point in my life (..TEIN's, Ground Control, KW's, TC Klines, among others......) on various BMW's - mostly M3's - and on various Honda Civics, and with the exception of the Civic's, the BMW's were always on 19" or 20" wheels. While I have never personally run the Bilstein PSS10's, I'm aware of their characteristics. Nobody was suggesting that you were imagining things and/or that your observations were unrelated. I don't quite know where you got that from.

I already told you, the car's sensitivity to ROAD IMPERFECTIONS and UNDULATIONS is due to your suspension set-up. You should've done your research if you didn't intend for those attributes to become part and part to your car's road-going behavior. ROAD NOISE can, and often is, attributed to the type of tire that you're riding on, but suspensions play a role in that as well. You will never completely alleviate the road noise with your set-up.

Yes, bad information is regurgitated on forums all of the time. It's unfortunate that you learned the hard way, but we all have been in your position at some point in time. Welcome to the forum!

Chew on that information and tip me later!

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 11-08-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #14
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep

Sedan, I see you have experience. I was hoping you would share some of your setups. This is my first bimmer, I've only worked on accords and civics.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_
Sedan, I see you have experience. I was hoping you would share some of your setups. This is my first bimmer, I've only worked on accords and civics.
Well, I don't remember each specific detail. On my E46 M3's I ran Type 1 & 2 TEIN coilovers with BBS LM's and OEM ZCP wheels mounted to Michelin Pilot Sports. I also ran the Ground Control and TC Kline kits with those wheels as well, and the OEM 19" polished wheel that came with the E46 at that time. Both of my E9X M3's were on EDC shocks with H&R's; 19" OEM polished wheels on the sedan and 19" ZCP and BBS LM's on the coupe. Both sets of wheels had Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

Most of that won't help you though. The Bilstein's are stiff. You are going to feel and hear the road in a much more visceral way. It doesn't help that the F30 isn't as sound proofed and insulated as other cars.
Appreciate 0