F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does 'Clunk'on driver's side of car = new steering rack.?
GetBMWParts

03-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #155
Rfc1970
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 Sport

I had same problem and a new rack was fitted last week £2572 inc vat but luckily 4 days out of warranty but dealer had to honour it as the end of warranty check was booked in outside warranty period in their error.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #156
Frosticles
Skint as always
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

Can feel the clonk in the front footwell.
      03-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #157
Duggy
Rep
Drives: The "clonk mobile"

Shit quality shit car. Can't wait till mine goes. Utter junk.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #158
J2G!
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Luxury

I now have the steering wheel clunk when stationary, and when moving the steering wheel slowly (when moving) lock to lock when parking. Feels like it goes loose and light for a second for a second like there is a stone under the tyre, makes a clunk then tightens up. Definitely feels like play in the rack. My car is a March 12 and luckily I got a free extended warranty from bmw as a result of all the other on going problems I have had - I need my sixth set of new rear lights due to condensation! I've said in previous posts I am so disappointed with the quality of new BMWs, drove my friends e46 last night and you realise how solid the older cars were! I will give them a chance to sort it but if it doesn't get resolved it's time for it to go before it starts costing me money!
      04-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #159
Duggy
Rep
Drives: The "clonk mobile"

You're too patient. At £36k I'd be demanding my money back if I owned it. Thankfully I don't so it's going back to the lease company this Friday to be swapped for a different brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #160
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggy View Post
You're too patient. At £36k I'd be demanding my money back if I owned it. Thankfully I don't so it's going back to the lease company this Friday to be swapped for a different brand.
Perhaps a little extreme but I support your point; it's only now that mines been replaced that I realise how bad it had got before.
      04-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #161
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Mark I think you have used the same local dealer as me? (barons Farnborough/ash vale) I'd be interested in hearing if yours returns at all and also what else they changed trying to resolve it prior to deciding it was the rack?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #162
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gembrain View Post
For those posting with problems are these with the standard rack, servotronic rack, or the VSS rack?

Thanks
I have VSS.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #163
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Mark I think you have used the same local dealer as me? (barons Farnborough/ash vale) I'd be interested in hearing if yours returns at all and also what else they changed trying to resolve it prior to deciding it was the rack?
I've used Barons for donkeys years...

It was booked in originally for a brake service but I also reported the knocking noise when turning and reversing into parking spaces. They identified a faulty OSF damper (or shock absorber as they called it) which was completely dry. After wrangling about ACS springs and them not covering under warranty (they did in the end), they replaced the damper and declared it fixed.

When I collected I demonstrated the knocking still being present and the head tech (Tim) immediately said 'steering rack, book it in for a week'. I did, they fixed it. Job done.

The advisor during this initial period was Sam - he was supposed to call me back and never did, then left to go to Alphabet.

I had to put lots of pressure on them subsequently to do things right (they still screwed up my headlight alignment on this last visit which I fixed myself yesterday), so my advice is to deal with Richard Jackson who was my Service Advisor; he did his very best to ensure everything was done and now I've calmed down about the headlights I think he did a decent job overall.

I'm not going to take it back especially for the lights, I'll just tell them next time I'm in.
      04-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #164
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

I've had 2 new steering racks.the car has never been in the dealership for more than 2 days having the new rack fitted.
A week off the road sounds ridiculous but I suppose if they give you a loaner,in reality,it makes no difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #165
adh325
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2016

Hi - car is currently at the dealership having its second rack fitted. Everyone else still having the same issues?

I know a lot of people are putting this down to BMW loosing their grip on quality etc, but to be honest I think it's the same story across the board. I bought a brand new car mainly for peice of mind, but unfortunately the car has experienced a catalogue of faults - some minor to be fair, but the major ones like total idrive screen failure, both horns stopping working, door lock sticking, and two steering racks stop you in your tracks. My other issues are things most people might overlook or just accept, like rattles, vibrations etc.

I had a C-Class before this, it wasn't much better to be honest. Before that I had an E39 - which was brilliant. Other than usual wear and tear it didn't miss a beat - and it got properly thrashed too.

Think back 15 years ago, BMW had half as many models as they do now and they concentrated development on those. Now they have so many crazy sub-categories and models I'm not surprised things have slipped. Jack of all trades - master of none.

Don't get me wrong, I still like BMW as a brand - but I won't be buying another brand new one, there's literally no point. Shame.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:20 AM   #166
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

I know its an old thread - but has anyone had a fix on this - especially now that the LCI is out?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #167
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post
I know its an old thread - but has anyone had a fix on this - especially now that the LCI is out?
No !
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #168
Steve Soper's love child
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive

After having the rack changed twice in the last six months I took the car back in last week due to the knocking returning. I went out with one of the techs in my own car than a x drive demonstrator, though without adaptive suspension. He couldn’t hear anything and felt there was no difference between the two cars, I disagreed. They x drive with adaptive suspension wasn’t in that day so I left it overnight as they identified that roll bar joint needed doing.
The next day I went out by myself in the demo car with adaptive suspension, again I felt there was a difference, but only just. At this point I was ready to concede that there wasn’t anything wrong as no one could hear what I could hear, including the service agent. So I went out with the Service Manager who agreed there was a difference. So after further playing around, including rocking each wheel back and forward horizontally without any load, they identified that the driver side front shock was f**ked, their words not mine. So all new front suspension including top mounts, the difference is like night and day.
I can now drive around in Sport + mode without the accompanying noises that got so bad that I often went back to comfort just for some peace and quite. However there is still suspension and run flats noise which you won’t get in other cars as the F30 just has loud suspension.
I know that LCI has different suspension set up and I do wonder if the play in the steering racks is a symptom not the cause of the knocking issues due to horizontal movement in suspension, possibly due to top mounts that aren’t simply up to the job. This would be more so for the x drives that have to do a lot more than the S drives.
While it was a pain having to do all the test drives I’m glad a persevered and to be honest I was surprised how patient the dealer (Sytner’s Sheffield) were with me. So big thanks to Simon and Dean.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #169
Frosticles
Skint as always
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

Mine is booked in for the second time on the 29th (First time it was decided......"No fault found"
      12-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #170
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Mine has a muted clunk sound when coming 'off' speed bumps. No BMW I have ever owned likes speed bumps, so slowly is the only speed when tackling speed bumps. Luckily, my wife has a 120d M Sport (we bought both cars at the same time, this time last year), so I use hers as a comparison to mine. Speed bumps in hers, no problem, no noise, no clunk, just solid and smooth.

I've been driving BMWs now for the past 17 years, and reading the posts in this thread has echoed exactly what I've experienced at the dealership, in that they seem far more geared to defending, justifying or denying there's a fault or issue than actually listening and trying to actively sort it out. I get the feeling that they think that complaining customers are a pain in the arise and need to be fobbed off if possible.

They are very good at stating that 'it's normal' and experts in insulting one's intelligence. If they shout about how great their cars are, then they should have the decency to make sure that they are! I have been faithful to BMW for 17 years now, and I know that their cars have improved, but so have other manufacturers, and that includes some unlikely marks. Today's manufacturing processes and current technology are now less of a secret within industry, so there's no excuse to be getting it wrong and especially no excuse to not be putting it right, when it is wrong.

We now hear stories about how little the dealerships actually do to the cars during major services and poor customer service by wanting said car 'all day' for 40 minutes or work. And, oh yes... we'll call you when it's ready for collection. They call me at about 4:30 pm to tell me the car is ready! Do they think that I'm sat on a wall, waiting up the road. I've now got to dash across suburbs of London to get there before they close.

It's just not what it used to be! I'm seriously going to be looking at another brand next time, but... are they all the same??? I want prestige, build quality, performance, reliability, and good service. If I can't get it, I'd rather do without and drive about in something I have absolutely no expectations of.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #171
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
For those of you with this issue, does it sound like this:

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #172
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

No.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #173
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I've just had my VSS steering rack replaced on pre-LCI [Sept 2013] M135i by BMW.

Car went in due to a random OSF rattle/rumble that they 1st thought was due to adaptive dampers. The PUMA adaptive FW flash was done but didn't cure it in my case.

Since above updates and new EPS rack, adaptive damper responses and hence road manners are much better compared to previously.

EPS has better responses c/w more feel in comfort mode such that differential in feel between comfort and sport feels less.

Last edited by Bee Pee; 04-26-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #174
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: AH3

Bumping old thread! My car has the clunk/knocking noise in the steering. Took it to the dealer: Steering rack. They quoted 2500$.
Hopefully it can be repaired under warranty (still have 14 months).
Appreciate 0